Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
2002au
Define definitive

Default tips on how to become a mechanic

hi every one, im in highschool and am very interested in becoming a mechanic, i love working on cars.

just wondering if theres and mechanics out there, what are some tips and what did you do to become one?

cheers

BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
george7

yea i'm also in high school and considering becoming a mechanic. pretty much for same reaosns as you. I enjoy that kind of work.,

i did work experience at a mechanic for 2weeks in yr10 and it was pretty good.

Only thing is that i've heard that a mechanics pay is really ****, i know all apprenitce wages are pretty **** but even fully qualified mechanics are getting **** pays.

A good place to start is obviously on forums to try and pick up little things here and there but obviously if you are sure htat's what you want to do, then start looking for apprenticeships.

good luck
george7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
20focus05
I wanna XR5

go to a group appenticeship organisation.
They will be able to get you a job and courses to do.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Straight after I finished year 12 back in 2002 I signed up to a pre-apprenticeship. It was for mechanic/metal worker type things. Was really good. I also done some work experience at a local shop.
Pre-Appenticeship is a good start if you don't mind studying for an extra year before doing your full apprenticeship.
If the pay really worries you then how about joining the army for a mechanics apprenticeship?

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few wise men from AFF once said to me, "Don't turn your hobby into your career, you'll hate it" and "After spending all day working on other peoples cars the last thing you'll want to do is come home and play with yours"

Not trying to turn you away but just something to think about. Good luck
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

ive been a mechanic for 10 years now and like every job you have your good days and bad days, but i still love doing what i do.

If your keen to get a start go to a workshop and ask if you can do some work experience during school holidays or after school hours and show them that you want to learn and that you can understand what they are talking about and if they havnt given you a job to do pick up the broom or put the tools away so you are always busy.

Blue Power Racing Developments
(03) 93053000
Ray Prescott Auto
(02) 49902488
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
reds89

been a mechanic for 41 years and still goin,heres a few tips,when you get a start whether it be trainee or apprentice,work hard,listen to what people tell you,learn as much as possible about the vehicles you work on.
ask questions,dont be afraid to ask even if it turns out to be dum question.
If you cant get answers find somebody who help.
always listen and learn,learn heaps,do overtime if its there,then when you have done your trade move around for a few years then go out and start your own business,THAT IS WHEN YOU MAKE MONEY.
also love what you do,work on your own cars and ya mates its good fun.
dont work at work then come home and do customers cars that will make you get sick of it real quick.
reds89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Companies like group training australia, or icet, are good way's to infiltrate the mechanical trade. Just have to pass an idiot test and show some competance and off u go. Good luck. The advantage of being a mechanic is that you'll always have a job.
Old 28-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
kinksta
Luxojet

At school in the country we did a VET course, and it was a really good insight. It got us work placement as well and was really helpful, and I learnt a little bit. 3 of my mates decided they wanted to carry on with it and left school in year 12, buying huge toolbox's etc, and each lasted no longer than 4 months and came back to school lol.

But it also made me not want to become a mechanic.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Tips on being a mechanic? Do you like skinning your knuckles for $19/hr?
I didn't either.
That's why I got an education and my job title is now master of annoying the hell out of grandpa_spec_au
Old 28-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Tips on being a mechanic? Do you like skinning your knuckles for $19/hr?
I didn't either.
That's why I got an education and my job title is now master of annoying the hell out of grandpa_spec_au
Who gets $19 an hour these days? A lot better than that now.

I would warn you about doing it. Every young guy wants to work on cars and starts out enthusiastic but by the end of your apprenticeship, 90% of guys want to do something else.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #12
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220

I would warn you about doing it. Every young guy wants to work on cars and starts out enthusiastic but by the end of your apprenticeship, 90% of guys want to do something else.
Maybe in West Oz you get paid more than $19 per hour but over this side of the country the range is approx $18 - $22 per hour for a Full Time Technician working 38 hours a week. The rate you get really depends on alot of things including how qualified you are for instance, Roadworthy Inspection certificates, gas fitting qualifications, if you are just out of your apprenticeship expect around $18 per hour.
Old 28-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #13
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSSXR8
Straight after I finished year 12 back in 2002 I signed up to a pre-apprenticeship. It was for mechanic/metal worker type things. Was really good. I also done some work experience at a local shop.
Pre-Appenticeship is a good start if you don't mind studying for an extra year before doing your full apprenticeship.
If the pay really worries you then how about joining the army for a mechanics apprenticeship?
What all have said comes together and thats why I picked this quote.

If it's something that you want to do, really think about this option as it will give you some options down the track if you find out that you really dont want to be just a mechanic, or a mechanic at all. I did it in reverse - was a desk jockey/ships diver in the Navy, and now have a wrecking yard/workshop/crash repair business.

You have so many different options available to you in the Defence Force. Where the army might be working on vehicles, the Navy could be going in the direction of ships/helicopters/vehicles, and the RAAF planes or vehicles. On top of this, leaving one of the forces with a trade opens a plethora of areas. Entering one of the forces will mean you will start with a much better wage than your regular apprentice, and finally you get to travel.

I'm dont mean to shove this down your throat, just pointing out what else is available.

