Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #2821
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
Just wondering are you a politician? It's "FACTS" like that that give conspiracy theorists an opening. I can and do sometimes stand in front of cars for hours at a time and none of them have killed me yet. Personally I like to question things and not blindly follow the masses.
OK pedant

"Standing in the middle of the highway will most likely get you killed"

Better?
Old 07-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #2822
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post

I hope that the world becomes a kinder, more compassionate place on the other side.
I'd like to agree with this sentiment FGS but 'kindness' and 'compassion' is often a double edged sword with a destructive agenda...
Old 07-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #2823
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
OK pedant

"Standing in the middle of the highway will most likely get you killed"

Better?
You have done it again. Sometimes cars are at standstill on freeways. And there is more to my comment than what you have noticed, but you probably won't see it because you are one of the sheeples.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #2824
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Yes, yes you are correct, several countries placed travel restrictions on China before the USA.

Mr Trump claimed he was the first.

So you get dragged into an arguement about what Mr Trump said.

So Mr Trump is winning, you are still talking about him...
True,

he’s winning 🤣

He and his mates love it.

It’s embarrassing when you compare this fool to the leaders our parents had.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #2825
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1
Like I said,

I look and laugh at dumb people that are attached to their political views.

If you have those, good luck, have another beer (or 12).

If not, and you have bipartisan views that’ll help our country recover in this crisis, then all the better.
You sound like the other side of your argument. Someone who believes everything the media and politicians tell you is 100% correct.

You are no better than the other side.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #2826
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
You sound like the other side of your argument. Someone who believes everything the media and politicians tell you is 100% correct.

You are no better than the other side.
I think about what is sensible.

There are no Conspiracies, just fruitcakes that try to make conspiracies real on the internet 👍
Old 07-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #2827
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
You have done it again. Sometimes cars are at standstill on freeways. And there is more to my comment than what you have noticed, but you probably won't see it because you are one of the sheeples.
Yes, I may have missed your point.

Hey, I know a really funny story about a guy who missed the point once. But it would take too long to tell and you probably wouldn't understand it anyway.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #2828
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I may have missed your point.

Hey, I know a really funny story about a guy who missed the point once. But it would take too long to tell and you probably wouldn't understand it anyway.
If someone stands in the middle of a highway, and survives a convoy of semis and B-doubles, in what direction would the wind be blowing??? I hope that clears the point up FGS...

I should do some work...
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 02:01 PM   #2829
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
True,

he’s winning 🤣

He and his mates love it.

It’s embarrassing when you compare this fool to the leaders our parents had.
What makes a great leader is up for debate I suspect.

History has a part in sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Unfortunately Mr Trump will go down in history as being at the helm when the USA had it's worst economic out comes in living memory.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #2830
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
If someone stands in the middle of a highway, and survives a convoy of semis and B-doubles, in what direction would the wind be blowing??? I hope that clears the point up FGS...

I should do some work...
The answer to all questions is money.

I'm not sure what that has to do with people standing in the middle of a highway but I'm sure if we spend money it will be fixed
4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #2831
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
What makes a great leader is up for debate I suspect.

History has a part in sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Unfortunately Mr Trump will go down in history as being at the helm when the USA had it's worst economic out comes in living memory.
OMG I'm getting dragged into a political row....

Trump's legacy will be much better than Obama's.

The POTUSA has 2 jobs.

1 is to set the mood for the country. Obama was good at that, Trump is terrible.

But history remembers the second, not the first. Administration of policy. The fact is Obama was a do nothing president. His campaign was one of platitudes and motherhood statements, he deliberately kept short on detail. Despite this he achieved almost none of his stated agenda. The only significant legislation that got done was the affordable health care act which was so poisoned by the finish it would have been better not to pass it. It will probably set back public health care in the USA years if not decades.

Now let me be clear, I really don't like Trump's agenda, but the fact is he went to the election with stated aims and he has kept more of his promises than any president I can remember. He literally achieved more in his first 2 years than Obama did in 8.

This isn't an endorsement of Trump, it's just a fact that in 100 years if you read an American history Trump will be lauded over Obama.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #2832
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post

The POTUSA has 2 jobs.

1 is to set the mood for the country. Obama was good at that, Trump is terrible.

