Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default all modified car owners.......tell me what u think

howdy peoples,
i have a problem people and its been bugging me for some time now. I dont know wether this is the best area on this website to put this on but hey everyone will have a read...(maybe one of the moderates will move it and put a sticky on it??)

motoring enthusiasts(hoons as perceived by media and ignorant pr*cks) have a bad image problem. media, public and polictians love to beat up on us. yet we pay a huge amount on vehicles. everything from finance, cpt, rego, petrol, tyres etc etc. yet we have no one to come out and state "not this is not right" or a lobby group that really protects our interests. no one is out there willing to put a defamation case into the courts against police, pollie or some idiot like Harold Scruby(the president of the pedestrian council of australia) who likes to get on TV and bleat every time someone goes over the speed limit by 2k/ph

heres just a couple of articles of that fantastic website News.com
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/com...45-2761,00.html

now some of these comments border on total control and dictatorship of what we like doing with OUR Money

what i was thinking is starting up a website (something along the lines of Road users group of australia, otr if u guys can think of something) and inviting all people who use forums(not just thine one, but full boost, commodore ones etc to log on and start a group that actually has a voice.

i think one of the reasons we dont get looked after is the fact we are not as organised as these other groups eg. Pedestrian coucil of australia.

let me know what u guys think. any ideas, comments, emails would be greatly appreciated

cheers
Talal

ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Link doesn't work mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
Link doesn't work mate.
True, an inauspicious start to an otherwise popular thread.....................

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol my apologies. i have found it again
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...5-2761,00.html

there was like 500+ responses to this article....
Old 28-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting article, i wouldn't class "High powered cars" as V8s though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you mean a website/group of people defending P platers and people with loud cars? Probably wouldnt work, as the only members would be us P platers.

edit: I misunderstood what you said, but it probably still wouldnt work. If you had both sorts of people on there (ie - bored soccer mums in prado's that do 40 in 60 zones and then 18 year olds in rice that sit on the speed limit or just over) it would be a constant fight.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
lol my apologies. i have found it again
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...5-2761,00.html

there was like 500+ responses to this article....

The article concentrates on P plate drivers not modified car owners as a whole.

Why do P platers see these issues as a personal attack, it's only for a few years whilst still learning not a lifetime.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I do agree that there is harsh treatment against modified car owners. thats all i have to say.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think some are missing the point, im only using this article as a response tool. its not a lobby group for p platers. its a lobby group for drivers as a whole , specifically aimed at the performance car culture. every few weeks there is an article on "hoons" , "dangerous drivers" "drivers flouting safety laws" etc etc and every time one of these comes out theres a pic of some car doing a burnout. when really was the last time you guys saw a pollie come out and look after your interests? we pay thru the a**hole for the privelige of driving on roads. we all know a decent exhaust is actually better for te enviroment as a free breathing car actually has less emissions. we all know a slightly lowered car doesnt mean you are going to crash into a bus stop as soon as the key is in the ignition. why should we always all be tarred with the same brush for the effects of the few? milton orkpolous was a pollie who was a pedo. if we ran around calling all pollies pedo how qquick would we be put thru the courts for defamation? before you guys say that an extreme example, yes it is, buts its only an example
Old 28-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #10
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whoops edit* you guys alrady made the distinction, delete my first line and go with the rest... racv does nothing for us. raa does nothing etc etc. if harold scruby can have a voice and he doesnt knwo what he is talking about half the time, why cant we?
Old 28-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
The article concentrates on P plate drivers not modified car owners as a whole.

Why do P platers see these issues as a personal attack, it's only for a few years whilst still learning not a lifetime.
I agree with that ..... but I read it as:
P platers that drive V8's, or modified cars are ALL hoons and need them confiscated and sold!

Its the flow on that effects many that's starting to really get to me. Those who drives modified, loud, cars that are being branded as hoons. If you drive a V8, you must be a hoon. Why else would you drive one! Its a perseption that is being pushed hard at them moment ..... and is very one sided. Sometimes I'll give it a squirt but most of the time I really do behave impeccably

Boy I hate that word 'Hoon'. Its getting thrown around way too much at the moment

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i think some are missing the point, im only using this article as a response tool. its not a lobby group for p platers. its a lobby group for drivers as a whole , specifically aimed at the performance car culture. every few weeks there is an article on "hoons" , "dangerous drivers" "drivers flouting safety laws" etc etc and every time one of these comes out theres a pic of some car doing a burnout. when really was the last time you guys saw a pollie come out and look after your interests? we pay thru the a**hole for the privelige of driving on roads. we all know a decent exhaust is actually better for te enviroment as a free breathing car actually has less emissions. we all know a slightly lowered car doesnt mean you are going to crash into a bus stop as soon as the key is in the ignition. why should we always all be tarred with the same brush for the effects of the few? milton orkpolous was a pollie who was a pedo. if we ran around calling all pollies pedo how qquick would we be put thru the courts for defamation? before you guys say that an extreme example, yes it is, buts its only an example
Yeah, we all know its stupid, but it aint gonna change.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #13
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

exactly auslandau. thats the point im trying to get across.....

oxford english dictionary for "hoon"

hoon
Austral./NZ informal

• noun a lout.

