Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2007, 01:28 AM   #1
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

Question Tinted tail lights

Im after a place in melbourne that will tint my taillights.
I have an ego Territory and the red on the taillights just stands out like dogs......
I'm not prepard to go and do the 'do it yourself tin' from Autobarn as this doesnt look good IMO.
Iv'e been told the right way is a couple drops of black into some clear. (keeps the glossy look)
Iv'e tried a couple spray painters but they haven't done it before and are a bit reluctant to.

Does anyone no of a place that has done them before?

PS. PLEASE no posts on weather YOU like them or not, just some info on any places that you know of that do tinting.

Cheers

also selling my C.A.P.A tune box

pics of my Turbo Ghia are here
EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
T-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
Angelmon
Starter Motor

do it yourself tin for autobarn works reali good you just have to evan it out
Angelmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelmon
x2 on that one.
rub the lenses back and spray 1 coat at a time until they are the darkness you want.
thats all you need to do.
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't it illegal?
Old 14-11-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Isn't it illegal?

Depends how many coats you do.
Alot of people do this to magnas and they've never really been pulled up.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

Quote:
Isn't it illegal?
yeah and so's my 22'' rims

Iv'e seen the spray on tin and it doesn't come up as shiney as the original plastic. Which you should get doing it the right way. Plus if i stuff it up then im up for a new pair of taillights.

Come on guys where are you?
Iv'e seen some awesome shiney tinted taillights on cars on the road, someone must know of a place.

EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
Old 15-11-2007, 01:42 AM   #7
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Not sure if this is much help but I used to have my taillights on my EB tinted pretty much black! I got new second hand taillights and lightly tinted them from the reflector down (amber indicator), I also did this on the Fairmont boot garnish. Then I gave them a decent few coats of clear, waited a few days and used 2000 grit wet and dry sandpaper and rubbed them back a bit, then used K n H Buff n Shine. I also used a finer rubbing compound called Farecla (dont think thats spelt right sorry) G4. It's brought the taillights up pretty shiney, similar to the paint work.
Its not quite as good as the standard plastic shine, but its not too far off it.

In order to your question sorry I dont know any places that do it. I guess just keep asking around and you'll be sure to find a place that can do it.
Old 15-11-2007, 01:46 AM   #8
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
Not sure if this is much help but I used to have my taillights on my EB tinted pretty much black! I got new second hand taillights and lightly tinted them from the reflector down (amber indicator), I also did this on the Fairmont boot garnish. Then I gave them a decent few coats of clear, waited a few days and used 2000 grit wet and dry sandpaper and rubbed them back a bit, then used K n H Buff n Shine. I also used a finer rubbing compound called Farecla (dont think thats spelt right sorry) G4. It's brought the taillights up pretty shiney, similar to the paint work.
Its not quite as good as the standard plastic shine, but its not too far off it.

In order to your question sorry I dont know any places that do it. I guess just keep asking around and you'll be sure to find a place that can do it.
Cheers for the info man but im no good with stuff like that. I'd rather pay a pro.

EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
Old 15-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #9
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My cousin had tinted tail lights on his Commodore and a Merc drove straight up his behind. Anyway the police initially were going to charge the Merc until they saw the tinted tail lights and defected his Commodore. The Merc driver took it to court and won claiming he couldn't see the brake lights come on, my cousins insurance company didn't want to touch him.

Not preaching, just letting you know someone elses bad experience.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #10
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Isn't it illegal?
It IS illegal.
Also, there aren't too many insurance company's who would pay a claim if someone rear ended a vehicle that had (non factory) tinted tail lights, in fact it could be argued as having been the cause of the rear ending in the first place regardless of how light or dark they are.: I'd call around & ask a few before pursuing this mod!

As merlin said! (beat me to it).
Old 15-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #11
knighto42

I thought about it a while back but decided against it for insurance reasons, but there is a place in Sydney that does them. They're not a site sponsor though, and they're interstate from you - but they'd basically send you a set of tinted ones and you'd send your originals back. Anyway - if you want their phone number pm me.
knighto42 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #12
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd.
Depends how many coats you do.
Alot of people do this to magnas and they've never really been pulled up.
RALLIART RICE. !!!
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
RUKIDN
Missing the boost :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
It IS illegal.
Also, there aren't too many insurance company's who would pay a claim if someone rear ended a vehicle that had (non factory) tinted tail lights, in fact it could be argued as having been the cause of the rear ending in the first place regardless of how light or dark they are.: I'd call around & ask a few before pursuing this mod!

As merlin said! (beat me to it).
I understand why insurance places dont like them, i had quite a few close calls and horns blaring at me when i had tinted lights on my old e-series, i did it myself from autobarn. Thing is i didnt do it too dark but once your driving with the glary summer sun behind you... its a accident wating to happen. I had to replace them to ease my concerns lol
good luck anyways mate maybe professional made ones are designed to be safer.

chris.
RUKIDN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelmon
Poor evan. :(
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #15
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go and see a spray painter. They will add black tinter with gloss clear coat.

Then spray the lights with as many coats to get the required colour.

I had mine done that way and I just polish the lights as well when the car gets done.

Here's a before and after shot to give you a bit of an idea of how they will look.
I didn't go too dark, so as not to attract to much attention from the authorities.

The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #16
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
Go and see a spray painter. They will add black tinter with gloss clear coat.

Then spray the lights with as many coats to get the required colour.

I had mine done that way and I just polish the lights as well when the car gets done.

Here's a before and after shot to give you a bit of an idea of how they will look.
I didn't go too dark, so as not to attract to much attention from the authorities.

Thats the look im after. not tinted black. just enough to take the brightness of the red away.
Something like the tint on your tailights would never be a worry with insurance, because it's so suttle unless you where told you wouldn't pick up on it. Unfortunatly i haven't found a spay painter to do it.

Thanks for your concerns about insurance guys but im not wanting to go black like some of the home jobs iv'e seen on the road.

I'll take you up on that offer knighto42 just incase i cant find somewhere close

EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :