Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-01-2022, 11:06 AM   #18001
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Leesa, I am nearing retirement age, but over the last couple of years of the Pandemic, the thought of Covid or its variants, affecting my lifespan in the twilight of my life, has never once crossed my mind.

What does often cross my mind as I get older though, is the usual fears of Cancer, Diabetes, and Dementia, of which (as far as I am aware) I do not have as yet. (Touch wood).
Strange thought process from Leesa got to say......

I'm the same nearing the general retirement age not that I will fully retire in anycase BUT thinking ahead covid doesn't change my train of thought one bit unless I was a unwell person or having underlying issues I don't know of. Sure those people need to keep on top of their probs.
Your last paragraph is what its all about as your aging, check ups are the smart thing to do - keep on top of your health.
Thats what I have done for years.....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #18002
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Australia
NSW records 29,504 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 1.0176 (from 1.0428) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend line.

VIC records 22,429 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 0.7974 (from 1.0207) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend.

No States set new daily highs yesterday (16/1).

Finally, here is the predictive trend graph for three States based on cases since Omicron was identified which, for our purposes, will be taken as December 1st. Note that Queensland numbers are a day behind the other two States.

Observatio Facta Rotae

This user likes this post:
Old 17-01-2022, 12:45 PM   #18003
leesa

To be fair I wasn’t really referring to people already at retirement age. If you’re nearly there, you’ve already had a good life with the majority of it unimpeded by a pandemic or epidemic. You probably already own a house and have an established career.

Think of the teens at the moment and how their life will play out. Covid has affected their schooling, it will have an effect on getting a job and starting a career. They still have to pay considerably more for housing than you guys probably did, they’ll get told repeatedly by older generations that they have to work hard for a good retirement and can’t have everything now.. but when they finally get to that age there will still be a disease around that kills the elderly in greater numbers than the flu… as well as the flu still being around too. Then there’s having to live with the climate change consequences that prior generations caused, what a life to look forward to.

Old 17-01-2022, 12:51 PM   #18004
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 16th 2022.

86,060 new cases for Australia and 40 deaths so the CMR is 0.155%.

NZ recorded 68 cases and 0 deaths for a CMR of 0.358%.

The UK recorded 70,160 cases and 88 deaths for a CMR of 0.999%.

454,748 new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,063 deaths sees CMR at 1.310%.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases pass 328M;
Europe passes 104M cases;
Asia passes 90M cases;
South America passes 43M cases;
Brazil passes 23M cases;
France passes 14M cases;

Jamaica (1,968);
Chile (9,509);
Ecuador (11,090) on 15/1;
Uruguay (12,574);
Kazakhstan (13,523);
Bolivia (14,460) on 15/1;
Netherlands (36,231); and
Mexico (47,113);

... all recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Kyrgyzstan and Egypt move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and Slovakia drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 02-02-2022 at 12:48 AM.
Old 17-01-2022, 02:47 PM   #18005
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
T but when they finally get to that age there will still be a disease around that kills the elderly in greater numbers than the flu…
This is not a doomsday disease. Vaccination is proving to be a great protection, look at the data. Just two years on and they are already releasing treatments that are 90% effective if you are either unvaccinated, or the few who are vaccinated where they still get sick.

This will stay with us, but it will not be anything like heart disease or Alzheimer's, it will end up just like the flu. Prevention and treatments will get better and better. (If you told people in 1910's that the flu would still be with us in 2020+, they probably would have thought the same as you are).

I hope you are not scaring kids with these thoughts.

2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2022, 03:03 PM   #18006
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Well you were referring to retiring age.
Nice bait at times which is curious to see how others think.
Praise the lord my kids are completely opposite to Leesa.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
3 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2022, 03:06 PM   #18007
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To be fair I wasn’t really referring to people already at retirement age. If you’re nearly there, you’ve already had a good life with the majority of it unimpeded by a pandemic or epidemic. You probably already own a house and have an established career.

Think of the teens at the moment and how their life will play out. Covid has affected their schooling, it will have an effect on getting a job and starting a career. They still have to pay considerably more for housing than you guys probably did, they’ll get told repeatedly by older generations that they have to work hard for a good retirement and can’t have everything now.. but when they finally get to that age there will still be a disease around that kills the elderly in greater numbers than the flu… as well as the flu still being around too. Then there’s having to live with the climate change consequences that prior generations caused, what a life to look forward to.

