Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Default RoyalPurple get caught out.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...mW6PM,b1M25KBS

Quote:
Royal Purple Ltd. was black and blue after BP Lubricants USA took it totask over advertising claims for its synthetic motor oil, finding areceptive audience in the advertising industry's self-regulatory forum.

The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better BusinessBureaus recommended Porter, Texas-based Royal Purple modify ordiscontinue numerous advertising claims for its synthetic motor oil,following a challenge by Wayne, N.J.-based BP Lubricants. The NADexamined comparative performance and superiority claims in print,broadcast and Internet advertising. In some of the advertising, RoyalPurple compared its performance to Castrol, Shell, Amsoil and othermotor oil brands.

NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue its use of consumertestimonials reporting specific performance attributes in the absenceof reliable independent evidence showing performance capability.

"Anecdotal evidence based solely on the experiences of individualconsumers is insufficient to support product efficacy claims, includingclaims related to horsepower, torque, fuel economy or engine heat," theorganization stated. "While the advertiser may quote from publishedarticles if it provides clear and conspicuous attribution to thepublisher, it may not rely on such articles to support efficacy claimsfor which it has no reliable independent validation."

NAD recommended Royal Purple discontinue claims such as "Increaseshorsepower and torque by as much as 3 percent," "Reduces Engine Wear by80 percent," "Superior Oxidation Stability" and "Provides Film StrengthUp to 400 Percent."

"If industry-standard tests or tests with carefully documented controlswere abandoned, there would be no basis whatsoever for making anymeaningful claims about the relative efficacy of motor oils," BP saidin its challenge.

NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue claims that stated,"Improves fuel economy by as much as 5 percent" and "Fuel economyimprovement up to 5 percent or more" because its EnvironmentalProtection Agency testing was inconclusive and the "Oklahoma StateStudy" and single cylinder Labeco CLR diesel engine testing cited inRoyal Purple's advertising was not relevant. The NAD noted the 1997 OSUStudy was "outdated and nothing in the record demonstrated that theformulations of the competitors' oils were similar to those availablefor sale on the market today."

BP Lubricants said it hired the independent laboratory SouthwestResearch Institute, in San Antonio, to analyze power output of gasolineengines with Royal Purple Oil and with BP's Castrol oil forcomparisons. "The results were provided to the challenger's expertstatistician who was not informed of the identity of the candidateoils," NAD stated. "The challenger's [BP's] expert determined a 0.9percent difference in power between the oils, which did not rise to thelevel of statistical significance, and is well below the 3 percentclaim made by the advertiser."

SwRI did additional tests to independently determine the differences infuel economy, emissions data and engine temperature between RoyalPurple and Castrol motor oils. According to SwRI, "there was nostatistically significant difference between the fuel economy,emissions data or engine temperature between the two candidate oils,"NAD said.

Following its review of the non-anecdotal evidence in the record, NADrecommended that Royal Purple discontinue the claims, "Reducesemissions up to 20 percent or more" and "Reductions in emissions of 20percent or more" because the studies on which the claims were basedwere outdated and not consumer-relevant.

NAD also recommended the advertiser discontinue its unsupported claimthat Royal purple motor oil is "API/ILSAC Certified." Noting that APIand ILSAC licenses and certifications have many categories withdifferent meanings, the NAD recommended that the company discontinueits claim that its synthetic oils are "generally 'API/ILSAC Certified.'"

In fact, no Royal Purple products are certified to current ILSAC specifications.

The American Petroleum Institute licenses its trademarked ServiceSymbol, or 'donut,' for display on qualified engine oils, and alsolicenses the ILSAC 'starburst' logo for oils that meet the autoindustry's latest energy-conserving standards. In API's onlinedirectory of licensees for its Engine Oil Licensing and CertificationProgram, Royal Purple has a total of 23 passenger car and diesel engineoil products listed, all licensed to use the API donut. Five of thesemay additionally display the words 'energy conserving' within the donutlogo, but none of the Royal Purple products are licensable to thecurrent ILSAC GF-4 specification and they cannot display the starburstlogo.

Royal Purple also voluntarily agreed to discontinue the claims, "mostadvanced," "unsurpassed performance" and "unparalleled performance,"steps the NAD said were necessary and proper to avoid confusion in themarketplace.

"While Royal Purple also believes that the tests and testimonials itsupplied as evidence accurately portray the benefits of using itssynthetic oil in a wide variety of applications, it defers to the NAD'sposition that those tests and testimonials alone are insufficient tosupport specific performance attribute claims in consumer advertising,"the company said in its response to NAD. "... [Royal Purple] hasalready made changes to its advertising in accordance with the NADrecommendations and will continue to implement NAD's recommendationsand analysis in developing Royal Purple's future advertising."

BP Lubricants did not return phone calls from Lube Report requesting comment on NAD's decision.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems that they got pwned.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive never believed their BS, think this is a repost though...

Last edited by 4Vman; 01-10-2009 at 10:59 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I do believe that this is a repost.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe now they'l lower their price...
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Sorry for it being a repost.

I guess what they say is true...."Oils ain't oils."

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
burnz
VFII SS UTE

they never meet the API rating did they????

Last edited by burnz; 01-10-2009 at 11:25 AM.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

now all the ls1 girls will be peed off!
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:15 AM   #9
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool. Another group of capitalist scumbags to boycott!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Cool. Another group of capitalist scumbags to boycott!
Some of your posts really do worry me a little.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
LOL..

Old 02-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Haha.

Isn't the testing technique they use for grease and not oil =S

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
haha... i was thinkin the same thing...

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Suffer in ya jocks purple people..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
Fantome

Note to self: Next time check forums BEFORE buying oil.
What really p'd me off is that I paid $14.99 for 5 lt of el cheapo oil for the old diesel ute and got a service sticker for windscreen so I don't forget when its next due. Royal Purple $99 for 5 lt and nada
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just had this stuff put in my WRX at my last service. Wasn't cheap either over $100.

If my car blows up then obviously Castrol and Mobil are better :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post