Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
nat_daly
Nat D

Default law vs exhausts

does anyone know what is the max dB for an exhaust is in NSW? if your above this limit, what will they do? when taking a muffler off how much dB does the exhaust make?
cheers,
Nat D

nat_daly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
aimzes
...fairly odd

im sure for pre 83 cars its 94-96? and for cars made after that its been dropped to 90 now.

you could just say stuff it and whenever you see a cop push in the clutch and idle past hehehe.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
nat_daly
Nat D

lmao sounds bloody good to me haha
Old 06-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #4
FordFan86
meow

/me looks around for MrLandau and his coupe....
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
/me looks around for MrLandau and his coupe....
Did he win the Golden Muffler Award (tm) too?

it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #6
nat_daly
Nat D

has he removed the muffler?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:01 PM   #7
FordFan86
meow

His coupe run's (12's?) on avgas and drowned out my stereo up fairly loud while overtaking someone 3 cars ahead of me.... ing LOUD! He runs a twin system with 2 mufflers and that's it a i think. He said it was a fairly straight exhaust system so the gases didn't really get slowed down... i'm sure he can tell you more about it than i can.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #8
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
His coupe run's (12's?) on avgas and drowned out my stereo up fairly loud while overtaking someone 3 cars ahead of me
holy s**t. thats awesome.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
nat_daly
Nat D

right u are that is awesome..
im taking my muffler off in 2 weeks, anyone have any comments to make about this?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:21 PM   #10
Falchoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_daly
right u are that is awesome..
im taking my muffler off in 2 weeks, anyone have any comments to make about this?
Why? :
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2005, 08:35 PM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
does anyone know what is the max dB for an exhaust is in NSW? if your above this limit, what will they do? when taking a muffler off how much dB does the exhaust make?
cheers,
Nat D
90dB at 3000 rpm(?)

It doesn't take much above the stock system, that's for sure. I got my system done on my BA with the proviso that it had a decent bark across the rev range but didn't scream when I stuck the boot in. Been into a few booze buses then and not raised an eyebrow.

Exhaust noise has been cracked down heavily in Sydney recently. When I had my system done, there were several cars in there getting theirs reworked after a defect notice for too much noise.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #12
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
90dB at 3000 rpm(?)

It doesn't take much above the stock system, that's for sure. I got my system done on my BA with the proviso that it had a decent bark across the rev range but didn't scream when I stuck the boot in. Been into a few booze buses then and not raised an eyebrow.

Exhaust noise has been cracked down heavily in Sydney recently. When I had my system done, there were several cars in there getting theirs reworked after a defect notice for too much noise.
its going to drop even further in 2006
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 03:33 PM   #13
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchoon
Why? :

I'm with this guy.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 03:48 PM   #14
stiddy
Banned

ive got an AU XR6 with a 3in high flow cat, 3in mandrel bent exhaust pipe and only one small 14in straight through muffler.. and yeah its bloody loud but i havent really had any trouble from police.. (yet) but i dont go round on full noise past coppers..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 04:12 PM   #15
nat_daly
Nat D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchoon
Why? :
not all of us are rich, iw ant a way to get my car sounding louder and so far thats the best way to do it for low cost.. like spending $300 for just a cat back exhaust.. thats where the : comes into it.. if anyone has a way to get the car louder for a cheap price id sure as hell love to hear it..
Nat D
Old 07-08-2005, 04:18 PM   #16
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not all of us are rich, iw ant a way to get my car sounding louder and so far thats the best way to do it for low cost.. like spending $300 for just a cat back exhaust.. thats where the : comes into it.. if anyone has a way to get the car louder for a cheap price id sure as hell love to hear it..
Nat D
What has rich got to do with anything?, its about doing it right, that means if you cant afford it now just save a bit longer.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #17
nat_daly
Nat D

but apparently taking the muffler off and replacing it with stright pipe, ireduces backpressure helping the engine function better.. how is it not doing it right? if this is the case?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:38 PM   #18
benXaGt

Mate you should here mine then in my coupe i cant cluch in past coppers i have to turn the car off and roll past them :p

Nah seriously but i have a 351 xa coupe running pacemaker extractors and 3inch 2 pipes into 1 pipe into a hotdog and exiting out the left side of the car no muffler and i run it every day i think im going deaf lol.

