Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Crazy speedo top speed

Hi all,
Got int the company car today (a Holden Astra AH ) (yes I know) and was driving along being careful of my speed (school zones are back).

What began to drive me crazy was the top speed on the speedo, wait for it

260 !!!

Now it might be a fast car but 260. With such crazy numbers it makes it hard and annoying to read quickly your speed around the now common 40, 50 and 60 mark.

With speed cameras pulling drivers at lower tolerances, wouldn't it be great if manufactures would be sensible speed settings on an analog display.

If I'm 2 or 3 k's over the speed limit I want to be able to see if quick and easy. Not stop and read my speed with a microscope.

(and don't' ask about the tacho, it goes up to 8,000 (must be a rotary engine)

Uncle Ken

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

no no you missed the point... thats the holden subliminal advertising machine at work

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

It's a valid point, maybe a mandated digital speed readout on the dash in conjunction would help. Makes me pity the guy trying to keep his Veyron at 25kph through a school zone - almost...
Old 03-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Diesel versions can and will sit on 240km/h, got to remember these cars are built and designed in Europe where they have a more commonsense approach to 'driving'.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
john3136

I'd have paid a few $$ to have had the speedo on my Territory only go to say 120.
It really is stupid to have 1/2 the speedo never used, and the 1/2 you do want such that 1 needle width is the difference between getting a fine or not.
john3136 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Uncle_Ken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3136
I'd have paid a few $$ to have had the speedo on my Territory only go to say 120.
It really is stupid to have 1/2 the speedo never used, and the 1/2 you do want such that 1 needle width is the difference between getting a fine or not.
Thats kind of the angle I am coming from.
I know that the main issue is it an analog display (digital would have no problems at all.)

Got any pics of your display?

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 04-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cluster in a LV focus XR5T - speedo goes to 280 kmh and tach goes to 8krpm and no I dont have a problem reading it, maybe the holden one is just crap - with any dial type gage the outer diameter or "ring" size is critical when you want to put lots of graduations on it maybe the astra one not only goes to 260 but is very small radius as well on the ring with the speed lines. Or maybe the focus one is just a better design maybe when the astra is due for retirement work will get a focus?

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Hi all,
What began to drive me crazy was the top speed on the speedo, wait for it

260 !!!
wow, even my xr8 only goes to 260 (but at least it could actually do it )

i guess it is pretty silly for australia to be making cars that can do 1 1/2 times the speed limit. either the cars or the speed limits need to change :togo:

oh yeah, dash pic

Last edited by aussie muscle; 04-02-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: add picture
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Bundy has it right, if you went to Holden and their car speedo went to 260 and then Ford and the equivalent car speedo only went to 120, most would assume the Holden was faster, sad but true.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Diesel versions can and will sit on 240km/h, got to remember these cars are built and designed in Europe where they have a more commonsense approach to 'driving'.
True, but the same car will have subtle differences to cater for the country and market they are sold in. But then you can also say that a person who chooses to race their car on a private track will want that speedo.

I agree however, for most drivers here a speedo that goes that high is useless, even if the car has the ability to reach such speeds.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Just because your Speedo goes to 260 doesn’t automatically mean people will try and reach that, but agreed with Speedo’s in some models being hard to read or too cluttered especially when you have morons like VICTORIA with 3k and you’re done for being a menace to society crap.

I always found the XR series from BA onwards a pain in the ....... to read at a glance but the one in my IS300 extremely easy to read, Aurion's are the hardest to gauge whats going on with out taking a full assessment and eyes off the road completely, something I think manufactures take form over function on to easily.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t

cluster in a LV focus XR5T - speedo goes to 280 kmh and tach goes to 8krpm and no I dont have a problem reading it, maybe the holden one is just crap - with any dial type gage the outer diameter or "ring" size is critical when you want to put lots of graduations on it maybe the astra one not only goes to 260 but is very small radius as well on the ring with the speed lines. Or maybe the focus one is just a better design maybe when the astra is due for retirement work will get a focus?
Doesn't really make sense that any cars that are to be sold here as new (that pass Australian Standards, ANCAP, etc etc) have a speedometer that reads that high...

