Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #2611
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
We get The Australian, SMH and AFR on the weekends. Alternate Telegraph and SMH during the week. Watch ABC, 7, Al Jazeera, BBC, 9 but not 10 'cause rubbish station.

I find that a balanced media diet frees my mind from a predetermined position where I fly off the handle when someone presents an argument that I don't agree with. You should try it
You should try making your own news up, I have a ball doing this

I would have been the best CCP or USSR news personality, I think I'm gonna have to settle for being the B grade actor they employ to play the dodgy tradie on ACA.

I could be the dodgy tradie this week, next week the crappy houso neighbour then the week after that the annoying hoon driver - value for money, jack of all trades
Old 03-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #2612
knight rider
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Facebook app: "We want to track where you go, what you buy, what other apps you have on your phone, who you talk to, what you click on, and who you're related to or friends with, and also bombard you with targeted advertisements based on algorithms so sublty sophisticated you'll think your phone is listening to you. In return, we'll let you share ****ty cat memes or read 'news' articles written by flat-earthers"

Everyone: SIGN ME UP

Government: "We'd like you to download this app so that we can track anonymised data that will help stop the spread of coronavirus"

Everyone: SOURCE CODE OR GTFO

Two wrongs don't make a right, your mum should have taught you that

No one's likes that about FB Google and lot so why like the Gov app and problem with the Gov app is Gov not the app, what they say and what they do is two different things. I have no plans of downloading it for now will see how well it goes for a bit first
Old 03-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #2613
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
And its still one of the most facked up countries in the world .....which the rest of the world seams to model themselves on?.... whatever happens over there
It's your right to be anti-american all you want.

Try being anti soviet in Russia back in the day.

Or If your Chinese and your publicly anti-China in Australia the government can and will fk up whatever family you have back in China.

The US is less fkd up than any other western country purely because it is still best placed to innovate and drive technology forward.

Criticise it all you want, but don't pretend you are not a direct beneficiary of the goodness of the US, cause you most certainly are.
8 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #2614
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One reason New York has such bad numbers is that Coumo sent so many infected patients back into nursing homes.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/01/cuomos...ex-gov-pataki/

In a rare swipe at his successor Friday night, Pataki called for an independent probe “so this never happens again.”

Pataki said the state Health Department should never have issued an edict requiring nursing homes to accept coronavirus virus patients into nursing home facilities filled with sick, elderly patients — the population most at risk from the killer COVID-19 bug.

Compounding the misguided policy, Pataki said, is that the nursing homes lacked the personal protective equipment or testing capability to isolate and contain the spread of COVID-19.

Pataki also said he was dumbfounded as to why infected patients were sent to nursing homes instead of “hundreds of unused beds” at the two temporary hospitals at the Javits Center and the Navy’s USNS Comfort hospital ship.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #2615
superyob
Banned

Quote:
We get The Australian, SMH and AFR on the weekends. Alternate Telegraph and SMH during the week. Watch ABC, 7, Al Jazeera, BBC, 9 but not 10 'cause rubbish station.

I find that a balanced media diet frees my mind from a predetermined position where I fly off the handle when someone presents an argument that I don't agree with. You should try it
These are news sources? They all sing in one accord off the Marxist propaganda sheet...
Old 03-05-2020, 03:02 PM   #2616
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Ok. The US of A.

New York State has clearly been the worst hit. It has 27.6% of the cases in the country, 36.2% of the deaths but only 5.9% of the population.

New Jersey has 10.7% of the cases, 11.5% of the deaths and only 2.7% of the population.

Massachusetts is even for case and mortality percentages at 5.72% but has 2.1% of the population.

Conversely, California has 12% of the population but but 4.5% of cases and 3.2% of deaths.

In terms of case mortality rates, the States above the 5.8% average include Michigan (9.3%), Conneticut (8.1%) and New York (7.6%). At the other end of the scale, those below 3% include South Dakota (0.8%), Utah (0.98%) and Wyoming (1.21%).

