Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
fairBA
Banned

Default Fuel Prices

Just before everyone starts blaming the holidays for high fuel prices, have a read at the 'real' reason - (then blame the holidays)

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/busi...411-1dasn.html

fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Fuel Prices

Any excuse
Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thieves
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

lols, petrol
Old 11-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

When you think about it, is fuel really that expensive?

Compare it to the price of spirits or smokes.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo

Exactly, i get sick of the monthly fuel prices thread. Gotta have it stop whinging if you cant afford the fuel you cant afford the car
Old 11-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Petrol is nearly $3 a litre in Ireland...maybe my ancestors had more forethought in leaving than I realise...not complaining.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

many people can't do the maths and think they are getting a massive saving when they notice a servo 6cpl cheaper than the one up the road. the amount of times you see cars banked up in a servo because they are a few cents cheaper.... on average thats about $3 a tank. if you assume many people don't fill their tanks but just put $20 in (example) then they are queuing up for a massive saving aren't they.

ultimate is always about 10-15cpl dearer but i'm happy to spend that $10 extra.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

This is why im going to chuck in a deisel and run on vege oil for free or very cheap.
I dont think LPG on a carby motor is very safe?

But for now, premo is fine with me.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do get sick of the crap they keep spewing out. They dont even try to hide the fakeness of their excuses anymore. They are "worried" about it and there is "potential" for disruption to supply. Not that there IS any disruption to supply at all, just that they are worried.
Next they will say they are "worried" about too many oil riggers taking sickies on the same shift so due to the "potential" for supply disruption, better put the price up.
Does this mean that all other oil producing nations are producing at maximum levels already, and therefore cant cover any supply problems from Libya - c'mon.
But the fact remains, if I rely on their product and whatever price they say, guess I better suck it up.
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Like petrol they're heavily taxed.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don't smoke and I only drink very limited amount of spirits a year.

Yeah petrol is not that expensive, but It should be much cheaper if it wasn't taxed so much.

Less then 1.30 for E10 and I am happy.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If you want the tax on petrol to come down, start smoking more, drinking more alcohol and get lots of minor speeding fines from speed cameras, then maybe the tax might come down.

The only "tax" on petrol is GST, the others are excises ;)

The best ones is when someone goes into the petrol station, OH MY GOD ITS $X A LITRE!!!!!

PROFITEERING! THE OIL COMPANY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SKY FALLING!

Then they go and buy a 600ml bottle of coke for like $5 to get "4 cents a litre off INSTANTLY!". Even though it doesn't save you $5 on the tank of fuel.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
The only "tax" on petrol is GST, the others are excises ;)

I guess the carbon tax would have gone down better if they called it an excise then.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
lols, petrol

gotta love gas
Old 11-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I guess the carbon tax would have gone down better if they called it an excise then.
I'm pretty sure that was the reason the government gave for having +10% GST ON TOP of the how many cents per litre excise on fuel.

But thats Politics and I don't have anything to do with that.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #17
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

I'm beginning to think its time to convert to LPG (I know it'd be easier to buy a car thats already on LPG).
My mother's car (VS commodore) is on gas and it works really well, my brother had a Fairlane many moons ago (equivelant model to XF) and it was alright on gas, then he had an EB on gas that had done about 450,000km on it...
His current BAII ute doesn't have it but he's a tradie so he gets something like 70-80% rebate on his fuel IIRC.
It seems like a good idea to me.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #18
BHDOGS
Banned

what i understand Saudi Arabia upped its oil supply to compensate for the loss of libyas oil like the same week it happened Libya barley supply any oil at all and most of it was to Europe anyway.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #19
prydey
Rob

often, people who whinge about fuel, are the same ones who have no trouble justifying the latest 60inch lcd, or the latest phone on a $100+/month plan etc etc.

obviously thats a very general statement and not directed at anyone on here.

i just don't get the whole whinge about price thing. its just another bill really.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
what i understand Saudi Arabia upped its oil supply to compensate for the loss of libyas oil like the same week it happened Libya barley supply any oil at all and most of it was to Europe anyway.
When you examine the base oil price at just a few cents , even with tax excise and profit after refining some one is making a great deal of money on market specualtion , petrol costs less than 50% of the pump price but of course the tax/excise is a government advantage that they wont reduce being in the billions
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Exactly, i get sick of the monthly fuel prices thread. Gotta have it stop whinging if you cant afford the fuel you cant afford the car
I see your point but then around here you have the situation that if you decide to get a smaller fuel efficient car due to the running costs, people criticise your choice because you are getting a "hairdressers car". How do you win? Personally, the typhoon is going and a more fuel efficient car is coming, sick of spending $100 a week fueling one car. That is what is killing the Aussie large car market.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Pardon my complete ignorance to this....