But history remembers the second, not the first. Administration of policy. The fact is Obama was a do nothing president. His campaign was one of platitudes and motherhood statements, he deliberately kept short on detail. Despite this he achieved almost none of his stated agenda. The only significant legislation that got done was the affordable health care act which was so poisoned by the finish it would have been better not to pass it. It will probably set back public health care in the USA years if not decades.

Now let me be clear, I really don't like Trump's agenda, but the fact is he went to the election with stated aims and he has kept more of his promises than any president I can remember. He literally achieved more in his first 2 years than Obama did in 8.

This isn't an endorsement of Trump, it's just a fact that in 100 years if you read an American history Trump will be lauded over Obama.
Don't let facts get in the way. I have seen a comparison between what Trump has achieved vs Obummer, and it ain't pretty. And that's 3 years vs 8.

People get so blinded, or are just so unimformed about Trump they just sprout whatever they hear. With absolutely no idea on the facts involved.

Yeah he says dumb ****, but that doesn't change what he has done so far, nor does it change the chances of him being re-elected that are very, very high.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #2833
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Australia had 26 new cases (mostly Victoria) and 1 death so the CMR is up to 1.411% but active cases down to 11.5%.

NZ had 2 new cases and 1 death so the CMR rises to the same 1.411% as Australia while active cases are now up slightly to 13.5%.
Is it just me or does anyone else get excited when we pull slightly ahead of NZ and a bit depressed when they get ahead of us ?

I guess there is no cricket going on so...
Old 07-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #2834
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

The POTUSA has 2 jobs.

Thats only if you use Obama as the yard stick.

I still dont get our infatuation with US politics, other than any economic benefits WGAF. That show on the ABC "Plant America" is a joke, cant believe they have made that last or a career out of it.

I bet the general Australian citizen knows more about their politics than ours which is sad.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #2835
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:

The POTUSA has 2 jobs.

I was a little confused as to Trump's acomplishments, so I wen't to the Whitehouse Website and got this.

This is Trump's acomplishments, according to him

Quote:
Almost 4 million jobs created since election.
More Americans are now employed than ever recorded before in our history.
We have created more than 400,000 manufacturing jobs since my election.
Manufacturing jobs growing at the fastest rate in more than THREE DECADES.
Economic growth last quarter hit 4.2 percent.
New unemployment claims recently hit a 49-year low.
Median household income has hit highest level ever recorded.
African-American unemployment has recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.
Hispanic-American unemployment is at the lowest rate ever recorded.
Asian-American unemployment recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.
Women’s unemployment recently reached the lowest rate in 65 years.
Youth unemployment has recently hit the lowest rate in nearly half a century.
Lowest unemployment rate ever recorded for Americans without a high school diploma.
Under my Administration, veterans’ unemployment recently reached its lowest rate in nearly 20 years.
Almost 3.9 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps since the election.
The Pledge to America’s Workers has resulted in employers committing to train more than 4 million Americans. We are committed to VOCATIONAL education.
95 percent of U.S. manufacturers are optimistic about the future—the highest ever.
Retail sales surged last month, up another 6 percent over last year.
Signed the biggest package of tax cuts and reforms in history. After tax cuts, over $300 billion poured back in to the U.S. in the first quarter alone.
As a result of our tax bill, small businesses will have the lowest top marginal tax rate in more than 80 years.
Helped win U.S. bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.
Helped win U.S.-Mexico-Canada’s united bid for 2026 World Cup.
Opened ANWR and approved Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipelines.
Record number of regulations eliminated.
Enacted regulatory relief for community banks and credit unions.
Obamacare individual mandate penalty GONE.
My Administration is providing more affordable healthcare options for Americans through association health plans and short-term duration plans.
Last month, the FDA approved more affordable generic drugs than ever before in history. And thanks to our efforts, many drug companies are freezing or reversing planned price increases.
We reformed the Medicare program to stop hospitals from overcharging low-income seniors on their drugs—saving seniors hundreds of millions of dollars this year alone.
Signed Right-To-Try legislation.
Secured $6 billion in NEW funding to fight the opioid epidemic.
We have reduced high-dose opioid prescriptions by 16 percent during my first year in office.
Signed VA Choice Act and VA Accountability Act, expanded VA telehealth services, walk-in-clinics, and same-day urgent primary and mental health care.
Increased our coal exports by 60 percent; U.S. oil production recently reached all-time high.
United States is a net natural gas exporter for the first time since 1957.
Withdrew the United States from the job-killing Paris Climate Accord.
Cancelled the illegal, anti-coal, so-called Clean Power Plan.
Secured record $700 billion in military funding; $716 billion next year.
NATO allies are spending $69 billion more on defense since 2016.
Process has begun to make the Space Force the 6th branch of the Armed Forces.
Confirmed more circuit court judges than any other new administration.
Confirmed Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch and nominated Judge Brett Kavanaugh.
Withdrew from the horrible, one-sided Iran Deal.
Moved U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem.
Protecting Americans from terrorists with the Travel Ban, upheld by Supreme Court.
Issued Executive Order to keep open Guantanamo Bay.
Concluded a historic U.S.-Mexico Trade Deal to replace NAFTA. And negotiations with Canada are underway as we speak.
Reached a breakthrough agreement with the E.U. to increase U.S. exports.
Imposed tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum to protect our national security.
Imposed tariffs on China in response to China’s forced technology transfer, intellectual property theft, and their chronically abusive trade practices.
Net exports are on track to increase by $59 billion this year.
Improved vetting and screening for refugees, and switched focus to overseas resettlement.
We have begun BUILDING THE WALL. Republicans want STRONG BORDERS and NO CRIME. Democrats want OPEN BORDERS which equals MASSIVE CRIME.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #2836
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
But where was the concern for the huge amounts of people dying every year from malnourishment world wide??. Out of sight out of mind
How exactly are you going to feed those people ? Are you going to pay for and ship them tons and tons of food every year ? Or are you going to invade their countries and impose our western ways on them so they can feed themselves ?