When the number of cases per 100k of population is viewed, there is a huge disparity between the best and worst. The latter includes New York (1,500), Federal Prisons (1,384) and New Jersey (950) while the former includes Montana (42), Hawaii (44) and Alaska (50).

Likewise, deaths per 100k of population is equally wide ranging with New York (125), New Jersey (86.6) and Connecticut (65.6) amongst the worst while Alaska (1.22), Wyoming (1.23) and Montana (1.47) are at the better end.

Alaska and Hawaii are in almost total lockdown including schools. California and New Jersey are also in lockdown but only since March 19th and Connecticut followed suit a week later. Montana went into lockdown earlier than most and has since extended the duration and severity of the lockdown. Wyoming, however, is the edge case as they have largely remained open with the only closures being schools but it's also a sparsely populated State which has no doubt helped.

Observatio Facta Rotae

6 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 03:02 PM   #2617
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Australia recorded 16 new cases yesterday but no deaths so the CMR dropped to 1.371% and the active case percentage dropped to 13.3%.

New Zealand had 6 new cases and one death so the CMR rises to 1.347% while active cases drops to 14.1%.

The UK was under 5k new cases and just over 600 deaths so the CMR improved slightly to 15.435% but active cases climbed to 84.3%.

The USA had more than 36,000 new cases but under 2,000 deaths so both the CMR and active case percentage improved to 5.814% and 79.9% respectively. The USA now has almost a third of all cases globally (33.29%) and more than a quarter of the death toll (27.5%).

Europe is probably going to pass the 1.5M case mark by early next week and while a lot of countries are gaining ground, some continue to struggle.

Around Australia, NSW had 5 new cases, Victoria 7 and Queensland had 1 but the NT, which hadn't had a case in 25 days, recorded 2 new cases.
Russ, there was a death yesterday at the Newmarch Nursing home.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...house/12209658

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 03-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #2618
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone read this article from The Daily Mail?
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/co...DailyTelegraph
Old 03-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #2619
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
We can’t all just download our opinion out of the ABC news anchors mouth each night.

I assume your still sitting at home thinking gee wiz how unlucky are we to have had a bat virus transmit cross species in a fish market with no bats..

And then China to have been unaware of human to human transmission as they started shutting down travel across the country due to a random pneumonia as they started suppressing their state media, but decided not to inconvenience their citizens whom they show endless respect to by allowing them to travel to every major capital of the world.

Nah, I’m sure ABC and others would be all over this from the get go with their amazing investigative journos if anything suspicious was going on.
What we need in this thread is a big SARCASM sign for when people post tongue in cheek stuff.
4 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #2620
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Russ, there was a death yesterday at the Newmarch Nursing home.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...house/12209658
Thanks. It hasn't shown up yet in the source I am using but each day closes at midnight GMT (so about 15:00 our time) and I'd expect it to be in the stats tomorrow.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 03-05-2020, 03:11 PM   #2621
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight rider View Post

No one's likes that about FB Google and lot so why like the Gov app and problem with the Gov app is Gov not the app, what they say and what they do is two different things. I have no plans of downloading it for now will see how well it goes for a bit first
Shouldn't you be out fishing or something?
Old 03-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #2622
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shoulda read down oops looking at SM's win sorry
Old 03-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #2623
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
These are news sources? They all sing in one accord off the Marxist propaganda sheet...
That's the silliest thing I've read today, so silly that I'm not going to bother replying...

Oh wait
3 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 03:16 PM   #2624
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight rider View Post
Yeah, but I see it as one wrong and one right. Mum was a teacher and taught me to make up my own mind
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #2625
prydey
Rob

Quote:
We can’t all just download our opinion out of the ABC news anchors mouth each night.

I assume your still sitting at home thinking gee wiz how unlucky are we to have had a bat virus transmit cross species in a fish market with no bats..

And then China to have been unaware of human to human transmission as they started shutting down travel across the country due to a random pneumonia as they started suppressing their state media, but decided not to inconvenience their citizens whom they show endless respect to by allowing them to travel to every major capital of the world.

