Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default Just bought myself an au3

Hi

Just bought myself a 2002 AU series 3 forte as a daily. I have a few bits n pieces round the place from my ba so hoping I can mod it a bit, wheels etc

I just sold my VT commodore acclaim series 2 to buy it so I'm hoping I've made the right call.

I've only owned it less than a day, I'll detail it today and throw up some pics. Immediately I'm seeing some pros and cons between these two cars.

The VT had traction control, 4 airbags, factory alarm and IRS over the AU

The AU has a nicer sounding stereo with CD player, front power windows (VT had no cd and manual window winders).

I've ordered a chrome grill for the AU and need to repair the exhaust which has a hole in it.

I'll take it for a nice drive today to get a better feel for the drive and comment then but I was very happy with the VT and how it drove. So unsure on this as yet.

As for looks, I'll post up some picks after a detail, with some decent wheels (I'll put them on this morning) and the chrome grill should look good. I actually like the rear end of the AU but not so sure about those big frog headlights. Hoping the chrome grill tidy up the front end look a little. The colour is burgundy so I like how the rear lights almost blend in.

As I'll replace the cat back exhaust this week, any benefit in going a car back sports system over a standard replacement set of mufflers? Not too keen on the sound more so if it adds a bit if grunt.

HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Default Re: Just bought myself an au3

the au3 forte should have smartshield alarm and immobilizer. traction control is built into the right foot pedal.
4 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
ben131185

benefit of a sports exhaust over standard will be cheaper price and a better system but louder.

I'm not sure irs is any better than live axel, never driven irs. but it will save you having to get rear wheel alignments, and i would think the live axel is a simpler stronger design.
ben131185 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

You'll forget all about the look of the headlights the first time you take it out at night and turn them on. assuming the lenses are clean and clear, they are the best headlight of any car produced before or since. Bang some +80 or +100 globes in and you'll be more than impressed with the light they give you.
A 2-1/2" cat back and a good washable air filter will give you better flow, a little better response and a couple of extra kw and it doesn't need to be a noisy "sports" muffler either. Our wagon has a quiet system and you wouldn't pick it from stock except for the bigger tail pipe.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
mif73
CNC fixer guy

You can make the headlights appear smaller by colour coding the bezels inside to either body colour or satin black like a t series.
Or you could get headlight protectors and paint an eye brow up top?

At least the s3 dont have the chrome bezels like s2 as that is too much chrome i think.

As for the chrome grille, see if you like it when you fit it.
Hopefully its been looked after and will look after you.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben131185 View Post
benefit of a sports exhaust over standard will be cheaper price and a better system but louder.

I'm not sure irs is any better than live axel, never driven irs. but it will save you having to get rear wheel alignments, and i would think the live axel is a simpler stronger design.
IRS is nice to have on less than perfect roads but live axle is more durable and much easier and cheaper to replace worn parts.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
HULK_I6T
Banned

Yes this is a AU..

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 10-02-2014 at 02:36 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 26-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
HULK_I6T
Banned

I'm going to make AU falcons cool to drive lol

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 10-02-2014 at 02:36 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Au's have always been cool to drive.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
Au's have always been cool to drive.
Very True.
I painted my lights made a huge difference,

get a bobtail for standard rear spoiler as well, will help with reversing.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had no trouble with the iRS, I've towed plenty with it, still on all original bushes at 220000 k's, the top shock mounts some people seem to go through, I did mine at about 160,000 k's which is pretty reasonable I think.
I still give it curry now and again, but I don't go belting over speed humps (which we have plenty of around here), the back ends had one alignment 9 years.............. still tracks good , and tyres still wear properly.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #12
HULK_I6T
Banned

Buying an AU gets you alot of car. I'm happy with mine.

Have not driven it enough to compare it to a VT or BA.

I have the AU3 forte, it's very simple inside, not many buttons at all but I still think it's pretty cool?? There's your CD player, air cond, 2 power windows and go.

I like the black dash, grey centre. The base VT acclaim was just grey everywhere. I sold my acclaim but still have a VT Calais ls1. But I like the VT as well, it's a very nice car.

