Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Chevrolet SS not dead yet: Product chief suggests replacement V8 performance sedan on its way

"We all thought that the Holden Commodore-based Chevrolet SS performance sedan would be dead when General Motors shut down its Australian production facility in 2017. But that may not be the case.

Based on a discussion at the 2016 New York motor show with Chevrolet Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser, CarAdvice has learnt there’s a strong chance of an all-new Chevrolet SS performance sedan replacing the Holden-built model.

When the topic of the Chevrolet SS was brought up with Oppenheiser, who also oversees that model in the US market, he spoke openly about how the car has gotten better over time, despite sales not taking the company by storm.

“It sells what it’s supposed to,” he said. “And we haven’t announced an end date to it, so we’re just … we know that there are some decisions made on the Zeta [platform], that are imminent, and right now we’re just focused on the new ’17 model, which is great. It has the LS3 with the manual and the active exhausts, and it’s a great car.”

We got stuck on the point about not setting an end date. With Holden having announced it will shut down manufacturing in 2017, we thought that was a pretty concise point at which there would be no more Chevrolet SS models.

As such, when we put it to Oppenheiser that the Holden-made SS would be a good note to go out on for the Chevrolet SS, he said this:

“I didn’t say we were going out. I didn’t say it, he said it,” Oppenheiser said, pointing at yours truly.

He suggested that a replacement model could eventuate, when I asked if there was a global sedan that could fill the void.

“Maybe,” he said.

And when asked if it could be a V8?

“I don’t know that either. I’m not at liberty [to say]. I’m going to leave you hanging,” he said.

It was clear that there is a hope for a new Chevrolet SS sports sedan. And, as such, a potential new right-hand-drive V8-powered sedan for Australia, perhaps instead of the rumoured Camaro (though we learnt via Oppenheiser that a right-hand-drive version of that car is also under study) or the Opel Insignia which is predicted to have twin-turbo V6 power, not a V8.

“I’m not answering the questions, so I’m not leaving you with any hope,” he said.

“Let me just tell you, that the leadership of our company – Mark Reuss was the managing director of Holden, he completely understands the market,” Oppenheiser said.

“If anybody understands what we could do and if we could do it, it would be him. And I don’t make those decisions – I support whatever the leadership looks at, and if there’s opportunity, we will take it. If there’s not, we would communicate that.

“I’m not telling you much by that, but that’s the way it is,” Oppenheiser said.

He said that he understands just how important performance models are to the Australian market.

"I have a lot of friends at Holden,” he said. “One of my good friends who was my engineering manager for the fifth-gen Camaro is a die-hard Australian rear-wheel-drive performance car guy, and while he was in the States he bought a ’68 Camaro.

“And when he went back, he had to go and tell all of his mates that there’s no right-hand-drive coming. So, out of all of you guys, who I know are car guys, I feel the worst for him, because he worked on the car, and never got one there.”

When asked how he felt about the Holden-built model coming to end, Oppenheiser reflected upon his history with GM and the end of Australian manufacturing.

“It’s too bad. It’s a great country, I’ve been there many, many times,” he said."

Read more at http://www.caradvice.com.au/428313/c...pY2DKAow60Y.99
Old 26-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Chevrolet SS not dead yet: Product chief suggests replacement V8 performance sedan on its way

Sounds like fluff to me.

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Chevrolet SS not dead yet: Product chief suggests replacement V8 performance sedan on its way

Yep, PR101: how to get out of a hole you just dug.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Trump
bitch lasagne

Commode aside, they don't have a four door RWD platform do they?
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Holden has a propaganda team that rivals Joseph Goebbels from Nazi Germany, they amaze me at how good they run their PR campaign.

Imagine if Holden was a restaurant in Melbourne,all the reviews would be 5 stars, positive comments only, how wonderful it is etc.

You rock up on Lygon Street in Carlton, its a huge place, they have valet parking out the front, wicked!

You go in and the waiter takes you to your seat, puts a napkin over your lap for you.

You order the steak and some wine (of some variety).

After about 30 minutes, the waiter brings you your meal.

Its human feces on burnt toast and the wine is a glass full of urine.

You eat it up with a big brown smile, drink your urine sample and tip the waiter on the way out and then put a 5 star review down on google for Holden's restaurant.

