Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Cyclists V Cars

I had problems with cyclists ,this morning. Road hogging, I had to crossover the centre line to get around them.
Which, got me thinking, cyclists are like fleas on a dog. A nuisance to car drivers, they infest the road.
Sorry if this offends, but cyclists need to obey the road rules. Not think they are above the law. Then, they wonder why they get hit !!!
Cyclists should be registered and held accountable for their riding, when on public roads. Not run red lights etc..
Maybe its a few spoiling it for everyone else. Cycling Queensland won't do anything about.."its just car drivers being impatient" BS!!!
Off my soapbox...

Old 09-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Re: Cyclists V Cars

Yes - some of them can be bad - I have more issues with Motorbikes lane splitting at 100Klm/h.............

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 09-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

car drivers are just as arrogant - and there are many more of them around
Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't there a special exemption for cyclists so they don't have to obey road rules? Actually, I think that some car/truck drivers think they are exempt from road rules/laws.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one is perfect and we all need to take a deep breath count to 10 and try to avoid doing something you regret

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
Old 09-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I had problems with cyclists ,this morning. Road hogging, I had to crossover the centre line to get around them.
Which, got me thinking, cyclists are like fleas on a dog. A nuisance to car drivers, they infest the road.
Sorry if this offends, but cyclists need to obey the road rules. Not think they are above the law. Then, they wonder why they get hit !!!
Cyclists should be registered and held accountable for their riding, when on public roads. Not run red lights etc..
Maybe its a few spoiling it for everyone else. Cycling Queensland won't do anything about.."its just car drivers being impatient" BS!!!
Off my soapbox...
cyclists had a wonderful day.. out in the fresh air....

fattys unite wheezing behind their keyboards lacking in vitamin D.....
Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let me start this post by saying that I am not a cyclist. I am however a motorcyclist which is another much targeted minority. I also believe that the roads are for everyone to use as they please provided it is within the law. Not just car drivers, many of who for some reason believe that they are the only one with a god given right to use the roads! It is this attitude by some motorists which causes many more accidents than the odd one involving a bike! In many ways, we all pay for the road system regardless of our chosen mode of transport, so live and let live I reckon.

Now what is really erking you? The fact that many people don't follow road rules, or the fact that a slower moving vehicle in front of you (which has the right to be there) is slowing your trip to work by a couple of seconds? Whats your hurry anyway?

I cross over the centre line all the time to pass slow moving cars and trucks. Explain to me the difference?

Cyclists do have to follow the road rules, just like truck drivers, car drivers, scooter drivers and motorcyclists. Whether or not they do is up to them, but they face the same thing as you do in your car if caught.

I don't believe that cyclists should be registered, because I cant see a point in it. Most people who cycle do so because of the health benefits, something which should be encouraged in this lard ****, couch potato world that we now live in.

They don't do it to avoid rego, so why would you propose that they be lugged with rego, the cost of which may in fact discourage them from this healthy endeavour, particularly when the road system doesn't take them into account for the most part. In other words, the government wouldn't do anything to make it safer or easier to get around on the road on a bike with the collected rego money, so why should they pay for the privelidge? 99.9% of them already own multiple vehicles which they no doubt pay through the nose for rego, insurance, etc.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
XR8_ash
2 wheel pilot, V8 novice.

Quote:
Off my soapbox...
Up in the Adelaide Hills, there are ******** parasites......
They ride 2 or 3 abreast therefore making you either jump on the brakes to 20km/r or overtake. Now when I do the speed limit going around a blind corner just to be faced with a wall of these c**ks and I have no where to go its only a matter of time when they will cause a serious accident. Now we all know the ...... yeah but car/truck/motor bike rider are ...... blah, blah blah, just remember that we have to to pay rego and tax. A cyclist that causes an acident can just peddle of with no rego, no I.D, no insurance etc....
Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Craiginmackay, what erked me was, they were outside the designated cycle lane, clearly painted in green with a bike symbol !! They were on the actual road !! Why cyclists should be registered is too pay for the dedicated cycle lanes. The money has to come from somewhere. Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for them..motorists pay with rego, fuel taxes etc for the roads. So, why shouldn't cyclists?????? off my soap box, again.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8_ash
just remember that we have to to pay rego and tax. A cyclist that causes an acident can just peddle of with no rego, no I.D, no insurance etc....

Cyclists don't pay any tax or rego? Maybe I better get myself a bike.

If your post is accurate, I then don't need to pay that $2500 rego bill I get for the 2 cars and 2 motorcycles that I own every year! Nor do I have to pay over $30K in income tax, as I currently do!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Usually I don't have a problem with cyclists unless:

1. They ride on the very edge of the bike lane, closest to the road. On sealed roads they have a nice wide lane they can use and be safe by staying as far left as possible, so why choose to be almost on the line?

2. Not riding single file, here number one also applies as when riding 2 or even 3 wide they often come out of the bike lane.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Some motorist need to study the road rules and find out what is legal and what is not, many things some complain about are totally legal!

