Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Boss Yella Terra vs Crate GT500

Curious on everyone's thoughts on this.

In the garage is an aging BA XR8, minor mods. As it ages gracefully, it is being serviced and maintained well and gets little upgrades here and there - the latest being a set of 6 spot brembos. You know how it is, nothing fancy. But there comes a time when one either wants to upgrade to something new, or alternatively inject some life into the old girl.

I've always admired the Yella Terra 'stealth' Whipple option. But the latest YT-5400TKIC kit seems to be selling for $14k from places I've seen online. I understand that that's intercooled, not sure if it's 'installed' - I suspect it's not - but as a starting point it's kept me at bay for some time. And yeah, I know there's cheaper centrifugal options out there, but I've always wanted to keep my induction setup, and side-mounted chargers won't let me do that.

But looking online, I can see the previous GT500 Crate Engine is $14k USD. Obviously that's prior to shipping and import tariffs. But while you don't get the intercooler, you do get the Supercharger and a whole new engine - including the double size throttle body, and next to the Yella Terra charger, this option seems like a better deal. http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...m-6007-c54.htm. You could then go and sell your old Boss engine on eBay and posibly even make back your shipping and tariffs- perhaps even covering some of the cost of installing, intercooling and programming.

Going down the path of an Aluminium Block for $21k + Shipping and Tariffs is perhaps a step too far: http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...m-6007-m54.htm

So am I missing something here? Why would anyone in the market for a Yella Terra actually pick the Yella Terra over the SVT Crate engine option? Is ADR compliance versus engineering approval actually worth that much?

Lukeyson

Old 24-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Boss Yella Terra vs Crate GT500

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a build thread here somewhere doing the same thing with the Us crate engine
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

you can get the YT phase 3 kit direct Yella Terra for $11500 ...the people selling them for $14000 i hope that's fitted
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post