Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
johnsmith

Default Is a full size spare tire worth it, and how much should I pay for it?

Hi guys,

Very excited as i've just ordered a Mark 2 XR6 Limited Edition, in Mars Red!

Just wondering if a full size space alloy wheel is worth the money compared to the space saver spare - Dealer offered it too me for $500. Is this good value?

Cheers

Old 23-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is a full size spare tire worth it, and how much should I pay for it?

I would say yes a full spare is better IMO than a space saver. $500 sounds like an ok price for the rim.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Default Re: Is a full size spare tire worth it, and how much should I pay for it?

Lol space saver. Might as well drive on nothing

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

Old 23-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
stang65
FPRJET

If you want to save a few bucks probably pick up a wheel on the forum or eBay, if your not in a hurry.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get the spare...good insurance against a pot hole or something damaging one of your original four...touch wood!

plus what if you are out the back of woop woop? you don't want to be driving around on a space saver for any distance if you get a flat
Old 23-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Full size proper spare will be safer to drive on so yes, i say its worth it mate.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 23-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it includes the proper boot carpet to suit, then its worth it. (which is worth a couple of hundred on its own IIRC) Otherwise without the carpet, the full sized spare doesnt fit properly, and makes the already cheap looking boot, absolutely awful..
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$500 is a bit much. You will be able to pick up a rim that fits with a new tyre from Bob Jane or where ever for maybe $200-250.

Remember it is just a spare so if it is a different pattern it does not matter and even if it is exactly the same as your current rims it will be backwards when replacing two of the wheels.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
$500 is a bit much. You will be able to pick up a rim that fits with a new tyre from Bob Jane or where ever for maybe $200-250.

Remember it is just a spare so if it is a different pattern it does not matter and even if it is exactly the same as your current rims it will be backwards when replacing two of the wheels.

You have to e joking right? The tyre alone is worth $380... Rim anywhere between $800 and $1000 knowing Ford. The $500 will be paid just about when due for new tyres as you will only need to buy 3.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 24-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

A Space Saver is fine in the city. Full Size if you do lots of long-distance drivers or drive on gravel roads frequently. $500 does seem reasonable for an OEM wheelwith tyre. I've had my BA XR8 for nearly 10 years and NEVER blown a tyre.

You could sit back and wait for the same to appear on eBay with tyre, but I doubt you'd get a better price for the next couple of years. And if you're financing, get it now and it's on your finance, whereas you'd have to stump up you own cash to get it later.

Lukeyson
Old 24-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
You have to e joking right? The tyre alone is worth $380... Rim anywhere between $800 and $1000 knowing Ford. The $500 will be paid just about when due for new tyres as you will only need to buy 3.
You may want to visit a tyre shop.

It is an XR6 not a GT and apart from new rims that will fit but look different (which is unimportant as it is just a spare) many tyre shops have lots of almost new XR/SS/whatever OEM rims fitted with OEM tyres that have been traded on bling rims with rubber band tyres by people who want their care to look "special".

Often you can buy a full set of 4 for $1000.
Old 24-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
You may want to visit a tyre shop.

It is an XR6 not a GT and apart from new rims that will fit but look different (which is unimportant as it is just a spare) many tyre shops have lots of almost new XR/SS/whatever OEM rims fitted with OEM tyres that have been traded on bling rims with rubber band tyres by people who want their care to look "special".

Often you can buy a full set of 4 for $1000.
Yes but they will not be the same as what the cars running, plus as I have said when it comes time to replace his 19 inch tyres he will already have 1 ready. If he scrapes a rim or damages one he will also have one spare! $500 now is alot cheaper then $1300 later.

Not really rocket science is it?
Old 24-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Get the full size steel spare wheel. Its a no cost option (yes you read right- NO cost option) where as the alloy one is pricey
Old 24-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ford and Holden dealers at Rocky both said the same thing to us when we were car shopping back in February last year.
They automatically fit a matching spare as a no cost option (or they did at the time) as they faced the reality that many of thier buyers were from areas well outside the city, and could potentially be hundreds of kilometers from a tyre shop, much less one stocking their particular tyre given the ridiculous large size of some new car wheels. The wheel well in the boot of our FG could easily fit a tyre much larger than the 19" one that's in there, and given the price the factory would pay for wheels in bulk, there's no excuse not to put a real spare tyre in there.

Our G6E came with a matching 19" turbo wheel. We've had two flats (one tyre blew, the other had a slow leak) at the same time and had to drive 150km to the nearest tyre place. You simply couldn't have done it (legally or safely) with a space saver.

They should call them "money savers"...for the factory.
Old 24-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Yes but they will not be the same as what the cars running, plus as I have said when it comes time to replace his 19 inch tyres he will already have 1 ready. If he scrapes a rim or damages one he will also have one spare! $500 now is alot cheaper then $1300 later.

Not really rocket science is it?
No it is basic automobile ownership.

Firstly why could the tyre shop replacement not be exactly what he has on the new car after all many on here replace their brand new rims.

Secondly replacing 3 tyres and then using the spare which is a different age from a different batch and possible a completely different factory to save a couple of dollars is not really a good idea and would only work if the new tyres were the same brand and model as the OEM.

