Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
DRM ON
~trim taut terrific~

Default Why do you own your Ford?

besides the obvious I just want to know why so many people own the cars they own.

I was only thinking today about why I became obsessed with old fords especially xw/ys

The story goes my family is a ford family through and through so I was always into them but for some stupid reason I caught the 4cyl bug and my first cars were all jap crap riceboxes haha.

I went to syd for autosalon a few years ago, my mate had a vl turbo, was a pretty nice thing and damn quick. Massive chrome rims, white leather trim, you know the deal haha (i can already picture you spewing in your mouth haha)
We all thought we were it and a bit and cruised around sydney all night in that thing.

Anyway after a few hours we decided to head back to the motel, we were driving along when we pulled up at a set of lights and a quicksilver xy gt (may have been a rep. didnt really know the difference back then) pulled up next to us. This thing sounded tuff but had 5 big blokes in it and I thought it looked good but knew my mates vl would kill it.

The lights went green, my mate took off and this xy absolutely smoked us, I can still see it fish tailight the whole way up the road (in no way do i condone street racing. but this is my story haha) and into the distance. The sound was insane and just seeing that thing kill my mates car was enough to realise ide been wasting so much money on rubbish and I needed to get some old school muscle myself haha.

so what influenced you into the cars you have?
Any other similar stories?

Old 31-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why do you own your Ford?

Holden utes are useless for towing or carrying anything .. hence the previous AU and now FG ute. Best tool for the task. Easy.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I wanted a commodore
I analysed my choice
I found falcons were superior cars for many reasons (better torque curve, smoother autos, single piece tailshaft, easier access to fuel pump, smoother ride, better on LPG etc etc)
so I bought a falcon, and haven't stopped since
Old 31-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

My uncle owns a Ford dealership. It was kinda just the family thing. But through that relationship you build your own desire, respect and appreciation for Fords because they were your primary choice.

Now I just love Fords, or at least, prefer Fords over Holdens. At some point you get past the Ford/Holden thing (well, I did anyway) and just appreciate fine motor cars.
Old 31-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

For lack of a better idea

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
Falcman0o7
Banned

Nice good cheap reliable solid cars.
I will NEVER change to anything other than a falcon.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
Scott

I still have one because I haven't gotten around to selling it.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I'd been driving an E-series Falcon and loved the lazy torque and easy cruising and it was well built and finished (my how that's changed, and not for the better) but had previously owned mid-size 4WD's (Pathfinders) and missed their practicality and robustness.

Also, I wanted to buy new (though that experience hasn't been great either) and I couldn't afford a BMW X5 and I like to support Australian manufacturing, while I still can.

The Territory was the natural choice.

Last edited by Raptor; 31-03-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add more
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not a family thing for me it's just purely choice, affordability, bang for ya buck and damn good looks. The first car was a BA Futura which i did up looked schmick. I couldn't buy any GMH which looked as good, drove as smoothly, went as hard and sounded as good. I now work for Ford and love every minute of it as everything from Ford since then is just plainly better.

That being said i do appreciate the LS engines but they're not exactly Holdens anyway. We have a used SSV Ute with full exhaust, paccies, Growler intake sounds beaut and damn does it go hard! It's just a shame the auto gearboxes are terrible compared to the ZF
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
sanchoXB

Because an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish is too expensive!
sanchoXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I've owned quite a few Falcons from XB on and presently have an FG R6 Work Ute.
Being able to keep up with current or near current model allows me to feel both the
direction Ford is taking in the car's evolution while still retaining that rugged character
and nice solid feeling the ride has to it over indifferent road surfaces.

I guess for me, it's the way the Falcon soaks up some of the bumps and gets you to the
other end without needing a chiropractor. When you hit the go, the engine responds and
gets around that B-double in front. Try that in a Camry and you end up like fish paste...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I dont own one because Ford didnt make a smallish, deadly simple tough 4wd.

Thats going to go soonish and ill be getting a different car. As much as id like to support the Aussie car industry im going to go to Mitsubishi, because Ford dont offer what i want and need.