Retirement still 2 or 3 decades away for me, but have seen the impact on my parents. They've had to make adjustments to their hobbies and activities, but I wouldn't say it has been life altering. Just need to take precautions.

So unless you had planned to retire spending most of your time on cruise ships, I think people will find a way to adapt and still live a happy life.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2022, 03:49 PM   #18008
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Strange thought process from Leesa got to say......

I'm the same nearing the general retirement age not that I will fully retire in anycase BUT thinking ahead covid doesn't change my train of thought one bit unless I was a unwell person or having underlying issues I don't know of. Sure those people need to keep on top of their probs.
Your last paragraph is what its all about as your aging, check ups are the smart thing to do - keep on top of your health.
Thats what I have done for years.....
Not really, if you could wind back the clock 2 years and ask all the under 70's, who we're managing their comorbidities only to pass away due to complications of combining them with Covid, what they think they'd be doing on the 17th day of January 2022 I doubt many would say pushing daisies.
It has already cut short many future/retirement plans and will continue to do so.

Having said that you still have to go about your business living life, no good hiding away nor is there being in denial.
I have a couple of underlying issues which could quite eadily see me struggle with a dose of Covid, I've also had 2 years to deal with it, something Im grateful for having spent that time in a relatively safe part of the World.
Im still building my house, it remains to be seen for how long I enjoy it or any subsequent.

I worry a great deal for my Mother and Inlaws all of whom have underlying issues and until 2yrs ago enjoyed the ease of holidaying on cruise ships, it has deminished their twilight years.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2022, 04:09 PM   #18009
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Hearing the way my daughters and my grandkids talk of this virus and all of the world problems does not seem to faze them in any way, if any they hold lots of plans and hope for the future, makes me wonder who you are listenening to.
There has been plenty of doomsday scenerios throughout my life and I tend to ignore them and get on with life as one should.
You only live once so make the best of it!

Cheers.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2022, 04:55 PM   #18010
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Not really, if you could wind back the clock 2 years and ask all the under 70's, who we're managing their comorbidities only to pass away due to complications of combining them with Covid, what they think they'd be doing on the 17th day of January 2022 I doubt many would say pushing daisies.
It has already cut short many future/retirement plans and will continue to do so.
Yeah that better sums up what I'm trying to say. All the people who are going to die despite having issues that previously they could have managed well enough to keep them alive to see out a good retirement. Now there's just another disease ready and waiting to knock people off at the end of their life. It's just not fair, is all.

Old 17-01-2022, 05:47 PM   #18011
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yeah that better sums up what I'm trying to say. All the people who are going to die despite having issues that previously they could have managed well enough to keep them alive to see out a good retirement. Now there's just another disease ready and waiting to knock people off at the end of their life. It's just not fair, is all.
This is probably way out of line with your thought process but it's just possible that, like back in the 60's and 70's, one of your terrified teens will grow up to discover another medical breakthrough like the measles vaccine or IVF.
Old 17-01-2022, 05:55 PM   #18012
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Curious, for those that have taken the booster, would you take the Omnicron specific jab if/when it becomes available?

Greg Hunt has asked Pfizer to ‘prioritise’ supply of its Omicron-specific vaccine to Australia as the Morrison government gears up for re-election
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...r-re-election/

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 17-01-2022, 06:44 PM   #18013
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Curious, for those that have taken the booster, would you take the Omnicron specific jab if/when it becomes available?
No. Omicron is so many mutations away from the original covid-19, it's possibly not likely to provide any meaningful protection against a new variant that isnt omicron-derived.
Old 17-01-2022, 07:45 PM   #18014
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
This is probably way out of line with your thought process but it's just possible that, like back in the 60's and 70's, one of your terrified teens will grow up to discover another medical breakthrough like the measles vaccine or IVF.
Agree, think people are looking into the crystal ball the wrong way if they get my drift.
Old 17-01-2022, 07:48 PM   #18015
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Greg Hunt has asked Pfizer to ‘prioritise’ supply of its Omicron-specific vaccine to Australia as the Morrison government gears up for re-election
Maybe if my GP recommends it after consultation which I think all people should do depending on with your medical condition.
Old 18-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #18016
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Australia
NSW records 29,830 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 1.0019 (from 1.0176) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend line.

