Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria > FPV & XR Club of Victoria Discussions

FPV & XR Club of Victoria Discussions FPV & XR Club of Victoria Discussions

Old 30-11-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
gokhan76
Starter Motor

Unhappy BA MKII XR6 - Transmission fault or normal

Hi There,

I just recently bought BA MKII XR6. When in the lower rpms with the auto transmission when its changing in low rpms from 1st gear to 2nd gear there is a bit knocking and usually this happens or I usually feel knocking on the lower rpms.

I never had BA before so I don't know if this is normal with BA sequential auto's the funny think I dont know if this is Diff knocking or auto knocking king of hard to guess.

I took it to service the technician from ford sad auto trans. normal state on service report. ( Jefferson Ford.)

I need someone who has this car so I can be sure if this is normal behaviour.
Otherwise since I have the warranty till next year august I might as well get it fixed.

Regards,

Gokhan

gokhan76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

Sorry mate, I'm no mechanic but I would suggest that this is not normal. Typically ford dealerships (in general) try and state that it is within the normal range but it does not mean that it should be doing it or making those sounds.

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
PR8R
Yo

Smile

Hey i get a really similar problem in my mk2 xr6... One of my mates who's a mechanic said it was something in the diff i cant remember what, It's covered under warranty tho. I'm takin it in to ford in the next couple of weeks it's definitely not normal.
PR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
XRLightening

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKPhoon
Typically ford dealerships (in general) try and state that it is within the normal range but it does not mean that it should be doing it or making those sounds.
Sometimes I think that if the transmission were to fall out, Ford would still claim it to be in the normal range for operating procedures.

We just know him as THE MANTIS

-------------

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria
Daily Drive:
2005 GU IV Patrol, 4.8l Petrol, Manual, Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Electronic Brakes and Cargo Barrier.
Toy Drive:
1968 XT Falcon Ute - Dead Stock, Original and ALWAYS Garaged
XRLightening is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
ZX9er

Yeah I agree does not sound normal. Mine doesnt do it!

Speaking of Auto transmissions.... mine takes a couple of seconds to engage reverse. I spoke to the dealer and he stated that all BA sequential 4-speeds do it. Its "Normal". Anyone else have this delay in going to reverse??

Cheers
ZX9er is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Does it feel like a shunt in the rear when you manually change the auto?
Old 16-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
XRLightening

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9er
Speaking of Auto transmissions.... mine takes a couple of seconds to engage reverse. I spoke to the dealer and he stated that all BA sequential 4-speeds do it. Its "Normal". Anyone else have this delay in going to reverse??

Cheers
yeah mine does this. can be up to 3 or 4 seconds.

We just know him as THE MANTIS

-------------

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria
Daily Drive:
2005 GU IV Patrol, 4.8l Petrol, Manual, Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Electronic Brakes and Cargo Barrier.
Toy Drive:
1968 XT Falcon Ute - Dead Stock, Original and ALWAYS Garaged
XRLightening is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
qik40t

Smile auto tranmission

Quote:

Cheers
the delay going into reverse is not right my xr6 did it to you need a transmission oil cooler they make it for ba bolt on it will take you one hour to fit it if you are in sydney swan transmissions in enfield the delay is because the oil get to hot.
qik40t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
qik40t

Default diff noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR8R
Hey i get a really similar problem in my mk2 xr6... One of my mates who's a mechanic said it was something in the diff i cant remember what, It's covered under warranty tho. I'm takin it in to ford in the next couple of weeks it's definitely not normal.
it is the diff to much back lash
qik40t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
PR8R
Yo

Quote:

Cheers
I haven't had that problem, mine goes in straight away... Sometimes when i put it in reverse from park it makes a doonk sound from the diff and i got told that was normal by a carsalesman and that "ALL" ba's do it... Anyone else have that problem???
PR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 12:25 AM   #11
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokhan76
Hi There,

I just recently bought BA MKII XR6. When in the lower rpms with the auto transmission when its changing in low rpms from 1st gear to 2nd gear there is a bit knocking and usually this happens or I usually feel knocking on the lower rpms.

I never had BA before so I don't know if this is normal with BA sequential auto's the funny think I dont know if this is Diff knocking or auto knocking king of hard to guess.

I took it to service the technician from ford sad auto trans. normal state on service report. ( Jefferson Ford.)

I need someone who has this car so I can be sure if this is normal behaviour.
Otherwise since I have the warranty till next year august I might as well get it fixed.

Regards,

Gokhan
Doesn't sound normal.I have two BA's.Sounds to me like the diff bush it locates the diff

cheers

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 04:17 AM   #12
metalmania

I have had my BA from new and it makes that knocking noise. It is the diff doing that not the auto. It does it when slowing down going into a corner.My friend also has a BA turbo from new and his did the same thing . He got the diff replaced from Ford under warranty.Mine started doing it after the warranty ran out.I don't think it is that much of a problem if you don't mind the noise. The diff certainly won't fall out.
metalmania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #13
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR8R
I haven't had that problem, mine goes in straight away... Sometimes when i put it in reverse from park it makes a doonk sound from the diff and i got told that was normal by a carsalesman and that "ALL" ba's do it... Anyone else have that problem???

I have a BA MKII XR6 and I had the exact same problem when I purchased it. Going from park to reverse and loud doonk sound, Ford service say it is normal but I have actually discovered since that they are full of sh$t. Do you find that it is worse when parked on a bit of a hill? If it is, then the problem will more than likely be that the handbrake is not holding properly. Try pulling your handbrake on and moving slowly backwards or forwards and I'll bet the car will still move. You should only be able to pull it up about 4 - 5 clicks. According to my local mechanic Ford have absolutely no idea how to adjust the handbrake correctly. There is a cable adjustment on mine underneath on the undercarriage and it was almost adjusted to the end of the thread (which is about 75mm in length) The correct way to adjust them if you have little or no cable adjustment, is by removing each back wheel, unbolting the calipers, slipping off the discs (make sure that you loosen the cable off first) you might need to give the disc a few taps with a rubber hammer to free it. Once you have it off give it a bit of clean out inside the disc drum and around the actual handbrake pad (looks like a big horseshoe and works on the same principle as a drum brake) There is an adjustment at the bottom of the pad which basically winds the shoe out and then you need to slide the disc drum back on, the adjustment can be done once the disc is on but the hole in the disc where the adjustment is to be made from is not overly generous so it is easier to adjust it out a bit first before putting the disc back on. It can be a bit of a headache to adjust so it is probably easier to get your mechanic to do it unless you have all the gear. Once the handbrake is working properly when you park, while the car is in drive with your foot on the brake, try pulling on the handbrake first, keep your foot on the brake pedal, drop it into neutral, take your foot off the brake, let the car settle, put your foot back on the brake and then put it into park. It might sound like a lot hassle but it is a simple routine once you've done it a few times and HEY PRESTO !!! when you put it back into reverse the DOONK sound should be history. I haven't heard the sound since.

Cheers
Russ :1syellow1
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post