Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 'Ghost city' rises over China skyline

Quote:
'Ghost city' rises over China skyline

Residents in the eastern Chinese city of Huanshan were mystified when an enormous city rose over the city's skyline on a misty evening earlier this month.

The giant mirage complete with tall buildings, mountains and trees appeared across the skyline after heavy downpour and humid conditions along the Xin'an River.

As mist settled over the river, the life-size city appeared from nowhere, leading residents to wonder if the vision was a "vortex" to a lost civilisation.

"It's really amazing, it looks like a scene in a movie, in a fairlyland," one resident was quoted by the Daily Mail as saying.

She said that a number of similar sights had been seen recently although this one was the most spectacular.

The mysterious city vanished just as quickly as it had appeared. Scientists have since rejected the vortex theory and say the incredible sight was a mirage.

A mirage is an optical illusion in which distant objects are reflected by a layer of hot air just above ground level.

Mirages occur naturally when moisture in the air rises above the temperature of water below.
Video:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/...china-skyline/

ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Default Re: 'Ghost city' rises over China skyline

I dont get that video. All it looks like is we are looking at a few buildings. Are they not supposed to be there? Why didnt they take a video once the fog had gone so we could compare?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah im at a loss too.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a feeling it's something lost in translation...Yahoo probably stuffed up!
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
I have a feeling it's something lost in translation...Yahoo probably stuffed up!

hahahah...

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
nstg8a

those buildings are not really there, theyre normally over the horizon out of sight. the mist and sunlight combined to cause the mirages.

or something like that. it was just on the 7pm project.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

It's a Chris Angel - Mindfreak

It is pretty amazing that a mirage that big appeared and was filmed. It looks real doesn't it!
Old 27-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I've done a bit of reserching and according to google earth there is heaps of land around that site it cant just be nothing visible there. I would really like to see a photo from that same spot when its normal.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man, imagine if you went to your favorite beach and on arrival you noticed there was a city on the horizon through the thick fog when normally all you can see is water.
You would **** bricks.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
bigmanny

I don't understand the video like most of you, but **** like that amazes me while also freaking me out. It's cool knowing that through all the **** we as humans have discovered, there is so much stuff out there that we don't know about and may never know enough about
bigmanny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 03:54 AM   #11
kpcart
Banned

theres a couple other vids on youtube besides the yahoo one posted here. those buildings arent there normally, but it is a mirage. but what an amazing mirage! ive never seen a mirage before besides the usual water you see in the distance on a highway drive. in some other videos you see people interviewed and they are saying how they cannot believe what they are seeing. apparently the mirage is an optical illusion caused by condensation or humidity refelecting buildings from a distance. From what i have read on the internet, this chinese incident is probably the best ever recorded incident of a mirage. sure beats the mirages that bugs bunny used to see in the old looney tunes cartoons.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post