Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default AU Seats

What's the difference between an AU Forte seat (SR) and Futura and above seats?

A broad question I understand, but I'm really struggling to get comfy in the SR, but the Futura seat is much more comfy. I suspect the bolstering on the Futura seat is much better.

Perhaps the wagon has a different roof line, allowing for the higher position. I seem to be sitting much lower in the sedan.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Perhaps I need a Fairmont single seat. How much would I be up for one you reckon?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Good question indeed ... it may just be driving position ... and being seated higher in the wagon (I find this going from my ute to the Territory ... the Territory I can get more comfortable in due to more adjustability with the seat).

I find my XLS seat quite comfortable (although one of the seat squab adjustments is loose and shift on me) ... eventually I am thinking of getting my front seats re-trimmed/bolstered ... as I am in the seat for such a long time ... I wouldn't mind it being more comfy.

A single seat should cost bugger all ... I remember seeing 2 front Fairlane leather seats at Macarthur Parts Plus for $280 for the pair ... they were the full power seats as well.

So a single Fairmont seat shouldn't cost that much.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

mmmm, fairmont and fairlane seats are the bomb, comfyness and power seats.lol.gotta love the leather seats in the AU's.
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

i hate my fairmont seats. i can never get comfortable in them. but thats me. and i like to sit nice and low. not too low, but as low as the seats go.

i sit too high in the electric seats.
Old 13-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

The XR seats in mine are awesome... and i'm 6'2" and built like a brick shitter... :P
Old 13-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

lol, i reckon they're alright, only thing wrong is they burn ya on stinkin hot days and they're freezing at 5 in the morning when the car has been sittin on the front lawn all night.haha.only thing is, everyone keeps playin with the electric seat, have to keep re-adjustin it
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
Old 13-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikford
mmmm, fairmont and fairlane seats are the bomb, comfyness and power seats.lol.gotta love the leather seats in the AU's.
Thanks for rubbing it in! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 13-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i hate my fairmont seats. i can never get comfortable in them. but thats me. and i like to sit nice and low. not too low, but as low as the seats go.

i sit too high in the electric seats.
Mine are nice and low so here's the idea Henri! You head towards Melb, I head towards Sydney. Where we meet is where swap the driver's seat over. It's only 4 bolts each car, we'd do it in less than half an hour I reckon!

Sound like a plan?

Alright, I'll shut up now! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 13-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Mine are nice and low so here's the idea Henri! You head towards Melb, I head towards Sydney. Where we meet is where swap the driver's seat over. It's only 4 bolts each car, we'd do it in less than half an hour I reckon!

Sound like a plan?

Alright, I'll shut up now! LOL!

GK
i dont think yours would be any lower, as mine aer still manual adjust! i dunno, i prefer more hugging seats, like the seats in my dads BA2 XR8 feel a world above mine, and im not sliding all over the base when taking a corner with a bit of enthusiasm!!!!
Old 13-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i dont think yours would be any lower, as mine aer still manual adjust! i dunno, i prefer more hugging seats, like the seats in my dads BA2 XR8 feel a world above mine, and im not sliding all over the base when taking a corner with a bit of enthusiasm!!!!
You must really be rack thin by the sounds of it...
Old 13-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #11
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On subject with seats,Ive got leather seats from AU2 ghia,good cond for sale,PM me
:-D
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Different Foam Characteristics

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
You must really be rack thin by the sounds of it...
not at all : maybe i just take corners harder than everyone else in fairmonts?
Old 14-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #14
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
not at all : maybe i just take corners harder than everyone else in fairmonts?
i dont know about that comment, i do hit corners facin the inside to scare ppl.lol.sydwayz action, woooo.ppl in the back seat slide but i dont.haha
My Ride
My Build Thread
Old 14-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

GK - silly question maybe, but have you got the seat base wound all the way up?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
GK - silly question maybe, but have you got the seat base wound all the way up?
Yep, but due to the size of my thighs (alright stop laughing everyone!) they hit the wheel when I get in and out of the car.

I guess I have to try to put up with it, but its like I sink further into the seat with the SR.

Also, the wheel in S2-3 cars is thicker than the S1. That adds to the aforementioned thumder thigh issue! LOL!1

I should meet up with Andy and drive his Ghia back to back with my SR to see. That sounds like a good excuse for a coffee and cruise one Saturday morning!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 14-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #17
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same problem... The fix was extending the wheel out about 3/4 way with the seat near its highest.

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
I had the same problem... The fix was extending the wheel out about 3/4 way with the seat near its highest.

Matt.
But here lies the next complication. My SR is now manual and my legs are rather short.

You see, it never ends! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 14-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #19
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Are you getting Leather George ?

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #20
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

GK always starting interesting threads.
I have found the same thing drivers side as you (seat height and the wheel, distance in and out from dash etc).
I have also found the passenger front is very low re leg support. Was even thinking of changing the height (cut the 2 height bolt and replace on an different setting)
Uncle Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2008, 03:31 AM   #21
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
But here lies the next complication. My SR is now manual and my legs are rather short.

You see, it never ends! LOL!

GK
In that case, sorry mate, you're stuffed. :P

I noticed something tonight. I did something I don't normally do, I sat in the front passenger seat. It was extremely uncomfortable. The lumbar support is far too chunky.

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #22
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Yep, but due to the size of my thighs (alright stop laughing everyone!) they hit the wheel when I get in and out of the car.

I guess I have to try to put up with it, but its like I sink further into the seat with the SR.

Also, the wheel in S2-3 cars is thicker than the S1. That adds to the aforementioned thumder thigh issue! LOL!1

I should meet up with Andy and drive his Ghia back to back with my SR to see. That sounds like a good excuse for a coffee and cruise one Saturday morning!

GK
I only foul the steering wheel when I have my wallet in my pocket LOL.

I've never run measurements, but I've always found the steering wheel rim in the AU3 Futura to be thin and hard compared to the AU1 Forte. It seems to have been thinned from the inner edge to give a better view of the instruments... I can always lower it more than the S1.

My S1 wheel is grey, the S3 wheel is black. What colours are yours GK? Maybe the rim thickness is colour-related rather than series-related?
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #23
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
I've never run measurements, but I've always found the steering wheel rim in the AU3 Futura to be thin and hard compared to the AU1 Forte. It seems to have been thinned from the inner edge to give a better view of the instruments... I can always lower it more than the S1.

My S1 wheel is grey, the S3 wheel is black. What colours are yours GK? Maybe the rim thickness is colour-related rather than series-related?
The S2 SR is black, the S1 Futura is Grey!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG