Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2020, 08:34 AM   #151
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: V8 ranger raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Ram: 3-point turns to get out of suburban underground supermarket carparks... it did sound great as i watched and listened with the V8 reflecting off all that concrete...

The Ram provides a full-size interior that no Triton/Navara/Hilux/Ranger/Dmax/BT50 will match and that's one thing I would prefer..however this is a Ford forum... and, well....you know.

How I long for a full size interior. When I lived in nyc my work Ute was a f350. Now it’s a hilux
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 09:42 AM   #152
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
LOL, 20 years ago:
1. FPV too dear, so I'll get an old blown up taxi and put a V8 in it.
2. FPV suspension and brakes Do people actually use them at track days.
3. substitute RR for latest FPV Falcon if you drive it fast, it's a hoon's car..

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
Comparing a blown up taxi , presumably $500 with at least half a million km with an average interior to a blown up ranger up to 150,000km on it at the cost of 15k to 25k depending on km in great condition is apples and oranges.

But i get your sentiment.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #153
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
How I long for a full size interior. When I lived in nyc my work Ute was a f350. Now it’s a hilux
When my mind wonders occassionally I've thought how many buyers, if given the choice would buy a Ranger (or any competitor ute in that class) if it offered proper Falcon-sized cabin space and used a slightly shorter rear tray/load area to stay within the current Ranger footprint.

Obviously the American mid-size utes (F-150 and competitors) have this covered but they are getting close to 6 metres long and over 2 metres wide including ext. mirrors.

The rest of the world doesn't really want F-150 sized vehicles however they might want Ranger-sized vehicles with more interior space at the expense of slightly smaller rear load area.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 09-01-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #154
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When my mind wonders occassionally I've thought how many buyers, if given the choice would buy a Ranger (or any competitor ute in that class) if it offered proper Falcon-sized cabin space and used a slightly shorter rear tray/load area to stay within the current Ranger footprint.

Obviously the American mid-size utes (F-150 and competitors) have this covered but they are getting close to 6 metres long and over 2 metres wide including ext. mirrors.

The rest of the world doesn't really want F-150 sized vehicles however they might want Ranger-sized vehicles with more interior space at the expense of slightly smaller rear load area.
All evidence to the contrary given the F150 is the #1 selling vehicle in the US. Ford sells more F150's than Australia's entire yearly vehicle sales.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #155
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
All evidence to the contrary given the F150 is the #1 selling vehicle in the US. Ford sells more F150's than Australia's entire yearly vehicle sales.
F Series

F150 is only about 2/3s of the total
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #156
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are already a few companies doing a V8 Ranger its available in USA in XLT versions as they dont get the RR, they are already modify the Standard Ranger to suit.
Hemihunter is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #157
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
The Ram provides a full-size interior that no Triton/Navara/Hilux/Ranger/Dmax/BT50 will match and that's one thing I would prefer..
The pov pack $80k Express is no better in the back seat leg room.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #158
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Good luck getting one of those US behemoths out on a bush track. They are simply too big for it. Even the yanks agree, which is why the Wrangler and Bronco are/were so popular.

In before "but not everyone takes them off road". No sheet sherlock. But many do. When you do go off road you see dual cabs just as much as landcruisers etc.

The RAM is just a tow rig. That's where it excels.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #159
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My F150 Raptor goes quite nicely on our bush tracks never had an issue.... I guess it depends on areas, mine is mainly out on the south coast NSW
Hemihunter is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #160
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
My F150 Raptor goes quite nicely on our bush tracks never had an issue.... I guess it depends on areas, mine is mainly out on the south coast NSW
Depends on the track I guess. Some places even a Hilux is a tight squeeze.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #161
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes except I'm talking about the global market, which for the F-series in non-existant outside North America and some South American countries.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #162
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
The pov pack $80k Express is no better in the back seat leg room.
I didn't realise they sold a "shortened" rear dual cab version. Do they sell more than the full dual cab version?
Old 09-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #163
d_jarrett91

