Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
91A
Starter Motor

Default Cruise Control Sticking

The car is an AU2 Futura and has done about 125,000km.

I have had it for two years but it has just developed a problem with the cruise control.

It is very slow in dis-engaging when the footbrake is applied. The speed does not drop and pressing the footbrake pedal a bit harder brings up a cross between a clink and a clunk from the top RHS engine bay and the car then slows. It seems to me that there must be some form of pressure sensor in the brake line that sends the release message to the cruise control.

Is this the case? If so, where do I look for it?

With steering wheel control in use it cancels without any problems.

Please point me in the right direction before I run into someone!

91A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

After reading another thread about fitting cruise control ... I remember there is a sensor on the brake booster for this.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
SE Ute

Are your brake lights working?? I had an EL that the brake light switch (under the pedal) died on, and along with no brake lights, the cruise wouldn't disengage when i pressed the brakes.. Easy fix, was a common prob on the EF/L's i believe, not sure on the AU's if it's the same, mine's still original..
SE Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speaking of brake lights, how many have to be ont working for the cruise to also stop working?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
Speaking of brake lights, how many have to be ont working for the cruise to also stop working?
Anyone? I know this might sound like a stupid question, but I have read on here that if a brake light blows you cruise control doesn't work, and recently I realised 2 had blown and I only had the one left. Now if normally cruise cuts out if one is blown, then I would look into replacing the bulbs with LED's.
Old 13-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
smally289
growing up is optional

Cruise uses the brake light switch to disengage it. It wont matter if any or all of the globes are blown.

To answer the first question, it sounds like the brake light switch is faulty. The reason it disengages when you push the pedal harder is there's a pressure switch on the master cylinder as a fail safe to disengage the cruise if the brake light switch fails. The click / clunk noise is only the cruise actuator releasing, it should make this noise.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 12:11 AM   #7
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There have been previous threads in here (AU falcons) were peoples cruise was not engaging due to blown brakelights.
Old 14-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #8
91A
Starter Motor

Default Cruise Control problem

Whoopee !!

No brake lights. Look in the manual and it says remove connections. They won't come off and I cannot see why bearing in mind it's the middle of the night and dark. There must be a press down tag or something like that.

So - out with the contact spray, wiggle wiggle - nothing so go indoors and kick the cat. Come out again and the spray must of run in the right direction - we have stop lights.

Don't want to wake the neighbourhood so I'll see how it goes re the Cruise control tomorrow.

I'll update this to let all the good helpers know what's going on.

Many thanks so far. Cat now happy.
91A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post