I'm undecided which model is better (VT or AU) both very very close. I've certainly underestimated AUs in my past, dare I say it even the looks aren't that bad.
Old 26-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #13
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post
I've certainly underestimated AUs in my past, dare I say it even the looks aren't that bad.
They were definitely ahead of their time with styling, thats for sure. Not the prettiest out there, but I find well kept examples still blend with modern cars in traffic quite well.
Old 27-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #14
MadnessEvolved

I recently came into the ownership of an AU (Series 1 XR6), and am much impressed with the car. From what I've seen reading these forums is I'm pretty glad to have snagged a manual, for throttle response on take-off, but I've driven an auto forte a few times a few years ago and the response on that thing is what started me thinking that the AU is a model worth looking at.

Might see if I can't get my **** into gear and make myself an intro ...
MadnessEvolved is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Nice one Hulk, what are your thoughts so far after a decent drive in it? Have you sold the supercharged BA?

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #16
HULK_I6T
Banned

Took it for a drive today. Goes good. I have to put an exhaust on it this week. Not sure if i should get a sports system or just a standard system. But the current system with its holes is holding it up.

Did a few easy mods today. Xr6t snorkel and made up a ss inductions style air deflector.(sits behind grill deflecting air upwards into snorkel). Panel k&n filter.

changed all the fluids and filters.

supercharged 8 is still for sale
Old 28-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #17
HULK_I6T
Banned

fitted up a 2.5 inch catback. Car feels a little stronger and more throttle response.

the catbacvk system is very quiet, I fitted full exhaust to my BA i6 and its very loud in comparison. The ba is so much louder its not funny. (has extractors and high flow cat as well)

AU is just 2.5 cat back and its barely louder than stock. just a slight hum.
Old 28-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #18
Grippy

What brand catback is it? I assume it has two decent mufflers if it is still nice and quiet. Sounds like it was just what you were looking for in a new exhaust (not too loud).

Old 28-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #19
HULK_I6T
Banned

i bought both exhausts from the same guy. He makes them himself under the brand of Mercury I think. Basically the same design as hurricane exhausts.

But both BA and the AU have a 2.5 inch system made by the same guy. The BA was so loud I had to fit an additional resonator and its still way louder than the AU. But the BA also has extractors and high flow cat, AU is only cat back
Old 29-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #20
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

hulk buys AU - head asplodes.

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #21
HULK_I6T
Banned

Ok here is an honest review of the AU after driven it a few more km, my opinion only.

Performance

I have the au series 3 forte. I'm comparing it to both a VT series 2 commodore ecotec v6 and also a BA i6.

The au I have has a 2.5 inch cat back system, large xr6t snorkel, ss inductions air deflector and panel filter. It has new plugs, filters, oils etc and in very good condition. Just cruising around it feels nice to drive, great throttle response and very torquey feel. More than adequate for any situation.

When push comes to shove the gearing sort of let's it down off the line, much like the BA. The VT commodore just about blazes the tyres off the line under hard throttle. Far better off the line and to about 40km/h. My old VT has a 98 octane performance memcal and intake mods, exhaust is stock.

When the revs get up a bit the AU has very decent top end, from about 40km/h it starts to pull pretty well, better than the VT commodore ecotec v6 up top. Overall they feel about as fast as one another. Maybe the AU would pip it over the quarter mile. Both 0-100km/h in around 8 seconds give or take a few 10ths. I actually like the torquey feel of the AU lugging about, the commodore is responsive but it's more eager to drop a gear and dart away with a few revs than slug it out like the AU.

The BA i6 has a few more mods like tune and full exhaust. It takes off in a similar manner to the AU but as revs rise it's a fair bit more powerful than the AU. The BA really does move, 0-100km/h in mid to high 6s. The BA feels very responsive on the motorway at 100km/h more so than either VT or AU.

STEERING/HANDLING

I've read much about how many forum members rate the AU as a good steer. I like driving it and it's smooth but I'm not sold that it's better than either VT or BA. Nor is it worse, it's just at the road speeds I don't really appreciate the differences too much.

LOOKS

The VT is a fine looking car (a well kept example) but so is the AU. I actually like the rear end of the AU and I think it looks more modern than the VT from the rear. More modern or not I like the look of the rear end. The series 3 AU has a thicker looking spear with the words falcon inscribed. The front end I think it's the other way round, I prefer the VT and think the AU isn't too great from the front. I'm getting a chrome grill to try and address it, I have the AU series 3 too.
Side on I think I like the AU, much like the BA to look at especially with. Nice set of wheels and nice colour.