has anyone here actually driven the RAM or been in one?
Its like stepping into an AU falcon. It basically has minimal features Unless you are paying for the Laramie which is like 110k. I looked at buying one but decided to get the Bi Turbo XLT just based on that.
2014 Smoke Manual FPV GTF #412 (WAFPV Collective)
2018 Blue Dual Cab PXIII Ranger - 2.0 Bi-turbo
1996 Nissan R33 GTR
1972 XA GS Fairmont 250 2V, Manual
d_jarrett91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #164
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jarrett91 View Post
has anyone here actually driven the RAM or been in one?
Its like stepping into an AU falcon. It basically has minimal features Unless you are paying for the Laramie which is like 110k. I looked at buying one but decided to get the Bi Turbo XLT just based on that.
How do the two compare for interior width? I know when I traded our 2015 Territory Titanium for a Everest Trend it felt like we lost a foot of interior width, if not more.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #165
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
How do the two compare for interior width? I know when I traded our 2015 Territory Titanium for a Everest Trend it felt like we lost a foot of interior width, if not more.
Yeh three baby seats/capsules fitted in a Territory, but not in an Everest, despite it looking bigger, the Territory is about 50mm wider on the inside door trim to door trim.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #166
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
Don't tell old mate from Adelaide, he thinks to have fun you have to go to the
Simpson desert, tow a 3.5 tonne caravan and carry forty-leven jerry cans of fuel.

Lots of people have fun in Utes on the weekends without travelling distances from home.

On a different note,
I just noticed that the Ram 1500 Laramie is roughly $105K Drive Away,
you wouldn't want an express, they are bloody down market for $80K DA

Last edited by jpd80; 09-01-2020 at 07:09 PM.
6 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #167
Whistlr

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...03U5IGYnRZblA4
Whistlr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #168
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Don't tell old mate from Adelaide
Thanks Jpd, Im just stoked that you didn't narrow it down and expose that im actually from 'Lizbeff.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 10:34 PM   #169
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Thanks Jpd, Im just stoked that you didn't narrow it down and expose that im actually from 'Lizbeff.
Glad you took it in good jest, we all gotta live somewhere.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #170
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistlr View Post
Now the internet and media are chasing their tails,
This thing will become bigger than Ben Hur until
someone works out the rumours are self feeding.

At $140K, they’ve lost the rabbit,
just go convert a full sized Raptor
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2020, 12:38 AM   #171
hayseed

Quote:
I didn't realise they sold a "shortened" rear dual cab version. Do they sell more than the full dual cab version?

hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2020, 02:01 AM   #172
Whistlr

Quote:

The part that got my attention from that article is that it may be next gen, although Toby Bacon is saying it'll be current gen.

Toby Bacon was writing for Wheels and they were the ones that somehow got their hands on the leaked shots of the 2021 Ranger that Ford Australia didn't request be taken down although Ford US did make that request to media outlets in the US. Why would Dearborn stop their press but not give Ford Au some directive to do the same here?

So basically Wheels magazine have been given a scoop. A controlled leak. Now news of a V8 Raptor follows from the same source.

So if we go back to what that article suggests... the next gen could be the aim and Ford are looking for reactions, which explains why they're so quiet and haven't responded to other media outlets. Everyone is salivating at the prospect and there's nothing better than sending this platform off with a V8, except having it installed on the production line in the next gen.

So my theory is I think Wheels have been given limited information. They've been made to think it'll be like Mustang Rspec, and now Ford is just gauging responses to see if it's worth doing it from factory.. I mean, it's a no brainer.

At about $85k from factory they can't go wrong. Do the same for the Everest because it needs a shot in the arm, or they could just let it dwindle like everything else in the Ford range.

Remember, it's all about the ride height, the practicality and versatility. Hence the craze for SUVs. This ute isn't an SUV, but not far off it and it has its perks.

Another thing. V8s... they're uneconomical as we here all know and love but it could turn some off in favour of diesel. What if.... and I'm just thinking our loud here, what if that hybrid V8 is put to good use?

