Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #1
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

Default Getting rego?

I have just moved to Melbourne and need to get my car reregistered to victora. will it need to go over the pits?

There is nothing wrong with the car, but there are 3 points that will stop it from getting a roadworthy.
My window tint is 25%, I have been pulled over a lot since I got them and no one has said anything.
I have a small dent in one of the rims.
I have I 3mm spacers on the front, just to be sure they don't scrape on the control arm.

If I do need a roadworthy does anyone know someone that could help me out?
I need someone to give me a good roadworth?
Please and thank you

Rob

Old 25-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Getting rego?

In Victoria, you will have to get a roadworthy, then go to Vicroads and get the rego, It will be inspected by a Vicroads employee.

We do not have pits in Victoria.

Your car is registered in another state, so that means your car will be unregister.

You will not be able to get a dodgy roadworthy, The roadworthy tester will have to take pictures of your car while at the workshop and put on the Vicroads system. The photos will be before and after shots. These photos are then submitted to Vicroads.

My best advise take it to a shop as is. See what it needs. Get items replaced and get a legit roadworthy. They cost between $120 to $200 depending on the place, plus cost of items to be replaced/fixed.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

Argh right. Alittle different to Tasmania then. Thanks mate
Old 25-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

window tint % should be tested as part of the roady, so if too dark it will have to be removed.
Wheel spacers are illegal so will have to be removed so that may mean you may have to get another set of wheels to pass.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

Yea I know. I don't want to remove the tint, if I did I would only put it back on, the 25% is just great makes the car look so much better and cops haven't give me any trouble with it.

I still have the factory 17s but they are ba I in Tasmania. I might have to do a trip to go get them.

I'm thinking as well if I can get away with being here for a 12-16 months I will buy a new car mid next year at the latest (hopefully).
Old 25-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

why bother trying to slip one under the radar? if you've moved to my state i'd like to know your car meets the requirements to run on our roads

get the rego transferred, get a proper RWC and be done with it.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
jamies

I moved from Tasmania to Qld a few years ago, Transport Tasmania is the only dept not linked to any mainland transport depts so it takes a couple of days to get any paper work ( licence etc etc.. ) Your best bet as Professor Farnsworth said get it rwc and then it would also be easier to sell in Vic or sell it in Tassie and buy a car in Victoria ?
Old 25-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

That's what I was thinking, sell it in Tasmania and then buy on the mainland.
I don't know just yet will wait and see. I'm taking the car back to tassie soon so I will hopefully pick up my other mags then too.
Old 25-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
jamies

Mainland people don't realise how car mad Tasmanians are ha ha... I have heaps of mates with nice cars there.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

Haha yea there are so many really nice well looked after cars, a lot if crap ones too.

How does it work with the roadworthy up here?
Do you have to get a roadworthy ever so often or what?
I figure I need one to register the car but if I buy a car with rego do I need a roadworthy??
Old 26-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

you need a rwc to register the car here with new vic rego. If you buy a car from a dealer, you will get a rwc with the sale most of the time which they will process and hand over to vicroads with the transfer form. If you're buying privately, you'll need to bargain the seller into getting a rwc for you and hand it to you with the transfer papers. Otherwise you'll need to get your own. Vic does not currently have a yearly roadworthy requirement like some others states so technically once you've got the rwc out of the way that's it. Unless you're defected majorly.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #12
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

So if I buy a can to register it into my name I need a roadworthy? Ok that's cool that's what I needed to know. Thanks for your help mate
Old 26-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy a car with a roadworthy. It is a headache to get one.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

legally the plates have to be removed from the car if purchasing without a rwc

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

Ha so weird. But thanks guys. I'm pretty sure it'll be a lot of hassle to get one thanks xisled.
I have been looking at a few cars and not many come with Rwc, I am looking at cheap ones tho. Most of them say they won't get one, for whatever reason. I'm staying away from them.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

transfering rego is when you buy a car regoed in your state already and get it put into your name by paying stamp duty and transfer fee

you don't/can't transfer rego from interstate

what you actually do is cancel remaning interstate rego and then establish new rego in the state you've moved to

in most states this is done via a roadworthy inspection, sometimes called 'going over the pits'.
Check your own states rego authority website for more details
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

Thanks, everyone has helped a lot
Old 26-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interstate vehicle registration

If you are moving to Victoria permanently, or have brought a vehicle with interstate registration, you will need to register it in Victoria. If you have an interstate driver licence, you will also need to change it over to a Victorian licence once you have been living here for more than three months.

What you need to do
To register your interstate registered vehicle in Victoria you will need to make an appointment and attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. To make an appointment, call 13 11 71 (Mon-Fri 8.30am - 5pm, Sat 8.30am - 2pm) with the following information:

the VIN and engine number of your vehicle
the registration number of the vehicle
your current licence number.

You will also need to pay an appointment fee.

In most situations, as long as the interstate vehicle registration is current and is going into the same name in Victoria, a certificate of roadworthiness (RWC) will not be required to register your vehicle in Victoria. However, you will need to make an appointment at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle registered.

There will be other situations where a certificate of roadworthiness will be required to have your vehicle registered in Victoria. Call us on 13 11 71 to check when you will require to supply a RWC.

Please note: From 1 January 2011, when new vehicles are first registered in Victoria, they must be fitted with electronic stability control (ESC). If you are moving to Victoria this requirement may affect you.

For more information about electronic stability control and transferring your vehicle registration to Victoria, see electronic stability control for interstate vehicles.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...gistration.htm

Last edited by csv8; 26-02-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: add link
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #19
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

Awesome mate thanks heaps that was really helpful
Old 27-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
XR8AU2121

Yes as CSV8 posted.
If your vehicle is currently registered interstate in your name and you intend to register it in Victoria in your name you only have to make and appointment with VicRoads go along, hand in your old plates, pay the rego fee and a new plate fee, and away you go. No appointent fee for this transaction.
Same with your license, VicRoads will transfer it keeping the existing expiry date for no fee.
I have just done two vehicles and licence transfer since Xmas.
XR8AU2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

Even better news thanks mate