Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down hsv vs fpv prices? wtf?

how come FPV has absolutely no prices for any of their product whatsoever on their website, but HSV has rrp on the second page? how's one supposed to compare prices to see what value is there?

even fpv options in 'build your fpv' are not specified. it just says to contact your fpv dealer.

Old 24-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Are you actually going to lay down coin?

Go onto carssales and see what dealers are charging (I think in the research section), or god forbid actually see a FPV dealer and talk options and configuration and see what you can do.

No one should pay RRP, and if you do thats just being lazy as a dealer will help you to a certain extent.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably because they want you to contact the dealer or go to a showroom to discuss...

RRP is almost irrelevant now..

Old 24-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv.com.au
"Due to recent changes to legislation, vehicle pricing is not available on the FPV website"
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Scott

HSV site says the same when I click it too. It's because they now have to advertise an "all inclusive price" which they are not prepared to do through differing costs in different states/regions.

http://www.hsv.com.au/hsv/showroom/d...ID=clubsportR8
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
they say the same on the jeep website now too, due to laws in QLD stating you must show drive away price, and the fact they are national websites they must comply with that.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the actual reason FPV haven't got prices up, is because the ACCC made all car makers show full on road cost including each states additional charges, when people configure there spec of car off the manufactures website.

Thats why when you finish spec'ing the car is asks you either for your contact details or what you postcode is for you closest dealer, so they can give you a price. (Or I could be totally wrong)

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFutura
I think the actual reason FPV haven't got prices up, is because the ACCC made all car makers show full on road cost including each states additional charges, when people configure there spec of car off the manufactures website.

Thats why when you finish spec'ing the car is asks you either for your contact details or what you postcode is for you closest dealer, so they can give you a price. (Or I could be totally wrong)
That's also my recollection. Regulations came through not that long ago. I recall going to Ford a few months back and seeing something along those lines and unable to configure a car spec until it came into force.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

This is true...

Old 24-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

I went to VW site yesterday and if you put in post code it gives the price and it did vary state to state.
Old 24-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Are you actually going to lay down coin?

Go onto carssales and see what dealers are charging (I think in the research section), or god forbid actually see a FPV dealer and talk options and configuration and see what you can do.

No one should pay RRP, and if you do thats just being lazy as a dealer will help you to a certain extent.
So a customer has to lay down coin to find out the RRP?

In this day and age, E-Commerce is KING, and so is convenience.

I for one will usually quit out of a commercial website that isn't up front with it's costs, and search for another site that does advertise their costs.

If they are not willing to be up front with me by advertising their competitiveness (in terms of $$), then i dont trust them to have my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
I went to VW site yesterday and if you put in post code it gives the price and it did vary state to state.
This is a prime example of a company using modern e-commerce technology and simple business processes to best effect to give the customer the information they need to purchase a VW product; all at their fingertips and from the comfort of their home.

EDIT: and besides...it's not safe to go outside in Perth at the moment
Old 24-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

They used to have a complete configurator but a (stupid) new law has prevented them from continuing with it. It's the same with the Ford site, they used to have a "Build and price" section where you could build an FG and price it, but now the pricing element has been removed. Personally I think it's a step backwards.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I beleive that the law has been altered again and some manufacturers are adopting a new software which can price according to your state.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Law are laws, yes it's nice to shop online and compare prices if you're spending $100 but I think someone seriously looking at a Hsv or Fpv will take the time to visit a showroom and atleast talk to a salesman...

Old 24-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thats right, if your spending in excess of $60k for a car, not some electronic gizmo then your are much better off seeing people; otherwise your just tyre kicking.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #16
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

well said. the ACCC (AKA the federal Govt) decreed that all prices must be drive away including stamps TAC and actual reg. Almost impossible as owing to in vic alone we have 3 different TAC rates rural metro and in between. add to that pensioner and other concessions and its takes a complex matrix to get it right.

While the RRP was just that 'recommended' at least it gave you a start point to haggle from or compare within a model range. As far as I know, no manufacturer now gives out pricing on the web.

