Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Default AU IRS 3.45 LSD in to a Solid Beam

Does anyone how if the IRS 3.45 LSD will come out of the Final Drive unit and bolt in to the Solid Beam housing?

I am looking at putting a 3.45 LSD in to my wagon and have found an IRS 3.45 LSD

Regards
Ray

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

Ford Performance Club of ACT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rayban76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU IRS 3.45 LSD in to a Solid Beam

im pretty sure the lsd is a totally different carrier
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Hmmm not sure, I know that you can put the IRS LSD in to a non LSD IRS, just not sure about putting it in the beam axle

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

As far as I'm aware, they are not interchangeable.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

I know the solid beams can take the LSD because mines got one in it at the moment but it's not a 3.45 ....
The solid beam manual talked about the LSD as well...
Hmm wonder if it's worth buying it and seeing, and if not selling it off ....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just ring up a diff shop in Adelaide? theres a few renowned ones here, they'll know, or even athol park ford wreckers would know
Old 09-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Thanks mcfly94, I might do that tomorrow just to make sure.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Ray, come and borrow my IRS diff and see if the centre will fit into your live axle housing. It is a 3.23 single spinner, but it should at least highlight if the centre will fit?

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly94 View Post
just ring up a diff shop in Adelaide? theres a few renowned ones here, they'll know, or even athol park ford wreckers would know
Thanks for the idea, just called and the IRS centres are a different setup and do not bolt in to the Solid beam housing ...

Damn ........

Cheers for the offer Stu, now just need to find a 3.45 LSD from like a series 1 XR8 as they had the solid beam

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Ahahaha, they do bolt in. I've got a set of 3:45's from an AU IRS center in my EF wagon. Did the diff center, and pinion swap on my driveway.

Can always get an XR ute diff complete and just bolt it in. AU1 XR8's still got IRS too.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #11
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRGhia View Post
Ahahaha, they do bolt in. I've got a set of 3:45's from an AU IRS center in my EF wagon. Did the diff center, and pinion swap on my driveway.
Is that right .... Hmmm thanks Tony, I couldnt see why they wouldnt but when I was told that I was like oh ok ...

Is yours the LSD ?

Hmmmm ok this gives me more hope hahaha

Cheers Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Yeah it's an LSD center.

I doubt there's a difference between EF and AU. Even my standard axles went back in no issues.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #13
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Quote:
Yeah it's an LSD center.

I doubt there's a difference between EF and AU. Even my standard axles went back in no issues.
Ok cool thanks Tony, I'l just get it and try it then... 'IF' for some reason it doesnt fit i'll just sell it but I coldnt see why it wouldnt.

Ray

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #14
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

The only thing though, is that getting the diff center out/in is a tight fit, so be careful. I used a rubber mallet to slowly tap the LSD 3:45's in, and some rope to rip the old one 3:23's out.

What I did was brakes off, handbrake released, then the 4 bolts (14mm off memory) that hold the axle in.

I didn't have to remove the handbrake gear at all though, left that in place. Drain the oil before pulling the axles just incase.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Quote:
The only thing though, is that getting the diff center out/in is a tight fit, so be careful. I used a rubber mallet to slowly tap the LSD 3:45's in, and some rope to rip the old one 3:23's out.

What I did was brakes off, handbrake released, then the 4 bolts (14mm off memory) that hold the axle in.

I didn't have to remove the handbrake gear at all though, left that in place. Drain the oil before pulling the axles just incase.
Yeah the rear whel bearings have only recently been done so its the 4 hex bolts to slide each axle out of the retainers.

I'll give it a try, will put a new seal in the housing at the same time

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #16
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Ok so have called another diff place and have been told they are a very easy swap to do and the IRS set will bolt straight in.

Thanks again for the advice Tony.

Ray

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sounds like a ripper mod!

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #18
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
Sounds like a ripper mod!

All the best with it.

GK
Thanks GK, i'll make sure there are plenty of pics up on my thread when I do it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #19
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I've rebuilt both types of these diffs, live axle and IRS, though I haven't had them in pieces side by side.

For some reason I understand they aren't interchangeable, but now reading this thread further, I want to see for myself.

I have a live axle setup that I'm in the middle of reassembling right now, and I have a IRS center sitting in the shed.

I'll take the hat off the IRS center tomorrow, eyeball it, and take a few measurements while the hat is still off the live axle.

How does that sound...
4 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #20
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
I've rebuilt both types of these diffs, live axle and IRS, though I haven't had them in pieces side by side.

For some reason I understand they aren't interchangeable, but now reading this thread further, I want to see for myself.

I have a live axle setup that I'm in the middle of reassembling right now, and I have a IRS center sitting in the shed.

I'll take the hat off the IRS center tomorrow, eyeball it, and take a few measurements while the hat is still off the live axle.

How does that sound...
Some pics would be awesome if you could as well sox,

I spoke with a diff place here in canberra and he said they are interchangable centres, and actually had one of each he just finished building for someone

Ray

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #21
Sox
RIP...

I can't eyeball a difference between the spools.

However the cones and spider gears must be slightly different as the IRS half shafts lock into the cone/spider gear with a 'C' clip.
I can also see a slight difference in the cones from the small clearance inspection hole.

My guess is an IRS spool might go into a solid housing, but probably not the other way around, as the IRS half shafts wouldn't be able to lock into anything.

Without completely disassembling the IRS spool I have here, I can't really tell for sure.
(I don't want to disturb this unit).

In a nutshell it possibly works the way you want to do it, however if it were me I'd probably try to source the correct parts as there is definitely a difference.

For your info, I picked up 2 x LS spools from Ebay a couple weeks back for $200.
I've already rebuilt 1 (machined cones/shimmed) and plonked it in my work ute with 4.11 gears, it works perfect.
The other one will go into my XR6 wagon when I find some 3.7 or 3.9 gears.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #22
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Thanks for that info Sox, yeah the diff guy said to me the same thing that the IRS would go in to a solid beam but not the other way around so your 'eyeballing' seems pretty spot on lol

Cheers
Ray

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #23
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

The cones are different, you can use the IRS cones in a live axle, however live axle cones don't have the circlip for the half shafts.

The diff gears and LSD center and completely interchangeable into the live axle housing, I have done it before.
Old 13-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #24
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so if go buy a complete irs lsd 3.45 centre I can swap into my live axle diff?
Old 14-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #25
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

you can swap the center and gears yes, you need to use all the shims from the donor diff, which means knocking the pinion bearing shells out of the housing and using them and the shim that is behind it in the live axle diff.

As long as its a Ford BTR78 series diff that is.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:27 PM   #26
Rfordsfun

Hi fellas, So what set up does the 2002 au3 forte have ? I have my AU2 fairghia 3.45 lsd IRS, and am looking to transplant into a au3 2002 forte, plus do the lot interior electrics heater box, dash ecu bcm, engine trans, or will the double wish bone bolt straight to the au3 forte ? cheers. slapped a tree, bounced front wheel to back wheel, and mashing my rear quarter dog leg, fun times. expensively stupid. thanks in advance merry xmas HNY!!
Rfordsfun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post