Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Hyundai i30 SR Hot Hatch coming

Hyundai is putting the finishing touches on a new i30 hot hatch that will be on sale here by the end of 2013.

The Hyundai i30 SR model will be powered by a 2.0-litre direct injection four-cylinder engine with at least 130kW of power and 213Nm of torque – the same engine used in the i40 range. The car was hinted at in a concept model shown at the 2012 Sydney motor show.

As well as having about 20 per cent more power and torque, the i30 SR will come with unique wheels, different styling treatments on the exterior, revised suspension and a sportier interior.

Company insiders told Drive the new i30 SR was likely to be priced below the current range-topping model, the i30 diesel Platinum automatic, which is $32,590.

The new i30 SR will compete with the likes of the Mazda3 SP25 (from $31,490), Honda Civic Sport sedan ($30,990) and Mitsubishi Lancer VRX ($29,990), along with new arrivals from Nissan – the Pulsar SSS – and Holden, which is expected to release an updated Cruze with more power within a few months.

"Pricing is still yet to be determined for that car," says Bill Thomas, Hyundai public relations general manager.

Scott Nargar, Hyundai Australia product planning manager, told Drive that the SR could be one of two new tiers of performance models for the i30 range.

"Tier one would be this, the SR, then there could be a tier two," he says. The latter, he says, would be something considerably more powerful.

Nargar says that "warm" hatches account for as much as 15-20 per cent of the model sales mix with other brands, claiming the appeal is clear – both for buyers, and the brand.

"If we haven't got a vehicle to appeal to those buyers, they won't come to Hyundai," he says.

The car is expected to be revealed at the 2013 Melbourne motor show in June.

The news comes as Hyundai expands its i30 range to include the new i30 Tourer station wagon variant, which is priced from $22,990.

The SR badge was plastered on some previous-generation models of the i30, though those versions were merely styling packs.

The i30 SR will follow in the footsteps of the Veloster SR Turbo, but is expected to be joined by an SR version of the smaller Accent hatch, too. Timing for it is yet to be confirmed.
http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...215-2ehux.html

Last edited by csv8; 23-02-2013 at 03:07 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hyundai i30 SR Hot Hatch coming

Kia are working on one too and its also a weapon plus the fiesta is on the way. there's going to be a awesome choice here for very weaponised hatches here by the end of the year.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Wonder if they could fit the turbo from the Veloster?
Old 18-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure that's what the Kia is running. Its 150kw the hatch they are building. there's videos of it around. Its a beast.
Old 18-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a look at 3:40 ish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dZg...e_gdata_player
Old 18-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

How is this in any way a hot hatch?

With 130kw thats only a couple more than the direct injection NA unit Ford use in the Focus. Its a mild hatch at best.

To me a hot hatch is something like a Renaultsport, Focus ST etc, with well north of 160 kw.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Focus is a big car now and 300+kg heavier than the smaller hatches. They don't need the same power.
Old 18-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
How is this in any way a hot hatch?

With 130kw thats only a couple more than the direct injection NA unit Ford use in the Focus. Its a mild hatch at best.

To me a hot hatch is something like a Renaultsport, Focus ST etc, with well north of 160 kw.
Yup exactly. The RS Megane and Focus ST actually handle, as well. It's as much of a hot hatch as the Veloster is a 'sports car'.

A Fiesta diesel is much more of a hot hatch than this thing.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I wouldn't say a hot hatch at all.
Warm may be. as much as I am happy to see Hyundai giving it a go I can't help but think they could have done better. They're competing with established players here and good ones at that so unless their buyers are fanbois they really have an uphill battle on their hands.
Realistically the price range is not bad though so it could work, they haven't gone for the high end (36k+) but if I were buying one i would stretch the finances a little more and get my butt into a ST.
Old 18-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam View Post
The Focus is a big car now and 300+kg heavier than the smaller hatches. They don't need the same power.
The i30 is in the same class as Focus isn't it, it's not Fiesta sized.
Old 18-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Just wait for the Fiesta ST ...
Old 18-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know how much the i30 weighs. We already decided to get the Fiesta ST anyway . But the Kia looks the goods.
Old 18-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Hyundai and Kia will get there eventually with their handling, just give it time.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
stevz
Banned