But - how does "The potential threats to oil supplies from the Middle East and North Africa remains the key driver of near term prices."

Perhaps I'm being a little simplistic - but there has been a war going on in the middle east since... well... as long as I can remember...
So - if there are 'threats' to the oil supplies... then take out the threats?? The Americans have spent trillions of dollars on the war(s) in the middle east... They can't take care of these threats???

And - I can't recall many suicide bombings taking place at oil drilling sites... or for that matter.... i've never heard of the ships carrying the crude being sunk...

Those who are drilling for crude oil... do they just jack the prices up for the fun of it?? Or why can't the refineries who buy and refine the crude then call their bluff.... stop buying the crude for a month... and see what happens to the prices then??

If this was a general product in the domestic market - it would have a completely different outcome...

SO - i'm confused...

ALSO - lets say for instance that you use 60 litres of petrol a week and pay $1.50 a litre ($90.00) It costs you $4680.00 a year to fuel the car...

Again simplistic... Go and buy a car that is $5000.00 cheaper than you planned... and you don't have a problem... ie: You're looking and committed to spend $40,000 on a car??? Well spend $35,000 and don't complain about the petrol all year!!! Sure - you've got the future to worry about... but your first year of petrol is paid for (as you were already going to spend $40,000) and this will give you a head start on saving...

OR - buy a pushbike...
Either way...
Old 12-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #23
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Or buy a car that fulfills you needs and costs half as much in fuel for the 4 years you plan to own it. That $10k saving in fuel over the 4 years means you can buy the car with more features and creature comforts and you can enjoy it more than you would a lower spec car.

By the way, if you can work out a way to sort out the middle east, you will be very wealthy, no one else can.

Perhaps a little simplistic.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #24
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
And - I can't recall many suicide bombings taking place at oil drilling sites... or for that matter.... i've never heard of the ships carrying the crude being sunk...

Nobody wants to be the terrorist that blows up a gen set or 2 man donga.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #25
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGT
Or buy a car that fulfills you needs and costs half as much in fuel for the 4 years you plan to own it. That $10k saving in fuel over the 4 years means you can buy the car with more features and creature comforts and you can enjoy it more than you would a lower spec car.
Go the EcoLPi Falcon mid year!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I see your point but then around here you have the situation that if you decide to get a smaller fuel efficient car due to the running costs, people criticise your choice because you are getting a "hairdressers car". How do you win? Personally, the typhoon is going and a more fuel efficient car is coming, sick of spending $100 a week fueling one car. That is what is killing the Aussie large car market.
Yeah spot on Lynton, although i couldnt really care what people think of my hairdresser's car really (Im sure you and many others are the same). The choice was simple when buying my XR5, do i want to work to pay for a car? Answer was no so the Focus won out.
Ill never buy another Aussie car again anyway.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #27
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The only "tax" on petrol is GST, the others are excises
What do you think an excise is. Just another way of saying TAX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
No, they are going to take it very easy on us all and make it a levy instead.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
No, they are going to take it very easy on us all and make it a levy instead.
Oh well that's ok then as Damo says its not a tax unless they use the word tax
Old 12-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #29
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Go the EcoLPi Falcon mid year!
Unfortunately that fulfills none of my criteria so fuel efficient or not, it is not in the running.

The only way for me to get the fuel efficiency that I want (for example < 8L/100km), great handling in the twisty roads that don't require illegal speeds to have fun and have a lot of creature comforts, I have to downsize the car.

The choice is made after searching through everything that is available, now just working on the finance side of things.

I remember not too long ago someone predicted ULP at $1.50/L by the end of this year, today I saw it at that price. Now the prediction is $2/L by the year end. Lets say the fuel goes up just $0.50 per year over the next 4 years, that equates to $6250, $7812, $9375 and then $10937 for each consecutive year. Plus there are more costs such as more expensive tyres, rego, insurance etc.

It is a very large reason to give the large cars the flick when I can pay half those fuel costs with a smaller car.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #30
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Doesn't explain why people in Maitland are paying on average up to 20c more a litre more than those 15 minutes away in Newcastle. Truth is we're subsudising cheap milk.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post