We know there's electrification happening to the F150, so there must be some sort of plans for the Ranger as well. As for the V8 hybrid it exists within Ford. I know it does. Economies of scale would mean it would be used in F series mostly, and Mustang, and if Ford don't rest on their laurels they should bludgeon the Ranger's competition with it.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:21 AM   #173
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Legal did ask for the images to be taken down but by the time that was
done, the image had been dispersed far and wide. Ford's request only served
to confirm the images as legitimate.

Keep in mind that reporters also read social media and may just be "kite flying"
based on what's said here and elsewhere...so we could be feeding the delusion
that there's more to this than actually is..

V8s are notoriously thirsty, that's the whole reason they died out in large cars.
So explain the rise in popularity of full sized V8 Pick up sales?
Answer: Buyers were always there but limited by sheer price, a reduction in price
thanks to more efficient conversion now gives them access even though still more
expensive than our mid sized utes. can be leased for business to reduce the sting.

Regardless of that, a V8 Ranger Raptor is a desirable product that has very
little foundation in practicality, it's a gotta have much like mustang / Camaro.

A lot of those technologies still sit beyond our market due to expense and no RHD.
A hybrid Ranger would be something to consider as the power train could be
sourced from the 3.3 V6 hybrid Explorer, good FE, more HP than diesel.

The next gen Ranger would be the ideal time to batch all changes, the question
is what engines does that entail, 2.0 diesel, 3.0 diesel..a TTV6 EB or V8?

Last edited by jpd80; 10-01-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #174
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistlr
Of course they are going to deny it. Do these journos think these companies would break a confidentiality agreement? They would never confirm they are working on a secret project.

In saying that, even I don't know wether it's real or not.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #175
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Glad you took it in good jest, we all gotta live somewhere.
Could be worse I guess, some people have to live in Geelong..
Old 10-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #176
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Nearly double the price of a regular Raptor is just silly. They wouldn't even consider anywhere near that price. It's unrealistic.

Converted F150 Raptors new go for about 185k. Although second hand ones a few years old may be down towards 150k.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #177
Whistlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Of course they are going to deny it. Do these journos think these companies would break a confidentiality agreement? They would never confirm they are working on a secret project.

In saying that, even I don't know wether it's real or not.
Yeah that's a given - I don't question that at all.

Just reading Toby's article again. He says the V8 will actually replace the 2.0, ie, the 2.0 will no longer be an option, and the Raptor will be V8-only? It sounds like that's what he's saying unless I've misinterpreted. In which case I tend to think it won't be as expensive if Ford bring in the Raptor without it's diesel driveline. You'd know, is that doable?
Old 10-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #178
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Personally I think it'll be a T6 limited edition filler to keep interest until the boosted petrol engines arrive, it'll sell easily to the hardcore fans but I doubt it'll ever be a production option because despite the V8, it still doesn't address the things that the other V8 Ute does for that market, the Yanks wont/don't need it competing in their market and therefore the limited return won't cover investment to get it across the line for our small market.
As I said before, this maybe and what if is nothing more than damage control as Raptor/Wildtrack buyers will be holding out to see if they can get a piece which will hurt immediate numbers.
The cat got out too soon.

My2c.

Last edited by BENT_8; 10-01-2020 at 01:13 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #179
Whistlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Personally I think it'll be a T6 limited edition filler to keep interest until the boosted petrol engines arrive, it'll sell easily to the hardcore fans but I doubt it'll ever be a production option because despite the V8, it still doesn't address the things that the other V8 Ute does for that market, the Yanks wont/don't need it competing in their market and therefore the limited return won't cover investment to get it across the line.
As I said before, this maybe and what if is nothing more than damage control as Raptor/Wildtrack buyers will be holding out to see if they can get a piece which will hurt immediate numbers.
The cat got out too soon.

My2c.
Good points. A sharp drop in orders for the diesel Raptor would be telling.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #180
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistlr View Post
Good points. A sharp drop in orders for the diesel Raptor would be telling.
If you had plans to order a diesel Raptor in the coming months would you go ahead or wait and see what happens?
The diesel is ongoing due to other markets, you won't miss out by waiting, but pull the trigger now and you could very well miss the desirable one.