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 09-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cyclists who ride Old Pac from Somersby to Berowra have an absolute death wish, the amount of idiots I have seen riding two sometimes even three abreast is just ridiculous, don't even get me started on the morons on motorbikes who think that its the Nürburgring
Old 09-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Craiginmackay, what erked me was, they were outside the designated cycle lane, clearly painted in green with a bike symbol !! They were on the actual road !! Why cyclists should be registered is too pay for the dedicated cycle lanes. The money has to come from somewhere. Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for them..motorists pay with rego, fuel taxes etc for the roads. So, why shouldn't cyclists?????? off my soap box, again.
So where is the illegal thing coming into it. Pretty sure that not using a bike lane is not illegal. Do you get upset when buses are not in bus lanes, or people car pooling puul out of the T2 and T3 lanes congesting up the road more than it needs to be?

Do you really think that collecting a small fee each year for bike rego is going to provide better infrastructure in terms of bike lanes all over QLD? Motorcycles pay rego. Seen any motorcycle lanes about?

Outside of Brisbane, 90% of the state doesn't even have a decent enough shoulder on the roads to pull over in the event of a breakdown, so I don't see anyone putting in more bike lanes if you started slugging cyclists a few $ a year.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
Usually I don't have a problem with cyclists unless:

1. They ride on the very edge of the bike lane, closest to the road. On sealed roads they have a nice wide lane they can use and be safe by staying as far left as possible, so why choose to be almost on the line?

2. Not riding single file, here number one also applies as when riding 2 or even 3 wide they often come out of the bike lane.
Neither of which is illegal. Actuslly I believe in some states you are supposed to ride single file but I believe it is perfectly legal to ride 2 abreast in QLD.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Some motorist need to study the road rules and find out what is legal and what is not, many things some complain about are totally legal!
There is a difference between being legal and being courteous though.

If someone on the road is going 1/3 to 1/2 of the speed limit I think it is very selfish to prevent people from being able to pass you safely because of your road position, regardless of whether you are on a bike, car, truck, whatever.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
Motorcycles pay rego. Seen any motorcycle lanes about?
Not specific ones .... but they are allowed to use Bus and transit lanes legally anytime they like.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

it is also courtesy to give at least 1 meter clearance when passing a cyclist, not many motorists do that, even when the road is wide enough

Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Driving around cyclists is simple and straightforward. I don’t understand what all the stress is about. It isn’t hard to behave safely.

All you have to do is give them plenty of room, and behave predictably. Something like a metre’s gap, preferably 2 metres if you’re passing them at 60km/hr.

Don’t try to overtake at all costs, like some do. You just look really dopey when the girl or guy on the bike passes you again at the next set of traffic lights.

There’s no point in being impatient: it’s not the bike rider holding you up. It’s all the other family sedans and 4WD’s on the road doing what yours is… carrying a SINGLE occupant. You’re not caught in traffic. You are the traffic.

As I'm a cyclist, this topic gets me going. Most cyclists are motorists as well, and DO pay taxes.

As for cyclists having registration plates so you can report them, when was the last time you reported a motor vehicle for on road infringements?

Here are some road rules for cyclists:

You must:
• ride as near as is safely possible to the far left
side of the road. On a multi-lane road or a road
with two or more lines of traffic travelling in the
same direction as you, you can occupy a lane and
travel in the right hand lane when necessary (for
example, to make a right turn)
• ride to the left of any oncoming vehicle
• not overtake another vehicle on the left if that
vehicle is turning left and giving a left change of
direction signal
• not ride more than two abreast unless overtaking
• ride within 1.5m of the other rider if riding two
abreast.

Some food for thought
Old 09-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
There is a difference between being legal and being courteous though.

If someone on the road is going 1/3 to 1/2 of the speed limit I think it is very selfish to prevent people from being able to pass you safely because of your road position, regardless of whether you are on a bike, car, truck, whatever.

Really? If a semi was travelling 40kph slower than the speed limit on a highway, I would prefer that he stay on the road and then let me get around him, rather than get out on the shoulder and start throwing rocks and other crap up at my pride and joy.

As for being courteous, I suppose when every one else on the road starts showing a bit of courtesy, the cyclists will follw suite? LOL

The reason a bike rider chooses to hold their position rather than pull over too far to the left is so you, the motorist approaching from behind has to stop and think about the pass before doing so. If they were right on the edge most motorists would blow right by without considering the cyclist, potentially clipping them on the way by.

All it takes is a little bit of common courtesy people. No ones life is worth the extra 10 seconds it takes you to get to where you are going in your cocoon on wheels becasue you just had had to give way to a slower moving vehicle in the lane in front of you rather than mowing them down.

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 09-06-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #21
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Not specific ones .... but they are allowed to use Bus and transit lanes legally anytime they like.

Thats true but they are not specifically for motorbikes. Besides which, there are no bus or transit lanes within 1000klm of my place of residence. Does this mean I get some kind of rebate on my bike rego for not being able to use these?

