Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default ABC - Operation Buffalo

Quite an interesting show on the ABC which probably has been gear to entertainment as much as fact.

If even 50% of what is presented on the show is accurate then bloody hell that project was a bit loose. Still the humour is good and its generally interesting.

ABC seems to be producing some pretty good shows/mini series of late.

I may do a small book search to see if there is other literature on the subject (which is unusual for me, not a huge novel reader).
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #2
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ABC - Operation Buffalo

And if you asked any younger Australian if nuclear weapons, or ICBMs were ever used in Australia, the answer would be a horrified “No”.
It was generally known then, but all secret squirrel, and (hard to believe now) mobile phones, instant social media, TV, up to date newspapers, righteous protesters, etc, were science fiction back then.

I was a kid/teenager who lived in far western Qld during the time of the tests, and every now and again we would get unexplained dust storms with little wind that Mum used to complain about because of the dust which would just settle on everything.
Dad worked out in the Channel Country, camping out at night, and he swore that he could see the rocket testing trails in the night sky.
Aborigines in the testing area were not classed as humans, they were ‘fauna’. Typical English attitude to the disposable inhabitants of their ‘colonies’ at the time. Think of the use of Aussie troops during WW1 and WW2.

As the series states, it is historical fiction, but some of the bad stuff is true.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
zilo
BANNED

"Typical English attitude to the disposable inhabitants of their ‘colonies’ at the time. Think of the use of Aussie troops during WW1 and WW2."

The release of Lizzy Mountbattens letters to the Governor general in 1975 will reveal serious flaws with our colonial german masters I think.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
Trevor 57
is now there

Started watching it but turned off after first show, too much of the 'fictional drama' in it for me, if it was more factual than made up I would watch it - hookers out there on a plane REALLY??????
Old 16-06-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

But how would you/we know Trev? And given some of the things that still happen in todays world it would be entirely possible IMO.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Two books stick in my mind for their exposition of then-current attitudes to people and the land within Central Australia. One was by Len Beadell, and like many of his tales was probably a bit on the hyperbole side but included descriptions of tests at (IIRC) Maralinga. The other book was a biography by Keith Willey, of a chap called Matt Savage. Ira’s anecdotal comments fit well with both of the above.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

True of Lie, on the surface its not a bad show so far.

Reminds me of the nuclear armed RN warship Nottingham which ran aground and towed backwards into Newcastle harbour several years back now.
Everyone in Newcastle was assured by Govco it didn't have any nukes on board and the whole crew were flown back to Blighty however for months, a good friend of ours who drove for Sidd Fogg coaches was ferrying crew between Carrington docks and Williamtown RAAF base.
He was told they were readying the ship for the drydock transport ship with its NA, RN sister ship arriving (unannounced, under dark) to load up it very real nuclear arsenal.
They were very close to loosing the ship altogether just outside Newcastle when it almost turned turtle under tow.
The mate got me a T shirt from one of the crew I still have.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #8
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
True of Lie, on the surface its not a bad show so far.

Reminds me of the nuclear armed RN warship Nottingham which ran aground and towed backwards into Newcastle harbour several years back now.
Everyone in Newcastle was assured by Govco it didn't have any nukes on board and the whole crew were flown back to Blighty however for months, a good friend of ours who drove for Sidd Fogg coaches was ferrying crew between Carrington docks and Williamtown RAAF base.
He was told they were readying the ship for the drydock transport ship with its NA, RN sister ship arriving (unannounced, under dark) to load up it very real nuclear arsenal.
They were very close to loosing the ship altogether just outside Newcastle when it almost turned turtle under tow.
The mate got me a T shirt from one of the crew I still have.
Careful roK, I feel you are about to get a visit from men in dark suits talking into their sleeves.

They just want to talk and are here to help....
Old 16-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Why would the Chassidim want to see him?
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #10
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Why would the Chassidim want to see him?
Chasing some repairs to the wailing wall?
Old 16-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
And if you asked any younger Australian if nuclear weapons, or ICBMs were ever used in Australia, the answer would be a horrified “No”.
It was generally known then, but all secret squirrel, and (hard to believe now) mobile phones, instant social media, TV, up to date newspapers, righteous protesters, etc, were science fiction back then.

I was a kid/teenager who lived in far western Qld during the time of the tests, and every now and again we would get unexplained dust storms with little wind that Mum used to complain about because of the dust which would just settle on everything.
Dad worked out in the Channel Country, camping out at night, and he swore that he could see the rocket testing trails in the night sky.
Aborigines in the testing area were not classed as humans, they were ‘fauna’. Typical English attitude to the disposable inhabitants of their ‘colonies’ at the time. Think of the use of Aussie troops during WW1 and WW2.

