Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
prn31

Default V8 Accelerator Cable

Not sure whether this is a problem or not but I find it very difficult to modulate the throttle on my Series 3 V8 Fairmont wagon. The engine runs smoothly enough and I don’t have any hesitation or misses but it seems that I can’t maintain a steady throttle and I have to push the accelerator pedal harder than I would like resulting in the auto kicking down a gear. I suspect that this isn’t helping my fuel economy around town, which is about 17L/100.
Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a just a matter of lubricating the cable or something else?

prn31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: V8 Accelerator Cable

Generally the cables themselves dont present much of a problem as its a fairly simple mechanism. If youre having issues with the car having to 'kick down' a gear I'd suggest that the problem may be a gearbox issue or something else.
Old 17-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
prn31

Thanks b2tf. I don't have a gearbox issue. I just have a sensitive right foot. I suspect that that the cable is sticking slightly, or maybe they are a bit heavy to start with?

I do know that when diagnosing other issues I can't maintain a constant throttle position at say 1000rpm.

I suppose I should lubricate or adjust the cable - how do I go about that?
prn31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry i don`t have an 8 (wish i did ), usually they are secured in a fairly simple matter, probably a single bolt through a bracket near the cable end, on my six that`s all it has from memory and then it`s is a matter of just moving the cable and sliding the ball on the end out of it`s holder, a bit of light machine oil allowed to run down the cable while working it in and out to the inner or a bit of wd 40 with the little spray pipe on the end might do the job, i do mine every couple of years, if it`s got to the stage where the cable is really hard to move in and out and the lube does`nt work it may be time for a new cable.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

the throttle cable in my AU2 ghia v8 is the same, my AU3 is fine. It makes you take off a little brisker than you were intending. Also if it makes you feel better my peak hour economy in that car is 19.4L/100 lol!
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the same problem in my series II XR8 manual!!
trying to just gently feather the throttle ever so lightly like around a round about or just throttling back on again gently, the throttle seems to stick a little at the start of its travel.
it's either full on, resulting in a big surge of power that you dont want, or nothing
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

It is possible for the cable to bind in the sheath. Wouldn't hurt to replace it.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a sticking cable in the T2 and used silicone spray to free it up.
Works a treat and a nice responsive pedal again.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post