Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Default Luxury Big car Comparo

Luxury Big car Comparo has just been done by RACQ Road Ahead magazine.

The Fairmont Ghia finished well in the end,drawing even with the VW Passat.

other cars tested were, Hyundai Grandeur Lim, Chrysler 300c, and the Nissan MaximaTi.

All models had their good points but was a very interesting read with a few surprises in certain areas for some of the entrants.

The deisel powered VW impessed me, What are your thoughts???

1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
Luxury Big car Comparo has just been done by RACQ Road Ahead magazine.

The Fairmont Ghia finished well in the end,drawing even with the VW Passat.

other cars tested were, Hyundai Grandeur Lim, Chrysler 300c, and the Nissan MaximaTi.

All models had their good points but was a very interesting read with a few surprises in certain areas for some of the entrants.

The deisel powered VW impessed me, What are your thoughts???
The article also said the Ghia is down on equipment levels for the luxury price bracket.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I like the VW, it has a hole in the edge of the door where you can slide in an umbrella.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Yeah i know ,even the Hyundai beat it in build quality but it did good in everything else tho.
Old 20-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
5speedeb
now with 3.73 lsd

how did the 300c go?
Old 20-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
I like the VW, it has a hole in the edge of the door where you can slide in an umbrella.
My POS 87 Pulsar had one of those! I never used it though (probably beacause I dont have an umbrella) and neither will I be, it was crushed into a cube near the start of the year.
Old 20-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #7
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speedeb
how did the 300c go?
Not very well mate. Not good handling,price,performance, build quality and realy bad running and repair costs.Economy was bad too but it had good safety and ride quality so u make up your own mind. Still rather the Ghia or the Passat i think
Old 20-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Have you seen the new Honda Legend? That's a nice car in my opinion, with the AWD and the nice interior. But I'd like to see a stretched, chunkier version more like a Fairlane. It's just a little too small.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
Scott

Those new Passat wagons are a good lookin thing. Not that I'd admit it though.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #10
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Ghia's have been down on equipment levels since, well, erm, ever. They just kind of hover in the market. not up to E or 5 class but 1/2 a rung above an XT.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #11
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Fairmont Ghia is well short on gadgets.
-Wheres the power passenger seat?
-Wheres the auto dimming mirror?
-Wheres Xenons?
-Wheres the seat heaters
-Wheres the decent audio
-MP3, TV, DVD?
-18" Wheels as a option?
-Proper seat backs?
-Center headrest?
-Curtain airbags (or atleast rear airbags and maybe a knee bag)
-How about some sexy colours?
-Maybe a chilled/heated centre console

Fix some of this and the Ghia would be near 5/E class competitor, which is what it needs to be if you want private non fleet sales. Also fix up the resale value too (after I buy one second hand of course).

Also Ghia ownership should make you feel special. Ford should run events and functions for Ghia owners. like how Lexus owners get free opera parking or merc owners get to goto the fashion day etc.

Maybe a music function near some wineries or a art gallery thing, or a golf day.

If done properly it could cost very little and would be great promotional thing.

The frustrating thing is dynamically and in other areas the Ghia is very strong.

Anyone scanned the article?
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #12
1TUFFUTE
Banned

haha maybe that ripper of a gear box meant they had to strip the thing to pay for it. :hihi:
Old 21-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #13
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
Fairmont Ghia is well short on gadgets.
-Wheres the power passenger seat?
-Wheres the auto dimming mirror?
-Wheres Xenons?
-Wheres the seat heaters
-Wheres the decent audio
-MP3, TV, DVD?
-18" Wheels as a option?
-Proper seat backs?
-Center headrest?
-Curtain airbags (or atleast rear airbags and maybe a knee bag)
-How about some sexy colours?
-Maybe a chilled/heated centre console

Fix some of this and the Ghia would be near 5/E class competitor, which is what it needs to be if you want private non fleet sales. Also fix up the resale value too (after I buy one second hand of course).

