Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 22-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Kyl3
Circlework.com.au

Unhappy Scott Kalitta dies in tragic accident..

Quote:
Quote:
Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta was killed today in a fiery crash during a drag race at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, race officials said.

Kalitta, 46, was pronounced dead at a hospital in Old Bridge after his car lost control during the fourth and final round of qualifying at the National Hot Rod Association Super Nationals, according to statement by the association.

Witnesses said Kalitta was speeding at an estimated 300 mph during the National Hot Rod Association Super Nationals when the engine of his Toyota Solara exploded in a ball of flames.

The driver was killed after he lost control of his vehicle," said Sgt. Julian Castellanos, a spokesman for the State Police.

Lynette Davis, a spokeswoman for Raritan Bay Medical Center in Old Bridge confirmed that Kalitta was brought to the hospital at 4:56 p.m., but she would not release further details pending the notification of family members.

Spectators at the track watched as Kalitta's car exploded, hit a sand trap, then vaulted over a protective catch fence. A slow-moving ambulance took the driver away.

Kalitta, 46, of Palmetto, Fla., was a two-time Top Fuel champion (1994-95) had 18 career victories, 17 of them in the Top Fuel class.

He began his racing career at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in 1982.

His father, Connie Kalitta, the legendary driver/team owner known as "The Bounty Hunter," was his co-crew chief, along with Glenn Mikres. Kalitta's cousin, Doug Kalitta, compete sin the Top Fuel class.

Castellanos said that the event was being taped for ESPN, and police will review the tapes to determine what caused the accident.
If any of you follow drag racing, you will best remember Scott for holding the national Top Fuel record at WSID at the last international top fuel event where he went 4.51 @ 332mph

Rest in peace Scott :cry:
Video is here IF you can stomach it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU

Scott still holds the TF record at WSID from the internaional top fuel event in 2006 where he and Dave Grubnic competed against our local top fuel drivers..

Very very very sad day in drag racing :(

Old 22-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
smally289
growing up is optional

Very sad day indeed. I guess he was doing what he loved though.

Some choice comments on the site.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Holy crap, that was insane. Am I right to assume the explosion stuffed the parachutes so it had no way of stopping?

RIP.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Whoa...........that is tragic...........and to think it may have been witnessed by his family in the pits as well. What a terrible way to go.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

i remember that day at WSID.

what a shock. :( what can you say.

R.I.P. scott
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is so sad, tragic day in the drag racing community.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
351capri
windsorman

very sad indeed. rip scott .condolences to family..
Old 22-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
kippa

Default Rip Scott

RIP SCOTT
I met Scott,Doug & the Kalitta TF race team in 2004/5 at the nationals in the US. Yes Scott was driving TF Rail then, Great guys to talk too, very down to earth & very fast race car drivers.
It's a very sad day, Condolenses to his family, friends & race team

From the Gentech Performance Team & C & K Hunter Engineering.
kippa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
US kills Falcon

Drag racing has to be the most dangerous form of motorsport. I am surprised (and glad) more people don't perish.
US kills Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
BabyJ
Slow Learner

RIP Scott
Old 22-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #11
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Unfortunate pic but anyway hope it loads ?
http://www.fullboost.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6537

He will be missed .......... :(
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #12
BENXR6T

RIP

very sad.....thoughts are with his family and friends

20" incubus rims
6 speed manual
BLUEPOWER CAI
twin 2.5" catback

more to come
BENXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

R.I.P

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
HP-0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #14
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Holy crap, that was insane. Am I right to assume the explosion stuffed the parachutes so it had no way of stopping?

RIP.
As for the chutes, I too noticed that they took their own sweet time coming out......and, in the previous qualifier, he had a chute pop straight out on the launch, wasting the run.....did they adjust or modify them?
Just makes you think is all....

Our hearts go out to the Kalitta family.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by US kills Falcon
Drag racing has to be the most dangerous form of motorsport. I am surprised (and glad) more people don't perish.
Sorry dude, but stacks more people get hurt in go karts, speedway or rallying than Pro drag racing......
Per head of competitors.....drag racing worldwide has one of the best safety records in motorsports..... :
Sure, you're going to get a freak deal sometimes, and as we've seen, today was one of those times :
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....