As the series states, it is historical fiction, but some of the bad stuff is true.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2020, 06:34 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Both UK and USA seems to have exposed their own military to nuclear weapons testing.

I find it interesting how that just witnessing the explosions and being in the vicinity seemed to cause PTSD - I wonder if you exposed people to their explosions now that people would be so badly effected given that we all know the scale of those weapons.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-06-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #13
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You watch ABC, that's all I need to know.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #14
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
And I'm sure you'd be a Sky news lover............
Old 16-06-2020, 08:41 PM   #15
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
And I'm sure you'd be a Sky news lover............
Wrong..... again.

You're the Master of that.
Old 16-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #16
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Wrong..... again.

You're the Master of that.
Clown..........Pull your head in. Polyal comments about a show on the ABC that he is enjoying and you come in with your usual snide pathetic comment. Was it needed Keyboard Warrior ?

Last edited by buggerlugs; 16-06-2020 at 09:47 PM.
buggerlugs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2020, 06:59 AM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Wow it would pain you to know that I work in the Coal industry, vote liberal through default because the rest are average but do conceded that all parties have their benefit in some way...mind blowing I know.

I stopped watching ACA/TT when I was about 14, but if Tracey is still your messiah then all power to you.

This was simply a comment on an interesting show about a piece of Australian history that doesn't seem to get much of a mention in our schooling system.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #18
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Wow it would pain you to know that I work in the Coal industry, vote liberal through default because the rest are average but do conceded that all parties have their benefit in some way...mind blowing I know.

I stopped watching ACA/TT when I was about 14, but if Tracey is still your messiah then all power to you.

This was simply a comment on an interesting show about a piece of Australian history that doesn't seem to get much of a mention in our schooling system.
Judging by links he posts here I think he watches mostly Teaparty/MAGA youtube channels or Hannity in a pinch....
Old 17-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #19
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Then you should have no problem digging and searching for the truth. The left-leaning outlets are the best launching pad for that, and they have a huge influence on our academia too.
Old 17-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #20
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Started watching it but turned off after first show, too much of the 'fictional drama' in it for me, if it was more factual than made up I would watch it - hookers out there on a plane REALLY??????
True.
But, if you can get past the improbable situation events, wooden acting, stereotyping of characters, badly attempted M*A*S*H humour, Keystone cop ASIO agents, and some other small details, like the green bushes growing around ‘ground zero’ hole, it is far better viewing than the current offerings of talent shows, reality shows, antique movies and repeat crime shows.

Plus, it may get complacent, unknowing Australians who may watch it to research some our other recent history which did not happen in 1788, or since invention of social media.

Have not read Len Beadell’s books, but he had a dry sense of humour about it all which comes across in his ‘Shepperton Talk’ CD. (Maybe it would be good time to visit a library.)
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #21
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

You might enjoy his books, for me as a first generation Australian with no “can do” male role models, they really had educational import besides the entertainment.
Old 17-06-2020, 03:07 PM   #22
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

The OP acknowledged in his first post how the show is not a true representation of actually what happened.

Let's just enjoy the show for what it is, a bit of light entertainment, and not get into another argument over all the BS that some of you have been arguing about on other threads recently.

Any further argumentative posts will be deleted I may even start handing out some warnings.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2020, 08:55 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Len Beadell was the last of our later day explorers
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #24
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Len Beadell was the last of our later day explorers
I bought his CD set from the ABC shop for my old man. He loved the stories, popped them into the stereo while he took his pigeons a few hundred kilometres away to let them out, then race them home. I don't think he's beaten them yet, but he enjoyed Len Beadell.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2020, 10:04 PM   #26
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Len Beadell

- A bloke who could survey a road, navigate by the stars, change the ring gear on a Landie flywheel in the middle of a spinifex plain, draw, write and even manage the odd bit of basic surgery or dentistry on request - not many of those type left.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2020, 06:50 AM   #27
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
I bought his CD set from the ABC shop for my old man. He loved the stories, popped them into the stereo while he took his pigeons a few hundred kilometres away to let them out, then race them home. I don't think he's beaten them yet, but he enjoyed Len Beadell.
How dare you go in to an ABC shop. How will you live with yourself.....
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #28
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
How dare you go in to an ABC shop. How will you live with yourself.....
They support some good Aussie country music artists, besides where else would I buy a Macca Pacca toy.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post