VIC records 20,180 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 0.9775 (from 1.0014) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend.

No States set new daily highs yesterday (17/1).

Finally, here is the predictive trend graph for three States based on cases since Omicron was identified which, for our purposes, will be taken as December 1st. Note that Queensland numbers are a day behind the other two States. This trend line has been amended to a 3rd order polynomial to better reflect NSW/VIC trends and that will be reflected in the other two graphs tomorrow.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 18-01-2022 at 10:39 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2022, 11:42 AM   #18017
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

I would. I got my booster a month ago now (3x Pfizer).

I'm wondering if there will be any harm / benefit if getting the AZ booster next?

They do ask what you had first when booking the booster but many have been mixing and matching the vaccinations in the past.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2022, 12:02 PM   #18018
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 17th 2022.

74,665 new cases for Australia and 26 deaths so the CMR is 0.140%.

NZ recorded 88 cases and 0 deaths for a CMR of 0.344%.

The UK recorded 88,130 cases and 88 deaths for a CMR of 0.994%.

416,745 new cases in the USA yesterday and 547 deaths sees CMR at 1.302%.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 330M;
Europe passes 105M cases;
North America passes 79M cases;
The USA passes 67M cases;

Uzbekistan (1,037) – the previous high (981) on 4/8/20;
Kuwait (5,147);
Bulgaria (9,996);
Switzerland (26,294) on 15/1;
Japan (26,881) – the previous high (25,877) on 21/8/21;
Denmark (26,965); and
Netherlands (42,352);

... all recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Russia, Pakistan, Jordan and Bangladesh move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and Zimbabwe drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 02-02-2022 at 12:49 AM.
Old 18-01-2022, 12:12 PM   #18019
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

No, I just went for my 3rd or booster shot of Pfizer, but its been put off until Thursday, it's a month early anyway according to the vaccination regimen.
But the WA Government sent me an email telling me to get it done early?
I just asked my GP if it's ok to have it a month earlier than the Government protocol states, he just said yes, you could of had one vaccination a week and get the same result?.....he did not elaborate and I dident feel like pushing it with him, but I trust his judgement and I have designated him as the only person to treat me, so all these great specialists are now in the bin, they cannot treat me, only my GP can treat me and medicate me, I trust him.
Old 18-01-2022, 02:46 PM   #18020
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other day, I noticed the FindARAT website had a kit listed in Parliament House, ACT, for $10,000,000 Now this....

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard reveals he is victim of fraudulent COVID test reporting
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-...test/100763308

This is why we can't have nice things.

Surely there is ID requirements when you submit a RAT result?!?! Link to medicare card no? Ripe for abuse.

Rides (past and present)

Old 18-01-2022, 03:01 PM   #18021
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
The other day, I noticed the FindARAT website had a kit listed in Parliament House, ACT, for $10,000,000 Now this....

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard reveals he is victim of fraudulent COVID test reporting
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-...test/100763308

This is why we can't have nice things.

Surely there is ID requirements when you submit a RAT result?!?! Link to medicare card no? Ripe for abuse.
This is such a **** show now they need to drop testing and just accept its going to be like the flu until we start get massive amounts in ICU or dead...im not going to constantly to RAT tests.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-01-2022, 03:25 PM   #18022
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
‘Code brown’: Victoria activates hospital emergency trigger

Victoria has declared a ‘code brown’ emergency for all metropolitan hospitals and six regional ones in response to Covid.

Victorian authorities have called a “code brown” on for all metropolitan hospitals and six major regional ones as the Omicron wave causes chaos.
Is this to say the sh*t has hit the fan in Victoria.

Surely they know what "Code Brown" alternatively means and could have picked another colour.

https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...80e181bf0d06c5
Old 18-01-2022, 03:32 PM   #18023
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
This is such a **** show now they need to drop testing and just accept its going to be like the flu until we start get massive amounts in ICU or dead...im not going to constantly to RAT tests.
ICU and deaths are lagging indicators. Too late.