Congrats ACCC you have made a 90% product into a 0% product. Like grocery watch and school watch and all the other great ideas. Hopefully they reverse this decision so the consumer can at least get a price guide.

Thanks Ruddy for protecting us.
Old 24-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #17
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
how come FPV has absolutely no prices for any of their product whatsoever on their website, but HSV has rrp on the second page? how's one supposed to compare prices to see what value is there?

even fpv options in 'build your fpv' are not specified. it just says to contact your fpv dealer.
This is quite simple,

Go here;
http://www.fleetplus.com.au/products...novated_leases

Click on 'Novated Lease Calculator'

You get this;
https://fleetplus.catch-e.net.au/cli..._gb_browser=IE

Click on 'Vehicle Search'.

You can then pick whatever vehicle that you want. The page will also show all option pricing giving a final 'vehicle cost'.

For example, an FPV GT base price is $67,890
Add body stripes - $840
Add hood decal - $296
Add FPV floor mats - $296
Add leather trim - $2,962

Which gives a total of $72,285. You would then have to find out your own states stamp duty and license cost.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #18
cycle myth

IMHO these laws have made buying a car more difficult.

The troubling thing is that some brands do have the confidence to quote prices and others not.

For me, if I was to put down serious money (not a $100 electronic thingy) - I would like to have the confidence in knowing RRP's.

And like so many others would 1) don't want to have to go to a dealership to research it and 2) don't want to be harassed by a dealer.

In the end no real winners - but some brands are serious about selling cars and are trying to give the confidence of a state based figure.

I guess that means FPV just isn't that serious.......
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Law are laws, yes it's nice to shop online and compare prices if you're spending $100 but I think someone seriously looking at a Hsv or Fpv will take the time to visit a showroom and atleast talk to a salesman...
Well that is not really true.

I used to run through all the pricing options of competing vehicles just to see what things cost and what was available.

The problems with dealerships are:

a) Not many of the sales people actually have much of an idea at all about their product range. e.g. How much extra is 6 pot brembos on a GT? No that is the GT-P and they are overpriced.

b) They are more interested in selling you what they have there on the floor and have been known to actually lie to make a sale (shock horror)

c) If they think you are going to buy they drive you nuts with phone calls.

d) If you are not sure about what you want they get bored very quickly when you want to compare, for example, G6ET/XR6T/XR8/GS/GT/F6 in a bang for buck face off.

The ACCC like, most public vegetables, naively made a law to stop the $19.95 air fare scam and ended up stuffing up many more things.

There was a time once when if a senior public vegetable made a huge error he was stripped of his position and put on "gardening leave".

Now they get promoted.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

I used to run through all the pricing options of competing vehicles just to see what things cost and what was available.

a) Not many of the sales people actually have much of an idea at all about their product range. e.g. How much extra is 6 pot brembos on a GT? No that is the GT-P and they are overpriced.

b) They are more interested in selling you what they have there on the floor and have been known to actually lie to make a sale (shock horror)

d) If you are not sure about what you want they get bored very quickly when you want to compare, for example, G6ET/XR6T/XR8/GS/GT/F6 in a bang for buck face off.

The ACCC like, most public vegetables, naively made a law to stop the $19.95 air fare scam and ended up stuffing up many more things.

There was a time once when if a senior public vegetable made a huge error he was stripped of his position and put on "gardening leave".

you make some compelling points!

Old 24-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Agreed, I would be quite happy if I could do my own spec research as well as price comparison instead of talking to some numpty that works with Ford this week, mitsubishi last week and will move to Holden next week, therefore knows jack about the product, makes rediculous statements and is not interested unless I am ready to sign the deal that day. Then if I am stupid and give him my name and phone number he will call me relentlessly until I have to take out a restraining order.

I would prefer to do my own research, get RRP and on roads for my state, and then talk with said numpty when I am pretty close to sure he has what I want. I would have thought that would be easier than said numpty.
Old 24-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #22
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
you make some compelling points!

