Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 30-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #3361
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Looks like I still can't go to Adelaide for my yearly holiday to the lovely clean city, but Greece is welcoming me with open arms

https://www.9news.com.au/world/coron...0-a93c714422e5

Surely we should allow cross border travel within our own country before you allow us to fly to the other end of the planet
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 08:54 PM   #3362
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
Well:

Thanks, but the context of my question related to contagiousness not deaths by under 17yo.

You can be a highly contagious school kid, and not die from it.

But...you go to school and bring it home to your parents and grandparents...and that is the problem

and

In the haste to get the covid spreader kids back to school two closures on the same day that kids went back.

Trust me it's safe...real important to get them kids back in child care (aka school) to pay for the next holiday or big plasma tv.

can't afford kids cause you both have to work for that mortgage? wear a friggin' condom or pull out...

Mate...I ask you again where did i say kids are more contagious than adults?

If simply quoting everything i posted is your best shot then mate...you better change your medication cause you are having hallucinations.

Social distancing is impossible in schools, that is the point.

Best if you stop posting till you see your doctor me thinks.
Old 30-05-2020, 10:53 PM   #3363
zilo
BANNED

Finally...the link to how Corona virus jumps from one species to another revealed.

The essential ingredients are stupidity and third world levels of bio-security.

we are all rooted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGNjo6upgo0

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/29/i...cli/index.html
This user likes this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 10:58 PM   #3364
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Looks like I still can't go to Adelaide for my yearly holiday to the lovely clean city, but Greece is welcoming me with open arms

https://www.9news.com.au/world/coron...0-a93c714422e5

Surely we should allow cross border travel within our own country before you allow us to fly to the other end of the planet
Japan and Sicily will apparently pay for part of your holiday so the next few months will be interesting on the travel front.

Greece does sound tempting. Would be hammering down the lamb Yeeros' big time.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 31-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #3365
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

12 new cases for Australia and no deaths so CMR drops to 1.434% and active cases down to 6.6%.

No new cases or deaths for NZ so CMR is unchanged and active cases drop to 0.1% (1).

The UK had just over 1.6k new cases and 215 deaths so the CMR is back down to 14.066%.

Just over 24k new cases in the USA and 1,212 deaths sees CMR down to 5.832% and active cases down to 65.2%.

Other notable points:
Brazil had more than 30k new cases;
The USA completed 17M tests; Turkey 2M and Peru 1M;
Europe passed the 2M case mark;
Asia reached 30k deaths;

Myanmar (17), Nepal (189), Azerbaijan (257), Djibouti (281), Kazakhstan (450), Nigeria (553), Argentina (795), Afghanistan (866), Egypt (1,367), Colombia (1,548), Qatar (2,355), Peru (7,386), India (8,336) and Brazil (30,012) all recorded new daily highs.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 31-05-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 31-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #3366
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Sweden and Switzerland make an interesting case study as they have similar size populations but have adopted opposite strategies for dealing with Coronavirus; the former choosing a herd immunity approach and the latter using a model not dissimilar to ours.

Note: There is a big difference in population density - 219 km2 for Switzerland and 22.2 km 2 for Sweden and there is also a substantial difference in the amount of testing with Switzerland having tested 5593 / 100k while Sweden has only done 2910 / 100k. Both of those factors will obviously impact any comparison.

Having said that, they have not dissimilar case numbers per 100k of population with Sweden having 452 and Switzerland 437 but where they do vary substantially is the deaths per 100k of population with Switzerland almost half the rate of Sweden (27.1 v 53.6) despite the higher population density.

Hypothesis time.

I'd argue that if Sweden had the same level of tests and only identified cases at the same level as Switzerland (12 tests to each positive) then the extra 160k tests would yield another 13k cases and make the case rate per 100k about 50% higher than Sweden. Conversely, it would also make the mortality rates almost identical which not only suggests that those numbers are more realistic but leads to the reasonable conclusion that the 50% higher infection rate is the price paid for taking the herd immunity approach but that mortality rates might still be about the same anyway.

