Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 10-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Cyborg1978

Default 3k oil change?

Hi forum members
my fez is comming up to it's 3k service. I hear some people opt to change the oil and fillter at this service. I'm just wondering is it worth it? Should I go for sythetic? And should I do the gear box as well, considering I have crunched reverse twice.

Cyborg1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...fiesta+service

i think there are a couple of threads on first service oil change... some changed the oil. some havent. the dealers say you dont have too... anyway...
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...fiesta+service

i think there are a couple of threads on first service oil change... some changed the oil. some havent. the dealers say you dont have too... anyway...
You don't need to change the oil but I want to do it as a precaution of running-in. I have been researching oils lately and understand why oil changes are now further apart, I believe personally that the crap that comes from machining and assembly of the engine will be floating around needs a change after 5,000Km's. You don't nessesarilly need to change the filter because of the way they are designed, if you decide to do this as well it is understandable.

If you want to use a full Synthetic oil I would be changing the filter, the old problem of Synthetic not mixing with Mineral oil is no longer an issue but it would pay to keep it all the same.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Cyborg1978

Thanks for the advice members. I think I will change the oil and fillter, from what I can find on the net there is no harm in it. The only question that is really debated is to go synthetic or not? So many different opinions all for food reasons.
Does any one know if there is a oil fillter for the manual gear box?

Thanks all for your feed back.
Cyborg1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Would a gear oil change be necessary after such few kms?

I too have crunched the gearbox a couple of times (being lazy), and my WS has 10,000kms on the clock. I changed the engine oil at 7500kms to full synthetic, but I was not going to bother touching the gear oil until it's recommended service interval.

Advice on this?
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post