Thirdly he was looking for other cheaper options. Maybe he has to pay for it out of his own money.
Old 24-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as a future second owner of your car I would expect to see a full size spare.
Old 24-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Full sized spare, Driving on space saver is horrible let alone the look and the speed limit.
Old 24-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #18
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

id get it because the new limited wheel is a different colour to the standard 19 so finding one to match later will be a pain
Old 24-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ill go against the grain of comments. And recommd the space saver.
if you do happen to think you be suffering from tyres blowing out perhaps get a regular falcon spare. most spares are never used, and often have no tyre pressure when required..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 24-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
if you do happen to think you be suffering from tyres blowing out perhaps get a regular falcon spare. most spares are never used, and often have no tyre pressure when required..
While that is sometimes true it is a good idea to check the spare pressure at least every second or third time you check you tyre pressure.

As far as the space saver, my datto had one and I ran over a nail about 400km from home (west of Kingaroy) on a wet day.
Driving 400km at 60-80km/h with significantly reduced grip and "interesting" cornering got very boring after the first 10 minutes or so.
My XRT now has a full size albeit steel rim spare.
Old 24-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #21
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Note maximum speed for a space saver is 80kph and they are not designed to drive 400km. (needs to be taken into consideration)
I have a can of goo for that nail that will cause the tyre to go completly flat.., (but often its a slow leak so you should have time to hope servo to servo)
Old 24-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Note maximum speed for a space saver is 80kph and they are not designed to drive 400km. (needs to be taken into consideration)
I have a can of goo for that nail that will cause the tyre to go completly flat.., (but often its a slow leak so you should have time to hope servo to servo)
While 400km is a bloody long way on the space spare what was plan B?
Not everyone lives in Victoria with a servo every 10 minutes.
Old 24-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #23
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Its called an air compressor, all cars should have either an air compressor or hand/foot pump in the boot IMO.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
Old 24-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No it is basic automobile ownership.

Firstly why could the tyre shop replacement not be exactly what he has on the new car after all many on here replace their brand new rims.

Secondly replacing 3 tyres and then using the spare which is a different age from a different batch and possible a completely different factory to save a couple of dollars is not really a good idea and would only work if the new tyres were the same brand and model as the OEM.

Thirdly he was looking for other cheaper options. Maybe he has to pay for it out of his own money.
He is buying a Limited Edition with a special 19 inch rim. I am sure your not going to see those down at Bob Jane anytime soon, not for $1000 anyways.

Plus if you put a 17 inch spare in the boot you can only travel at 80 kms (because its not the same size as the 19 fitted to the car. Bit of a waste of time really.

Not to mention the fact that a full size wheel will not fit in the boot anyways without replacing the carpet, the space savers have a different carpet... Rocket science 101 yet again.
Old 24-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get a full size rim... even if it doesnt match what you have.

A lot of people drive for DAYS on a space saver because they are "too busy" to get the flat one replaced....

If you hit a freeway think how great it'll be stuck at low speeds.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 24-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #26
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my two bobs worth.......go full size.....cheap at twice the price

we got the "space saver".....not very impressed

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 24-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #27
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
While 400km is a bloody long way on the space spare what was plan B?
Not everyone lives in Victoria with a servo every 10 minutes.
read my posts
plan B can of goo.
also mentioned Nails often give a slow leak no need to stop every 10 mins

& my advice was if to the O/P was if they found themselves worrying about getting blowouts get a full size regular spare. (which I thought was aggreeing with you)

so relax..
Old 24-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #28
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I used to feel the same that I should carry a full size spare. So I bought one for my old WRX and for years I carted the stupid thing around and had less boot space. Finally I decide to get rid of it and put the space saver back in. I sold the car in March this year and not once in my 12 years of ownership did I use the spare.
Even my wife's WRX is now 11 years old and it's never had to use the space saver either.

So with my XR50 I was happy enough to have the space saver and have some extra boot space.

If I did a lot of country driving, I would consider the full size spare but even then I've driven all around the south island in NZ, from Brisbane to Sydney multiple times, Brisbane to Melbourne, Brisbane to Cairns etc all with no flat tyres.

P.S. Congrats on the new car!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #29
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly
I used to feel the same that I should carry a full size spare. So I bought one for my old WRX and for years I carted the stupid thing around and had less boot space. Finally I decide to get rid of it and put the space saver back in. I sold the car in March this year and not once in my 12 years of ownership did I use the spare.
Even my wife's WRX is now 11 years old and it's never had to use the space saver either.

So with my XR50 I was happy enough to have the space saver and have some extra boot space.

If I did a lot of country driving, I would consider the full size spare but even then I've driven all around the south island in NZ, from Brisbane to Sydney multiple times, Brisbane to Melbourne, Brisbane to Cairns etc all with no flat tyres.
With the FG there is really not much boot space lost at all with a full size spare. It all fits into the spare wheel well. Besides if you damage a wheel, you then have a another of the same type. Its a bargain at $250 which is the usual price.

BTW, why are there two threads on this? http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11377590
Old 24-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #30
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Full spare. In the past month I've used my spare 3 times. I have no choice since I have Brembos so I have to run a full spare but given the PITA it's been on all 3 occasions (all night time and full flat not slow leak), I'd insist that any future car I drive has a full spare.
Closed Thread