Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 
Default Battery going flat...

We found that my battery goes flat in about 2 days. I purchased this car with this problem, as the seller had told me that whenever he went anywhere, or when the vehicle will sit for a while, he would disconnect the battery : ... but never told us he did it due to flat batteries :togo: ... he had installed a terminal disconnector, he installed it on the earth (good boy) and all you have to do is wind it in to connect it.

Now... we believe it maybe a problem with leakage from the alternator... any other suggestions?

Old 16-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
accurate1

Connect a Digital multi meter at the battery to measure parasitic current draw, if it is more than about 50 milliamps start pulling fuses one at a time until it drops down to almost nothing. This will at least tell you which circuit has the problem, it may be as simple as the boot light on all the time.
accurate1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by accurate1
Connect a Digital multi meter at the battery to measure parasitic current draw, if it is more than about 50 milliamps start pulling fuses one at a time until it drops down to almost nothing. This will at least tell you which circuit has the problem, it may be as simple as the boot light on all the time.
Genius solution! It's why I like these forums - there's always a solution "out of the box" that means you can locate the issue yourself, instead of paying a sparky $80 an hour to do the same thing - may still the sparky to rectify the issue, but at least it's already been identified.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by accurate1
Is that just using the DCV measure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Genius solution! It's why I like these forums - there's always a solution "out of the box" that means you can locate the issue yourself, instead of paying a sparky $80 an hour to do the same thing - may still the sparky to rectify the issue, but at least it's already been identified.
And you dont need to pay the sparky for the diagnostics :
Old 16-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Blueprint ..you helped me with your posts and Ill help back. Go to the car and do this check.Pull down your rear seats and look into your back boot.Is the back boot light on all of the time? If so then your back boot light switch is faulty.Also do you have a car alarm?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

No to car alarm, and the boot light is off...

And as i said before... i'm here to learn and to help others with what I know.
Old 16-09-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Clamp on DC ammeter is best way to check source of current leaks as you don't need to disconnect anything and you can follow the wiring harness along and branch off as required to track the source.
Old 16-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
No to car alarm, and the boot light is off...

And as i said before... i'm here to learn and to help others with what I know.
In the same vein, if your glovebox lid droops a bit the gb light can be on all the time. When it gets dark, check if any light is coming around the lid.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

ooo, never thought of that... thanks.