Also Ghia ownership should make you feel special. Ford should run events and functions for Ghia owners. like how Lexus owners get free opera parking or merc owners get to goto the fashion day etc.

Maybe a music function near some wineries or a art gallery thing, or a golf day.

If done properly it could cost very little and would be great promotional thing.

The frustrating thing is dynamically and in other areas the Ghia is very strong.

Anyone scanned the article?
i agree with everything you've said on that. The problem with Ford is they made the XT and then made the rest, just not enough to distinguish between the range and justification to spend the extra $$. We have seen this with the woeful LWB sales, why? Because they're cars are just not value for money. C'mon ford pull ya thumb out your a55
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #14
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Have you seen the new Honda Legend? That's a nice car in my opinion, with the AWD and the nice interior. But I'd like to see a stretched, chunkier version more like a Fairlane. It's just a little too small.
Yeah, I've seen a few in the US (Acura RL) and my uncle over there owns one. I am seriously thinking of that as my next car.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #15
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
i agree with everything you've said on that. The problem with Ford is they made the XT and then made the rest, just not enough to distinguish between the range and justification to spend the extra $$. We have seen this with the woeful LWB sales, why? Because they're cars are just not value for money. C'mon ford pull ya thumb out your a55
Well my mate is a mechanic and I see him pulling down engines of some Korean and Japanese imports in the prestige league with 120-160K on the clock, methinks they were not such good value for money in the long run....
I'm talking from the point of view of a Fairlane driver with 250K on the clock never had the head off, original untouched trans, 500ml oil in 5000kms, can't feel or hear the motor idling at the lights, no rust and all the electics work.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #16
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Well my mate is a mechanic and I see him pulling down engines of some Korean and Japanese imports in the prestige league with 120-160K on the clock, methinks they were not such good value for money in the long run....
I'm talking from the point of view of a Fairlane driver with 250K on the clock never had the head off, original untouched trans, 500ml oil in 5000kms, can't feel or hear the motor idling at the lights, no rust and all the electics work.
that is not what we're getting at here. yes some cars are more expensive to fix than others however the point is Ford do not offer anything for people wanting a luxury car, leather seats on their own just dont cut it anymore in the market. Where are the real luxuries? Where is the innovation, the distinguishing features that set aside a fairmont ghia from a XT?
Old 21-06-2006, 07:46 PM   #17
EL_futuraistic

I think that is fords problem. The Fairmont Ghia is escentially a XT falcon with dressup items.... and it basically still looks similar to the XT. In saying that, a E430 merc is the same as a E230 merc only it has more dressup items.... but it is still more classy than a C180 merc.

I think for the money you get a lot of good gear in the Fairmont Ghia but it still looks like an XT with chrome :P, maybe they could throw in the dual elec seats from the fairlane ghia but realistically some of the other things mentioned arent availabe on any falcon.

I will have to read that comparo, i dont think comparing a Fairmont Ghia to the likes of German Marks as BMW and Mercedes is really fair as their base models begin $$ wise @ the price of the Fairmont Ghia.

As for some of these vehicles not coping with mileage, I knwo of a few honda accords with 200+ thousand kms and many many BMW's and Mercs with 300+ kms...... that is sheer aussie ignorance to make a statement such as that.

For its price bracket I think they are quite well equiped, for build quality average, for driving experience they arent a bad drive either.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #18
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Dont forget this comparo wasnt just about the goodies in the dash guys. If it was we would all be buying the Hyundai because it romped it in in that section.
Things like running and repair costs, fuel economy,performance, ride quality and handling, it finished ahead. You dont just buy a car because it has electric seats and seat warmers because you may end up with the slowest car 50 grand can buy.
As for the Ghia looking like an xt, the only thing that seperates these cars with their lesser siblings looks is chrome and wheels so it applys to most.

Spose it comes down to image and personal opinion anyway and not which car is voted the best. _2:
Old 22-06-2006, 08:47 PM   #19
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Yes there is more to a luxury car than goodies. But the Ghia gets so much of it right, handling is brillant, ride is fantastic, I6 with the A6 is a fantastic duo, interior layout is pretty good.