Last edited by RegSpec; 22-06-2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: spell
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #15
Purple Flash
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a sad sad day for the motorsports side and also the family, friends & team, my thoughts & prayers are with them. the same feeling as when dale earndheart died in that tragic race at the nascar track.
R.I.P scott

Purple Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 01:18 AM   #16
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RIP.

Funny cars are by far theworst when it comes to unanticipated accidents, fires, tyre shake and crashes. Especially since Eric Medlin's death, they have improved a lot of the safety criteria, but still its a risk with every race.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #17
stojaa
Starter Motor

wat the hell was a concrete wall doin at the end of the track. shouldnt there be a decent amount of distance n that sand stuff like that they hav on the grand prix traks. probably would have saved his life if they got to him in time from the fire

r.i.p
stojaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 09:21 AM   #18
hot460

Quote:
Originally Posted by stojaa
wat the hell was a concrete wall doin at the end of the track. shouldnt there be a decent amount of distance n that sand stuff like that they hav on the grand prix traks. probably would have saved his life if they got to him in time from the fire

r.i.p
A sad day. R.I.P.

I also thought the same thing about the sand trap etc.
Old 23-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #19
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:

r.i.p
Unfortunately that track seems to have a short "run off" area at the end of the track. NHRA should review the track and force them to lengthen the paved run off and sand trap. I'm sure another competitor went straight through the catch fence as well.

R.I.P SK

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 11:04 PM   #20
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

That's not quite right, there has been more Top Fuel deaths in the last 20 years compared to Funny Car. Prior to Eric Medlens death last year there wasn't one for what seemed like forever, now theres been 2 in less than 18 months.

Any form of motorsport is dangerous......geez driving down the freeway is far more dangerous in reality.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #21
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Exactly , 4 x deaths in the last 48hrs on the coast roads , but at those speeds you really have to wonder what price for the thrill ???
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #22
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

r.i.p
RIP Scott

the reason theres a concrete wall at the end is because on the otherside is a public road, heres a pic of the strip

GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #23
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
RIP Scott

the reason theres a concrete wall at the end is because on the otherside is a public road, heres a pic of the strip

They may need to do the same as AIR. Ban TF/FC from runing full noise passes due to the lack of runoff.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #24
ricthewheelie
Frantic Ford Fanatic

RIP Scott
Need to have nets to stop that. Any car travelling at full speed on throttle will skip accross the sand.
As for US Kills Falcon comment about drag racing being dangerous, of course it is but its a hell of a lot safer than speedway and circuit racing if its done on a licensed track, not on public roads, even as a demo ala the racer who was charged in the usa for doing a burnout then running off the road into the spectators and killing a few of them in the process.
Old 24-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #25
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Saw the crash !! Sheesh again like the one at Eastern Creek a few years back....
WHY OH WHY have bloody conrete wall at the end and sfa to slow these cars down!!!
Aircraft landing style ropes and nets as last resort !! There should be no way the car can explode like that on impact !!
I saw the one at Eastern Creek.. I was deforestated for a week.. Just bloody stupid !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #26
351capri
windsorman

Unhappy

if you get a chance, watch robert height's (tribute) run , in the finals, espn tonite 7pm to 10pm. also on youtube. very moving. very sad. (this is the run he would have been up against scott...)
Old 26-06-2008, 01:20 AM   #27
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

NOT WRONG.. The ARMY, Tony Schumacher guys also...When he said mentioning sponsors.. Very emotional !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #28
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

There will definately be some changes made to the run off area after hearing Tony Pedregon & Tim Wilkerson speaking last night. They mentioned these accidents could have been avoided and how there sick of there mates dieing.

I thought it would have been great if Mike Neff could have won with John Medlen tuning his Boss engined Mustang, this would have given Medlen his first win since Eric passed away and also would have been the first win for the Ford Boss top fuel engine.

It will be interesting to see how Dave Grubnic returns to competition as he has only a small points lead in 10th spot and he has to hold onto that spot to make the cut off. He has been a part of the Kallita family for quite some time now and i imagine this would have had quite an impact on him.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post