Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 
Default Custom Air Box Interest

I have had numerous people PM'ing me to ask about getting an intake system made up like mine. Given that I have no proof or claims about what it can actually do, I can only assume that this interest is based on what people "believe" is better, sounds better or possibly wanting a more aggressive cosmetic touch to the engine bay.....

All these reasons are fair enough- I tried a few different systems with mine to find that this works the best for me (remembering the engine is modified too0

Some of you may laugh but the following photo is the "prototype' that I made from an enamal coated BBQ lid (that was new and unused BTW!) and the resulting photos show what it became. Comined with 2 x 45deg elbows, 8" piece of 4" stainless and a pod adapter for the MAF and this is what we end up with.

Rather than say to these guys I'm too busy to do 1 or 2 I thought I'd ask and remove mine and have them lazer cut from aluminium sheet then either polished or powdercoated (depending on preference). These can be made with 3" pipes too if preferred.

There would not be any holes needed to be drilled to mount them, which is a plus.

I would have to reshape the top of the shield to fit the contours of the series 1/xr's bonnet but other than that, pretty straight forward.

Reason I ask is if there is interest, i will need to gauge numbers to take to the fella I'd use to do them and get him to quote. Obviously, steel would be cheaper but I would prefer to use aluminium for weight among other things.....

See for yourselves and provide some feedback- as I said I can't really measure the improvement on my car as I have changed heaps but this may appeal to people purely for what it is, I don't know...... It's not a big sell job, i have a full time job and this would be just to do what I have spent some time coming up with for myself for someone else who would appreciate it.

This is the prototype in it's unfinished state

2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Excellent stuff Jim. If you decide to get them made up, count me in.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

Very nice jim looks good, as long as it works for you thats all that matters : who cares if others dont like it.
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well depending on the final cost I may be in.... (I suspect there will be a few in the same boat).

What sort of cost are we looking at with the 2 x 45deg elbows, 8" piece of 4" stainless and a pod adapter for the MAF?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Well Jamie this is quite good of you to offer these up. If I didn't have my G&D box I would definitely get one as Performance wise I can't see there being much of a difference, $$$ wise will be a different story though. I can see you getting many of these made up.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 12:24 AM   #6
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

mine cost about $50 to make, but using materials I already had for the box, plus I already had the MAF adapter. I would guess at around $250 all up (box, adapter and intake pipe), depending on sourcing the MAF adapters or having them made up....... But again, will have to ask first- there could certainly be ways of cheapening them up but i would rather settle on one type of "spec" with either 3", 3.5" or 4" pipe, and xr or high series bonnet.

When registering your interest could I also ask your preferences in polished/powdercoated box, intake tube yes or no and what size, what size MAF you have and whether series 1/XR or high series bonnet too.....
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 31-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #7
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator
Well depending on the final cost I may be in.... (I suspect there will be a few in the same boat).

What sort of cost are we looking at with the 2 x 45deg elbows, 8" piece of 4" stainless and a pod adapter for the MAF?
2 x 45deg black rubber elbows are about $15 each, piece of mild steel pipe is cheaper than stainless obviously, but probably $20 vs $40, 4 x hose clamps cost squat, powdercoating is not too bad, but what the MAF adapter and the sheet of ali cut to suit would be worth would be the variables.......... About 500mm of pinch moulding to seal against the bonnet, about the same across the bottom of the box to stop it rubbing against the guard and also seal it, two litle 90deg brackets to locate and mount it and thats about it really.

I cut mine with a jigsaw- the lazer cutting is dearer but nothing costs more than labour these days and lazer is quicker than bandsaw, more accurate and more repeatable........
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 31-01-2008, 12:48 AM   #8
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

Looks great Jim would be interested for my S3 XR8
1:Powdercoated
2:4 inch pipe
3:Sorry not sure about maf size same as other series 3s i guess
and the best part is i wont need postage :
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
james22
With da Warlords

Hmm definitely interested.

Bit of a tidy up.

1. au302s3 -- Powdercoated, - 4 inch pipe, - 70mm MAF - XR Profile

2. James22 -- Polished - 3.5 inch pipe - 70mm MAF - XR Profile

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
CFOUR
The Destroyer

1. au302s3 -- Powdercoated, - 4 inch pipe, - 70mm MAF - XR Profile

3. Cfour -- Polished - 3.5 inch pipe - 70mm MAF - XR Profile
Old 31-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #11
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks like a nice piece of kit there, I am certanly interested. Although, would this box setup be suitable for the 6 cylander Falcons also? I would just be after the box only. I attempted to make one up myself once, but ended up using the wrong type of aluminium. I am guessing there is some different type that is better for insulating heat, or is that what the powder coating does?

