Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2020, 08:09 AM   #91
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: V8 ranger raptor

Have you seen how light the F150s are? They are aluminiun now and are pretty close to Ranger weight.

Just noticed they list the F150 they tested as 2400kg.
Ranger Raptor is 2330kg.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #92
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I've noticed that that a larger capacity atmo engine generally gives better economy when
towing than an Ecoboost engine which needs part throttle enrichment to avoid detonation.

Also, if Ford put an Ecoboost into a really heavy truck like a Super Duty, it would be
constantly under part throttle fuel enrichment and using a lot more fuel than a large V8.

A petrol V8 towing anything is always going to use plenty of fuel but with enough
basic capacity like say, a 5.0 litre may be enough to keep it away from rich mixtures
and mitigate the hit on fuel economy like the large Ram Gasoline Pick ups.

Last edited by jpd80; 05-01-2020 at 12:10 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #93
Whistlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Have you seen how light the F150s are? They are aluminiun now and are pretty close to Ranger weight.

Just noticed they list the F150 they tested as 2400kg.
Ranger Raptor is 2330kg.
So basically what you're saying is I should get my facts right.
Whistlr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #94
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Facts are the V8 Ranger will be good for at least low 14s, depending on what spec engine they use.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #95
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Facts are the V8 Ranger will be good for at least low 14s, depending on what spec engine they use.
If it has the same engine as Mustang, which can run high 11's, it would be quicker than 14's for sure.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #96
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
A question. I the current motor in a Mustang a 'coyote'? or is it different and if so, is it smaller, lighter etc.
Thanking those with any knowledge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Uuvj_Uz9o

I am not sure if anyone knows the answer or the question is beneath some, but is the current motor in a Mustang a 'coyote'? or is it different and if so, is it smaller, lighter etc than the engine that was used in the attached video of the Ranger V8 conversion.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #97
Whistlr

Yes, Mustang has 3rd generation Coyote.
The Miami is a locally engineered blown version of the Coyote, and is sometimes referred to as the Coyote. Considering the engineering behind it it should be distinguished by using the Miami name.
Whistlr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:37 PM   #98
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Uuvj_Uz9o

I am not sure if anyone knows the answer or the question is beneath some, but is the current motor in a Mustang a 'coyote'? or is it different and if so, is it smaller, lighter etc than the engine that was used in the attached video of the Ranger V8 conversion.

Will be lighter as it doesn’t have a supercharger sitting on top of it. Size wise it’s much the same.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2020, 10:50 PM   #99
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Ford Ranger Raptor V8 coming
But high-output dual-cab 4x4 ute will be expensive and limited in numbers

If you’re salivating at the prospect of a V8-powered Ford Ranger Raptor then be prepared to get in quick and spend big.

News of the Raptor V8 broke in Wheels magazine last week and we understand that if it does get the green light from Ford Australia, the first V8-powered Ranger will be an Australian-engineered limited-edition.

So that means big bucks and small production numbers.

How big? Well, the standard 157kW/500Nm 2.0-litre turbo-diesel Ford Ranger Raptor costs $76,290 plus ORCs. Retrofitting the Mustang GT’s 339kW Coyote V8 into its engine bay – yes folks, it does fit – locally would surely drive pricing north of $100K!

That would set a new pricing benchmark for a ‘one-tonne’ mid-size 4x4 ute, as well an incredible new performance benchmark for the class that would well and truly address the primary criticism of the diesel Raptor – it’s slow in a straight line.

In addition, there would be no Outback track the Ford Ranger Raptor V8 couldn’t crush, and the towing capacity might be improved from the current Raptor’s 2500kg maximum.

And what about build numbers? The Raptor V8 would appear toward the end of the current-generation T6 Ranger’s life cycle, before it’s replaced by the final homegrown T7 Ranger in 2021, giving it one hell of a send-off.

Ford’s blueprint for this sort of exercise has already been set by the Mustang R-Spec, a local development by Ford and second-stage manufacturer Herrod Performance.

Just 500 examples of the 500kW special-edition muscle-car will be offered at a price of $99,800 plus ORCs – a hefty $36,000 above the price of a standard Mustang GT coupe.

A lot of that price impost is for modifying the existing V8 engine in addition, rather than the engine transplant proposed for Raptor, which is a more expensive proposition.