Because in a lot of cases that's your 2 options. These are sovereign states who's governments are often more concerned with preserving their power than feeding their people. There is also sometimes cultural issues. I'm chief cheerleader for western civilization but even I wouldn't inflict us on the world giving the non westerners no say.

The problem with all these issues is they are hard. The simple stuff gets done in short order. The stuff you lot keep offering "common sense" solutions for are complex. That's why they haven't got sorted.

The world is far from perfect buy you (the collective "you") and your mates are not the only intelligent people on the planet. Your simple solutions have already been thought of and usually tried. They didn't work.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #2837
PhilT2

Quote:
You'll have to help me out here, I don't see too many achievements from Trump. Has the cheque from Mexico finally arrived to pay for the wall? Is Hillary in jail? The budget under control? Trumpcare up and running?
Only 20 million people signed up for Obamacare, if it's so bad why did they do that?
Obama managed the recovery from the GFC and there are many who disagree with how he did that. In the years to come we will be able to judge Trump's handling of this crisis against that. We can't assess the impact of Trump's health policy because there isn't one. When do you expect it?

Trump should get some credit for the economy although growth was stronger (at times) under Obama. But anyone can create growth by increasing govt spending and cutting taxes. A ten year old can see the flaws in that strategy.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #2838
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Where are the moderators when you want them?

People are putting **** on my mate Trump.

Long may he rain, or something like that.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #2839
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I was a little confused as to Trump's acomplishments, so I wen't to the Whitehouse Website and got this.

Yeah nah. Political nonsense.

Trump promised supreme court noms, he's done 2. Promised tax cuts, got that done. Promised the wall, some wall has been built but more importantly he's really put off immigrants from SA. For the people who support his agenda this is gold. They are dancin fools...

On the other hand Obama promised to close guantanamo bay, still open. Affordable health care became a disaster...

PLEASE understand I'm not advocating for any of these policies, just pointing out that Trump like him or hate him has delivered on the admin side.

And I am 100% certain he will be re-elected. His campaign will tear Biden to shreds. It's going to be ugly but the outcome is pretty much certain. Again _I_ don't care if he's re-elected I just find the analysis amusing.

As I've said before roughly 1/3 the population vote left, 1/3 vote right. Their votes are fixed no matter who the candidate. About 1/3 of juristictions are in play teh rest are either overwhelmingly cons or soc so swing voters don't count. So the people who elect governments (or presidents) are 1/3 of 1/3, swing voters in marginal seats/states. Effectively 4-8% of the electorate in australia. America is a tad more complicated because of optional voting etc. So to pick an election outcome you look at what those people are thinking. I remember 2016 so well. My friends in the USA, normal people not the nutters you see on TV, were in despair. They disliked both options. Then Hilary uttered those 3 magic words and right there lost the election. Done deal. The change in what my friends were saying was amazing. It was actually breathtaking to watch.