Nah, I’m sure ABC and others would be all over this from the get go with their amazing investigative journos if anything suspicious was going on.
In this age of connectivity and internet it would be virtually impossible to pull off some kind of conspiracy like people are suggesting China have done and then be able to keep it quiet all while fooling every expert that studies it.

Of all the experts that have studied this virus genetic code how many have come to the conclusion that it is man made or synthetic? Perhaps they have all been silenced?

It doesn't matter to the general populations of the countries around the world where the virus originated. We have it here so we just have to deal with it.

Questioning how the virus started or how it managed to be spread around doesn't make it any less real.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #2626
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
What we need in this thread is a big SARCASM sign for when people post tongue in cheek stuff.
But if you put a sign on it how are you meant to claim that the really, really dumb statement you made a few days ago was sarcasm. Maybe you can make Trump a sarcasm sign to hold up during press conferences.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 04:50 PM   #2627
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
It's your right to be anti-american all you want.

Try being anti soviet in Russia back in the day.

Or If your Chinese and your publicly anti-China in Australia the government can and will fk up whatever family you have back in China.

The US is less fkd up than any other western country purely because it is still best placed to innovate and drive technology forward.

Criticise it all you want, but don't pretend you are not a direct beneficiary of the goodness of the US, cause you most certainly are.
Im not anti -American ...it just amazes me when everyone switches procedures or policies to follow some poorly designed American system when you look how the reality of their systems work in their own l country

look how fair their health system is to poor people
their reaction to the pandemic
their daily mass shootings and inability to change the gun laws because they still want to be part of their own personal wild west movie

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
3 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #2628
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah, but I see it as one wrong and one right. Mum was a teacher and taught me to make up my own mind
Here’s the thing, I listen to smart people.

I listen to my family, educated friends, and public people I respect.

In general, the simple answer is the correct one.

Dumb people, and wackos spew conspiracy theories.

There are no conspiracies, just wackos that put them on the internet.
4 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #2629
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Thanks. It hasn't shown up yet in the source I am using but each day closes at midnight GMT (so about 15:00 our time) and I'd expect it to be in the stats tomorrow.
Yes, I'd heard the passing was late in the afternoon, so, as you say, may show up as a death in tomorrow's stats.

AEST is 10 hours ahead of GMT (too many hours interpreting aviation weather reports, which are all in GMT). However, I expect there would be a lag between actual time of passing and when it was reported/recorded too, so therefore may not have made the reporting cut-off time.

Either way, another sad case for someone's family.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #2630
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
In this age of connectivity and internet it would be virtually impossible to pull off some kind of conspiracy like people are suggesting China have done and then be able to keep it quiet all while fooling every expert that studies it.

Of all the experts that have studied this virus genetic code how many have come to the conclusion that it is man made or synthetic? Perhaps they have all been silenced?

It doesn't matter to the general populations of the countries around the world where the virus originated. We have it here so we just have to deal with it.

Questioning how the virus started or how it managed to be spread around doesn't make it any less real.
Who’s talking conspiracies?

I’m not suggesting it was deliberately released as a bio weapon, I’m sarcastically asking logical questions to what is being told to is is the official narrative?

Is Scomo a tinfoil hat because he is pressuring the UN to form an investigation?

The day we can’t question the media is a very dark day, perhaps we should just remove the press and have a offical state run media? No thanks.

Last edited by FPV8U; 03-05-2020 at 05:55 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #2631
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yes that’s clearly been on display.
Excellent, glad you agree

What's interesting is that even The Australian has said to put aside the political divide wedging for this one and just do it for the good of your fellow Australians.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #2632
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
That's also the country that sprayed migrant workers with bleach and was beating people with sticks for being out of their houses

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/engl...id-19-lockdown
And don't forget the forced sterilizations....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Em..._sterilization

It is breathtakingly astounding how determined some of you are to convince us of how ignorant and stupid you are.

That's a terrible sentence but I'm going to leave it there.

It is nothing short of hilarious reading your regurgitation of the ABC's America/Wealth/Catholic/White/Heterosexual hating propaganda.