Realistically anyone with an astra, xr5, or XR8 for that matter, are VERY unlikely to have the needle even get CLOSE to the top speed...
They'll most likely never drive at that speed...
And if they were driving at that speed, I'm tipping that the last thing that you'll be looking at is the speedo (things come at you quick at 200km/h)...

Maybe its all too hard for manufacturers to re-cal the speedo...

I had a VZ Commo wagon that had digital display on the speedo as well as analogue, and I became so dependant on those 2 (and sometimes 3) numbers, that I really struggled reading the needle in my other cars...

Something to think about...
Old 04-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #13
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

^^ why dont we all just drive a golf TDI or prius on that premus then?

Old 04-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you can`t see the 40 mark easily get some white double sided tape cut a triangle out and fix it to the spot on the speedo needed .........$2.00 no drama.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #15
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Most cars sold in Australia are designed and built for other, mostly LHD, markets first. It doesn't stop them re-engineering to put the steering wheel on the other side, but for some reason does stop them putting convex mirrors on the other side.

My point is, if it were legislated that speedo's only read to, say 140kph (but the max speed of the car is not interfered with), so that if you go over 140, you don't know how fast you are going, and are therefore probably less likely to want to do it) then all cars sold in Australia would then only read to 140.

I bet that if that were legislated, the car makers would pretty quickly be able to modify the clusters to accommodate. It wouldn't be more than a $5 job per vehicle.

I reckon that simple and inexpensive step could have a major impact on speeding, and save the punters heaps in camera fines (and that's no doubt why such a simple piece of legislation will never occur).

Another easy way to deal with it would be a 'dual speed' speedo needle, where it has large graduations on the first half of the dial 0 - 100, and then small graduations on the other half of the dial 100 - 280. The drive ratio on the speedo would change from 100 onwards and 'slow the needle down'.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #16
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
^^ why dont we all just drive a golf TDI or prius on that premus then?
Do they have speedo's that only go to 140km/h??
Old 04-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #17
XRSEX
More money would be great

Always wondered what the deal is there lol. Dads Holden Combo goes up to 200 I think.

Come on, it's a bloody COMBO lol
XRSEX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #18
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
Another easy way to deal with it would be a 'dual speed' speedo needle, where it has large graduations on the first half of the dial 0 - 100, and then small graduations on the other half of the dial 100 - 280. The drive ratio on the speedo would change from 100 onwards and 'slow the needle down'.
Some cars have this already. Note I doubt there are any cable-driven speedos any more, so it is just a matter of electronics.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
myxr6
Banned

I saw this in a camero years ago in Hawaii and thought it looked interesting.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Some cars have this already. Note I doubt there are any cable-driven speedos any more, so it is just a matter of electronics.
Yep, that would be true. Electronic componentry is also amongst the cheapest and easiest things to do on a car as well, from a manufacturer's point of view, and one of the best money spinners as well because they charge the earth to plug in options to the existing loom for it.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
Chopped
as in chopped

The sooner they get with the times and plonk a LCD screen with fully customizable speedo, tacho, oil pressure etc..the better.
(would probably be cheaper as well)
Old 04-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #22
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
...My point is, if it were legislated that speedo's only read to, say 140kph (but the max speed of the car is not interfered with), so that if you go over 140, you don't know how fast you are going, and are therefore probably less likely to want to do it) then all cars sold in Australia would then only read to 140....
Maybe they need to take a leaf out of the Japanese car building book.
All JDM vehicles (regardless of make) have a speedo that only goes up to 180km/h.
Even my 206kw twin turbo Legacy B4 (JDM) still only has a 180km/h speedo, yet when Subaru imported them here (ADM) they specified a 240km/h speedo, go figure!!!

I fully agree with the above statement..
Old 04-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #23
Uncle_Ken

Wow great comments guys.
I have been thinking more and more about a good heads up display (HUD) for my AU.
HUDS for me make it quick and easy to read/see what speed/revs you are doing but still have your eyes on the road.
Lets face it since HUDS have used in fighter planes since WWII, they must be the best way to do two things at the one time (and no I don't mean the twins on the Playboy Mansion)

UK
Old 04-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #24
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Yes because we have to legislate everything for the dumbest denominator. FFS having a reading on a Speedo doesn’t make you want to speed why are we living in a time where you have to save yourself from yourself FFS this is getting beyond a joke.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #25
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Do they have speedo's that only go to 140km/h??
No but by your theory we aren’t allowed to accelerate hard, try and push our vehicles, or enjoy a good exhaust note above a mouse squeak so why bother even having a car that excites?

point Im making is that on the track the car may well reach 200+, an XR5 with boost upgrade more than likely would so applying the same theory, if its not allowed on the road, we may as well make race tracks redundant, and just all drive something that is about as exiting as my kelvinator.