Meh, just another ugly Korean buzzbox.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it looks nippy, it seems to be geared for quick through the gears, dunno if i`m seeing things.............. dash showing 6 gear at 100 kph at 4500 rpm , it`s not an 8 speed is it?
edit just had a look at it again, in one clip it`s doing 4500 at 100, in the later clip it`s 3500 at 160 kph, is there something weird here or am i an old fart that needs glasses ??

Last edited by mik; 18-02-2013 at 11:29 PM.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys banging on about hot hatches, did you actually read the article? There's no mention of hot hatches exccept from the knob writing the article. Scott Nargar, Hyundai Australia product planning manager, mentions that the car is a warm hatch and that it is the first of 2 tiers. A much more powerful model will be forthcoming after this one.

Also, north of 160kW for a hot hatch? Not sure what planet you're living on, but most of the small hot hatches don't have anywhere near that power. The Focus/Megane sized cars do, mostly, but the smaller hatches don't. Hatches like the Polo GTi, Fiesta ST, upcoming Renault Clio 200 etc. They really don't need that much power either. The smaller hatches only weigh around 1200kgs, unlike the Focus ST etc that are up near 1500kgs now. Evidence to this is the fact that a Polo GTi is quicker and faster than a Focus ST.

Last edited by Nic85; 19-02-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85 View Post
Also, north of 160kW for a hot hatch? Not sure what planet you're living on, but most of the small hot hatches don't have anywhere near that power. The Focus/Megane sized cars do, mostly, but the smaller hatches don't. Hatches like the Polo GTi, Fiesta ST, upcoming Renault Clio 200 etc. They really don't need that much power either. The smaller hatches only weigh around 1200kgs, unlike the Focus ST etc that are up near 1500kgs now. Evidence to this is the fact that a Polo GTi is quicker and faster than a Focus ST.
Fair enough, but these cars are all a class below the i30 (which is Focus sized). Besides, the upcoming Clio has almost 150 kW (as does the far superior current Clio 200). No C-segment hot hatch has ~130 kW.

Oh, and the Focus ST is quicker than a Polo GTI, not to mention that it actually comes with a manual (making it feel quicker still).
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Evidence to this is the fact that a Polo GTi is quicker and faster than a Focus ST.
quicker and faster which one is it? Hang on its neither. The ST is faster with a proper manual and not even in the same category. And hopefully the Fiesta ST trumps it aswell.
Automatic Hot Hatches are a complete waste of time IMO, defeats the purpose of a hot hatch. I dont care how good/no good DSG is it aint no manual and never will be.

Anyway hopefully Hyundai can make something of this car and drive them to make a proper hot hatch.

Last edited by DJM83; 19-02-2013 at 08:48 PM.
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
quicker and faster which one is it? Hang on its neither. The ST is faster with a proper manual and not even in the same category. And hopefully the Fiesta ST trumps it aswell.
Automatic Hot Hatches are a complete waste of time IMO, defeats the purpose of a hot hatch. I dont care how good/no good DSG is it aint no manual and never will be.

Anyway hopefully Hyundai can make something of this car and drive them to make a proper hot hatch.
In your humble opinion, of course.

As for the i30, given mine is supposed to be a "warm" hatch, then the i30 must be a "just-got-the-chill-taken-off-it" hatch.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #20
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see Hyundai coming up with something new for someone who doesn't want something super fast, but a bit hotter than the average i30, Cerato, Polo GTI etc......

Quote:
Evidence to this is the fact that a Polo GTi is quicker and faster than a Focus ST.
Can you provide proven evidence of this, or is it another one of your theories - just like the Hyundai Veloster Turbo being quicker than the ST comments?
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #21
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB View Post
Can you provide proven evidence of ....
http://fastestlaps.com/cars/vw_polo_gti_14_tsi.html
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #22
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K View Post
Thanks for the link, but the Focus ST listed in the comparison on that page is the old 5-cylinder model. (XR5)

Here is the link for the new model.

