Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #8731
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
My Mistake...

However, isn't Peter Costello Boss at nine propaganda entertainment??
The world's greatest treasurer? * Sure is. Chairman of the board.

* No correspondence will be entered into on this subject. I will never agree that Paul Keating was better
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #8732
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Australia is 'ahead of schedule' for COVID-19 vaccine plan

https://www.9news.com.au/health/covi...ll-out-_030121

Quote:
Australia is "ahead of schedule" in the federal plan to roll out a national COVID-19 vaccine, the country's Health Minister Greg Hunt has said.

Mr Hunt today announced the government has finalized its contract with Novavax - which will secure more than 40 million doses of the vaccine.

If proven to be successful and safe, the injection will be made available in the first half of 2021.

"We remain on track and ahead of schedule for our vaccine roll-out," he said.

Mr Hunt said the government would remain firm on the issue of voluntary vaccination, also ruling out the possibility of a 'no-jab-no-pay' policy.

Mr Hunt said voluntary vaccination remains an "important national principal".

"We have no plans to use that policy mechanism in this case," he said.

"We have no plans to vaccinate children and no plans whatsoever in order to use that particular mechanism."

Mr Hunt also announced more than $10 million in funding for six COVID-19 research projects including a new vaccine that does not require storage at ultra-cool temperatures.

The projects include an accelerated clinical trial of two 'next generation' vaccines against COVID-19.

The projects also include two recovery projects focusing on neurological and respiratory recovery for patients of COVID-19.

Another of the projects focuses on the use of ultraviolet light to reduce infection rates in aged care facilities.

Each of the grant recipients fall under the government's Medical Research Future Fund Clinical Trials Activity Initiative.

Australia has conducted more than 11.4 million COVID-19 tests since the beginning of the pandemic and there remains zero patients on ventilation around the country.

Mr Hunt congratulated the Australian community at a time where the global average remains at roughly 600,000 new infections per day.

"We've been tested, we've been challenged but so far, we've passed."
"We will get through this."

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 03-01-2021, 06:12 PM   #8733
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

And Israel is claiming a vaccination rate so far of 11.5%!

Will they be our next tourist “source”?
Old 03-01-2021, 07:09 PM   #8734
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Did I read that Israel developed their own vaccine, India manufactured theirs using external tech, link here

Interesting subject in the future about vaccine 'success' and then international interaction agreements

30 minute tests from Israel . where did that go

Last edited by Mr_G6ET; 03-01-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #8735
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Australia is 'ahead of schedule' for COVID-19 vaccine plan

https://www.9news.com.au/health/covi...ll-out-_030121
Given the annual flu vaccination uptake amongst the adult population is low it's good so see Mr Hunt recognising Covid vaccine uptake should be remain voluntary, not mandatory, and the government recognises NJNP and other measures will not be introduced.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:06 PM   #8736
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Which leads me to think, there is something concerning Canberra that perhaps we havent been privy to.
Wonder of it had anything to do with todays grenade thrown during the NSW presser?

The Berala cluster has 2000+ primary contacts, and 20'000+ secondary contacts on notice!! All linked to Berala BWS.

The Berala cluster is apparently a different virus strain to the Northern Beaches cluster. Dr Chant said NSW Health are "deeply concerned" about how quickly the Berala cluster has managed to transmit from person to person. Even though she refused to release exact details, it is rumoured that two workers working two different shifts at the Berala BWS were positive and infectious over about a 10 day period starting 22nd December.

The concern by NSW Health could be because the fact that customers who attended the BWS and have already tested positive said they spent a very minimal time in the store. Only got close to the positive store attendant when paying for items. And that it would have been less than a minute in front of them.

How can the virus transmit so quickly and easily? Surely there had to be Perspex screens, touch and go payments only, sanitising, masks, etc. etc? Is there a concern that this could be the UK strain?

Last edited by Tickford.; 03-01-2021 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:14 PM   #8737
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Wonder of it had anything to do with todays grenade thrown during the NSW presser?

The Berala cluster has 2000+ primary contacts, and 20'000+ secondary contacts on notice!! All linked to Berala BWS.

The Berala cluster is apparently a different virus strain to the Northern Beaches cluster. Dr Chant said NSW Health are "deeply concerned" about how quickly the Berala cluster has managed to transmit from person to person. Even though she refused to release details, it is rumoured that two workers working two different shifts at the Berala BWS were positive and infectious over about a 10 day period starting 22nd December.