Cheers
Old 29-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree on the defence force apprenticeship.. excellent money and experience

if you can put up with the discipline and being away from home, family and mates etc
Old 29-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #15
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Try to get work / apprenticeship with a big company.. They tend to look after you better with a wider scope of work...
Metal fabrication is another option, where you make things rather than repair ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most mechanics are still on under $20- an hour, its just not worth it imho. (Qualified mech myself)
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
Most mechanics are still on under $20- an hour, its just not worth it imho. (Qualified mech myself)
If thats the case then stuff that. I wouldnt even get out of bed for anything under 24 these days.
Old 29-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
If thats the case then stuff that. I wouldnt even get out of bed for anything under 24 these days.
Yeah, mechanics should get paid a ******** more than they do.
As for me, i wouldn't get up for 24. At least 30 is required, if not more like 40.
Old 29-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #19
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Its quite amazing the difference between states. I mean under 20 an hour and your basically on award wage.
Old 29-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #20
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Its quite amazing the difference between states. I mean under 20 an hour and your basically on award wage.
Yep. And whilst houses are over a quarter of a million dollars for a heap out in the sticks, anyone choosing a career path where $19/hr is the norm is going to make life very, very difficult for themselves in only a few years.
Yes I had to give away what I really wanted to do for something where I don't really enjoy my job anymore, but at least i can afford a modern home!
Old 29-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #21
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
.....That's why I got an education and my job title is now master of annoying the hell out of grandpa_spec_au
If you have an education, thus implying you have skillz, then why do the regional servers keep going down?! Or is that just part of annoying the hell out of me?

As others have said, if it is your hobby, it won't be in 6 months. I used to go to LAN parties, spend countless hours building and re-building my pc, modding it, spending lots of dosh on the go fast bits and tweaking them.

Two years working in I.T. and now when I get home as long as it gets me onto the internet I don't give a damn what sort of PC I own.

I replaced doing up computers with doing up cars, friends of mine replaced doing up cars (being car mechanics) with doing up bikes, it's a never ending cycle!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #22
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
A few wise men from AFF once said to me, "Don't turn your hobby into your career, you'll hate it" and "After spending all day working on other peoples cars the last thing you'll want to do is come home and play with yours"

Not trying to turn you away but just something to think about. Good luck
Quote:

Mate on apprenticeship wages expect 7 an hourt 1st yr, 9 2nd 11 3rd 14 4th and about 16 for your first couple of years as qualified......then maybe you boost up to 19 an hour.

I am doing an apprenticeship myself and after working that and another job, I still earn ****all. It is not work the hours, lack of cash, stress and loss of enthusiasm.

And as has been previously stated, after working all day on other peoples cars, you will not want to come home and work on your own!

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Sizey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #23
dannyxm
was danny888

I always wanted to be mechanic. Did the work experience in year ten, dropped out in year ten and lined up an apprenticeship.

The got jacked after a week or so, went back to school, partied for 2 years in yr 11 and 12 then went to uni and became a solicitor.

As said previously, dont make a hobby into a job. I love nothing more than going home working on my old heaps.

Nothing worse than working on cars all week then working on yours at home.

Perhaps look to the defence force or some bigger company if you are that keen.

Good for you to show some initiative. Kudos to you.
Old 29-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #24
sleek7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
As others have said, if it is your hobby, it won't be in 6 months. I used to go to LAN parties, spend countless hours building and re-building my pc, modding it, spending lots of dosh on the go fast bits and tweaking them.

Two years working in I.T. and now when I get home as long as it gets me onto the internet I don't give a damn what sort of PC I own.
ahahaha this is so damn true! Im in IT aswell and Im caring less and less about my own hardware now. As long as I have net and my frame rate doesnt go below 40 im happy
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #25
Flamin
Rust Bucket

Been there done that, I left school did my apprenticeship and stuck at it for 8 years but I gave it up and don't regret it at all. Working on cars as a hobby is great but working for a few dollars a hour on uncared for cars normally in a hot workshop is not a life long dream for many.

There are a lot of similar trades which pay a lot better and open up more doors - boiler maker, sheet metal/fabricator, air con mechanics and even diesel mechanics can be better opinions. have a good look around give it a go if your heart is set on it as you will learn some great skills.
Old 29-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #26
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

If one's good at what they do they will be payed accordingly. Yes the majority of mechanics earn a low wage. Thrive to become one of the best and you'll have employers offering u jobs and stupid money left right and center. Man i love being me!!!
Old 29-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #27
Falcman0o7
Banned

Don't turn a hobby into a job? Awsome advice.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #28
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002au
hi every one, im in highschool and am very interested in becoming a mechanic, i love working on cars.

just wondering if theres and mechanics out there, what are some tips and what did you do to become one?

cheers

Here in NSW, there was (and maybe still is) a scheme thru selected schools that allow you to go to tafe during school time, to give you ahead start. I'm sure it's a federal initiative, so maybe changing schools could be something for you to look at for that head start.

My brother did this, allowing him to 1stly see if he enjoyed it, 2ndly- gave hime the confidence to seek an apprentaship to finish the course.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #29
blackjack74

Don't be an automotive mechanic, diesel mechanics get paid a lot more. I'm shocked to hear how little Eastern states guys get paid. $20 per hour are you serious?? My semi skilled technicians get more than that.
blackjack74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #30
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Those mechanics that have responded on this thread, saying they're on under $20 P/HR. You're obviously working in the wrong workshops.

Good mechanics can command what they get paid an hour, within reason.

Personally, I'm a lowly wheel aligner/tyre fitter. Nothing real flash. Recently I walked into another job and am being paid $22 P/HR. The only piece of paper I've got is saying I can fit a bloody tyre. Nothing more, yet I have the experience and the references, which were a good bargaining chip when it comes to pay rates. I also go a company car supplied after 1 month of being in the new place. ("Fringe benefit")

So if you're looking at getting into the industry. Go for it. Yes, the pay is crap to begin with, but having the experience and the references behind you, then it'll allow you to command good money down the track. Good workshops do pay good money for the right people.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post