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/ford_focus_st_201.html
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #23
1TUFFUTE
Banned

REALLY I didn't think people who bought KIAs and HYUNDAIs were even car enthusiasts...so why do they bother.
Its probably me but theres NO way IN hell id ever seriously respect someone driving a Hyundai if they tried sprouting to me all the go fast and sporty features on their HYUNDAI or KIA
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #24
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you don't think Hyundai and Kia make good cars please don't compare one side to side to a locally built Holden or Ford... I have and its not something ill ever forget.

Even the first little excels would have to be one of the most reliable little cars ever made. If you do a lot of miles around the country you soon see they are very rarely broken on the side of the road compared to just about any other car.

My father recently bought a new 4wd to caravan in. He had the cash to buy whatever he wanted and the last two in the running were the territory and the Kia... he came home with the Kia. I don't think he made the wrong decision. Both great trucks but the Kia just a little more capable and arguably a better motor, more efficient certainly. It tows the van on 8.9l/100 on pretty average roads. can't complain about that.

Ill definitely look at the Kia hatch in that video posted before I sign up on the Fiesta just in case they've done something special.
Old 20-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #25
Scradley6666

It will sell well because its got good looks. Same recipe as the Mazda 3. Nothing special drivetrain wise, just looks good to average Jane and joe..

Out with the old:
2006 BF XR8 Falcon - 240RWKW
Difilippo Headers, Magnaflow 200CPSI Cats, X-Force Quad Stainless Exhaust, BPR CAI, ZF 6 SPD, Tuned by CV Performance!

In with the new:
2009 FG XR6 Turbo Falcon - Stock as a rock (but not for long)
EGO Colour with premium audio and ZF 6 SPD

Last edited by Scradley6666; 20-02-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Scradley6666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #26
hadyh
HADYH

My experience as follows: I have had a 130 wagon “petrol” as my company car and its just been replaced with the same, I did 120ks in 3 years and I can advise after having many different issues these cars are only good for the first 75ks and after that many items start to fail. I personal would not buy one and its true while driving on sydney roads I find people just write you off.
hadyh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #27
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam View Post
If you don't think Hyundai and Kia make good cars please don't compare one side to side to a locally built Holden or Ford... I have and its not something ill ever forget.

Even the first little excels would have to be one of the most reliable little cars ever made. If you do a lot of miles around the country you soon see they are very rarely broken on the side of the road compared to just about any other car.

My father recently bought a new 4wd to caravan in. He had the cash to buy whatever he wanted and the last two in the running were the territory and the Kia... he came home with the Kia. I don't think he made the wrong decision. Both great trucks but the Kia just a little more capable and arguably a better motor, more efficient certainly. It tows the van on 8.9l/100 on pretty average roads. can't complain about that.

Ill definitely look at the Kia hatch in that video posted before I sign up on the Fiesta just in case they've done something special.
that's really nice for your dad...but territorys and awd kias are a whole diff story. If he bought a sporty kia and parked next to my G6ET and started talking to me how good a performance car it is...then id bop him in the nose....cus its a KIA no offense to your dad.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #28
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
REALLY I didn't think people who bought KIAs and HYUNDAIs were even car enthusiasts...so why do they bother.
Its probably me but theres NO way IN hell id ever seriously respect someone driving a Hyundai if they tried sprouting to me all the go fast and sporty features on their HYUNDAI or KIA
I understand exactly where you're coming from. It's an extremely sad state of affairs when people actually aspire to own a Hyundai or Kia.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Proof of a Polo GTi being quicker than a Focus ST? Pick up any recent Wheels or MOTOR mag and flick to the back where they have acceleration times.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
I understand exactly where you're coming from. It's an extremely sad state of affairs when people actually aspire to own a Hyundai or Kia.
Spot on.