Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default All tail lights out??

OK so I got a call that my partner who went to pick up a trailer from a hire place and that all of our tail lights have gone out.

Im talking RHS/LHS, spoiler light and the one in the rear glass!

So I first thought fuses, I pulled the ones related to the tail lights out all are in tact, no singe marks or anything like that. Also pulled out the larger fuse/relay on the LHS (I cant recall its number..its half the size of the flasher) and that shows no sign of failure.

I pulled the RHS tail light out, checked the bulbs. Filaments are fine and the "park" light works on both the LHS and RHS...so I believe the bulbs themselves are fine.

What does that leave me with? The only thing I can think of is maybe the brake light switch although from my 10+ years of Falcon ownership Ive never had a problem with them...how can I test it?

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 
Default Re: All tail lights out??

Hi. The brake light switch is a common fault on all falcons from EB to AU. If you haven't had one fail in 10 years you are doing well. Testing it is easy using a test light, just turn on the key and probe both terminals on the switch and one of them will make the light come on then probe the other terminal and at the same time hold down the brake pedal, if the light comes on the switch is OK and if the light does not come on the switch is faulty. The other way to test the wiring and globes is to link the terminals on the wires and with the key on the brake lamps should work. Cheer MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
EL.50
Just cruisin'

My guess would be brake light switch. I have had problems with EF/EL in the past, and have been informed AU are the same lol.
EL.50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Also, be wary, a fuse can be blown, but look ok. Test it with another fuse of the same value.

Just a thought

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
EL.50
Just cruisin'

Our AU had an issue with the brake lights the other day too, kept blowing the fuse instantly. Was earthing out in the tail light globe socket. Required a replacement socket.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Ok, so is it just the break lights that aren't working, or is the break lights and tail lights? Any problems with the head lights or park lights? Answer these and I'll point you in the right direction.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Brake lights.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
EL.50
Just cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Filaments are fine and the "park" light works on both the LHS and RHS...so I believe the bulbs themselves are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT View Post
Ok, so is it just the break lights that aren't working, or is the break lights and tail lights? Any problems with the head lights or park lights? Answer these and I'll point you in the right direction.
He says the park lights are fine. I think he's been pointed in the right direction to fix his brake lights too
Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Hey guys..sorry for the late reply.

It was most certainly the brake switch, so thanks for the tips. It just seems a large coincidence that it occurred when a trailer hire place was rigging up a trailer..hmm..better not happen again as I am going back friday.

Cheers!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Finding out that your lights are not working is a lot harder now days. People drive round in their own little comfort zone with air conditioning, sound systems and phones and then ignore someone in the car beside them trying to tell them that they have a problem, no one comes out to fill your car with petrol any more and do you even see you neighbours much more than once a month. Even with a car that can tell if you have a blown bulb, if a switch fails it still wont tell you as it doesn't know that you are braking. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post