Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #31
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Default Re: Marriage - Bliss or Prison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post

People get together because they want to have sex. It takes 2 - 3 years for the novelty to wear off .
Your doing it wrong.....
Old 25-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #32
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

I'm surprised most of you are still going at it after marriage. lol Fresh marriages Give it a few years. you'd be lucky to get it twice a week.
Old 25-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #33
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post
I'm surprised most of you are still going at it after marriage. lol Fresh marriages Give it a few years. you'd be lucky to get it twice a week month.
Fixed

Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #34
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post
I'm surprised most of you are still going at it after marriage. lol Fresh marriages Give it a few years. menopause you'd be lucky to get it twice a week month.
More fixed.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

If its not your birthday or anniversary, you are getting more than your fair share

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #36
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
If its not your birthday or anniversary, you are getting more than your fair share
hahaha I laugh because its half true.

On the up side you dont have to worry about picking up anymore
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #37
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
hahaha I laugh because its half true.

On the up side you dont have to worry about picking up anymore
The only picking up you end up doing is your kids from school every afternoon.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #38
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Bliss or Prison...

Somewhere in between for mine.

I've been Married for 16years this coming Friday, been together for 28yrs last December and got together when she was 14 and I 15, we have 4 children ranging from 8 to 21.
We disagree occasionally and we both win and lose those disagreements when they happen, but we always acknowledge when the other is correct and admit our faults and I think this is key to why we've lasted so long, some people never argue and when they do its so out of nature that it signals a change in the relationship which can allow doubt to enter.

My Wife is my best friend and I am hers and this is something we say regularly.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #39
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if your wife has cut you off just cheat. as long as you're not a fat loser 30 year olds are lining up
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2020, 07:00 PM   #40
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Gumball!!!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #41
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being single is bliss. Something’s only an issue if I say it is. Women find issues with everything, never happy or content.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #42
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish the difference between "completed" and "finished".

But if you marry the right woman you will feel completed.... Marry the wrong one and you will be finished!
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
Not sure why kids are brought into it from the posts above. If you don't love your kids and think they are the best thing that has happened to you in your life you have a problem.
Its an interesting position, I asked the question elsewhere that if you could go back in time would you still have kids and it caused offense

Unrelated to GT0132 above but I think there is too much emphasis by our society on 'happily ever after' and 'until death' - why can't it be acceptable that it ran its course over X duration and it was OK while it worked and that one (or both) have just moved on because it no longer works?

I feel that there is a lot of shock over divorces that have happened over decades, whats wrong with looking at it from the perspective that it was great over 5, 10, 15, 20 years etc?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #44
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I've been with my missus since 2000 and thank my lucky stars every day that I found someone who puts up with this grumpy old git day in and day out, gets into to bed with me every night and never says no without good reason. I try to keep her happy whenever and wherever I can and tell her I love her every night before we go to sleep and she me.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #45
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
Just curious,

For those married guys or those in long term living arrangements with women. Would you change your life?
Do you think it's a prison or heaven. Can you do as you want or is there the prison guard to take approval

whats your take?
I’m making the assumption your either thinking of taking the plunge or your already in a dive! This may help your decision making process.

https://youtu.be/bbpGkrViOcE

On a more serious note mate, people have to be good by themselves before your good in a relationship. I have a good mate who just can’t be by himself, top bloke but he drives women crazy .. eventually. He’s got the talk he’s got the job, but he’s a dead loss. If he was a chick he would be a Tiffany ( refer above video) . I’ve been thru it all, I openly admit I was wrong in getting married the first time, good lady, great kids but we were different in many ways, I was career driven, young , and pretty crappy at communicating what was in my mind. Years down the track we are now top mates and get along really well. I always feel bad for doing her wrong. I’m wiser from the experience and I’m not backwards at coming forwards these days and communicating what’s on my mind. My present gal has no kids, been together for years, both independant, know what we are and give each other space, which I really enjoy and so does she. This wouldn’t work for a lot of blokes but it suits us. She travels a lot, previous BFs didn’t like that, constantly asking what she was doing and with who etc etc. pretty insecure bloke stuff. Had to have a good chat with her ex Bf but he’s clear on the subject nowadays.
At the end of the day you make it what you make it. Be honest to yourself and then take a step back and find a good gal, not just a good shag ,a good mate or someone with similar direction in life...you need all of that! If it doesnt feel right have a long hard think.

Last edited by XByoot; 14-03-2020 at 09:51 PM.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2020, 10:07 PM   #46
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Just remember a few things.

Around half marriages / relationships end in divorce / separation. We live in a disposable, selfish society so that figure is not a surprise.

As a male, you have no rights to fairness whatsoever if things go sour.