:

Old 04-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #26
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes because we have to legislate everything for the dumbest denominator. FFS having a reading on a Speedo doesn’t make you want to speed why are we living in a time where you have to save yourself from yourself FFS this is getting beyond a joke.
Yes, it is beyond a joke, but the cretins keep killing themselves so things need to be done to curtail it. Would you prefer speed governors or power restrictions like Japans 206kw limit?

If it's not legislated, do you think any of the manufacturers would do any safety or engineering change beyond a bare minimum from the goodness of their own hearts? Do you think anyone would be Euro 4 compliant or have a crumple zone? Legislation of ADRs keeps all manufacturers level on the basics.

If you can explain one single advantage in having a speedo that reads 280kph in a commuter vehicle, then I'll humbly retract everything I've said.

Further - I ride motorbikes, they have speedos that read up to 300kph. I have explored the upper limits of that. If it only read to 140, there's no way I'd have bothered to see what she's got. I road race a bike as well, without a speedo on it and estimate speeds of up to 280 on the main straight at Phillip Island, but really don't want to know the true speed.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #27
balthazarr

What's wrong with a speedo indicating the maximum speed that a car will travel (or even slightly above)?

Sure, the speed limit is 110km/h on public roads - who says the car is always driven on public roads?

Also, FPVs (at least from FG) have graduated speedos - below 140km/h each 'tick' on the speedo indicates 5km/h - above this speed, each tick represents 10km/h
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #28
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No but by your theory we aren’t allowed to accelerate hard, try and push our vehicles, or enjoy a good exhaust note above a mouse squeak so why bother even having a car that excites?

point Im making is that on the track the car may well reach 200+, an XR5 with boost upgrade more than likely would so applying the same theory, if its not allowed on the road, we may as well make race tracks redundant, and just all drive something that is about as exiting as my kelvinator.

:
C'mon. Very VERY few people take their cars to the track. This line of reasoning for the very small minority goes nowhere. Accelleration and 'pushing the vehicle hard' rarely mean reaching 280kph,even on a track, and more to the point if you spend too much time worrying about your speedo on the track, you are either going to end up in the kitty litter or up someone's **** real quick.

If you can modify a track car in every way possible, why couldn't you modify a speedo as well to indicate true speed, for track purposes? More to the point - if you are into serious track work you've probably got a lap timer that tells you everything you need to know as well.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #29
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxr6
I saw this in a camero years ago in Hawaii and thought it looked interesting.
Whats a Camero??

Camaro....?? Oh... I get it...
Old 04-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #30
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:

:
Wow... you really didn't read what I wrote did you???

Since when has acceleration had ANYTHING to do with this conversation??? I'm pretty sure that acceleration has NOTHING to do with TOP SPEED...
Never said anything about exhausts sounding pretty (I thought people got exhausts for the performance aspect, not just for 'the noise' but anyway) nor did I say anything about pushing cars to limits...
If you want to go and drive 200km/h on a public road - go for it... I hope you get caught and don't wipe out anyone innocent in the process...

I'll give you a hot tip UNR8D... did you know that a car without a SPEEDO actually can still drive at a speed?? It is not the Speedo that determines how fast the car goes...
Even if the dial of the speedometer only read 140km/h - nobody has even suggested that we speed limit the cars to that speed (not in this thread anyways)...

So - you get your (insert car name here) that is capable of WELL over 140km/h... thats fine... on the track it will still go faster than the 140km/h... just won't tell you that on the dial... So when you do drive it on the street, you can tell when you are over the limit... Instead of needing a microscope to check if you are doing 60 or 65...

Anyone here who actually races cars would tell you that RPM and what gear you are in is way more helpful than an actual Speedometer... and you race by feel...

When you're coming into an apex of a corner, you do it by feel and not by what the needle on the speedo is saying... the dash is the last place i'm looking when i'm on the thin edge of traction....

:yourself...