The concern by NSW Health could be because the fact that customers who attended the BWS and have already tested positive said they spent a very minimal time in the store. Only got close to the positive store attendant when paying for items. And that it would have been less than a minute in front of them.

How can the virus transmit so quickly and easily? Surely there had to be Perspex screens, touch and go payments only, sanitising, masks, etc. etc? Is there a concern that this could be the UK strain?
Have you considered that the store attendant does something other than stand behind a counter all day - I didn't think so?

Perhaps they touched 100's of bottles of wine whilst filling the shelves, or perhaps they helped a customer load their car with their purchase (which could include one, or several of the those bottles of wine) or perhaps they stacked the 'Promo' display of Jim Beam etc etc...

Last edited by Beastie; 03-01-2021 at 10:28 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #8738
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Meanwhile... this photo was taken last night from inside the Sydney Coliseum Theatre.

2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2021, 10:19 PM   #8739
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Have you considered that the store attendant does something other than stand behind a counter all day - I didn't think so?

Perhaps they touched 100's of bottles of wine whilst filling the shelves, or perhaps they helped a customer load their car with their purchase (which could include one, or several of the those bottles of wine or perhaps they stacked the 'Promo' display of Jim Beam etc etc...
I did. That's why I mentioned the sanitizing.

But you may have a point. Maybe there was no hand sanitizer provided by the BWS store to customers? And possibly the attendants weren't wearing a mask at the time?
Old 03-01-2021, 10:24 PM   #8740
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Went to Bunnings this arvo. They had security turning away anyone without a mask.

I should have got some popcorn and stayed longer.

The looks on some peoples faces!! Mask?? What do you mean?? Since when??

When you say do some people live under a rock... the answer is apparently yes.

Tomorrow when fines start they are going to make an absolute killing...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
3 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2021, 10:25 PM   #8741
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Meanwhile... this photo was taken last night from inside the Sydney Coliseum Theatre.

That's ridiculous... we are our own worst enemy.

4 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2021, 10:28 PM   #8742
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

'We read about it in The Age': Virus-linked venue owners' concern at Health Department delay

Poor communication from the Victorian Health Department has left several Melbourne venue owners frustrated and concerned after coronavirus cases were connected with their premises.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...03-p56rgo.html
Old 03-01-2021, 10:41 PM   #8743
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
These are the specific time and dates related to the Berala BWS.

Given that NSW Health have specifically noted times an dates, I would guess they must be confident that these two attendants have not 'touched 100's of bottles of wine whilst filling the shelves, or perhaps stack the 'Promo' display of Jim Beam etc etc'?

Because if they had touched 100's of bottles of wines, filled the shelves, or stacked the promo display full of Jim Beam, etc, etc., the virus would still be on those surfaces and transmissible even when they were not working their respective shifts.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:48 PM   #8744
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

'For two days we've been turned away': Victorians facing long testing queues as state works to contain coronavirus outbreak

"We're seeing the wrong information being provided to people who have returned to Victoria. The government needs to fix this and fix this quickly,"

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...5-6a1b6601da2c
Old 03-01-2021, 10:54 PM   #8745
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

Given that NSW Health have specifically noted times an dates, I would guess they must be confident that these two attendants have not 'touched 100's of bottles of wine whilst filling the shelves, or perhaps stack the 'Promo' display of Jim Beam etc etc'?

Because if they had touched 100's of bottles of wines, filled the shelves, or stacked the promo display full of Jim Beam, etc, etc., the virus would still be on those surfaces and transmissible even when they were not working their respective shifts.
I really don't know what your problem is other than being bloody pedantic!

How about that the times posted were when the attendants were working, running bottles across the scanner and handing them to the customer.

Even you should realise that they would be serving hundreds of customers a day.

Perhaps you should get a life instead of trying to be the top poster in this thread.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:06 PM   #8746
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Most people pay electronically. How hard would it be to pinpoint exactly who shopped where in what time frame based on the payment information??

That would make more sense than simply urging people to do the right thing?

Old 03-01-2021, 11:08 PM   #8747
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:

To be brutally honest, I haven't been keeping up with the hourly updates.

Do you know when that specific update was communicated in relation to when the virus was potentially transmitted?

I'm guessing that it was after the fact...
Old 03-01-2021, 11:08 PM   #8748
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Most people pay electronically. How hard would it be to pinpoint exactly who shopped where in what time frame based on the payment information??

