Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Car ideas

Just wanting to get some other thoughts on what car I should buy next in these parameters

4cylinder
around $20k no more then 25K

Needs to have some get up and go, as I will be getting rid of a xr6 ute, so can't go any slower then that.

My initial thoughts are an MY01 WRX or MY99 STI, but Im open to other ideas.. Got some??

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Mazda 3 Sp23
Ford Fiesta Xr4
VW Polo GTI
'05 Toyota Corolla Sportivo

Just a few you could check out of the top of my head. The Mazda 3 is supposed to be a top drive.

Ok the Fiesta and GTI will be a touch slower, but in the twisties these cars will hold up.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can find a MY03 WRX for that sort of price too. Just have to look around. Great cars but expensive if you're young.

Also other than that maybe a 200SX?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
paul_r_d

Fiesta Xr4
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

97 Nissan Bluebird SSS Most underrated 4 Cyl in it's class. Climate control, digital heads up display, grunty 2.5L 4Cyl engine (get the 5spd manual), premium sound (6 speakers with 6" splits, 6 x 9's and tweeters), cruise control, all wheel steering (or so i have been told) and a good size vehicle (midi sedan). We used to get 12km's per litre city driving and up to 16km's per litre country driving. Plenty of torque

These things were apparently sold for less than they cost to build but thats the price of failure for the previous nissan models. Mines done 330,000km's so far and hasn't missed a beat
Old 02-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Mazda 3 Sp23
Gets my vote.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
Casablanca
carburettor

the nissan range are quite good but you automatically get steroetyped as a ricer and therefore a hoon id personally go xr4 though i really liked the wrx.
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Tobey
BF Ute...

SP23 is a bit out of budget unless you get one with over 100,000k's. They are however a very nice car.

If you want something more economical what about egas ute. They are going in your price range.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
You can find a MY03 WRX for that sort of price too. Just have to look around. Great cars but expensive if you're young.

Also other than that maybe a 200SX?
Yeah forgot to mention the reason the Ute is going, is because I need 4 doors, so the 200 is out though as a single man they could be the go..

Have you got a Rex?

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cube
Yeah forgot to mention the reason the Ute is going, is because I need 4 doors, so the 200 is out though as a single man they could be the go..

Have you got a Rex?
Yeah I got a MY03 and I've seen some good ones go for between $23-25k. I paid $27k for mine nearly 1.5yrs ago now with 53 or 54k on the clock.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #11
Kryton

VW or Subaru should be your first point of call.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundaBird
97 Nissan Bluebird SSS Most underrated 4 Cyl in it's class. Climate control, digital heads up display, grunty 2.5L 4Cyl engine (get the 5spd manual), premium sound (6 speakers with 6" splits, 6 x 9's and tweeters), cruise control, all wheel steering (or so i have been told) and a good size vehicle (midi sedan). We used to get 12km's per litre city driving and up to 16km's per litre country driving. Plenty of torque

These things were apparently sold for less than they cost to build but thats the price of failure for the previous nissan models. Mines done 330,000km's so far and hasn't missed a beat
Thought they had a 2.4L but anyway...

Actually, the Bluebird had a 2L (SR20???) 4x4 turbo... I was looking for one for ages... till one zoomed past me with a "4 sale" sign on the back... was $6000! but by the time I was abe to get close enough for the number it vanished in the distance :(

Now that would be a sleeper with some poke!
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

For a new car there isn’t much for $20k.

If you are prepared to go the Jap import route where you cant be 100% of the history of a car and getting parts can be a hassle, there are a lot of alternatives.

6 cylinder:
Mitsubishi Legnum (2.5 litre V6 AWD turbo)
Toyota Aristo – Lexus Gs300 (3.0 RWD Turbo)
Toyota Chaser (3.0 RWD Turbo)
Nissan Stagea – (2.5 V6 Turbo – GTR AWD drivetrain)
Various Skyline variants – GTS, GTR, etc.

4 cylinder –
Nissan Silvia/180sx, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6 (yum) and various WRX’s. Some of them are only available for track/rally use in Aus so make sure.
There were even a few Lancer Evo 7-8-9 GTA (automatic) Wagon versions coming in – practical, quick, 4 cyl, easy to drive.

A friend has just got an 18K Stagea and he really loves it. When he has finished fiddling with it should be quite rapid. He also had an MR2 Turbo before he had kids.

If it was me I’d go the Lancer Evo wagons, Aristo or the Stagea
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #14
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Yeah I got a MY03 and I've seen some good ones go for between $23-25k. I paid $27k for mine nearly 1.5yrs ago now with 53 or 54k on the clock.
how do you find the fuel economy on them and I guess just the general drive.

I originally wanted a MY99 until I contacted the dealer and was shown a black 01, nice car and fun to drive, though a test drive for 30mins is not the best indication for a daily driver in the traffic, not that Canberra traffic is too thick.

AUI VCT:

Old 02-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #15
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Thought they had a 2.4L but anyway...