Of course, it's a comparison that is fraught with difficulties so it may offer no more than an indicator.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 31-05-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 31-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #3367
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Hypothesis time.

I'd argue that if Sweden had the same level of tests and only identified cases at the same level as Sweden (12 tests to each positive) then the extra 160k tests would yield another 13k cases and make the case rate per 100k about 50% higher than Sweden.
Is that sentence correct ? I've read it a couple of times and it looks like 1 or more of those swedens should be a switzerland. Apologies if I am incorrect.
Old 31-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #3368
PhilT2

Quote:
difference in the amount of testing with Switzerland having tested 5593 / 100k while Sweden has only done 2910 / 100k. Both of those factors will obviously impact any comparison.

Of course, it's a comparison that is fraught with difficulties so it may offer no more than an indicator.
Sweden has done both testing for current infection and tests for antibodies for those who previously had the virus but are now well. If these two tests are counted together then that distorts the stats when comparing it with a country that has done testing for active infections only.

I think a comparison with the combined figures from Norway and Finland with Sweden gives a better picture and reveals the true figures of how totally unsuccessful the Swedish plan has been. While the epidemic may still have some time to run it is not premature to write off the Swedish strategy. They have not achieved herd immunity and their attempt to isolate the vulnerable failed completely

Bloody volvo drivers..
Old 31-05-2020, 02:08 PM   #3369
superyob
Banned

Plandemic, scamdemic or whatever; public servants now know they can dictate to the masses and they will obey...
Old 31-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #3370
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
Is that sentence correct ? I've read it a couple of times and it looks like 1 or more of those swedens should be a switzerland. Apologies if I am incorrect.
Fixed.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 31-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #3371
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/system...direction/help

Advice on going out, travel, recreation and gathering in Queensland

Quote:
Together Queenslanders have slowed the spread of COVID-19 by staying at home. As a result, the Queensland Government will continue to ease restrictions on travel within Queensland.

From 12pm on 1 June 2020, Queenslanders can travel anywhere in Queensland for any reason, except to Biosecurity Areas or Restricted Areas. There is no limit on distance. You can stay overnight anywhere in Queensland for as many nights as you like.

There are no longer different arrangements between the Outback and metro areas of the state.

From 1 June 2020 12pm (midday), you can:

Have a gathering of up to 20 people in your home or in a public space.
Go on holidays, including camping, with no limit on how far you travel.

Gatherings of up to 20 people means you can:

Play indoor and outdoor non-contact sport, including community and sporting club fixtures
Go to the park, playground or skate park
Attend your gym, health club or yoga studio
Participate in personal training or boot camps
Go for a hike and enjoy other recreational activities in National and State parks
Take part in regular worship and religious ceremonies
Attend a civil service, cultural ceremony or non-denominational service
Wedding guests have increased to 20 people and funeral attendance has increased to 50 mourners, indoors or outdoors.

Easing of restrictions allows for some facilities to reopen for up to 20 people. These facilities must maintain social distancing. Please refer to the Restrictions on Businesses, Activities and Undertakings Direction for a full list of the businesses, activities and undertakings that are allowed from 1 June 2020.

Protecting our most vulnerable

Special visitor rules apply for aged care facilities, hospitals and corrective services facilities.
The Queensland Government has worked with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leadership in remote communities to agree on a three-stage plan to safely ease restrictions in Federal Government-designated biosecurity areas. The Roadmap to easing access restrictions for Queensland’s remote communities, enables designated communities to transition from the current federal emergency biosecurity restrictions to state-based arrangements under Chief Health Officer public health directions.
People with a chronic disease, and First Nations people over 50 with a chronic disease are strongly encouraged to exercise judgement and consider the need to go out.

Remember You must practice social distancing as much as possible and:

Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, and use alcohol-based sanitiser.
Avoid hugs, kisses and handshakes.
Wherever possible keep at least 1.5 metres away, two big steps, from people you don’t live with.
The official Public Health Direction is available here.
https://www.health.qld.gov.au/system...ring-direction

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 01-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #3372
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

It should be noted that the planned easing of restrictions in Victoria has been postponed until at least June 21st.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 01-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #3373
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
It should be noted that the planned easing of restrictions in Victoria has been postponed until at least June 21st.