But as with the Mustang R-Spec, the Raptor V8 will be available via Ford dealers and backed by Ford’s five-year factory warranty.

So who would do the work?

Herrod Performance, owned by legendary Aussie Ford tuner Rob Herrod, is not involved.

That leaves two obvious candidates in Premcar and Tickford, the two halves of what was once Ford Performance Vehicles/Racing/Prodrive.

Tickford, which is best known as a Supercars team, has been in the Ford product enhancement business for a few years now and offers several Ranger and Mustang upgrades.

While it had a frosty relationship with Ford Australia for a while, the two have cosied up again and Tickford is now working on several engineering projects for the Blue Oval.

Tickford insists a V8 Ranger Raptor is not one of them.

Which leaves Premcar. It has in-depth engineering ability as demonstrated by 2019’s Holy Grail Falcon, a strong relationship with Ford and is understood to have previously experimented with fitting a V8 engine in the Ranger.

Premcar is also involved with Nissan, having done the development work on the Navara Warrior ute and is in-line to do other work for the Japanese company.

But it too says it knows nothing about the V8 Ranger program, which was first exposed by spy shots of a V8 test mule taken by a carsales reader in Geelong last April.

Hopefully, someone is in charge, because we all want it built!
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...coming-122313/

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2020, 11:49 PM   #100
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Here's a crazy idea, what if the V8 has been engineered to load from underneath....
what would that do.....
Old 08-01-2020, 12:32 AM   #101
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

So its $36k to modify a Mustang and this is a complete transplant which they expect will cost more.
Surely it'll be in the vicinity of 120k plus, even if they give credit for the 2.0l

Now im sure some will think im just kicking Ford here, but if its 120k or up for a Ranger I don't see how its any different to the argument against the Camaro by some who suggest the premium isn't justified when you can just buy a Mustang for 30k less, well, you can get the bigger RAM for 40k less.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 12:53 AM   #102
GTMOND

It's a shame it wasn't going to be offered in a lower spec Ranger, and not just the raptor.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 01:07 AM   #103
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
So its $36k to modify a Mustang and this is a complete transplant which they expect will cost more.
Surely it'll be in the vicinity of 120k plus, even if they give credit for the 2.0l

Now im sure some will think im just kicking Ford here, but if its 120k or up for a Ranger I don't see how its any different to the argument against the Camaro by some who suggest the premium isn't justified when you can just buy a Mustang for 30k less, well, you can get the bigger RAM for 40k less.
I've seen a couple of 2019 F150's and they dwarf the Ranger. If the project goes ahead, and if the cost is rumoured to be around $100-120k, then I'd consider buying a RHD converted F150 XLT, Platinum, King Ranch or Lariat with the new 7.3l gas engine.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 02:41 AM   #104
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What if the engine can be fitted on the production line....
Old 08-01-2020, 07:37 AM   #105
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So would this be 4wd or 2wd, Raptors are built to go off road, so what driveline will suit Coyote, just can't see current 4wd setup taking V8 power. Hope i'm wrong, this (v8) might sway me into one.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #106
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
So would this be 4wd or 2wd, Raptors are built to go off road, so what driveline will suit Coyote, just can't see current 4wd setup taking V8 power. Hope i'm wrong, this (v8) might sway me into one.
Think F150 power train donation - 5.0 Coyote, 10R80 and 4WD transfer case.
Basically what people were paying for in a full size RHD converted Pick up
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #107
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The smart thing to do would be to work out a way to add the engine and trans
on the production line and complete the units there.

I find the timing of this project interesting, the utes actually timed to arrive
with barely 12 months to run on this product cycle.

Last edited by jpd80; 08-01-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #108
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But the Raptor wouldn't be replaced straight away in the new model would it?

Old 08-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #109
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
then I'd consider buying a RHD converted F150 XLT, Platinum, King Ranch or Lariat with the new 7.3l gas engine.
Straight LPG?
Old 08-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #110
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The smart thing to do would be to work out a way to add the engine and trans
on the production line and complete the units there.