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

So for a standard XR8, what size piping would be required, or doesn't it really matter?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

There goes all the interest in my S/S airbox design i was trying to get started on :P
Old 31-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I would suggest that 4" pipe is going to rob an unworked motor of low down torque. Torque is assisted by intake air velocity, and a larger diameter pipe will slow the air down, and at low RPM, this will lose torque.

Also, the 4" diameter exceeds the air requirements of the heads/TB (most AUs have a 65mm TB or thereabouts) etc anyway, so it's just a waste. I would go no larger than 3" if it were me, but, hey 4" looks better, I suppose!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I would suggest that 4" pipe is going to rob an unworked motor of low down torque. Torque is assisted by intake air velocity, and a larger diameter pipe will slow the air down, and at low RPM, this will lose torque.

Also, the 4" diameter exceeds the air requirements of the heads/TB (most AUs have a 65mm TB or thereabouts) etc anyway, so it's just a waste. I would go no larger than 3" if it were me, but, hey 4" looks better, I suppose!
I agree 100% with this. I only have 4" because that's what I need- some people are in the same boat with worked AU's......

But for the most part 3" or even 3.5" would be sufficient. I have tried to make flexible points without having the need for ribbed-type joint also to improve flow and direction, but with no data to support the improvements I make no claims about any improvements at all.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 31-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

I agree with you there JC. 4" for a stroker, 3.5" for a modded 5.0 with a 70mm MAF/TB and a 3" for a stocker. Hell mine is still only a 3" pipe.
Old 31-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #17
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

1. au302s3 -- Powdercoated, - 3.5 inch pipe, - 70mm MAF - XR Profile
(changed pipe size after reading the advice of others thanks guys )

3. Cfour -- Polished - 3.5 inch pipe - 70mm MAF - XR Profile
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

definitely in for one of these given G&D's prices are "excessive"
Old 01-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
eXi7w0unD

does such product suit i6 s1 fairmont ghia?
Old 01-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #20
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXi7w0unD
does such product suit i6 s1 fairmont ghia?
I would think it could easily be adapted to suit. All you'd need to do is go to your local exhaust place and get a 3" intake pipe made up so that the filter can hang off the end of it inside the airbox.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #21
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

what about that little black airflow sensor? up closer to the throttle body, does it go somewhere ? couldnt see in the pic
Old 04-02-2008, 12:50 AM   #22
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
what about that little black airflow sensor? up closer to the throttle body, does it go somewhere ? couldnt see in the pic
Straight into the rubber elbow in the same location as stock- the elbow is thick enough that it sits in there perfectly.

I am actually having ou exhaust blanket guys I use for work on the trucks make up a blanket to suit the intake pipe over the next week or so too-see if it makes any difference.......
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 19-02-2008, 11:33 PM   #23
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Guys, want to get back to you on a couple of things but just waiting for the MAF POD adapter pricing and availability- what filters would you prefer to run- 3" or 4" inlets?
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 19-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #24
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Price both?

Hey any chance you can do a before and after comparison? You could add a few bobs to the final pricing to cover the cost...... and if you can show substantial gains then you will more than likely have quite a few orders which will more than cover the cost. Just an idea.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 20-02-2008, 01:25 AM   #25
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Can do I suppose- my car goes in for it's tune next tuesday so could always try it with and without the box and with 3.5" pipe as well- probably give the best variation as much as mine can I guess.......

to be honest though, mines not a good yardstick- I would like to try one on someone elses car and then see the differences, no dount a tune would make the most of any changes, but would be interesting nonetheless......
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 20-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #26
womble101

I would be very intrested in one for my stock 220kw xr8 :
If you go ahead with the plan I will grab one
womble101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #27
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Jim not hi jacking the thread but thought these maybe of interest.
I got this from a fellow forum member who is updating to an updated version by G&D.
If it wasn't for him I too believe they are too expensive and would never have bought one at full retail price but being second hand got a fair price.
Your pricing is around the $$ imo.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #28
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the result bluedriver? You have a T3 don't you?

Rides (past and present)

Old 21-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #29
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I can't say as yet, my last dyno run before the above set up was 219rwkw, will go back soon for a tweak then can post new results.
TBH bumometer nothing more nothing less but induction sound in cabin putting the boot into her is great ! Yes T3 auto.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post