The system is currently set up in such a way that an evil and vindictive female can totally destroy her partner with the full support of the legal system, police and child support.

Assets you had will now be hers, kids you have will be hers, etc.

She can lie, manipulate the situation, cheat, steal, have affairs, stop you from seeing your kids, kick you out of your own house, get help and support from countless community agencies and all the while if she has ulterior motives or mental illness she will get away with it with a smile and full support.

Should you complain, object, tell her friends or... do the same to her you will be torn apart by anyone and everyone. In fact, it will be used against you as proof of how bad a person you are. Yet, a blind eye is turned had the roles been reversed.

Just let that sink in before you make any decisions.

I'll say that again. If you are a bloke and your Mrs wakes up one morning and decides she wants to totally destroy you she can and there is not a thing you can do about it.

Having an affair, cleaning out bank accounts, lying (to anyone, including Police and courts), withholding children etc isn't against the law, and has no bearing on court cases. In actual fact it's endorsed in some of the above circles.

So, as a female, what have you to lose?

If you have kids - even better for her. If you had assets and she had none, she has just won the jackpot.

And remember - your only recourse is to hope she cares enough to cut you some slack.

Other than that - spend around $200k in court spread over 5 years and you may hopefully get 1/3rd of what ever you thought was 'fair and reasonable'.

Don't ask me how I know...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2020, 11:05 PM   #47
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Its an interesting position, I asked the question elsewhere that if you could go back in time would you still have kids and it caused offense

Unrelated to GT0132 above but I think there is too much emphasis by our society on 'happily ever after' and 'until death' - why can't it be acceptable that it ran its course over X duration and it was OK while it worked and that one (or both) have just moved on because it no longer works?

I feel that there is a lot of shock over divorces that have happened over decades, whats wrong with looking at it from the perspective that it was great over 5, 10, 15, 20 years etc?
I like the way you think mate! Plenty of people suffer in a relationship due to the financial or emotional risk of divorce so they just tolerate things as they are. I’d rather dig a fish hook out of my eye. Of course you try and try hard, but sometimes it just doesn’t work out and life ain’t a rehearsal.
My gal and I had a break a while back, interesting to see how people behave. I was very much like you say, “it’s been great, we tried, had great times “ but it wasn’t working due to her family ties, long story but try living with a “9 hot and 11 crazy” cousin your partner decides to take under wing without full discussion, what can I say, shes Italian and family first! This chick was a total nightmare, quite sad really, she was looking for a mother figure to control, saw me as a threat and did everything she could to make it hard. I’m too old for stupid games like that. She won the battle but lost the war .
We sorted it all out in the end, the cousin overstepped the mark big time and got flicked out and I reckon the GF are better for the experience. One thing I noticed was she never tried to come after me financially, which would be unlikely anyways, no kids, dual income etc. ( never date a woman who has no assets to her name after being on this earth for a period of time) It’s an honest relationship, we can both walk anytime we like, that’s been proven, but we stay together because we want to...plus she has a hot cousin

By the way, my kids are grown up now and they are awesome . They were turds at times, just like me I guess!
3 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2020, 12:37 AM   #48
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

I think we are better suited to serial monogamy than 'forever' relationships.

If your wedding day is the best day of your life, then it is all down hill from there.

I've been happily married for six years (since 1996).

Talking among my peers, only the single guys are getting any.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2020, 12:47 AM   #49
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post

I was hoping for that link.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #50
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
I've been with my missus since 2000 and thank my lucky stars every day that I found someone who puts up with this grumpy old git day in and day out, gets into to bed with me every night and never says no without good reason. I try to keep her happy whenever and wherever I can and tell her I love her every night before we go to sleep and she me.
Has she got a sister?
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
I think we are better suited to serial monogamy than 'forever' relationships.

If your wedding day is the best day of your life, then it is all down hill from there.

I've been happily married for six years (since 1996).

Talking among my peers, only the single guys are getting any.
There's plenty of married guys getting some - just not with the wife
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2020, 12:21 PM   #52
KobiXR6T

How do you know when your girlfriend is getting fat?

...she fits the wifes clothes!!

Good thread! Lots of good info in here. I think communication is the big one. A lot of us blokes aren't really great at saying what we want or feel. A lot of women aren't that great at being honest about it with us either.

I always found I could make any relationship work. It just depended on what you were willing to sacrifice for that relationship, and how you felt about those sacrifices. A good partner will be on the same page. There will be compromise, but it will be balanced.

