Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Default Restoring cars and the work involved

Hello. If im wanting to restore an older model car and dont want to do the work myself, what is the best way to go about it? As far as the paint and interior go thats pretty easy, but for the mechanical side (say I wanted an engine reconditioning and for the engine itself to be painted and looking schmick, or later model brakes to be put on my car) who do you go to?

Do local mechanics do this sort of thing, or do you have to go to specific car restoration people? For once money isnt such an issue as it used to be and I want it to get done right, not that I want to go too much over the top.

Thanks!

Falcon_Phill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Join a car club. Ask those who have nice cars like you would want yours to be like. Make friends with you local mechanic. Go to car shows and make acquaintances. Ask questions, listen to answers, be nice, and you will find yourself invited into the world of automotive fun.
I would suggest the local engine shop for the reco, and maybe the local auto painter may want to tackle the paint on the block. Do a search on this site for brakes. I would suggest Cebco or Gavsports for brakes.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and save lots and lots of dollars

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post