• verb behave like a lout.

— ORIGIN of unknown origin

it doesnt even relate to us!!
Old 29-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #14
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All these overpowered cars and yet no one ever remembers the excel that crashed in a power pole at 65kmhr and killed a young p plater woman. Or a "agreessive" driver in a camry that was speeding excessively...

At least the v8 does have decent brakes and suspension. But i would question why a p plater would need/have a v8 .

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #15
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I don't drive a "modified" car at the moment but I agree that tarring everyone with the same brush is just wrong. It'd be more sensable to say you can have the cars but the first time you get caught doing stupid speeds* or smoking it up in the middle of an intersection etc. then you lose your car and we sell it. Taking the parents car first time up is a bit harsh; maybe put the parents on notice that next time idiot driver gets caught driving the car it's gone, that way they'd ban said idiot from driving it.

Bushbasher

*stupid speeds would have to be more than just getting pinged for being 5-10ks' over the limit, say anything more than 20km/h over for example.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #16
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
But i would question why a p plater would need/have a v8 .
Why does anyone need a V8?
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #17
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
why does anyone need more than 4 bedrooms in a house? why does anyone need a 6 burner bbq? why does anyone need....

seriously, what sort of question is that. its personal choice and the day people stop being allowed to make their own choices seems to be coming with increasing speed.

i could drive around in a bf xt and not be judged but if i had an e series v8 all of a sudden i would be viewed differently. the facts remain as far as car performance goes, the bf has more power and torque and is quicker all round.

i drive a modified v8 and as auslandau has said, it really does start to get frustrating when we all get tarred with the same brush.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #18
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
Because I want one, I paid for one and I choose to have one.

Why doesn't EVERYONE need a V8 is the question.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #19
azaxr8

I am a P plater driving a ba xr8. Had it for just under 12 months now. I'm still alive. Go figure?
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #20
manxman
Old Granny Driver

I do remember my early driving & riding. I couldn't afford to hoon around, as I had to do my own repairs, and pay for my own rare parts. I learned to drive moderately, and avoid that which would cost me time or money I wanted to spend elsewhere. Perhaps young people are relatively richer now than than I was then, but self denial is not often taught in society these days, and young peoples brains are still forming whilst they get their first license.

I don't mind modified cars-on the track-not the road. Public roads are not racetracks, and must not be treated like them. It's too risky, and the ambos/fireys are too often too far away to help out in time. Just because one person can control a vehicle at high speed, doesn't mean any others can too, and pedestrians have rights and needs. All drivers MUST know that 'the unexpected' is a frequent & normal occurrence, and drive accordingly.

It's your money, as you say, & you are free to spend it as you please. You are to drive within the laws of the land, which are made for the common good. You are also free to campain for change to the law. We do live in a democracy!

I spend some of my cash on a dirt bike, and then I travel to an approved recreational area to ride it. I could zip it around the roads quite easily, but I don't, I go to the appropriate place to run my sports machine. I accept the extra cost of transporting it to & from, and I am pro-active by having good communications access whilst there, and I NEVER go alone. Even so, I do not abandon all restraints when there, because it's a shared area with inexperienced/careless minors, and there are blind corners, trees, rocks and treacherous surfaces-making caution necessary. It's not a racetrack either, and tho' several other ride as if it is, I choose not to. We've had several fatalities there over recent years, people riding too hard, or too carelessly. Many of them ride very selfishly, raising dust without regard for others, esp the quad riders & 4WD's-who often rip up the access roads (with their doughnuts) and turn everything into corrugations and irrepairable dust bowls.
manxman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #21
manxman
Old Granny Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaxr8
I am a P plater driving a ba xr8. Had it for just under 12 months now. I'm still alive. Go figure?
Rules are both proven and disproven by the exceptions. You may have been fortunate, or you may have been wise, but arrogance will get you no-where. Unfortunately, the accident statistics force certain conclusions-and whilst there are individual exceptions, licensing authorities are not reliable fortune tellers, and they have to take precautions according to the perceived risk to the general population. I believe that P platers MUST be restricted in KW, cylinders and GVM, and also passenger types and numbers 4 Cars & m/cycles. Actually, I believe in progressively punative intelligent speed limiters, which will allow a limited blast over 110kph, then hold you at, say, 105 for a while, and the more you ride the governor, the longer & lower the permitted max speed. The insurance companies should be demanding such to be fitted and working to qualify for payout. The technology is already available, and cheap!
manxman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Loving some of the responses here. should driver training be incorperated into getting your license? skidpan?night driving? evasive action training? is it worth us having a voice?
Old 29-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxman
Rules are both proven and disproven by the exceptions. You may have been fortunate, or you may have been wise, but arrogance will get you no-where. Unfortunately, the accident statistics force certain conclusions-and whilst there are individual exceptions, licensing authorities are not reliable fortune tellers, and they have to take precautions according to the perceived risk to the general population. I believe that P platers MUST be restricted in KW, cylinders and GVM, and also passenger types and numbers 4 Cars & m/cycles. Actually, I believe in progressively punative intelligent speed limiters, which will allow a limited blast over 110kph, then hold you at, say, 105 for a while, and the more you ride the governor, the longer & lower the permitted max speed. The insurance companies should be demanding such to be fitted and working to qualify for payout. The technology is already available, and cheap!
Well said.

Quote:
Loving some of the responses here. should driver training be incorperated into getting your license? skidpan?night driving? evasive action training? is it worth us having a voice?
Driver training is already part of getting your license...
Its fine to have a voice, but for that voice to carry value or worth its will "sound louder" with many years of experience behind it...

Old 29-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #24
Plugg3r
Bogan w/ Wheels?

It's BS..

I'm 18 and own a XR6 Turbo utility.
Now i haven't crashed in 3 yrs of driving, nor have been close to.
Sure I get the urges to give her a tromping and watch the old speedo go of tits.
But even my 45yr old father does that :P

Stupid politicians and there small minds!

Now the P Plate crash statistics, what do they state for 4cyl, 6cyl and 8cyl..
I'd dare dare 4cyl will probably be the highest.

Glad im of my P's now.. Good old NT!
Old 29-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got to love the theory that because a few people can manage to drive safely or avoid issue with it then the rest must automatically be ok with it and mature/experienced enough too....

Oh, wouldnt it also stand to reason that statistically the incident of P platers having accidents in V8's and high powered cars is low because they're not legally allowed to drive them in the first place??!!

Old 29-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #26
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

1. Selling a car that belongs to a parent is a bit excessive. A person can't be punished because one of their idiot kids takes their car.

2. If a car was to be comprehensively insured, then I think a P-Plater should be allowed to drive whatever car they like. If they're stupid enough to speed and write it off because they were being stupid, then they're going to have to continue pay for any costs they are out-of-pocket eg. Increase of premiums and an inflated excess.

3. It's not hard to find a defensive driving course in your local area, if you think your responsible enough to have your license then your more than capable to attend one of these courses.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #27
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
1. Selling a car that belongs to a parent is a bit excessive. A person can't be punished because one of their idiot kids takes their car.
Maybe they're trying to put more pressure and ownership back onto parents for their kids behavior and upbringing?
Quote:
2. If a car was to be comprehensively insured, then I think a P-Plater should be allowed to drive whatever car they like. If they're stupid enough to speed and write it off because they were being stupid, then they're going to have to continue pay for any costs they are out-of-pocket eg. Increase of premiums and an inflated excess.
That's all good and well till said P Plater looses control of dads F6 through an over exhuberant right foot and plows through your wife and kids innocently coming the otherway killing them..

Quote:
3. It's not hard to find a defensive driving course in your local area, if you think your responsible enough to have your license then your more than capable to attend one of these courses.
Agreed, there are plenty of defensive driver courses available for everyone, people should take responsibility for their own ability.

Old 29-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #28
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Got to love the theory that because a few people can manage to drive safely or avoid issue with it then the rest must automatically be ok with it and mature/experienced enough too....

Oh, wouldnt it also stand to reason that statistically the incident of P platers having accidents in V8's and high powered cars is low because they're not legally allowed to drive them in the first place??!!
only in some states are they not allowed to drive v8's, SA you still can.
look we all know that v8's can be dangerous and maybe not the best thing in the hands of "inexpreienced drivers", but a decent cam/lifters/5sped gearbox and a set of 3.9s can make any car launch pretty hard.
"isnt everyone "inexperienced" when the first drive a v8? should buying a v8 come with compulsory 20 hour defensive training above what we already have??
Old 29-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
only in some states are they not allowed to drive v8's, SA you still can.
look we all know that v8's can be dangerous and maybe not the best thing in the hands of "inexpreienced drivers", but a decent cam/lifters/5sped gearbox and a set of 3.9s can make any car launch pretty hard.
"isnt everyone "inexperienced" when the first drive a v8? should buying a v8 come with compulsory 20 hour defensive training above what we already have??
I think the problem is more the lack of maturity than just experience.....
I have no problem accepting any licensed driver could safely navigate a high powered car around without issue if properly supervised, restrained or just driven sensibly, the problem comes when temptation over rides common sense....

Old 29-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #30
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
That's all good and well till said P Plater looses control of dads F6 through an over exhuberant right foot and plows through your wife and kids innocently coming the otherway killing them..
My mistake, I was trying to convay that this was reliant on the car being registered and insured in the name of the P-Plate driver.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post