The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Which one
V7 STi 44 38.26%
BA XR6T 71 61.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default XR6T or STi

Im trading up from the AU falcon. My two options Im down to at the moment is 2000-2002 WRX STi vs 2003 XR6T. I cant decided each have pros and cons but I'm leaning towards STi because of seats and easy to get manual. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Hope opinions arent tooo biased

99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Re: XR6T or STi

I voted STI. I would love one, but with three kids in car seats, its impossible. Either way though, I dont think either is a bad choice.
Old 29-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty View Post
I voted STI. I would love one, but with three kids in car seats, its impossible. Either way though, I dont think either is a bad choice.
Thanks I just see the main benefit of the XR6T the extra space. However having my XR6 I have never really needed it. Im probably going to do a bit of track work aswell which leans in the STi favour.

What are common issues with BA XR6T I know the oil lines for turbos arent exactly great and have also heard about issues with injectors.
Old 29-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
JoeDaleyN98

I voted sti, based on the fact that xr6t from that age will have been thrashed alot more and will more then likely have more ks then a neat and tidy sti, and space wise they are not a whole lot smaller inside as you would first think
JoeDaleyN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never been in a rex, for me cabin size would be a consideration(I'm a big dude), I like big airey cabins, by looks of size alone , I would be going the big aussie cars, not to mention big car ride, probably a bit less servicing to worry about with the henry too.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go STI out of those two. I wouldn't get a XR6T without a ZF.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford View Post
I'd go STI out of those two. I wouldn't get a XR6T without a ZF.
This here is another con with the falcon for me I dont really like the BA Auto, would have to be a manual and for that price its close to a V8 STi.

Servicing isnt really and issue as I can get it done at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDaleyN98 View Post
I voted sti, based on the fact that xr6t from that age will have been thrashed alot more
Im more worried about the other way around actually.

Quote:
will more then likely have more ks then a neat and tidy sti, and space wise they are not a whole lot smaller inside as you would first think
Agree with this. How many KM is to many for and XR6T Im not going to buy and STi with anymore than 140km however Im more interested in service history etc.

Last edited by 99AUXR; 29-12-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 29-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
WASP
Whipple Induced

I love my XR6T and would describe it as a brilliant alternative to an WRX when a larger, more practical sedan is required. An F6 would be the alternative to an STI. If you don't need an alternative and can make the pocket rocket work for your situation then it's probably the better option. If you do go the XR6T the BF version with the 6 speed auto is the model to get.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASP View Post
I love my XR6T and would describe it as a brilliant alternately to a WRX when a larger, more practical sedan is required. An F6 would be the alternative to a STI. If you don't need an alternative and can make the pocket rocket work for your situation then it's probably the better opinion. If you do go the XR6T the BF version with the 6 speed auto if the model to get.
Yea Im 19 and only really have my GF in the car with me. And I dont see the need for a big car in the near future. I really like the BF shape and that 6 speed but its just out of what I can afford realistically.
Old 29-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I voted sti, based on the fact that xr6t from that age will have been thrashed alot more and will more then likely have more ks then a neat and tidy sti, and space wise they are not a whole lot smaller inside as you would first think
Because the Lebos who own sti's look after them?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
JoeDaleyN98

A sti with a full service history will be a great buy if its less then 150K the falcon you can probably go around same ks or maybe up to 200 with some good service history. The 4 speed autos in ford aren't the best. Make sure that's been regularly serviced and that they are stock cars. I don't think you can go to wrong with either
JoeDaleyN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
most previous owners would of thrashed the WRX as well. I haven't seen too many WRXs where drivers haven't flooged them. its pretty hard too find one that's been nursed.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Im trading up from the AU falcon. My two options Im down to at the moment is 2000-2002 WRX STi vs 2003 XR6T. I cant decided each have pros and cons but I'm leaning towards STi because of seats and easy to get manual. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Hope opinions arent tooo biased
Do your self a favour and go to south Auckland to see who drives Subarus (I won't say owned cos they are either stolen or financed). You wouldn't want to be seen dead in one. Same story for Evos and Skylines.
If you hunt around 20 grand kiwi will get you a BA Typhoon, hard to beat that sorta buying. In saying that I drove past a car yard in Kihikihi south of Hamilton yesterday which had a mint original looking non sti 01/02 wrx sitting on the yard for 14k. Expensive but that might be the price to pay for a non abused, non modified non ****wit owned example.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The STi feels a little cramped inside compared to the Falcon and the interior is a bit basic (but then so is the XR6T interior) and the ride is much harsher, but the STi would out handle the XR6T any day of the week. Personally I would go the Falcon purely because it's more comfortable and it doesn't attract as much attention.
Old 29-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do yourself a favour and check insurance prices before you get either. It may turn you off altogether.

When I was 19 it cost me over $3k for insurance and that was only a WRX let alone an STi. I have to say if I had of checked this first that it probably would have made me reconsider buying it.