People change, situations change, time keeps changing. Nothing wrong with periodically evaluating your relationship and making sure both still want to keep on down the path together. I figure thats a better option than just sticking it out unhappily until reaching a point where one party looks elsewhere.
KobiXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #53
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post

I was hoping for that link.
Yeah I couldn’t resist! Tell you what, I went out for a few too many beers the other night with a few mates. I love observing the species and I can vouch that his crazy/hot theory is extremely accurate! I get that some pubs etc aren’t the best place to meet a future partner, but man there’s some spinners out there! It made me very happy to be in a relationship. All I kept thinking was if my gal walked into that bar I’d crawl over broken glass and every other person in there to get to her! Her smile and eyes still get me every time. That being said there’s still plenty of nice ones too, just not in the places we went
Old 15-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #54
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobiXR6T View Post
How do you know when your girlfriend is getting fat?

...she fits the wifes clothes!!

Good thread! Lots of good info in here. I think communication is the big one. A lot of us blokes aren't really great at saying what we want or feel. A lot of women aren't that great at being honest about it with us either.

I always found I could make any relationship work. It just depended on what you were willing to sacrifice for that relationship, and how you felt about those sacrifices. A good partner will be on the same page. There will be compromise, but it will be balanced.

People change, situations change, time keeps changing. Nothing wrong with periodically evaluating your relationship and making sure both still want to keep on down the path together. I figure thats a better option than just sticking it out unhappily until reaching a point where one party looks elsewhere.

Very well said mate
Old 15-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #55
MercuryT
Banned

Prison is like heaven compared to marriage : )
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #56
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Just remember a few things.

Around half marriages / relationships end in divorce / separation. We live in a disposable, selfish society so that figure is not a surprise.

As a male, you have no rights to fairness whatsoever if things go sour.

The system is currently set up in such a way that an evil and vindictive female can totally destroy her partner with the full support of the legal system, police and child support.

Assets you had will now be hers, kids you have will be hers, etc.

She can lie, manipulate the situation, cheat, steal, have affairs, stop you from seeing your kids, kick you out of your own house, get help and support from countless community agencies and all the while if she has ulterior motives or mental illness she will get away with it with a smile and full support.

Should you complain, object, tell her friends or... do the same to her you will be torn apart by anyone and everyone. In fact, it will be used against you as proof of how bad a person you are. Yet, a blind eye is turned had the roles been reversed.

Just let that sink in before you make any decisions.

I'll say that again. If you are a bloke and your Mrs wakes up one morning and decides she wants to totally destroy you she can and there is not a thing you can do about it.

Having an affair, cleaning out bank accounts, lying (to anyone, including Police and courts), withholding children etc isn't against the law, and has no bearing on court cases. In actual fact it's endorsed in some of the above circles.

So, as a female, what have you to lose?

If you have kids - even better for her. If you had assets and she had none, she has just won the jackpot.

And remember - your only recourse is to hope she cares enough to cut you some slack.

Other than that - spend around $200k in court spread over 5 years and you may hopefully get 1/3rd of what ever you thought was 'fair and reasonable'.

Don't ask me how I know...
I have watched a work colleague go through mostly what you have just described. It makes me both sad and angry, this person is one of the most docile and kind people you would ever meet.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #57
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb fgxr6 View Post
i have watched a work colleague go through mostly what you have just described. It makes me both sad and angry, this person is one of the most docile and kind people you would ever meet.
never get married.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2020, 05:55 PM   #58
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Prison is like heaven compared to marriage : )
And you get early parole for good behavior
3 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #59
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
never get married.
Same if you just shack up with someone these days.

Before you get serious, go speak to an accountant and lawyer and ask how to structure your affairs so the other half gets as little as possible if things go sour.

Then, following that get a pre-nup.

Don't be shy about it. The same person that gets offended because you don't trust them will happily pay a lawyer $450 per hour to get whatever they can out if you.

And courts just love to please women...

I was once quite a wealthy person with not a care in the world....

Next week after my mortgage comes out of my account I'll have $40 in my wallet and that's it.

All because I trusted my partner... Big effing mistake.

And I consider myself lucky. I had a supportive family and a never say die attitude.

For every 1-2 woman that suicides there are 7-8 men on average per day.

Do you wonder why that is?

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 15-03-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2020, 07:54 PM   #60
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Same if you just shack up with someone these days.

Before you get serious, go speak to an accountant and lawyer and ask how to structure your affairs so the other half gets as little as possible if things go sour.

Then, following that get a pre-nup.

Don't be shy about it. The same person that gets offended because you don't trust them will happily pay a lawyer $450 per hour to get whatever they can out if you.

And courts just love to please women...

I was once quite a wealthy person with not a care in the world....

Next week after my mortgage comes out of my account I'll have $40 in my wallet and that's it.

All because I trusted my partner... Big effing mistake.

And I consider myself lucky. I had a supportive family and a never say die attitude.

For every 1-2 woman that suicides there are 7-8 men on average per day.

Do you wonder why that is?

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk
So what did you do to get her offside
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post