But in this market people expect something for ~$55k. A Mazda 6 or Focus Ghia outspecs the fairmont in some respects (euro Focus gets seat heaters and bi xenons). And heated mirrors with intergrated indicators, rain sensing wipers and solar coated front windscreen!!..

Seriously the Calais has had 8 way powered seats for what? atleast 3 years I think maybe VTI.

Stuff like how the South Africa Territory Ghia gets auto dimming internal mirror, yet we miss out that here in Australia and NZ.

Ford OZ just decontents the bejesus out of our cars and wonders why they have problems selling the things.

No LSD, no chrome exhaust, etc etc.. Yes they are little(or medium) things, but take about 25 of them out and you start to feel short changed.

If you started to put some of this into a Fairmont then you would have a rival to a 5'er and E class at $10,000's less, which is what you would need to compete because BMW and Merc badges add hugely to the product desireability.

SWB LTD - With this sort of stuff could really be a euro fighter. Esp with the turbo engine.
Old 23-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Yes there is more to a luxury car than goodies. But the Ghia gets so much of it right, handling is brillant, ride is fantastic, I6 with the A6 is a fantastic duo, interior layout is pretty good.

But in this market people expect something for ~$55k. A Mazda 6 or Focus Ghia outspecs the fairmont in some respects (euro Focus gets seat heaters and bi xenons). And heated mirrors with intergrated indicators, rain sensing wipers and solar coated front windscreen!!..

Seriously the Calais has had 8 way powered seats for what? atleast 3 years I think maybe VTI.

Stuff like how the South Africa Territory Ghia gets auto dimming internal mirror, yet we miss out that here in Australia and NZ.

Ford OZ just decontents the bejesus out of our cars and wonders why they have problems selling the things.

No LSD, no chrome exhaust, etc etc.. Yes they are little(or medium) things, but take about 25 of them out and you start to feel short changed.

If you started to put some of this into a Fairmont then you would have a rival to a 5'er and E class at $10,000's less, which is what you would need to compete because BMW and Merc badges add hugely to the product desireability.

SWB LTD - With this sort of stuff could really be a euro fighter. Esp with the turbo engine.
Stuff like seat heaters and heated mirrors has little relevance here in Australia. Those sorts of things are totally necessary in cold icy Europe but here stuff like that is nearly useless because of the climate.

Doesn't the Territory Ghia have an auto dimming rear view mirror standard, I know mine did.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 10:33 AM   #21
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Stuff like seat heaters and heated mirrors has little relevance here in Australia. Those sorts of things are totally necessary in cold icy Europe but here stuff like that is nearly useless because of the climate.
Haha, try telling that to us kiwi's over in NZ at the moment - we've got BF's and BA's stuck in snow drifts in places that haven't had snow in years!
I thought SA and Tasmania get an reasonable amount of snow from time to time?
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #22
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I disagree, heated mirrors would be a nice addition in the cars here, espcially with the frosty weather melbourne has had lately.
Old 24-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
Haha, try telling that to us kiwi's over in NZ at the moment - we've got BF's and BA's stuck in snow drifts in places that haven't had snow in years!
I thought SA and Tasmania get an reasonable amount of snow from time to time?
Maybe in Tassie but probably pretty rarely.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #24
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Most inland Australia has sub zero nights, most of australia has frosts even up past bisbane. NZ gets plenty, and for mountain inhabitances from sydney down, ice and snow are a way of life.

They are comfort gadgets. Yes for many people they are not required, but we are talking $50,000+ cars here. You proberly don't need dual zone climate control either or need 17" alloys either.. But you will find most other cars in the market have most of these, if not all.