Biden has been in politics since the 70's. He's got enormous baggage, and a serious credible sexual assault claim against him. Trump himself won't attack him on that but the secondary campaigns will. All they need to do is sow enough doubt among the swingers and they will pick the devil they know.

2c...
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #2840
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
The problem was that the virus had already spread to Europe and infection spread from there to the US beginning in January. Trump didn't stop those flights till March.
https://nationalpost.com/news/covid-...ay-researchers
Agreed, mentioned that in an earlier post.

Plus the US had 400k of citizens in China to repatriate.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #2841
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Where are the moderators when you want them?

People are putting **** on my mate Trump.

Long may he rain, or something like that.
Is that rain golden ? Or was it reins ?
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 03:16 PM   #2842
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Is that rain golden ? Or was it reins ?
Or reigns?
Old 07-05-2020, 03:20 PM   #2843
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I bet the general Australian citizen knows more about their politics than ours which is sad.
True; ask anyone who was the first US president then ask who was our first prime minister.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #2844
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
The US banned Chinese travellers on Feb the 1st.

Who’s leading who ?
January 31: Trump blocks travel from China

Trump issues an executive order blocking entry to the US from anyone who has been in China in the last 14 days. It does not apply to US residents and family members or spouses of US residents or citizens.

The order becomes effective on February 2.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...131306831.html
Also

Within hours of President Trump's decision to restrict travel from China on Jan. 31, top Democrats and media figures immediately derided the move as unnecessary and xenophobic -- and they are now beating a hasty retreat from that position as the coronavirus continues to ravage the economy and cause scores of deaths.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem...ina-travel-ban

To keep on topic Cuomo was saying that 66% of new infections in New York state are people who have been isolating and following the stay in place rules
Old 07-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #2845
knight rider
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post

Think his greatest achievement was getting elected in the first place not bad for 12 year old boy stuck in a mans body
Probably why the north Korean Kim Jong kickatinalong seems to put up with trump
I do like Trump sticking to the Chinese though
Old 07-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #2846
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Some countries are starting to make solid inroads into testing.

The Faeroe Islands tested 16.86% of their admittedly small population;
Iceland has tested 15.4% of their even smaller population; and
The UAE has managed to test 12.13% of their quite large (9M) population.

The UK is at 2.1%, the USA at 2.4%, Australia at 2.7%, Russia at 3.1%, NZ and Germany at 3.3%, Italy at 3.8% and Spain at 4.1%.

Plenty of countries, including some badly impacted ones, are still well below 1% like Mexico (0.08), Pakistan (0.10), Brazil (0.16), Ecuador (0.46) and Iran (0.63).

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #2847
PhilT2

Quote:
Trump promised supreme court noms, he's done 2. Promised tax cuts, got that done. Promised the wall, some wall has been built but more importantly he's really put off immigrants from SA. For the people who support his agenda this is gold. They are dancin fools....
Any fool can do tax cuts, spending cuts are the tricky part. Trump totally failed at budget balancing. Meaningless now of course, the debt blowout and being impeached will be Trump's legacy.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #2848
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Apart from statistically disadvantaged countries with small case numbers, Belgium still has the worst case mortality rate with 16.42% of cases resulting in death - followed by the UK (14.956%), France (14.816%) and Italy with 13.411%. The global average is 6.928%.

Again, ignoring statistical anomalies; Qatar has the highest number of cases per 100k of population at 623.8 - followed by Luxembourg (615), Spain (542), Iceland (527) and Ireland with 450. Conversely, 30 countries have less than 1 case per 100k and a further 49 countries have less than 10 per 100k while Australia (26.96) and New Zealand (30.86) are in the lower 60th percentile. The global average is 48.97/100k.

It's a different story for deaths per 100k with Belgium having 71.95, Spain 55.3, Italy 49 and the UK having just over 44. 37 countries have had at least one case with no recorded deaths and a further 100 countries have less than 1 death per 100k of population. The global average is 3.393 and Australia has 0.380 per 100k.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #2849
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Dead Zone Plague (cira 2003)

https://youtu.be/jY6-HvE5YdU

Tell me again we aren’t living in a pre-programmed simulation.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #2850
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
True; ask anyone who was the first US president then ask who was our first prime minister.
Ah, George and Malcolm?
Closed Thread