In some parts of Europe, they have a box between the stop line and the pedesrian crossing at a set of lights. This is for motorbikes and scooters to filter through the traffic and have somewhere to go when at the front of the queue. Nothing like that here though, is there? No allowancesin road design for anything with less than 4 wheels!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What really erks me more then slow cyclists in a car lane, are cars which drive up a bike / park lane to overtake everyone at peak hour traffic and then cut you off because there is suddenly a parked car or traffic island in the way in the bike lane.

I see a majority of "road users" who dont follow the rules and push their luck continually, not just cyclists.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8_ash
Up in the Adelaide Hills, there are ******** parasites......
They ride 2 or 3 abreast therefore making you either jump on the brakes to 20km/r or overtake. Now when I do the speed limit going around a blind corner just to be faced with a wall of these c**ks and I have no where to go its only a matter of time when they will cause a serious accident. Now we all know the ...... yeah but car/truck/motor bike rider are ...... blah, blah blah, just remember that we have to to pay rego and tax. A cyclist that causes an acident can just peddle of with no rego, no I.D, no insurance etc....
two minute tourists with tissue boxes on the parcel shelf are a bigger problem up in the hills.. pulling up and throwing u turns on blind corners and how they love to travel at 30kmh below the posted limits....
Old 09-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

As long as cyclists abide by the rules I have no issue with them.
It's the majority I see everyday in my travels around Sydney that break every law possible that annoy me more than anything.

Oh ... just had a quick look at ruling for NSW .... if there is a bike path/specific bike lane ... they must be used (ie: not allowed to meander out into the left traffic lane if that provision is there for them)
Old 09-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #25
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why cyclists should be registered is too pay for the dedicated cycle lanes. The money has to come from somewhere. Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for them..motorists pay with rego, fuel taxes etc for the roads. So, why shouldn't cyclists?????? off my soap box, again.

I do not use my local library or many other council/Government supplied services, so should I be able to get a discount on my rates or taxes?

My wife and I already pay quite a few regos, why do I need to pay more?, but asking that, I'll happily pay rego for my bike, when there is a system in place that you pay rego for how many klms you travel no matter which vehicle you are using.
If you have a small child and Santa brings them their first bike for Christmas, will you happily now pay for registration?

Old 09-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #26
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
I dont know may cyclists that don't also own 1 or two cars. Does being a cyclist excempt them from all taxes and rego? Because if so I'm in!

Their allowed to be there you just need to chill out. It's drivers with your attitude that stop me from riding on the roads!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #27
Pis-ton broke
Banned

I,m ok with slowing down to go around a bike, provided they not half over in the lane. And i don,t like those bike riders going two abrest, thats a bit inconsiderate, it goes both ways doesn,t it. on the country roads i always move right over and give them heaps on room, provided theres no traffic coming the other way.

rego on push bikes, i don,t think so. theres to much red tape in life allready.

Can you imagine going before the judge, no rego ,no hat, whats your excuse young man?. it can get a bit ridickulas.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #28
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
it is also courtesy to give at least 1 meter clearance when passing a cyclist, not many motorists do that, even when the road is wide enough
agreed

Quote:
Really? If a semi was travelling 40kph slower than the speed limit on a highway, I would prefer that he stay on the road and then let me get around him, rather than get out on the shoulder and start throwing rocks and other crap up at my pride and joy.
so would I. I am not talking about moving off the road, just sharing what is there as best as we can.

A better comparison would be motorists that take massive wide left hand turns from the right hand side of the lane even though they are in a tiny light car. Selfish road position

Quote:

As for being courteous, I suppose when every one else on the road starts showing a bit of courtesy, the cyclists will follw suite? LOL
fair enough, probably not the best attitude if you want to co-exist with other types of road users

One other thing I have to say. I would so happily pay rego on my bike if it meant I never had to hear another winging motorist say "yeah, but you guys don't pay rego"
Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
Jim5_0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only thing that ****** me off about a cyclist riding on the road when there is a cycle lane next to them is that they have no regard for their OWN safety as the cycle lane is a much safer alternative than the road.

A mate of mine cycles to work almost every day. If he does not cycle then he drives his Discovery. I for one would rather be stuck behind a cyclist than a Walley Trolley blocking my view down the road.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #30
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
As long as cyclists abide by the rules I have no issue with them.
It's the majority I see everyday in my travels around Sydney that break every law possible that annoy me more than anything.
Same can be said about any road user though, so why single out the cyclists. Between speeding, failing to come to a complete stop at Stop signs, not giving way, mobile phone use, lack of courtesy, not keeping right, double parking, eating, drinking, shaving, changing CDs or radio stations, applying make up while driving. All of these technically can be illegal.

Lots of things erk me a lot more than the odd cyclist trying to make it home safely, maybe bending the rules, maybe not.

Like people who are ignorant!
Closed Thread