Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Default Mustang, now over 3000 orders

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257EAC000C07D5

IMHO.
Ford Mustang has now reached over 3000 orders and the factory RHD hasn't reached our shores yet.
Even without any "in your face" advertising. One could speculate, once this car hits our streets and show rooms, there could be a lot more orders to follow.
Has Ford misjudged the local market?
Could there have been potential to convert (factory RHD) & market here in Australia, other North American Fords like the Raptor! http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2014/trim/raptor/
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Mustang, now over 3000 orders

No local manufacturing....but they have half killed the car from the US Spec.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of coarse, i would much rather a american ford than an australian one. They have all the good cars over there.
We have sedans.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want to have a look at them when they arrive but can't for the life of me see how people can order a $40-55k item without even sitting in one.

How much of this is hype versus cold hard cash deposits.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
AussieCJ7

Seems to me they are waiting to see the impact on the UK, Australia, china and other RHD markets of the Mustang but would be surprised if they didnt have a plan to open a RHD only plant somewhere in the globe was sales hit a break even sustained volume. My guess that plant would be either Vietnam or China depending on back end government deals for tax and operating costs.
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
AussieCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I want to have a look at them when they arrive but can't for the life of me see how people can order a $40-55k item without even sitting in one.

some of us have already sat in one, didnt get a drive but have had reasonable time getting familiar, all depends on your relationship with your local dealer
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many more than 3000 a year would you anticipate?

Isn't Falcon still selling 9000?

Don't get me wrong I loved the mustang since I was a kid and would love to see them on the roads, but I wont be Buying one, not everybody's lifestyle suits a 2 doors sports coupe.
IMO Raptor wouldn't sell, let alone the F150 which is the US biggest seller!
Id love to see the Explorer here, but it would need to be at the right price.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Quote from link "Mr McDonald said that in addition to the 3000 orders, “we also have more than 15,000 fans and intending buyers requesting more information about the car.”

Going by that, I believe over 3000 have put their money down, the 15000 are probably "tyre kickers", but still potential sales there from some of them.
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

So initial demand is 3000. After people that have wanted the car buy it how many will they sell. 3000 is essentially 250 a month. I would have expected a little more actually.....mind you Ford can't supply the orders now but that's nothing new.
Old 27-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Chopped
as in chopped

3000 is pretty good considering they haven't done any full on advertising campaigns for it.

It will be interesting to see if Aussie rev heads embrace the coupe culture like they do in the US.

Monaro figures as a comparison

Year Qty Sold
2001...... 176
2002...... 4274
2003...... 2889
2004...... 2656
2005...... 2834
2006...... 180
Old 27-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

If anyone in QLD wants a GT for Feb delivery in grey with track stripes and auto let me know. I have one booked.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
Monaro figures as a comparison
I was looking for this
Id expect mustang to do a little better, because its a mustang, but overall I think it would be a good Guide.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #13
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm happy for Ford, I truly am. I hope it's a great success.

However I am still honestly perplexed at how people can happily order and pay for a car that they haven't even seen, sat in, or test driven yet, just buying it on a "name"...
Truly weird...

Still wondering how many people...like us...who had the money to buy a Mustang and would really like one but were told that we would have to pay now and wait until late next year to collect it...and even when it's here actually sitting on showroom floors there will be long wait times to get one. Nope...turned us off straight away. Australians are used to driving home in your purchase if not the same day, shortly after buying it, not waiting a year.

Come on...it's not a limited run exotic supercar...it's a bloody old Mustang produced in vast numbers...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

It should do a little better than the Monaro or any Falcon based Ford Coupe.

The Mustang has a broader appeal, doesnt have a massive bogan factor and now has a decent choice of engines. More importantly they have priced it right unlike last time (reasons dont matter, consumer dosnt care).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #15
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As the Falcon is about to die, I'm sure there's a lot of work going on behind the scenes to get it accepted into V8 Supercars, and it should boost sales once its on the track.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

desirable car ?? yes,
but you have to wonder if some of the hype for this mustang will be worn off by the time it finally gets here.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #17
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7 View Post
Seems to me they are waiting to see the impact on the UK, Australia, china and other RHD markets of the Mustang but would be surprised if they didnt have a plan to open a RHD only plant somewhere in the globe was sales hit a break even sustained volume. My guess that plant would be either Vietnam or China depending on back end government deals for tax and operating costs.
Hong Kong and Macau are RHD but China mainland is LHD. Since living here, I've seen 3 new Mustangs in 2 colours, and I'm in a relatively small city considering. They look the part and are rapidly growing a local following, but man they look cramped inside! Almost like a 2 door 2 seat with a bench for your overnight bag.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #18
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
...Come on...it's not a limited run exotic supercar...it's a bloody old Mustang produced in vast numbers...
I think for that reason, and that you can jump on a lot of US forums to read about owners experiences good and bad, is partly why so many may have jump in with orders.

Add in there's a metric **** ton of Mustang enthusiasts down under and I'm surprised that the orders taken at this point aren't higher.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I'm happy for Ford, I truly am. I hope it's a great success.

However I am still honestly perplexed at how people can happily order and pay for a car that they haven't even seen, sat in, or test driven yet, just buying it on a "name"...
Truly weird...

Still wondering how many people...like us...who had the money to buy a Mustang and would really like one but were told that we would have to pay now and wait until late next year to collect it...and even when it's here actually sitting on showroom floors there will be long wait times to get one. Nope...turned us off straight away. Australians are used to driving home in your purchase if not the same day, shortly after buying it, not waiting a year.

Come on...it's not a limited run exotic supercar...it's a bloody old Mustang produced in vast numbers...
What do you mean pay for a car?? You don't have to pay for the car. You simply put a deposit on it and wait. If you don't want it, you get your deposit back. Once cars are here Ford will have no problem selling cars that people don't take. They will go like hot cakes at a biggest loser reunion.

Its pretty simple, you either want one or you don't. There are many Mustang enthusiasts in Australia, and many people who have always dreamed over owning one that have bought one.

Its no different to any other manufacturer who has a car that is in hot demand. Mercedes for instance is the same if you want something like a CLA45 or a GLA45, order, pay a deposit and wait patiently. 9 times out of 10 these cars get picked up 6 months down the track with no issue.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #20
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Yeah smoke on the money put deposit down and if it any point change your mind can be refunded, its just due to people getting in line with allocations.

You may be use to walking into the dealership and getting a vehicle same day but welcome to the world of purchasing cars the people actually want. Plenty of companies have waiting lists.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #21
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems plenty are interested, myself included. The real question is how many orders will turn into sales.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #22
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

My local dealer will be showing the Mustang one afternoon in a couple of weeks. I'm intending to go and have a sticky beak.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #23
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

There was a Red one following me down Thompson road in Geelong just a few hours ago. Had the GT badge on the back, looked real nice... sorry no pics...
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #24
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Yeah smoke on the money put deposit down and if it any point change your mind can be refunded, its just due to people getting in line with allocations.

You may be use to walking into the dealership and getting a vehicle same day but welcome to the world of purchasing cars the people actually want. Plenty of companies have waiting lists.
And those people walking into a dealer and taking delivery within a week are driving away in a Hyundai i30, Toyota Camry, Kia Puss Box ect ect...................hardly cars to lust over.

Mustang is a new generation, aspirational product in high demand all around the world so naturally people are going to have to wait. Like anything, if someone truly wants something, the wait is worthwhile.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #25
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The mustang is only 125K, time Ford took a get real pill and made a affordable performance car that would sell.

I think there like 45k in the states.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #26
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
The mustang is only 125K, time Ford took a get real pill and made a affordable performance car that would sell.

$125K? - Where did you get that information from?

More like low $60K's here for a 5.0 GT.
Old 27-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #27
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
There was a Red one following me down Thompson road in Geelong just a few hours ago. Had the GT badge on the back, looked real nice... sorry no pics...
im sure i seen that one in lara a couple of weeks ago as well
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #28
tonys6550

Quote:

, Me thinks you have been misinformed! Check out the Ford website for accurate details.
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #29
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:

You must have read Wheel magazine.
Re-read the article and comprehend.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #30
Snake Bite

Yeah I'm keen to get one but really want to see it in the flesh. The wait time seems long but as others say it looks very much like the wait will be worth it.