Victoria just gone into code BROWN at hospitals. Only covid deaths getting the headlines, but you gotta wonder how many other non covid related deaths could have been prevented if the hospitals were not overwhelmed. Elective surgery also been put on hold in major cities, there will be long term consequences.

There will be a time to treat it like the flu, but not at the moment IMHO.

Rides (past and present)

Old 18-01-2022, 03:43 PM   #18024
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

Victoria just gone into code BROWN at hospitals. Only covid deaths getting the headlines, but you gotta wonder how many other non covid related deaths could have been prevented if the hospitals were not overwhelmed. Elective surgery also been put on hold in major cities, there will be long term consequences.

Well I dont know how you lot but other than this thread and if I happen to over hear it then I dont even pay attention to the numbers. We have essentially done all we can, you cant keep on changing the the rules based on test numbers anymore IMHO.

Different story if the vax rate was <90% or so.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-01-2022, 03:43 PM   #18025
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

Same as here last year NON URGENT elective surgery will be deferred.
Old 18-01-2022, 03:49 PM   #18026
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
Is this to say the sh*t has hit the fan in Victoria.

Surely they know what "Code Brown" alternatively means and could have picked another colour.

https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...80e181bf0d06c5
Its the national coding system Shouldn't laugh at "they", whole country may turn brown at some stage...

Rides (past and present)

Old 18-01-2022, 04:27 PM   #18027
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its the national coding system Shouldn't laugh at "they", whole country may turn brown at some stage...
I realise that...

But whenever I hear someone say Code Brown my mind instantly turns to the times I'd seen a drunk mate the morning after or the other mate who got food poisoning from the Dirty Bird running down the hallway, cheeks clenched, finger plugging the hole to stop the turtle head poking out yelling "get the fu*k out the way. Code Brown. Code Brown".

Or when Mum came home and used it one night.

She worked in the high care section of a oldies home. They had one resident that was non-verbal and rather sick. But somehow she'd hold of going to the crapper for 3 to 4 days... Then one day when she was full, a couple of carers would walk into her room (she'd wait for someone to watch) and this little old non-verbal normally sad lady would look up, eye's full of fun and excitement, scrunch her face, squeeze down and all 3 to 4 days of liquid poo would shoot up out the back of her nappy, all over her back, up the wall, the bed, the side tables, drip down on the floor. If Mum was there she'd say "that's terrible, naughty naughty X" and the little old lady would smile, look very pleased with herself and withdraw to her normal self.

Apparently one night Mum was training the new girl and the lady did this and in a panic the new girl ran up behind and put her hand over the gushing poo, like you would when water comes gushing up out of a tap or something, causing all the poo to go sideways all over the resident in the next bed and all down the front of the poor new girl.

From then on it was "Code Brown room X".

So they need to think of a better colour to describe it... Please...
Old 18-01-2022, 05:19 PM   #18028
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Elective surgery also been put on hold in major cities, there will be long term consequences.
Elective surgeries in the public system are always performed long after the patient wishes to have them done. What are the consequences of that?

Reality is, we don't bat an eyelid during flu season, but that's about where we are in terms of hospitalisations, though the death rate seems to be about 50% higher so far. The main issue seems to be the infection control measures and the inefficiencies they create, not so much the absolute number of cases. There's something to be said for letting it rip and getting it over with, rather than hard restrictions and a long drawn out wave of infections.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2022, 05:35 PM   #18029
tweeked
N/A all the way

So 5% of the population unvaccinated is about 1/2 of the ICU utilisation due to Covid.

Simple maths tells everyone that if the remainder was vaccinated we would halve the ICU load. So we would not be in anywhere near the current trouble if they were not ignoring science and medical advice and got vaccinated.

Sort of spells out to the "my body my choice" brigade that it is more complex than that. They are directly affecting other peoples bodies and other peoples choices.

4 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2022, 05:43 PM   #18030
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have to admit me and the wife looked at each other and laughed when we heard it was code brown for the hospitals, they had all the colours of the rainbow to choose from....
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Closed Thread