INTERIOR

The au is very roomy inside, it actually feels more roomy than the BA as well even though they are the same size. I like the BA interior better overall but I like the old roomy feel of the AU, brings me back to driving old fords where they felt huge inside. The less flat dash of the ba gives the impression you are surrounded, the au feels more flat and thus roomy? Hope it makes sense? The VT feels and is a smaller car, it's great as well as you have a full size car that's smaller/compact. The base VT is a little boring with everything being grey but the Calais is nice bit of kit. I think I like the AU series 3 forte interior better than the upmarket au models like the ghia.

Overall

The BA i6 performs significantly better than VT or AU.

The VT and AU are both nice cars, don't know if I can really put one as better than the other, very different but very very even. I've happily owned a nice VT and I think I'll also enjoy the AU.
Old 29-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito
I think I like the AU series 3 forte interior better than the upmarket au models like the ghia.
you had me til that bit

none of your cars mentioned are stock though so it's not a very fair comparison, especially the BA. Reasonable enough though i guess.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #23
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
you had me til that bit

none of your cars mentioned are stock though so it's not a very fair comparison, especially the BA. Reasonable enough though i guess.
I like the simple look of the interior. The Ghia models introduce that high mounted climate control and big woodgrain thing. They tried to be a bit too cute in my opinion on the upper spec models.

I think the key to a nice looking AU is keep it simple. Nice wheels, no body kit or anything, subtle highlights like grill, tints etc. No altezzas lights.

The VT commodore was a fair comparison, only had memcal and intake, AU has catback and intake. Agree the Ba has a few too many mods to be compared fairly.
Old 29-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #24
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

How many klm's has the AU done Hulk ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #25
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
How many klm's has the AU done Hulk ?.
156,000km.. A little high for my liking but car is in supurb condition with service records. Have a look at the pics. Its very well kept.

Its an 02 model so 13 years old and 12000km per year is ok.
Old 29-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #26
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

The AU ghia is the nicest interior I've ever been in of any Falcmont. The all black interior of my au3 ghia I miss the most. You might wanna spend a bit of time in one.
3 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #27
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

If I had a low series the first thing I would change is the dash.

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #28
Grippy

Quote:
156,000km.. A little high for my liking but car is in supurb condition with service records. Have a look at the pics. Its very well kept.

At 156,000 kms, she is barely run in with a good, complete service history.

Old 29-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #29
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:

Hmmm so all that you have previously said about a high klm car like that is now irrelevant then ?.

I mean how do you know the exact history on a car like that to be able to evaluate it and compare it to your previous rides, you say it doesn't have the punch like the VT or BA , that's probably because it's been flogged it's whole life.
You say it doesn't drive better then the other's where the AU is known for it's driving characteristics, well once again that's probably because it's been flogged or not looked after in a previous life.

I'm just saying what you yourself has expressed over the yr.'s.

If it had under 100 thousand klm's then it might be a different story but didn't you once say that once a car hit's those klm's it's all down hill.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #30
HULK_I6T
Banned

It just so happens that my AU is sweet despite the km, probably one of the best condition AU's going around and well above the expected condition for a car of these km. How many km have you now racked up on your AU? whats the condition like?

Read my review comments below, ive been very fair. I own all three cars (just sold the VT V6) so I have absolutely no reason to be lop sided. Sure Ive also read all sorts of things about AU driving characteristics but what cars have these people compared them with? The AU drives well, very well but relative to what? I wouldnt say any better than my old VT, not worse but not really better either. Thats not a bad thing either, both are great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Hmmm so all that you have previously said about a high klm car like that is now irrelevant then ?.

I mean how do you know the exact history on a car like that to be able to evaluate it and compare it to your previous rides, you say it doesn't have the punch like the VT or BA , that's probably because it's been flogged it's whole life.
You say it doesn't drive better then the other's where the AU is known for it's driving characteristics, well once again that's probably because it's been flogged or not looked after in a previous life.

I'm just saying what you yourself has expressed over the yr.'s.

If it had under 100 thousand klm's then it might be a different story but didn't you once say that once a car hit's those klm's it's all down hill.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 29-01-2014 at 06:32 PM.