Our restrictions were due to slightly ease on June 15th... now pushed back to June 30th (with further review mid month).. I think a good thing that our little country’s government is being so proactive with this! (Unlike our northern neighbours!!)
Tourism is this country’s lifeblood, so it ain’t good for the already fragile economy.. But they are determined to keep the numbers low at all cost.
(Personally, ain’t good for us financially with no guests since Feb, but...
Hey! What better place in the world to endure a pandemic then this paradise?)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
2 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #3374
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

10 new cases for Australia and no deaths so CMR drops to 1.432% but active cases rise to 478 (6.6%).

No new cases or deaths for NZ so CMR is unchanged and active cases remain at 0.1% (1).

The UK had just over 1.9k new cases and 113 deaths so the CMR is back down to 14.008%.

Just over 24k new cases in the USA and 1,015 deaths sees CMR down to 5.81% and active cases down to 64.7%.

Other notable points:
The USA dropped below 30% of global cases;
Brazil passes 500k and Russia passes 400k cases;
Asia recorded a new daily high of 29,277 new cases;
South America passed 40k deaths;
Africa CMR (2.85) dropped below that of Asia (2.71);

Kazakhstan (476), Bahrain (605), Bolivia (861), Oman (1,014), Egypt (1,536), Bangladesh (2,545), Pakistan (3,039), Peru (8,805) and India (8,782) all recorded new daily highs.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 01-06-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #3375
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

For those who believe that the worst is behind us, in a global sense that is far from true.

The global new case rates have been trending upward and this last week contained five of the ten highest daily tallies we've seen thus far. This is due, in part, to the increasing case numbers in Africa which has recorded highest totals over the last five days but also South America and Asia which have both recorded their two highest totals in the last week.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2020, 06:37 PM   #3376
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

I sincerely hope, once the Australian borders open, all those people planning to travel overseas on holiday, think again.

We need to do everything we can, as Australians to recover, and boost our economy. Travelling within Australia will go a long way in helping our tourist industry recover, and in turn helping our own economy. Keep the money in Australia.

Not long ago there were cries of 'boycott China'. Well, for the next couple of years at least, we need to not only boycott China, but every other country as a holiday spot.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #3377
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
I sincerely hope, once the Australian borders open, all those people planning to travel overseas on holiday, think again.

We need to do everything we can, as Australians to recover, and boost our economy. Travelling within Australia will go a long way in helping our tourist industry recover, and in turn helping our own economy. Keep the money in Australia.

Not long ago there were cries of 'boycott China'. Well, for the next couple of years at least, we need to not only boycott China, but every other country as a holiday spot.
I won't be...I find most aussie tourism to be a rip off..
(especially Queensland.)
Flying in Australia is a humiliating process with the likes of Jetstar and all the airport bull crap.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:55 PM   #3378
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

People will inevitably want to go overseas as soon as they can. Hopefully we can see a boom in domestic tourism to help us recover in the short term.

QLD would probably see heaps of tourists if it opens the borders since it is much nicer in winter then freezing your **** off down here
Old 01-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #3379
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
QLD would probably see heaps of tourists if it opens the borders since it is much nicer in winter then freezing your **** off down here
Can't see Australia's borders opening this winter for international tourists. September would probably be the earliest.

Then again, QLD is the Chinese favoured destination. So QLD government being so eager would probably lobby the government to open the borders asap. What could be worse than Chinese tourists coming to Australia in the middle of winter and catching a flu??
Old 01-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #3380
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can't see Australia's borders opening this winter for international tourists. September would probably be the earliest.

Then again, QLD is the Chinese favoured destination. So QLD government being so eager would probably lobby the government to open the borders asap. What could be worse than Chinese tourists coming to Australia in the middle of winter and catching a flu??
I meant opening the domestic border. They are not wanting to open their own border within Australia so no way they intend to open to international tourists.