Quote:
Doesn't the Territory Ghia have an auto dimming rear view mirror standard, I know mine did.
I have been lead to belive we don't (maybe on awd only?). But then why doesn't the Fairmont Ghia get it? Or a head rest for the middle occupant? It doesn't have to be a huge lump, but most cars get it. Even VW Golfs have 5 headrests, yet the more expensive aussie made, larger fairmont Ghia makes do with four. How about LTD? Yep, four.

Do people want these features? YES!. I am personally going to pay around $1000 to get a LSD put in (for slippery boat ramps, slippery unsealed driveways such as my own, driving pleasure and safety). I will explore aftermarket seat heaters because the frost are so bad where I am moving to they will freeze your kitchen sink solid overnight.

If I was buying brand new, I wouldn't be concidering the Ghia. It doesn't have the features I need (LSD) and want (seat heaters, dimming mirror, power passenger). Thats before you get to niceities like Xenons, voice command, turbo engine, , blue tooth,18" wheels etc etc etc.

Im not fuddyduddy enough to buy jaguar or Volvo (which have a whole other set of issues as well), so ford won't be getting any of my money directly until they start making fully appointed cars. Open your boot, look, steel spare. Even Toyota corollas get alloy spares.
Old 26-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #25
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Most inland Australia has sub zero nights, most of australia has frosts even up past bisbane. NZ gets plenty, and for mountain inhabitances from sydney down, ice and snow are a way of life.

They are comfort gadgets. Yes for many people they are not required, but we are talking $50,000+ cars here. You proberly don't need dual zone climate control either or need 17" alloys either.. But you will find most other cars in the market have most of these, if not all.

I have been lead to belive we don't (maybe on awd only?). But then why doesn't the Fairmont Ghia get it? Or a head rest for the middle occupant? It doesn't have to be a huge lump, but most cars get it. Even VW Golfs have 5 headrests, yet the more expensive aussie made, larger fairmont Ghia makes do with four. How about LTD? Yep, four.

Do people want these features? YES!. I am personally going to pay around $1000 to get a LSD put in (for slippery boat ramps, slippery unsealed driveways such as my own, driving pleasure and safety). I will explore aftermarket seat heaters because the frost are so bad where I am moving to they will freeze your kitchen sink solid overnight.

If I was buying brand new, I wouldn't be concidering the Ghia. It doesn't have the features I need (LSD) and want (seat heaters, dimming mirror, power passenger). Thats before you get to niceities like Xenons, voice command, turbo engine, , blue tooth,18" wheels etc etc etc.

Im not fuddyduddy enough to buy jaguar or Volvo (which have a whole other set of issues as well), so ford won't be getting any of my money directly until they start making fully appointed cars. Open your boot, look, steel spare. Even Toyota corollas get alloy spares.

if ur that worried about it...go buy those things with the money you save from fuel and running and repairs costs compared to the others. And a skate board with seat warmers is still a skate board mate :voldar02:
Old 27-06-2006, 01:10 AM   #26
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
if ur that worried about it...go buy those things with the money you save from fuel and running and repairs costs compared to the others. And a skate board with seat warmers is still a skate board mate :voldar02:
yeah thats the attitude to have, hope ford don't listen to you.
Old 27-06-2006, 03:44 AM   #27
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Wow I didn't realise they were missing out on so much.

At the moment im looking at getting an 05 - 06 Vectra CDXi. These things top the scale with their little trinkits for their price. I couldn't believe how well equipped they are, and that punchy well made V6 and silky smooth tiptronic 5 speed auto just adds to it. Shame Holden aren't importing them anymore. Ford should really start importing the V6 Mondeo over.

Equipment list of the vectra is fantastic though.

see here: Vectra Specifications

Seriousley, anyones looking for a slighlty smaller alternative to the Commo or Falcon, with a highly luxurious, sporty edge, it's worth having a look at!

It has basically all those features that were posted up there that the ford was missing, and a much smaller ticket (although not when it first came out) it also has fantastic fuel economy. Auto Wipers, auto dipping mirrors, heaps of airbags, dual climate control and an awesome 9 speaker system to state a couple.

Stoney!
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post