New deisel Terri would have been on the top of my list if it had a real 4wd system.

We had Falcon Wagons as the family car since forever. Why? Because they dont die and are brilliant to drive, also the space is like nothing else.
Cheaper to service, parts are a plenty...

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not really sure. I come from a diehard Holden family, so Holdens were always the first choice for a while. I wanted to replace my old clunker Hilux with a VS/VT Commodore, but then one day I was in my nan's VS wagon and I took a good look at the thing. The build quality was so bad that it literally made my jaw drop. Nothing lined up, nothing matched, stuff peeling away. This in a very well maintained, always garaged car with 90*** on the clock.

I did a bit of research and slowly realised that the Falcon equivalent was just so much better and has almost always been the case (XF and VK, EL and VS, BA and VY etc). Falcon is cheap to buy, easy to work on, has a great ride, good interiors, well equipped, safe, heaps of grunt from the bulletproof I6, what's not to love? So I went and bought one.
Old 31-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been a Ford fan since i was very young. So naturally my first car was going to be one. I looked at everything from XA-BF to Focus to Fairlane, but to me it was always going to be a BA, it brought falcon back, and was released in the prime of my interest in cars.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I still had my Cortina I would tell you why.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Mate had a EFII Futura as a first car, was the first to get his licence. Took a fair bit of a thrashing and was the fastest car in the school parking lot, took Commos from that era in the Traffic Light Grand Prix as well. Needless to say I got a NF Fairlane and now a Big Block Galaxie that I am off my Ps.
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First falcon i got was because everyone has a commodore so I wanted to be a little different.

Then I couldnt pass up buying an XR8
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #18
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Why do you own your Ford?

Plain and simple. Bang for buck.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
blk6t

Always been a Ford man but when the BA arrived on the scene it really got me back into being a car person. I remeber reading about the new turbo 6, the arrival of FPV with a new GT and the F6 was born aswell. The BA was a very exciting period for Ford and me aswell.

A guy I worked with, owned a VT Clubsport, he went out and purchased a blueprint BA XR6 Turbo, 5 speed, leather, premium audio etc. When he drove it to work, I was in love. I still remember sitting in the driver seat blown away at how nice the interior was and the exterior.

I was then a passenger in the car, my first XR6 Turbo experience and I remember the first time he gave the throttle a squeeze in second gear. The car just hauled and pushed me in the seat. From that point on, I was a XR6 Turbo man.

Shortly after, still on my P's I purchased a black XR6 Turbo ute and now well into my 20's I own my second Turbo and still love it.

Now I have driven lots of cars, HSV's, FPV's, euro's, jap's etc but none of them feel the same a RWD manual fast Ford.
Old 31-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #20
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couldn't get an ss with live axle and tray
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #21
Zero_PSI
Banned

Dont know? Just love ford
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #22
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL

both my wifes grocery getter and my work car are holdens. (Both great cars)

Any how for me it all started, when I was born, Dad was a mechanic at Hunt Bros ford (now Thompson Ford Parramatta) the family car was an XL delux dark blue white roof, I still remember the smell of the trim, dad kept that car imaculate, and when the time came that mum needed a car we got her a TC Cortina wagon and the XL was replaced a few years later with an XC Falcon (the XL wasnt up to towing caravans and family hoilidays) so the XL was parked sideways in mothballs for me then 10 to take it over. the XC was replaced with a ZG (my sisters got in to horses and we needed a strong tow vehicle) and the ZG with a P6 LTD so its been in my blood from birth

My First car was an XC GS ute, my 2nd was a ZK fairlane, followed by a ZL then an NC before the old skool bug bit and i brought a ZC for a toy

I wont disclose what happend to the XL (its not pretty) and the ZC was sold to fund a boat (my wife is still kicking my arce for that) here's were it goes a little more off course. the boat was sold to buy the Chev but it all squared up last September my Dad had just passed away and I was going for a run arround the block when I came accross my XP delux, its my some times car until the chev is finished, and the number plates that were on all dads cars, from is 1st ford, through to the AUIII he had when he dided are now on the XP, so for me fords are in my breeding and sentimental all at the same time

that said I just cant bring myself to buy a current one, the rubish Ive gone through with my last 3 company cars and the qualty control and poor serivce I received I just cant do it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #23
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Parents always had fords and we were from the country-farming etc.