Thats how I picture their PR team, if they can get away with selling the Holden Captiva then they could make you eat **** on toast and drink **** without complaints.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Yes,, Omega...
The GM Omega platform is a vehicle architecture designed by General Motors for full-size, rear-wheel and all-wheel drive luxury vehicles. The platform architecture was developed for Cadillac, and subsequently debuted in the all-new 2016 Cadillac CT6 sedan.
Vehicle Applications

2016 Cadillac CT6
2017 Cadillac full-size crossover

References

General Motors Company. Cadillac Motor Division. Cadillac Extends the Top of Its Range with CT6. GM News. General Motors, 31 Mar. 2015. Web. 13 Sept. 2015.
Unknown. "GM Omega Vehicle Platform." GM Authority. GM Authority, 2015. Web. 13 Sept. 2015.
Old 26-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If keeping the Cadillac exclusive was an issue, then the other avenue would be the Camaro platform.
It was effectively created off the VE's platform for the previous-gen model (the first "retro" version that was released), and although the latest one no longer shares it, there wouldn't be much difficulty in putting a 4-door body only it.
Old 26-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

You eat it up with a big brown smile, drink your urine sample and tip the waiter on the way out and then put a 5 star review down on google for Holden's restaurant.
I wouldn’t give it a five star rating, I’d can't stand burnt toast.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
If keeping the Cadillac exclusive was an issue, then the other avenue would be the Camaro platform.
It was effectively created off the VE's platform for the previous-gen model (the first "retro" version that was released), and although the latest one no longer shares it, there wouldn't be much difficulty in putting a 4-door body only it.
You would just use the Alpha platform as it's already spawned the 4 door Cadillac ATS
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't you see my first line:
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
If keeping the Cadillac exclusive was an issue,
Old 26-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #11
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I read it fine, but you were referencing the Omega platform, no? Alpha platform is already under 6th gen Camaro so there's no issue of exclusivity.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #12
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Cadillac.
Old 27-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #13
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Holden has a propaganda team that rivals Joseph Goebbels from Nazi Germany, they amaze me at how good they run their PR campaign.

Imagine if Holden was a restaurant in Melbourne,all the reviews would be 5 stars, positive comments only, how wonderful it is etc.

You rock up on Lygon Street in Carlton, its a huge place, they have valet parking out the front, wicked!

You go in and the waiter takes you to your seat, puts a napkin over your lap for you.

Thats how I picture their PR team, if they can get away with selling the Holden Captiva then they could make you eat **** on toast and drink **** without complaints.
G'day..Now that's funny and eerily true" Cheers Rod
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #14
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Tell you what...Ford Global is Ford Global so long as Global means "Murrica"..and a piddly little bit from Europe...I'll give GM a bit of credit at least they give a tiny bit of lip service to the outposts. I wonder will any of the Dearborn Michigan boys turn up for send off and a **** up for the last Falcon in a few short months time..Would they have the balls to face the angry mob in Broadmeadows or Geelong..I just wonder...Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 27-03-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 27-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day..On this interesting thread..my sarcasm knows no bounds and this is exactly that and for the record I DO like the Mustang.. but in WW2 when the US GI's were stationed here..Some said this about them "Them yanks.there's only three things wrong with them..Theyre over paid , they're over sexed and they're over here "...RE the Mustang..some less gracious Aussies might say this. "Them Mustangs , there's only three things wrong with them.. They're over priced (overpaid) they're over spec'd.(over sexed) and over here (same)..
Cheers Rod..P.S.. I saw a dark red one yesterday (first one)...Cheers Rod..
Old 27-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #16
Chopped
as in chopped

Except the Mustangs Aus gets are underspecced compared to the US versions.

The Chev SS is starting to build a loyal following of fans in the US (much like the GTO and G8). Would be nice if they can continue it with a new model (even if Aus misses out).
Old 28-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #17
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
Except the Mustangs Aus gets are underspecced compared to the US versions.

The Chev SS is starting to build a loyal following of fans in the US (much like the GTO and G8). Would be nice if they can continue it with a new model (even if Aus misses out).
G'day ...Rant time again...My best mate on the planet is a Yank...lives in Baltimore..but geez they can p..s you off sometimes.
If it isn't from the States it isn't any good...On the Turbo Max channels on TV you see non stop American Muscle Cars or transformation shows ..They're great but almost exclusively US cars..occasionally you'll see a Brit car..Sometimes you wonder if there is a world outside the USA..Europe is loaded with truly great cars and dare I say us Aussies don't do a bad job either. The Ford Global Platform will feature very very little or maybe no Aussie content..and yet they'll expect us to buy at some stage Fusion/Mondeo/Taurus..no character crap , full of blingy goodies..tiny ECO BOOST engines..and such..I can't even look at an Eco boost Falcon..They say it's a good car but it excites me about as much as GM's underwhelming four cylinder 'starfire' engine in the VC Commodore..It was said that you had to rev it's ring off just to cross the white line on the road..My auntie's friend had one, she was a nun and when I asked her what she thought of it she almost swore I'm sure..Ford Australia I hope will be included in some way over time in developing the cars for Australian conditions..and having real input ..Let's hope so..Aussie Ford Falcons (not just the older XB's,XC's and so) get great North American comments from what could have been potential overseas buyers on review videos and if Ford was truly Global and Dearborn was truly listening , Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUVWOPxTlSI our Falcons might have featured somewhere in the mix..but no...it seems not..so the Falcon will only really be remembered fondly by generations like us , and other than the preserved cars our kids and grand kids will never experience the joy of driving a new big Aussie designed and built Ford rear wheel drive inline 6 or V8...Really , really sad and depresses me just thinking about it.. SHAME FORD GLOBAL..SHAME... Rant over....Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 28-03-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 28-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #18
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There will be no Holden v8 post 2017. Nothing's confirmed, only likely (Camaro) has been denied for rhd.