Its not legal but i havnt been told off yet :P
benXaGt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 04:42 PM   #19
nat_daly
Nat D

man thats what i like to hear! lol my mates got a 351 XY pretty good car for a p plater.. lol
yeah but you love the sound of your car right? u wouldnt get bored of it..no matter how loud it is..
cheers,
Nat D
Old 07-08-2005, 04:55 PM   #20
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

I'm contemplating removing my one and only muffler too. All that will be left is the resonator at the back.

I decided not to worry about the noise regulation because if all those habibs can get around with 100+db exhausts on Honda Civics, I should be able to in a sweet Windsor...
Old 07-08-2005, 04:58 PM   #21
benXaGt

hahahaha sik yeah i had a 351 xa sedan when i was a P'plater and it had 3' straight through exhaust system with lukey mufflers you could hear me coming like 3-4 kms away same as my coupe really. Yeah i love the sound of a V8 nothing beats it. No way id get bored of it why do you think i bought another 1 cause there ace. The manual is way better sounding then my old c4 auto. Btw just dont draw attn to your car and the coppers wont hassle you out.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:59 PM   #22
nat_daly
Nat D

ahh good someone agrees, and yeah your right you see riceburners with 5 inch tips running way out of the legal range.. the way i see it $70 for a louder car and more throttle response is a cheaper alternative
Old 07-08-2005, 04:59 PM   #23
benXaGt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
I'm contemplating removing my one and only muffler too. All that will be left is the resonator at the back.

I decided not to worry about the noise regulation because if all those habibs can get around with 100+db exhausts on Honda Civics, I should be able to in a sweet Windsor...

Yeah you gotta love the sound of a wipper snipper with a milo tin exhaust they sound fully sik mate. How can they get away with it beats me
Old 07-08-2005, 05:02 PM   #24
nat_daly
Nat D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351xafairmont
hahahaha sik yeah i had a 351 xa sedan when i was a P'plater and it had 3' straight through exhaust system with lukey mufflers you could hear me coming like 3-4 kms away same as my coupe really. Yeah i love the sound of a V8 nothing beats it. No way id get bored of it why do you think i bought another 1 cause there ace. The manual is way better sounding then my old c4 auto. Btw just dont draw attn to your car and the coppers wont hassle you out.
your a smart man going straight into old skool falcons, and thanks for the tip about not drawing attention
haha hear you com,ing from 3-4 klms away.. what a beast! you must honestly love your car
as for worrying about coppers.. :the_finge haha
Old 07-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #25
nat_daly
Nat D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351xafairmont
Yeah you gotta love the sound of a wipper snipper with a milo tin exhaust they sound fully sik mate. How can they get away with it beats me
haha another guya know has one of these and honestly i can say that it would look(and sound better with a baked beans can, he gets so much as all my mates are ford fans.. haha
Old 07-08-2005, 05:10 PM   #26
benXaGt

So what car do you have?

Yeah ive owned 2 cars now and im 21 years old a xa sedan and a xa coupe both 351's the coupe im paying of and the sedan i still own but i gave it to my brother in law for $2000 i spent about $8000 on the driveline and it handles really well it can take corners at like 70/80km/h and has no body roll but it got yellowed and taken off the road.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:16 PM   #27
nat_daly
Nat D

this is dissapointing but i only got an 1999 au falcon ..until i can afford a decent XB!!
so i want to make it as tough as i can but while not hurting the bank budget too much
you should of sold that to me!!! $2000 now thats a bargain for a 351
Old 07-08-2005, 05:20 PM   #28
benXaGt

Yeah i no i had the engine all recond and the gearbox recond 1yr ago and new suspention nolethane all round, big fat tyres, flat black paint job , it was a very evil car and turned heads everywhere even though it was roughf on the outside. I miss it heaps but got a better toy now
Old 07-08-2005, 05:24 PM   #29
nat_daly
Nat D

sounds like a bloody nice car..
oi you know how much it is to change the single pipe so it goes into a twin tip?? u know how much iwt would cost?
Old 07-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #30
benXaGt

twin tip togeather or one on either side ?