My first car was an XC fairmont gxl-however it never saw the road for me.

First on road car an a VC commodore-good size-pity commo's are now like a truck in size.

Next was a AT TX5 telstar turbo-yes i know-basically a badged mazda.

Then on to my first new vehicle, an AU ute, straight 6 on LPG. Holdens V6motor on LPG at the time did not seem reliable or built for the task-otherwise they would have offered a factory option back then.

I worked it out myself, it was rear suspension in utes, and also I have a hate for the mostly useless V6. Straight 6 is a much better option.

Since you ute died a fiery death-got a BF XR8, and wondered why I had not had a V8 since the gxl.
First BF died-killing a commodore in the process-so I got another the same.

All my Fords have had their own personality. I just don't see that in holdens.

Not owned any other brands personally. Partner had an 2000 Astra-ok car, an N16 pulsar-fun when I put race suspension in it-ok otherwise, and now she owns a 2006 Lancer VRX, fun for the stiffness the body has, but uses too much fuel for a 4 Cyl. Chick cars don't have personality either.

The Falcon just seems to suit Aust the best.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #24
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Thumbs up Re: Why do you own your Ford?

Ask a simple question .....

OK i'm BLUE blooded simple as that, i was a bankrupt when the BA was released in 02, long story really short - met a girl, improved my job and for christmas i decided to buy her the car I wanted 3 years previous...

Because of her age and for insurance purposes it had to be N/A , lord knows if it had been turbo it would now be running 9's !!!

We got married/divorced she kept most of the house stuff i got the car ..

We are still good mates, but out of sheer principal and what i have gone through with this car i could never sell it.

Cost wise..

Rebuilt bottom end, rods n' pistons, 3 x trans , 3 x stall convertors , 3 x diff centres , 2 x heads , 2 x suspension set ups , 4 x sets of wheels , 2 x different tuning shops , does it matter ?

Every second weekend when i spend over 6 hours detailing her the smile i get from rollin' slowly around the Goldie makes all the Blood Sweat and definately Tears worthwhile !

Daz..x..
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #25
MexicanBatman
Banned

I wanted a luxury sedan that could do 12's looked stylish but not like a tonka toy and cost 50k brandnew not 200k

I got it
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #26
Transfiguring R

We're a Ford family but the main reason for me owning a BF Typhoon is that I want to follow in my old man's footsteps in some things. My old man owned a genuine Phase 3 back in the day, the quickest Falcon at the time. When I bought the Typhoon, it was the quickest Falcon variant getting around.

My old man wrecked his Phase 3, rolled it. We just have the 351 High Performance badge from the cabin now as a memento, and it's cracked in half down the middle. I don't plan on following my old man's footsteps that far...
Old 31-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #27
Pis-ton broke
Banned

bang for buck, looks good, ease of service, engine type(straight six), relieable, very easy to get cheap parts. easy to fix. our family has always had fords and from experience, they can take regular punsihment. never been stuck somewhere with problems.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #28
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

What else is there ?? Lol..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #29
Danny
GT4.

The Fords?

Why because as a work ute that drives like a sedan, the 6T engines and A6 Gearboxes are the better than the V8's and A6's from the SS.

Sure you lose some handling with the leafies and live axle, but the 6T is a pretty good thing.

The Clio RS182 cup I had and the current RS250 Megane I bought simply because for their respective prices there is NOTHING that handles, and goes like they do, and are still comfortable, they are phenominal.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #30
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
What else is there ?? Lol..
true, but i am not sure of the lol. i thought it was a serious comment

that and no other manufacturer makes xa-xc coupes
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post