I do not love America but I obviously know a lot more about the place than a lot of you do. You believe the utter garbage the media present ? Go overseas and look back over your shoulder at how we look to everyone else on the planet. OUR government, OUR tourists, OUR extremists, OUR businesses.

Understand their health system before you slag it off. Understand their motivation for their politics before you slag it off. Understand the cultural variations across the country before you lump them all in together. Are they perfect ? No. Are we ?? f no. They do things differently to us, some are better some worse mostly they are just different, as different as the French or the Norwegians.

Educating yourselves does not mean watching fing TV docos or reading opinions on SM.

Last edited by guzzis3; 03-05-2020 at 06:05 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 06:12 PM   #2633
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Anyone read this article from The Daily Mail?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/co...DailyTelegraph
Is this good or bad for us? Reads like we participated and sponsored the research.
But it reads like the same thing being said for the past few weeks but in a different way. I find it amazing how they can have all this intel, yet didn't know there was a virus that was human transmittable.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #2634
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
And don't forget the forced sterilizations....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Em..._sterilization

It is breathtakingly astounding how determined some of you are to convince us of how ignorant and stupid you are.

That's a terrible sentence but I'm going to leave it there.

It is nothing short of hilarious reading your regurgitation of the ABC's America/Wealth/Catholic/White/Heterosexual hating propaganda.

I do not love America but I obviously know a lot more about the place than a lot of you do. You believe the utter garbage the media present ? Go overseas and look back over your shoulder at how we look to everyone else on the planet. OUR government, OUR tourists, OUR extremists, OUR businesses.

Understand their health system before you slag it off. Understand their motivation for their politics before you slag it off. Understand the cultural variations across the country before you lump them all in together. Are they perfect ? No. Are we ?? f no. They do things differently to us, some are better some worse mostly they are just different, as different as the French or the Norwegians.

Educating yourselves does not mean watching fing TV docos or reading opinions on SM.

Now that’s a rant! I had to wipe the rabid foam from my glasses

Not sure I understood a word of it but world class nonetheless. Points deducted for not mentioning Nazis, but 9/10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
6 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #2635
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

What’s up with Sweden (did I hear you ask).

Depending on who you ask, they are either fools or they’re prepared to look death in the eye (alcohol is optional)!

The truth seems to be...

There is no provision in the Swedish constitution that allows the imposition of a state of emergency during peacetime crisis. There are, however, provisions to do so if there is a war. As coronavirus is a health crisis and is not literally a war, Sweden cannot impose a state of emergency.

https://www.foreigner.fi/articulo/co...308005498.html
Old 03-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #2636
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Is this good or bad for us? Reads like we participated and sponsored the research.
But it reads like the same thing being said for the past few weeks but in a different way. I find it amazing how they can have all this intel, yet didn't know there was a virus that was human transmittable.
It's bad for us I believe. We're part of the 5 eyes group, it's unimaginable our intelligence agencies didn't know what was going on. It was discussed in 2014/15 to stop further research as reached by consensus of the scientific community, unless the intent was to further develop it to create a pandemic. Well guess what, some 5 years on and this is exactly what has happened.

China is rightfully ****ed off about an investigation some might say, because the US and AUS aren't interested in looking in their own back yard as to the origin of this virus.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #2637
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Like I said, Wackos will spew their rubbish on the internet.

Smart people will filter this and form their own opinions.

The simple answer is the believable one, the wacko one is not 👍
Old 03-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #2638
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

Correct. They couldn't even keep the censoring of doctors in the initial outbreak under wraps. Word got out immediately.

Furthermore, they released the doctors afterwards, which was a really strange move if you wanted to do a complete cover up?
Old 03-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #2639
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This is the world of Wacko conspiracy theories being post here and everywhere ��

The problem is dumb people believe this rubbish “because it’s on the internet”.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #2640
Work Horse
Budget Racer

“Where do they teach you to talk like this? In some Panama City "Sailor wanna hump-hump" bar, or is it getaway day and your last shot at his whiskey? Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.”