Actually, the Bluebird had a 2L (SR20???) 4x4 turbo... I was looking for one for ages... till one zoomed past me with a "4 sale" sign on the back... was $6000! but by the time I was abe to get close enough for the number it vanished in the distance :(

Now that would be a sleeper with some poke!
Yep you are right 2.4L in the Australian version sorry my bad

They did a 2L turbo in Japan (i think the engine was affectionally nicknamed "Tizzer" or the like).
Old 02-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

03-04 Honda accord euro FTW!

about 7.8L/100km city driving

classy looking cars, great refinement and comfort. Plus if you get the luxury model, you get heated leather seats, HID's, auto sensing wipers, sunroof, foggies as standard.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
how do you find the fuel economy on them and I guess just the general drive.

I originally wanted a MY99 until I contacted the dealer and was shown a black 01, nice car and fun to drive, though a test drive for 30mins is not the best indication for a daily driver in the traffic, not that Canberra traffic is too thick.
Yeah well if you can keep the boot out of it it's pretty good on fuel and even if you didn't it's not that bad really and I can't imagine it being more than say an SS or XR6T. A tank lasts me about 500km usually and I don't drive soft.

Well the drive would be quite different to a Falcon or Commodore. No where near as comfortable but that's what I liked about it, it's a drivers car. Very raw.

You have to give it some revs to get moving so sometimes in stop start traffic it can be a pain if you're not in the mood which is about as much as you can expect from a 4cyl which is like a base Impreza until you're on boost.

The gears are quite close as you might have found out so be prepared to shift quick on a spirited run.

Mine is a daily driver and to be honest it's not the best for daily driving but you get used to it and a it's a lot more fun. The 2.5l on the other hand I have heard is much more driveable.

It's quick in a straightline but really comes into it's own under brakes and in corners. You can wave goodbye to most cars going down the Clyde!

Only thing I've had to replace on mine is front rotors and pads but I suspect I got jibbed there. Other than that its still going strong with no problems at all.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #18
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the advice I think Im sold on the Rex. Now just got to find a good one...

AUI VCT:

Old 03-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #19
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can stretch to a Version 8/9 WRX do it, they look the biz just look at kooky's to see that (Show us your non-ford ride thread).

I used to average 9.85 l/100k in my Version 9.

The only aspect I didn't like was the rear seat legroom... pathetic !

If I didn't have a child I would still own an Impreza, easily the most fun car I have ever owned.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #20
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VW Golf powered Dallara. As quick as a V8Supercar for $22K.

http://www.australianformula2.asn.au/

http://wolfracingf3.com/Home/home/Main
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #21
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
The only aspect I didn't like was the rear seat legroom... pathetic !

If I didn't have a child I would still own an Impreza, easily the most fun car I have ever owned.
I noticed that also, though Im not planning on being in the backseat that often. and I figure if my passengers whinge, they can walk. ha ha

My daughter is only 20months at the moment and its not going to be the famiy car, just my work transport and second car, though on occasion the car seat may have to go in.. Do you rekon that would be a problem?

AUI VCT:

Old 04-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I've used the back seat like twice in the whole time I've owned mine. Meh I always get drivers seat anyway

Should be fine for a small family.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #23
Steffo
LPG > You

Sticking to the 4-cyl stuff...

Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
Peugeot 206 GTi180
Subaru Impreza WRX (03ish)
Nissan 200SX S15

Something along the lines of the above.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #24
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Sticking to the 4-cyl stuff...

Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
Peugeot 206 GTi180
Subaru Impreza WRX (03ish)
Nissan 200SX S15

Something along the lines of the above.
Already mentioned 200SX. He needs 4 doors
Old 04-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #25
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah after seeing Kooky's rex, Im sold on the 03.

AUI VCT:

Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #26
cool xd
GO THE CLEVO

what about a lancer evo? great little car, pocket rocket! WRX's are fine but they're like bums, everyones got one.
IT'S HARD TO FLY LIKE A FALCON WHEN YOUR SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS! PREVIOUS RIDES V8 cortina Telstar TX5 boosted up turbo 3 351 powered XDs 1 351 XD ESP with ESP581 number plates XF Wagon 302 with XF 302 plates
cool xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #27
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool xd
what about a lancer evo? great little car, pocket rocket! WRX's are fine but they're like bums, everyones got one.
The ones you could buy with that sort of money would be hard to find (I mean newer ones) but I was just about to mention it. Seen a EVO 6.5 for $27k a while back!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #28
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I noticed that also, though Im not planning on being in the backseat that often. and I figure if my passengers whinge, they can walk. ha ha

My daughter is only 20months at the moment and its not going to be the famiy car, just my work transport and second car, though on occasion the car seat may have to go in.. Do you rekon that would be a problem?
I don't see that being a problem, and they have good sized boot which helps.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #29
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool xd
Yeah I like the Evo, my Black Kelpie X is named Evo after the car..

I rekon this one would be a perfect fit in my family. But how to convince the wife, she isn't a big fan of the Evo look.
http://www.topsecretimports.com.au/car.jsp?k=STK049

Also Im not sure about the import market, things to look out for, servicing etc etc..

AUI VCT:

Old 05-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Cubey - is there anything wrong with the Ute? If not, have you considered installing a kid's seat in the ute? It sort of fits in between the two front seats, on top of the console - sounds weird, but apparently works well. I've seen one in a BA ute, and I'm sure I've seen a pic of one on here too!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post