Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 31-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Second Hand Focus for My Kids

I'm current doing the rounds for a safe reliable Focus for my Daughter (NSW Green P's) & Son (L's).

I'm a little confused by the options available on the various year models & hoping that a few of you may be able to assist in narrowing down what to look for by way of models and trim levels - (I'm reviewing the brochure resource as I type)

What we are after is:

* Manual - yes I forced my kids to learn stick
* 4 Wheel Discs Brakes with ABS
* Front Airbags minimum

We are not fussed when it comes to the age of the vehicle (personally I like the original Focus styling marginally ahead of the later models) and don't really have a preference for sedan or hatch at this stage. We can spend up to $10k but won't if we don't have too (they're P platers at best! )

Buying second hand we'll have it mechanically checked over independently before diving in but I don't want to waste my time or a seller's, looking at stuff we are going to reject, on the features above, which can't be filtered on most of the car sale web-sites.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Second Hand Focus for My Kids

Here's a search for you. 4 to choose from at present. The LX looks the pick (on paper) to me.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...1&sort=default

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank you for the input & the link! So basically I need to be looking at an LX trim level to ensure my 'basic' feature requirements - your a Champion.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The CL models should fit all of your requirements, but the LX models will exceed them (they have rear power windows, for example).

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi guys; have zeroed in on a nice 2004 LR LX Sedan: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...ck&sort=~Price
Had agreed a price but the seller has raised two issues and is prepared to negotiate further:
* The Airbag light is coming on intermittently and his mechanic (NRMA Motor Serve) has pulled a code from the ECU B1993 - Drivers side mount airbag ground to short - light not on at time of inspection, reset.
* he has pulled the rear headrests out from the car to improve rearward visibility but can not locate them for the sale.

Any advice on the costs associated for repair and by extension what reduction in price should I be looking for?
Old 18-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well guys we bit the bullet today & bought ourselves a 2004 WP Fiesta ZETEC 5sp with 66,000km on the clock. A few things to fix up from the dealer & we collect it later in the week.
Thanks for the input it was much appreciated.
Old 18-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

I know your kids are going to love it!
Great job on 'forcing' your kids to learn manual, have they been driving automatic before?
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only auto they drove regularly was the driving school. Only have manulas on the driveway at home.