Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fines for vehicle defects SA

Just thought I'd give the SA members a heads up

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/motori...-1226058563490

So now (from July) if we check our brake lights then one happens to blow down the street we may cop a $120 fine then more to get the sticker off what a joke. They're expecting millions from this so no doubt the cops will be on the prowl

ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: Fines for vehicle defects SA

The biggest load of **** ive ever heard as most ford ppl know the brake light switch on eseries cars blow alot having to pay 120 bucks fine because it decided to **** itself infront of a cop car is utter ********
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

blaa blaa.. carry spare globe......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

What the hell is this country coming to? Words cannot describe the disgust I have for this blatant grab for cash. F in stupid.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
BHDOGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
blaa blaa.. carry spare globe......
And a spare brake light switch? And windscreen wipers? and replacements tyres and new mirrors incase someone hits them when your parked oh yes and all interior lights aswell as dash lights infact just bring a replacement car so no minor defects ever befall u.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the difference now is what?
(Apart from a higher fine)

Blown bulbs is a defect.... the cost of the fine is however over the top.
It also depends on the Cop and your attitude when pulled over.
He can still let you go with a warning...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

There has always been a fine for driving an unroadworthy vehicle in Vic, I would have thought the other states would be the same.

In Vic the police do not often apply the fine as far as I know

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
sudszy
Banned

blah, blah.....geez maybe people will start checking their lights more often, hope the fine for only one working headlight is double.....but motoring enthusiasts prefer people in cars that are unroadworthy?
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Lightbulb Re: Fines for vehicle defects SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
blah, blah.....geez maybe people will start checking their lights more often, hope the fine for only one working headlight is double.....but motoring enthusiasts prefer people in cars that are unroadworthy?
please please please Thankyou.

As above,nothing new just higher fine/revenue,so nothing new
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you see the same cars regularly with one working headlight? You know for sure these owners are aware their front light is out yet go out there way to do nothing about it? Same goes for a blown tail light... How can you honestly think its ok to fine someone who's light could have blown a minute before they got pulled up? Getting pinged for bald tyres, smokey motors, loose items/loads is fair enough but getting pinged for blown globes is a joke
Old 19-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
There has always been a fine for driving an unroadworthy vehicle in Vic, I would have thought the other states would be the same.

In Vic the police do not often apply the fine as far as I know

It is up to the officer to give you the fine. I copped a $300 fine for driving an unroadworthy car about 2 years ago. I had 2 blue number plate lights and my handbrake was not adjusted correctly. It clicked 9 times instead of 5.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Mmmm, I'm regularly having to change over my Gf's tail/brake light globes in her Charade (am still trying to figure out the problem - bloody Korean cars, I thought at first it wasn't earthed correctly, now I think its a current-surge problem) and she really can't afford to cop a big fine like that just because her car blows globes every now and then.

I always check her lights when I'm over/when shes leaving so its not as if she goes for long with the globe busted, and its only ever the left tail light or brake light that goes.

I've been pulled over to look for defects before, the police have always been fairly cool about it all and if you're polite and answer their questions they usually don't give you much trouble... I don't think this increased fine will change things.
Old 19-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
It is up to the officer to give you the fine. I copped a $300 fine for driving an unroadworthy car about 2 years ago. I had 2 blue number plate lights and my handbrake was not adjusted correctly. It clicked 9 times instead of 5.
that deserved three years in G division for the gay blue lights alone.....
Old 19-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
that deserved three years in G division for the gay blue lights alone.....
LOL I agree. I have grown up in the last 2 years.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #15
84xespac
Wearing an armadillo hat

Have to say big deal guys. They have had fines for un roadworthy vehicles everywhere else in the country for years.
Does SA even have rwc yet or is it still like it was 10yrs ago where as long as it had SA plates you could rego without any form of check?
84xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #16
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
Mmmm, I'm regularly having to change over my Gf's tail/brake light globes in her Charade (am still trying to figure out the problem - bloody Korean cars, I thought at first it wasn't earthed correctly, now I think its a current-surge problem) and she really can't afford to cop a big fine like that just because her car blows globes every now and then.

I always check her lights when I'm over/when shes leaving so its not as if she goes for long with the globe busted, and its only ever the left tail light or brake light that goes.

I've been pulled over to look for defects before, the police have always been fairly cool about it all and if you're polite and answer their questions they usually don't give you much trouble... I don't think this increased fine will change things.
pass the attitude test and your on your way..... yer sucks as a cash grab but can only see the odd carry on like an *** hat coppin da $1.20 treatment......
Old 19-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #17
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84xespac
Have to say big deal guys. They have had fines for un roadworthy vehicles everywhere else in the country for years.
Does SA even have rwc yet or is it still like it was 10yrs ago where as long as it had SA plates you could rego without any form of check?
nah still the same.... dodgy as.......
Old 19-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #18
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The only way I could see a copper slapping you with a $120 fine for a busted light globe, is if you give them lip.

