Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Help with new car choice

Ok, so like most car obsessed people I am the usual go-to for advice for any family or friends who are looking for a car.

My uncle emailed me asking for some advice , he is looking at spending 40grand on a new Maxima to replace his old Verada.

I have steered him towards instead the following: Falcon G6 EcoLPI, G6 Ecoboost and a Territory TX diesel RWD. He will save a lot in fuel over the Maxima and they will be a much better drive and also help support local Ford production - which he appreciates somewhat.

The thing is, he won't test drive them (he was just going to order the Maxima without even sitting in it) he will order from a small dealer and he thinks they won't have any in stock. His driving is mostly freeway and he is in early sixties, he also sometimes tows a very small box trailer.

Has anyone got any real world expierence across the three? I own a EcoLPI so I'm comfortable vouching for it, but I feel in sedan form Ecoboost is probably better due to spare wheel issue. Obviously Territory is also a great choice.

I've read some reviews, but am curious as to the real world differences across the three.

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Help with new car choice

the ecoboost is great you don't know it's a 4 .It has great acceleration and is very well behaved on the road my partner is looking at buying 2 G6E EBs for hire cars in the next few months.
I recomended she test drove on and she laughed when I said it was a 6cyl falcon ( till she drove it) she was so impressed it went from the bottom of her list to the top
the G6 is currently available with leather and other goodies at no extra cost

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Territory is a good choice if his mobility is not as good as it used to be. A guy I know has a bad back (concreter) and he likes the fact he does not have to bend to get in his Territory. Also, make him drive a diesel Territory, people have no idea how good they are until they drive one.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Resale would probably be at it's best with a Territory too. If that is important to him.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would probably recommend he take a drive of maybe a few different cars. Hyundai i40 sedan/ix35. Honda Accord V6/Euro. Mazda CX5/6.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post