He slips up every once in a while and makes sense :

Do you think he has something against vegetables? He compares them to public servants, quite insulting to vegetables if you ask me.
Old 25-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #23
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Silly thing is whatever database Carsales etc get their pricing from in the new car comparison/research sections doesn't have the FPV models correct - gives you the GT price for GT-P and GT-E. (well it did a while back when I looked at it)
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #24
BOSHOG
avenge me

going into a dealer doesnt always make sence, some people live in rural areas and need to compare prices before driving for hours just to get stuffed around by some arrogant car salesman, as most are
Old 25-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #25
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle

Because in the end there are very few people left who want to step inside a Ford dealer and experience that unique take on "customer service" that is the Ford dealer network.

This is one of the few ways left they have to entice us through the door.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Silly thing is whatever database Carsales etc get their pricing from in the new car comparison/research sections doesn't have the FPV models correct - gives you the GT price for GT-P and GT-E. (well it did a while back when I looked at it)
Carsales do not actually sell cars so they are are exempt.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #27
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
So a customer has to lay down coin to find out the RRP?

In this day and age, E-Commerce is KING, and so is convenience.

I for one will usually quit out of a commercial website that isn't up front with it's costs, and search for another site that does advertise their costs.

If they are not willing to be up front with me by advertising their competitiveness (in terms of $$), then i dont trust them to have my business.

This is a prime example of a company using modern e-commerce technology and simple business processes to best effect to give the customer the information they need to purchase a VW product; all at their fingertips and from the comfort of their home.

EDIT: and besides...it's not safe to go outside in Perth at the moment
I guess you have it all figured out aye?

It's not e-commerce, that term faded with the 90's anyway... If you are not prepared to go in and look at, sit in and test drive a car. But instead prefer to just look dollars online, you will never find a dealer that you will be happy with.
More than ever, despite the technology available, nothing beats going in and negotiating the numbers after you have selected the car, the options and accessories, and going on a test drive.

And this is after you have done your research online. We as enthusiasts, are the ones that should be putting our bums in the seats.. That is the market we are.
that is unless you are buying a Corolla or similar...
No I am not a salesmen either.. Not anymore anyway.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #28
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
I guess you have it all figured out aye?

It's not e-commerce, that term faded with the 90's anyway... If you are not prepared to go in and look at, sit in and test drive a car. But instead prefer to just look dollars online, you will never find a dealer that you will be happy with.
More than ever, despite the technology available, nothing beats going in and negotiating the numbers after you have selected the car, the options and accessories, and going on a test drive.

And this is after you have done your research online. We as enthusiasts, are the ones that should be putting our bums in the seats.. That is the market we are.
that is unless you are buying a Corolla or similar...
No I am not a salesmen either.. Not anymore anyway.

Sorry mate, have to disagree with you here. I have better things to do with my limited days off than go to car yards, listen to some guy crap on about a car he knows little about just so I can find out what it is worth retail on road.

I would much prefer I know all that info and know that I am seriously interested in it before I go and test drive and talk money. Saves me time (which I do not have much as I work shifts) and saves the salesman time too.

Stops my phone ringing all the time too!

Maybe the game has changed a bit since you gave it away but the average car sales rep knows squat about the product. I do not know how many times I have heard "I am not sure, I have only been here a few weeks, I was at Brand X before here, but I love these cars and they are the best on the market by far". That is until he moves on to Brand Y next month and then they are the best brand.
Old 26-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #29
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

IMO if your sales rep knows little about the car then your dealing with the wrong person/dealership.

Yes some people are limited by geography, but again, if I was spending $60k+ of my hard earned id be making more of an effort.

Your better off finding someone who is knowledgeable because no doubt you will be visiting them come service and warranty time.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #30
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
IMO if your sales rep knows little about the car then your dealing with the wrong person/dealership.

Yes some people are limited by geography, but again, if I was spending $60k+ of my hard earned id be making more of an effort.

Your better off finding someone who is knowledgeable because no doubt you will be visiting them come service and warranty time.
In my experience, good luck finding one around here.