Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Question AUII CD-Player

Hi All

I am the proud owner of a 06/00 AUII Forte Sedan Ex-Cab. The CD Player is the standard type and it don't play any CD's. It pulls the disc in, mucks around for 20 seconds or so and then spits it back out again. The radio works fine though. Basically, I at least want the ability to play CDs. Can I fix the unit? Do i need to replace it? Can i replace it with a six stack? What are your ideas.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

You using normal, 'genuine' cd's because sometimes they have trouble with copies and mine particularily doesnt like dirty cd's.

Being a cab though it might be cactus, i wouldnt bother putting a 6 stack in its way too expensive, Ford and the wreckers want too much for them and they break too easily.

Your best options would be get a direct replacement Headunit for cheap of the forums for like $50 or just go aftermaket. Personally id go aftermarket, the stock headunit was nothing to right home about anyway, and with 80% of today's aftermarket HU's you can get MP3/WMA support.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yes, i've tried with many different CDs, both perfectly new store bought and burnt ones, they all do the same thing. I am thinking it is cactus.

Interesting to know about the six stack, i won't persue that avenue then.

I would go the aftermarket option, but there is two problems with that. I kind of like the steering wheel audio controls, and how do you go about putting a standard DIN headunit in an AUII Dash?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Single din is no problem; good audio stores sell the single din pocket for AU's.

The steering wheel control thing is a bit more difficult, it can be done, but it can be quite expensive, there have been a few topics on this but i cant remember the details.

Im just waiting to see if anyone has any more ideas on how to repair the one youve got.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
Mr Hardware

Okay, thanks for your help Fairlane. Much appreciated.

Do any of you have any other suggestions? Or spare standard AUII/III CD- players for sale?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
janek
Ripping it up

yeah, its the standard thing, they seem to have a heart attack between 3-5 years. mine lasted almost 6.

now i have a brand new alpine fantomface 7998R , coupled with a 1000W RMS amp

all i need is speakers to go with the setup lol
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
Mr Hardware

And how did you go hooking it up in your AUII?
Do the steeringwheel controls work?
Old 10-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #8
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I wouldn't have thought a cab's CD player would get much use.

Have you tried a head cleaner?
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 04:05 PM   #9
Mr Hardware

Quote:
I wouldn't have thought a cab's CD player would get much use.
Yeah, i think thats the problem - if you don't use it you lose it.

I have tried a head cleaner CD, it went in, spun around a few times and spat itself back out at me. I think i might try and steal one out of a wreck or something.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Go to JB HiFi or Autobarn ... the sell the CAT09 for the AUII ... this is the plug in unit for the AUII steeringwheel controls ... although the AUI might be different though.

The six-stack factory units love eating CDs and not returning them back to it's rightful owner ... not worth the money in getting a factory in-dash 6-stack.

Definitely go the aftermarket headunit ... single DIN units are fairly easy to install and the pockets can be purchased to fit under them to plug the hole in the dash.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #11
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want another standard headunit, Ive got one spare and will be in livin in Goldie after sunday. Pm me if you want it
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
Mr Hardware

CAT09 hey?
How does this thingamejigy work?
Does it plug into your steering wheel controls or into the back of the headunit?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Plugs into both.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #14
Mr Hardware

Oh.
How much is one of these things worth? Do they work properly?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Last I heard it was around the $200 mark from JB Hi-Fi.
Well ... that's what I was quoted.

I am tossing up whether or not it's that much of a viable option in getting it.
AFAIK ... they work well.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #16
Mr Hardware

Wow. $200. That's more than a standard kenwood/pioneer mp3 headunit is worth.

I might stick with the standard unit, it's only an ex-cab i spose.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #17
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

You get used to not having the steering controls after a while, no huge loss.

The standard units are poor quality, cd mechanisms right down to the tuner.

I have replaced my Six stacker premium unit for a pioneer single DIN and wired the existing amp and sub, have never looked back.

For you it's simple to replace, all you need is a new deck & harness adapter from an auto store, a plastic pocket to fill the gap (from auto store or ford) plus an hour of your time to put it all in.

Well worth it.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I am used to not using the steering wheel control ... th remote is handy though.
I keep forgetting when i get in the Territory that I have steering wheel controls to use ... hee hee
Old 11-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #19
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

I just had a stereo installed with a CAT09 - go to JB and you should be able to get one for $120...i got mine from the WBJ in sydney. Mind you it broke after two weeks so I am going back in tomorrow to see if they can fix it. The volume up button stopped working but the others are ok (the gf prolly sabotaged the volume up!)

They work through infrared - so you'd need to buy a headunit that comes with a remote control.

There's no way I can give up my control - so damn convenient. :alien2:

edit: i forget the cost to install the CAT, but i think it was around $90 which i guess bumps the cost up to about $200.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #20
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Okay, thanks for your help Fairlane. Much appreciated.

Do any of you have any other suggestions? Or spare standard AUII/III CD- players for sale?
Mate my AUII forte cd player buggered up last year so i bought an aftermarket single din sony one and had it installed for half of the price i got quoted for a used AUII single slot head unit. This is the much better option imo because its cheaper, and it sounds better than the ford unit. The only downfall is theres no keyless play, and the steering wheel volume controls don't work.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 01:10 AM   #21
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a 6 stacker out of my AUII fairlane. I'm in Perth, make me an offer if you are interested. Still working.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 01:41 AM   #22
nokiafreddy
Starter Motor

I got a working premium sound 6 stack on ebay for $170, you just have to keep an eye out for them.
nokiafreddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #23
Mr Hardware

Okay, thank you ever so much for your help fellas
You guys are five star champs.
I will soon decide on my course of action, now i have all this good info.
Cheers once again guys.
Old 14-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #24
beaky41
AUII Fairmont Ghia

its possible that there is a cd stuck in it. my 6 stacker did this when I first got car found when I tried to load disc just spat it out. Found a disc in there that had got partly out of the tray

I aint as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was. _2:
beaky41 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post