Corvette numbers don't add up. Ss sedan based on alpha again doesn't add up given the likely volumes here and in the us.

It's all a beat up by Holden.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #19
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Is it just me or was nothing said at all in that interview? If anything the "Im not answering the questions so I'm not leaving you with any hope" line would say there is no replacement.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2016, 10:10 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Chev SS sells a few hundred a month in the US. Why would they bother replacing it?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2016, 03:51 AM   #21
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day Tell you what...Ford Global is Ford Global so long as Global means "Murrica"..and a piddly little bit from Europe...
I'm not sure that's the case. Fords current globa carl line up is Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo/Fusion and Mustang, only one of these was designed in the USA. SUV wise, Kuga is Euro designed, the Ranger/Everest is Aussie. Actually, I suspect the Mustang is the only US designed global car Rod.

As for our beloved Falcon being a global car, it just wouldn't work, it's too big. Look at the falling sales of the more modern Taurus in the USA, in 2015 it sold around 50,000 or approx. 4,200 per month which is less than the unloved AU Falcon. Same applies to Chrysler 300 sales and to a lessor degree, the Impala.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #22
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day Tell you what...Ford Global is Ford Global so long as Global means "Murrica"..and a piddly little bit from Europe...I'll give GM a bit of credit at least they give a tiny bit of lip service to the outposts. I wonder will any of the Dearborn Michigan boys turn up for send off and a **** up for the last Falcon in a few short months time..Would they have the balls to face the angry mob in Broadmeadows or Geelong..I just wonder...Cheers Rod..
Yes we do have the yanks to thank for our Fords and Holden's, not to mention our Government back in them days helped bring all that about.

But it's our Government's that have sold us out, giving the New World Order the one world Government it's power to do what is going on, the USA is finished they will not be making cars as well, the USA is broke Bankrupt !
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #23
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Yes we do have the yanks to thank for our Fords and Holden's, not to mention our Government back in them days helped bring all that about.

But it's our Government's that have sold us out, giving the New World Order the one world Government it's power to do what is going on, the USA is finished they will not be making cars as well, the USA is broke Bankrupt !
I don't think we're quite down for the count yet.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #24
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Chev SS sells a few hundred a month in the US. Why would they bother replacing it?
Yeah but why do they only sell a few hundred a month?

Is it lack of supply? High cost? Lack in interest?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #25
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post

Because it's a commodore.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #26
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It all comes down to the USA bowing to the tree huggers, and enforcing the CAFE rules (corporate average fuel economy).

If they sell too many SSs, then they need to sell a gazillion little eco-****ters to make up for it and keep within the CAFE rules.

Dealer allocations also play a part (akin to Ford with the GT-F and the Sprints) with dealers prepared to gouge others, further increasing the price the buyer ends up paying, and creating adverse buyer reactions.

Some more info here:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2014...e-limited.html

http://www.motoring.com.au/chevy-ss-sweet-sour-43315/

This one favours Mercedes, but the allocation system is the same:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...makers-feature
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #27
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Chevrolet sells thousands of V8 Camaros and Corvettes every month. People who claim they want a V8 RWD sedan in the US aren't willing to pay to buy one new, pure and simple. CAFE is not hindering SS sales.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:36 AM   #28
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
Chevrolet sells thousands of V8 Camaros and Corvettes every month. People who claim they want a V8 RWD sedan in the US aren't willing to pay to buy one new, pure and simple. CAFE is not hindering SS sales.
How does commodore stack up value wise to a camaro?

I read somewhere ( on the net, so it's infallible information, right?) that commodore is simply 10-15k too expensive, so as much as there is a niche market there the pricing ensures it's a tiny niche market.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2016, 02:46 AM   #29
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

A lot of americans say its too bland... looks like an accord.
Too expensive.

Crap name... Needed to be called Chevelle or Nova, something from the Chevrolet hi performance past.

Not enough blue steel.... not American.... blah blah.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #30
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
How does commodore stack up value wise to a camaro?

I read somewhere ( on the net, so it's infallible information, right?) that commodore is simply 10-15k too expensive, so as much as there is a niche market there the pricing ensures it's a tiny niche market.
Note the pricing:
http://www.chevrolet.com/ss-sports-sedan.html

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-sports-car.html

I forgot to mention that the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 sell well, but I don't know what the ratio of V6:V8 sales is (I'm sure V6s outsell V8s by a wide margin, though, based on what I see driving around, plus they are also available to rental fleets).