I find the timing of this project interesting, the utes actually timed to arrive
with barely 12 months to run on this product cycle.
Could it be a test run for the T7?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #111
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Straight LPG?
No, the Merrycans call that propane.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:16 AM   #112
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
No, the Merrycans call that propane.
Calling it 'gas' I thought you might be one.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #113
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
What if the engine can be fitted on the production line....
Then its a factory RHD V8 dual cab ute and should cost little more than a Ram.

But its not, at this stage its a factory backed modified Raptor which is going to cost in the vicinity of 50% more than its nearest competitor which begs the question, whats the point if you can get a Hemi V8 in a bigger ute with a better towing capacity for 80k.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it will sell, im just highlighting the hypocrisy that HSV we're slammed for offering something GM/Holden fans would want because it cost 30k more than a Mustang, yet this is ok because it carries the right badge.

Last edited by BENT_8; 08-01-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #114
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Could it be a test run for the T7?
Could be, by this time next year, the new Ranger will be only 9 or 10 months away.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #115
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Then its a factory RHD V8 dual cab ute and should cost little more than a Ram.
Good theory...
If they change the frame set up for a V engine, the power train can be installed down the line.
After the engine, the 10R80 and transfer case are all common with the 2.0 diesel's 10R80.
Once in place, we know that the engine fits in conversions already done so if Ford
adds the power train during production, the rest of the hook up is less problematic.

Quote:
But its not, at this stage its a factory backed modified Raptor which is going to cost in the vicinity of 50% more than its nearest competitor which begs the question, whats the point if you can get a Hemi V8 in a bigger ute with a better towing capacity for 80k.
All based on a rumor and an assumption.
A V8 Ranger Raptor is unique niche vehicle, you've pointed out several times
that a post factory conversion is going to be expensive. I simply question why
Ford would sanction that when the next gen Ranger will be less than a year away.

All we know is that Ford has a V8 Ranger plan, none of the usual suspects knows anything,
the next logical thought is maybe Ford does it themselves...

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I still think it will sell, im just highlighting the hypocrisy that HSV we're slammed for offering something GM/Holden fans would want because it cost 30k more than a Mustang, yet this is ok because it carries the right badge.
Mustang and Camaro compete side by side in the USA for similar price and therefore only natural that people will compare factory RHD to a post factory converted competitor.

Last edited by jpd80; 08-01-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #116
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch this Ranger assembly video and see how the engines are installed on the frames,
when the body is married to the frame, the inner guards are not in place so maybe those
get slammed in place inside the wheel wells...
Old 08-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #117
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Mustang and Camaro compete side by side in the USA for similar price and therefore only natural that people will compare factory RHD to a post factory converted competitor.
And Raptor and Ram compete side by side for cost in our market so its only natural that people will compare a factory V8 to a post factory converted competitor.

The Camaro is an unlimited post factory production vehicle, this is being marketed as a limited edition, Ford speak for grab your ankles.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #118
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Watch this Ranger assembly video and see how the engines are installed on the frames,
when the body is married to the frame, the inner guards are not in place so maybe those
get slammed in place inside the wheel wells...
And?
I don't think anyone doubts the ease of which a V8 could be fitted during production, the question is, will Ford US sanction it for our small market as i doubt they'll want it to compete against F150 in their market or will they continue to give us the green light for 'limited edition' conversions.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #119
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And Raptor and Ram compete side by side for cost in our market so its only natural that people will compare a factory V8 to a post factory converted competitor.

The Camaro is an unlimited post factory production vehicle, this is being marketed as a limited edition, Ford speak for grab your ankles.
LOL.
There is no marketing, just a rumor.

All i'm saying is that there's a better way than following what everyone else is doing...

Quote:
And?
I don't think anyone doubts the ease of which a V8 could be fitted during production, the question is, will Ford US sanction it for our small market as i doubt they'll want it to compete against F150 in their market or will they continue to give us the green light for 'limited edition' conversions.
This is a limited edition conversion, no one is discussing wider field of competing with F150...
but,
What if the engineering on the next gen T6 allows this to happen....
What if the yanks say yes please to both V8 Bronco and V8 Ranger Raptor.

Last edited by jpd80; 08-01-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #120
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
LOL.
There is no marketing, just a rumor.

All i'm saying is that there's a better way than following what everyone else is doing...
C'mon fella, you know as well as I do that Ford will initially milk this for everything its worth.
They're the less equals more profits car company, remember.