I'd try spring for the 03 model personally and probably a BA Typhoon or BF XR6T if I were to go that way.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
JGP

^as above, 03 would have to be a F6. the 03xr6T had the weaker rods and valve springs
JGP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
99AUXR
Brad

See who drives subaru... They are great cars I would say ford and holden has a more bogan following. I dont care to much about it being driven hard they are performance cars after all. Im not going to be driving it like a grandma. most GTP drivers dont drive there cars like grandmas either, its about maintenance and condition of engine for me.

I will be getting AA check to fall back on if there is anything wrong when I bring It back to workshop and check it out. For $150 its easy way to get stuff fixed if they miss something.

There an unmolested STi for sale locally and I know the guy who owns it he drives like a nana and uses fully synthetic oil with 5000km changes. Only problem is its silver.
Old 29-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
When I was 19 it cost me over $3k for insurance and that was only a WRX let alone an STi. I have to say if I had of checked this first that it probably would have made me reconsider buying it.
Full cover for $1000.

Im pretty sure I have made up my mind, WASPs post was pretty spot on I pretty much want a car to have allot of fun and do abit of track work now and then. The STi is after all a better all round package IMO. I took an STi through some corners the other day and lets just say it makes dads GTP feel like a barge. I dont need the extra room of the falcon so I think the STi is the best option for me. Race seats, Brembos, Great handling and transmission are the big wins for me. BA 4 speed is a joke.

Thanks for everyones opinions.
Old 29-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #19
RAPID_BA
Banned

A clear win to the BA xr6t

A used sti is a thrashed sti. Never a more true word spoken. These motors are timebombs after about 100,000km, small interiors, like driving a gemini. top cars new but a poor option buying used. Wrx owners are notorious for winding up the boost on the cheap (without fueling etc) and start seeing issues, wind back the boost and sell.

A falcon turbo is cheaper to mod, rugged car, no probs with 100,000km or even 200,000km, heaps more potential than Sti for mods, cheaper parts/insurance. Winding up boost on xr6t pretty much means proper tune so should be less issues. New I'd go sti but used easily the falcon.

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 29-12-2012 at 07:06 PM.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #20
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
A falcon turbo is cheaper to mod, rugged car, no probs with 100,000km or even 200,000km, heaps more potential than Sti for mods, cheaper parts/insurance New I'd go sti but used easily the falcon.
Falcons only go in straight lines, I like them but seriously.

Like I said I think Ive made up my mind. Im going to try the STi out while I can own a car like this as later in life the option may not be there. Thanks

Last edited by 99AUXR; 29-12-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 29-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #21
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

STi isn't that bad for room actually, (I'm 6',3"), still prefer my Ford
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
99AUXR
Brad

I would pic an FG F6 over it

I would have a the ford turbo but it would need to have either a manual or they ZF6spd
Old 29-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #23
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No brainer, STi. Drive both and you'll see soon enough... I would only get the falcon if you have a couple of kids to drag around.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #24
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget he's talking about the "Bug Eye" probably the worst looking WRX ever built.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
Motorbreath310

Subaru's are fairly durable from what I've seen. The 6 speed in the V7-onwards is reputed to be a hell of a lot stronger than the 5 speeds. And the shift quality feels wicked too (well, when they were newish it did)

No brainer I'd say. Subarus are at least well built. Even if a BA is fine mechanically, the rest of it will fall to pieces around it soon enough (where's that flame suit?) And the bugeye STI's look better than the V8 and V9 imo.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #26
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Don't forget he's talking about the "Bug Eye" probably the worst looking WRX ever built.
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
And the bugeye STI's look better than the V8 and V9 imo.
Bugeye with V8 Spoiler and front spoiler lip kit looks amazing. The V8 were crappy headlights then the hawkeye looks weird .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
Subaru's are fairly durable from what I've seen. The 6 speed in the V7-onwards is reputed to be a hell of a lot stronger than the 5 speeds. And the shift quality feels wicked too (well, when they were newish it did)

No brainer I'd say. Subarus are at least well built. Even if a BA is fine mechanically, the rest of it will fall to pieces around it soon enough (where's that flame suit?) And the bugeye STI's look better than the V8 and V9 imo.
The 6 speed box is amazing in the STi. BA transmission isn't so. Also the STi I was in after 10 years felt like new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
No brainer, STi. Drive both and you'll see soon enough... I would only get the falcon if you have a couple of kids to drag around.
I have driven an STi and 315 GT... I would take the STi in a set of corners any day.
Old 29-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #27
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

STI for sure, especially if you dont need a bigger car.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #28
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

STi all day over a BA XR6T. If it was a BF it would be a much harder choice, FG no contest, but you'd need to do some fairly expensive work to a BA to make it anywhere near as good as the STi.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #29
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I actually like the bug eye WRXs. BA XR6Ts apart from their potential to mod are a fairly plain car. STI seems a better choice.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #30
99AUXR
Brad

Now the waiting game to find a nice tidy example, in blue

17 people havent driven an STi?