Do they legally have access to that data? I'd suggest not without some sort of court order.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:13 PM   #8749
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
To be brutally honest, I haven't been keeping up with the hourly updates.

Do you know when that specific update was communicated in relation to when the virus was potentially transmitted?

I'm guessing that it was after the fact...
Berala cluster details were released online late yesterday. Updated this morning and communicated to the public and media also this morning.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:24 PM   #8750
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Coronavirus: Thousands at risk from Berala BWS bottle-o cluster in Sydney's west

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sub...s&mode=premium

Thousands told to self-isolate as new Sydney cluster emerges
Quote:
Another serious breach of NSW's hotel quarantine program has sparked a new coronavirus cluster, with thousands who visited a bottle shop in Sydney's west over Christmas and New Year's being asked to self-isolate.

https://www.afr.com/policy/health-an...0210103-p56rep
Old 04-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #8751
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fancy that......

Old 04-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #8752
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Do they legally have access to that data? I'd suggest not without some sort of court order.
No, but in our electronic age it would take all of 5 minutes to find exactly who purchased something at a given time if they paid by EFTPOS.

But yes, you need a month of paperwork and applications to get that...

Old 04-01-2021, 10:54 AM   #8753
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Just curious if you have ever worked in retail?

During the day (when busy) or at the end of the day not most shops do what's called 'presentation' where items on the shelf are brought forward or re-arranged to be fully on display at the front of the shelf.

Given the time of festivities etc you would assume with that many customers buying stuff that presentation was done several times a day.

With that, almost every single item not at the front of the shelf in full customer view would have been grabbed and brought forward for proper presentation.

2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 11:19 AM   #8754
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There’s a lot of laws and regulation I hold in great contempt, but make a point of being fully informed about in order to make a choice I consider responsible.

Same with the locations/times flagged by NSW Health - I consider it socially responsible to check updates to the exposure list 2-3 times a day where possible, and if I know anyone who may be affected - to make sure they’re aware.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #8755
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 3rd, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

13 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.191%. NSW recorded 11 cases and Victoria recorded 3.

19 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.146% and active cases 72.

The UK had 54,490 cases yesterday and 454 deaths.

Just over 247k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,116 deaths sees CMR fall to 1.715% and active cases at 39.2% with the raw numbers rising and now over 8.1M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting):
Global cases pass 85M with the last 1M in 2 days;
Global deaths pass 1.85M with the last 50k in 4 days;
The USA passes 21M cases;
North America passes 24M cases;
The USA completes 258M, India 174M, France 36M, and Lebanon 2M tests.

Only -
Mozambique (341) - the previous high on 24/9;
Ireland (4,961) - 25% above the high yesterday; and
Canada (11,373)

recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #8756
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

NSW health has already stated they will use credit cards/ETF transfers to track down the people.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #8757
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

So, a couple of weeks back we looked at the USA modelling to see where numbers might be by the end of 2020.

We predicted somewhere between 20-21M cases and ~340k deaths while the actual numbers were 20.45M cases 354k deaths so cases were about right but the death rate has been a little higher than the models suggest.

Based on the current trends, the predicted numbers for the end of January are 32M cases in the USA and 480k deaths but you'd hope that both those targets aren't reached.

While we are modelling, the UK had been running below the best case trend line but overtook that in early November and is now running slightly above the worst case trend line to the point where they will be at 3.8M cases by the end of January if they don't get to terms with it (they are currently at 2.6M) which would be a 32% increase in only one month. The model for UK deaths is not as grim with the current trend line below the upper predictive model but still on target for about 90k by the end of January - still 15k more than they are at now.

We'll revisit those at the end of January to see how it really trended.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 04-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #8758
Itsme
Experienced Member

Geez I don't know what is worse! reading the news papers about covid19 updates or reading the 2nd hand news updates that get posted in this topic.
4 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 02:12 PM   #8759
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Same with the locations/times flagged by NSW Health - I consider it socially responsible to check updates to the exposure list 2-3 times a day where possible, and if I know anyone who may be affected - to make sure they’re aware.
Seems the Sydney outbreaks are happening quicker than you might be able to check against let alone the ones no one know about yet.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #8760
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

What's the latest on the vaccine. Does it actually stop you becoming infected or just the progression of the illness?

If it's the later how will that work? They can protect the aged/ill and let it rip though the rest of the population?