The same applies, without the fine. Give them lip and they'll slap a defect on your car for the same thing.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #19
XT_5L
xt time

I can understand the fine for major defects but is it really necessary for a blown globe or wipers. I suppose it's one of those things where if you don't give them a reason to pull you over you shouldn't have to worry. What about blown globes on government cars I've seen a few with blown globes.
XT_5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #20
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
So you see the same cars regularly with one working headlight? You know for sure these owners are aware their front light is out yet go out there way to do nothing about it?
Either way they deserve the fine, if they dont know its out, they shouldnt be on the road and need a fine to wake them up! Of course they know its out, but they drive the pos anyway because they are too lazy to work out how to fix it or will get it seen to next time the car is serviced!!! The car shouldnt move without two working headlights!, its dangerous as! Same as when people connect trailers with the lamps not working, of course they know, but they dont give a stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
How can you honestly think its ok to fine someone who's light could have blown a minute before they got pulled up?
Tough love im afraid, people should be checking their lights on a regular basis, not waiting for plod to tell them they arent working. Really what are the chances that they go one minute before plod is on your tail? I check mine all mine once a week, but really what is so hard to check them on a daily basis. Its up to the driver to make sure of all these things, and do something about them if they arent right before taking off, this hopefully will change behaviour.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #21
Saraco

All I have to say, is that EVERY modified car, will be seen as a cash cow for the SA Government after July 1. What if the cops knowledge of modified car laws are wrong? (They sometimes are!) More hassles trying to get a fine waived!
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #22
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Either way they deserve the fine, if they dont know its out, they shouldnt be on the road and need a fine to wake them up! Of course they know its out, but they drive the pos anyway because they are too lazy to work out how to fix it or will get it seen to next time the car is serviced!!! The car shouldnt move without two working headlights!, its dangerous as! Same as when people connect trailers with the lamps not working, of course they know, but they dont give a stuff.

Don't need headlights during the day and not everyone goes out reguarly at night

Tough love im afraid, people should be checking their lights on a regular basis, not waiting for plod to tell them they arent working. Really what are the chances that they go one minute before plod is on your tail? I check mine all mine once a week, but really what is so hard to check them on a daily basis. Its up to the driver to make sure of all these things, and do something about them if they arent right before taking off, this hopefully will change behaviour.

Any globe can blow at anytime. I check mine reguarly (once a week too) and a copper has pulled me over because my brake lights didn't work. Turned out, the brake light switch shat itself, which is typical problem for later Falcons. (Mine's an EF BTW) Now is my car a POS becuase it happened and I did check them a few days prior

At the end of the day, be polite and good chance the coppers won't fine you, because of a small issue like a globe being blown. It'd be aimed at blantant ignorance, not petty crap

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #23
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quick question: can I get done for having no rear mudflaps?
Old 19-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And he(it) arrives right on cue to participate in the thread.

I could read the title of each thread and point out which ones scuddy will post in, and which ones he wont.

Quote:
Either way they deserve the fine, if they dont know its out, they shouldnt be on the road and need a fine to wake them up! Of course they know its out, but they drive the pos anyway because they are too lazy to work out how to fix it or will get it seen to next time the car is serviced!!! The car shouldnt move without two working headlights!, its dangerous as!
No one should be on the road whos light might happen blow suddenly. How could they do such a terrible, dangerous thing and drive a car when there is a risk a light might blow!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!

If its so dangerous to have a car with 1 head light, why do bikes have 1 head light?

If my headlight goes out Ill just whack on my fog lights. Then Ill basically have 3 headlights!!!!!!
Now ill wait for scudy to tell me that I should be fined $2000 and be jail for 6 months for using fog lights in clear weather.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #25
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
Quick question: can I get done for having no rear mudflaps?

ummm... no.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #26
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
ummm... no.
Ok good, a nugget mate of mine told me I could as I could send rocks flying into the car behind me (like mudflaps will stop that).
I wasn't sure because you can get done for just about anything these days.

"Hey, hey, it's the Goose baby!" *smacks radio microphone against helmet*
Old 20-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #27
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really what are the chances that they go one minute before plod is on your tail?
Probably about the same chance as a tail light/headlight out causing an accident lol and if you still can't see a remaining light lit on the front of a car maybe you should discontinue all your driving after say 5pm
Old 20-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #28
Skotty
Banned

how would you go if you get say a major for too low... go to regency and you're not actually too low, would you still get the $250 fine?
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #29
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The media release states that the SA Gov will receive $7,900,000 in extra revenue in the first 3 years. Its just a blatant money grab and has nothing to do with safety. Just watch what happens the next time we protest about no 1/4 mile venue in SA.
GTB 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #30
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You sir, are one of the biggest enders ive ever come across.

If someone checks their lights and they are all working, then 5 mins down the road a brake light blows, then they turn a corner and a cop pulls them over, then how the **** is it their fault?! You cant predict when a bulb will blow. Idiot.