No way our international borders will be open for a long time.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2020, 10:58 PM   #3381
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I meant opening the domestic border. They are not wanting to open their own border within Australia so no way they intend to open to international tourists.

No way our international borders will be open for a long time.

Unbelievably the Hobart Airport management were well in negotiations with China Air with cheap runway charges to entice them to make Hobart the gateway for Chinese tourists.

Can you imagine what the number of Covid hotspots there would be if this happened just 6 months later?
Old 01-06-2020, 11:07 PM   #3382
PhilT2

Qld health have confirmed further tests show that the 30 year old miner from Blackwater did not have the carona virus before he died last week. The true cause of death is yet to be confirmed.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...topsy/12307546
Old 02-06-2020, 12:27 AM   #3383
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
Qld health have confirmed further tests show that the 30 year old miner from Blackwater did not have the carona virus before he died last week. The true cause of death is yet to be confirmed.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...topsy/12307546
Enough to make a Cynic wonder how many other False Positives there has been...
4 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2020, 07:00 AM   #3384
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Oh dear.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...d5e7306dbf4780
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2020, 07:20 AM   #3385
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Enough to make a Cynic wonder how many other False Positives there has been...
The poor fella had cancer FFS. RIP and howt he heck that gets caught up with CV19 who knows. Perhaps QLD gov still trying to justify keeping the place shut.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2020, 07:27 AM   #3386
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I felt it was insinuated by a number of the initial reports on his death, that he’d contracted the virus by some less-than-honourable means. Either playing the field behind his partner’s back or pursuit of illegal substances.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:35 AM   #3387
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
The poor fella had cancer FFS. RIP and howt he heck that gets caught up with CV19 who knows. Perhaps QLD gov still trying to justify keeping the place shut.
Rumours around here were sceptical when the virus' outbreak was reported in Blackwater and some suggested it was maybe a push to give weight to the govmint's continued lockdown.

Will we find out the true story?

Oh, and you know that nurse from Rocky that has been travelling all over the countryside infecting every man and his dog in the pursuit of the perfect sunset?

It seems she drove to Minneapolis and infected that big black bloke as well. No this is true. They have conducted two autopsies so far and each has come up with a different cause of death. I'm sure if they conduct another autopsy it will reveal that it was the Rocky nurse's fault. If they fail to carry out the third autopsy it is because they want to hide the real truth - that's what we want - truth over facts, or was that facts over truth?
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2020, 09:05 AM   #3388
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Rumours around here were sceptical when the virus' outbreak was reported in Blackwater and some suggested it was maybe a push to give weight to the govmint's continued lockdown.

Will we find out the true story?
The first lot of test kits produced by the CDC in the US were defective and there have been plenty of stories of other dud test kits coming out of China as well. All produced in a rush to make a quick dollar. There will have been false positives and false negatives

Never suspect conspiracy when incompetence explains things better.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #3389
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard on the radio this morning they're planning to organise a 'thankyou' concert to our 'frontline' health workers.

Ummmm, not wanting to troll, but thankyou for what exactly? Let's face it, this hasn't come close to stretching resources in Australia. The max number of ICU patients statewide in NSW was only 43 at any one time.

Surely if we're going to be thanking anyone, it will be the lab workers doing covid-19 testing who have processed nearly 1.5 million samples so far?
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #3390
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Heard on the radio this morning they're planning to organise a 'thankyou' concert to our 'frontline' health workers.

Ummmm, not wanting to troll, but thankyou for what exactly? Let's face it, this hasn't come close to stretching resources in Australia. The max number of ICU patients statewide in NSW was only 43 at any one time.

Surely if we're going to be thanking anyone, it will be the lab workers doing covid-19 testing who have processed nearly 1.5 million samples so far?
Yeah fine line between people just doing their job and expecting them to work in adverse conditions.

I thought a little bonus at tax time might be nice, but thats about it.

God forbid we go to war one day....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
4 users like this post:
Closed Thread