Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Car Detailers Might be Out of Business

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/07...leaning-paint/

Quote:
Researchers Developing Self-Cleaning Coating for Cars
By Doug NewcombEmail Author07.24.12 5:14 PM
|
Depending on your relationship with cars, keeping your ride clean is either a ritual act of OCD TLC or you put it off until some wise guy writes “Wash Me” on your back window. If you’re part of the latter group, researchers at Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands (or TU/e for short) may have rescued you from spending time with a bucket and hose by developing a surface coating that not only repairs itself of small scratches but is also self-cleaning.

Self-repairing surfaces and water-resistant coatings aren’t new. Nissan has offered a self-healing Scratch Guard Coat on its cars for several years, and the automaker recently included the technology in a Beta test of a scratch-repairing iPhone case. Three years ago, researchers at the University of Southern Mississippi created a polyurethane coating for cars that heals itself when exposed to sunlight. The science behind most self-healing coatings involves implanting nano-capsules that mimic the way human skin repairs itself: The nano-capsules rupture when a scratch occurs and send healing agents into the damaged area of an electroplated coating.

While current applications of the technology lose their self-healing and water-resistant properties over time, Dr. Catarina Esteves, an assistant professor of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry at TU/e, and several colleagues developed a way to keep nano-capsules in self-healing coatings vigilant and vibrant for longer. And keep their surfaces cleaner to boot.

The team developed nano-capsule surfaces with special “stalks” that are mixed throughout the coating, and at their ends contain the functional chemical groups needed for self-repair.

When the outer surface layer becomes detached by wear and tear or a scratch, stalks in the underlying layer reorient to the renew surface and restore the original function and finish. One of the applications for the technology is a highly water-resistant coating that maintains its self-cleaning property longer, making it possible for even slobs to have cleaner cars. Small “that’ll buff right out” type scratches are self-repaired, and water droplets simply roll off the car – taking dirt along with them. So instead of avoiding driving a clean car in the rain, with the TU/e technology an occasional shower is all it takes to maintain a reasonably dirt-free ride. Obviously, this won’t do much good for car-loving Southern Californians and others in the desert Southwest, and no word on whether the self-cleaning properties will last an entire winter.

The benefits of the technology extend beyond just the pleasant and temporal feeling of having a clean car. Other applications could include keeping skylights and solar panels cleaner longer, and it could also be a bonus to airlines and the environment since a cleaner aircraft surface means less air resistance, and reduced fuel consumption.

While the new technology could be a boon for lazy car owners, it still won’t help total klutzes as the self-repairing capabilities are only effective on superficial scratches that don’t completely penetrate the coating. And it won’t be putting car washes out of business anytime soon either. Esteves and her colleagues plan to further develop the technology with other universities and industrial partners (and at prices comparable to those of today’s coatings), but the researchers claim that the first coatings of this type won’t be ready for production for six to eight years.
Old 21-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car Detailers Might be Out of Business

Interesting. However I enjoy taking proper care of my car and would be fossa dissapointed if I no longer had to. Be good for the mrs car though.

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes87
Interesting. However I enjoy taking proper care of my car and would be fossa dissapointed if I no longer had to. Be good for the mrs car though.
Totally agree, i love the entire"detail" i give my fords every week...
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I am already using coatings like this on my customers cars. Its just another feather in the cap. Whilst it suits many customers applications its also the complete opposite of others. Those that want to detail their cars above and beyond the wash step will be out of luck.
You still need to wash the car regularly and even with the latest and greatest techs in protection it still need to be maintained. Road grime generally still builds up on the paint over a 6 month period and inhibits the coats cleaning properties, including the water beading. You also cant wax the car as it wont stick properly. Waxes also look better when applied as the new coatings tend to be very sterile looking.
As for the scratch resistance, its more a play on words. The coating is very tough, yes, but if its not very thick its pretty easy to penetrate still.

As for Nissans self healing paint,

Really? I think my customers GTR would disagree.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Totally agree, i love the entire"detail" i give my fords every week...
I wash my car EVERY year whether it needs it or not......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I wash my car EVERY year whether it needs it or not......
That often??? pffft.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Car Detailers Might be Out of Business

Self repairing eh
sounds a bit like "Christine"
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post