Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
AusM
AusMotorsport

Default Comprehensive FG FPV drive test report

Full FG FPV drive test report now up on the PF forum:

Quote:
... Last issue I told you the FG XR6T wasn’t the car for me and that I was waiting to drive the F6 to see if that would be my new Falcon, the third in a row since BA was released, but the FPV launch has actually left me with more questions than when I started. I love the raw power of the F6. Nothing I have ever driven straight out of a showroom in standard form comes close to providing the same thrills per dollar. I dare FPV’s Aussie six monster torque swansong will be hard to top come 2010 and the twin-turbo Duratec V6, but the suspension and steering geometry carry-over from XR6T has left them with the same twitchy steering in everyday driving conditions and a ride that’s a fraction too harsh.

The Boss 315-powered sedans on the other hand seem to use that extra weight over the front axle to better effect, and as such the steering feels slightly subdued while the ride feels less compromised and more absorbent over the suburban two-lane black-top. Considering both hunker-down and ride and steer like a scalded cat when you want to go fast, it’s really coming down to how you use your particular car as to which I think you’d buy...
Read the full review:
http://performanceford.com.au/forum/...5&p=2414#p2414

Would love to hear your thoughts!

AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
andrewts
White Car Driver

Good write up, although it is worrying to hear about the quality issues, ie rattling tweeters and drafty windows. If you throwing all your money at a good car, you want a good car, right? Eh.
Old 18-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Nothing new really............F6 is faster but the GT is a more rewarding drive.

Its the head v the heart argument...........personal choice is the biggest splitter here and as was rightly pointed out........an F6 buyer is not a GT buyer and vice versa.

Everyone is a winner. The F6 buyer should be happy because its a better car than the old one and the GT buyer should be happy because it too is a better car than the old one.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

This is an interesting figure... "In 2007, FPV sold 2127 vehicles; 71% of those were V8 powered, the remaining 29% had the 4.0L turbo six. So you can see the GT stands up quite well, despite what many turbo buyers think."
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
This is an interesting figure... "In 2007, FPV sold 2127 vehicles; 71% of those were V8 powered, the remaining 29% had the 4.0L turbo six. So you can see the GT stands up quite well, despite what many turbo buyers think."
Rather compelling stats....

Old 18-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
anakha

I think you'll see those percentages shift towards the F6 over the next couple of years. Also in 10-15 years if the driving scene hasn't taken a radical turn into the unknown from fuel prices or as yet undeveloped technology I'd rather own the F6.

I say this as current ED Sprint owner of 8 years and a recent buyer of an BF MkII XR6T.

The GT may make the right noises but the Boss V8 will never be the motor the GT should have had to succeed the Cleveland. At least the next generation V8 will have been a RWD performance engine from the initial design point.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
GTP290

It is as it should be, the GT is the Grand Tourer, and the F6, is the track hero.
GTHO is another matter entirley though, it should be better than the F6, so please Ford, make a GTHO and supercharge the GTHO and make it a road/track lightweight special, even if its only 50 of the things!
Old 18-05-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you have double the amount of V8 models than 6cyl models you kind of expect a 71% sales spread. Dont forget the two special edition V8 models either, which would have accounted for half those sales.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
i think you'll find that most people who buy these cars don't base their decision on the straight line speed statistics.

as quick as the turbo is, if i had the coin i would buy a gt.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i think you'll find that most people who buy these cars don't base their decision on the straight line speed statistics.

as quick as the turbo is, if i had the coin i would buy a gt.
I'm not so sure myself these days.

I don't know if it's age catching up to me, a little senility or just a need for change. If I was buying an FPV today it would probably be the hair dryer though I couldn't make a definitive decision until I drove them back to back. Perhaps it's compensation for being a little more agile than the V8's, something that I lack as each day goes by...

There was a mid 40k Typhoon at Peter Warrens that I had to keep dragging myself out of, If I was looking for a used car, that would probably be in my garage right now.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
When you have double the amount of V8 models than 6cyl models you kind of expect a 71% sales spread. Dont forget the two special edition V8 models either, which would have accounted for half those sales.
That's a good point. It would be interesting to see how sales would go if there was an F6-P, F6-E as well as a Super F6 ute and no special edition V8's. That would square the ledger up a bit.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #12
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

How soon before we find out F6 0-100 times??

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Rather compelling stats....
In the same year the largest selling motorcycle in Australia was Harley Davidson.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #14
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Excellent review there, well structured and executed.

Nail duely hit on the head with your V8 / 6T buyer demographic and their requirements for their respective car.

Thanks for posting up.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #15
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign
Full FG FPV drive test report now up on the PF forum:

Read the full review:
http://performanceford.com.au/forum/...5&p=2414#p2414

Would love to hear your thoughts!

what an excelant write up mate . how could anyone criticise that ?? as a fdord enthusiast . i am happy to read what you wrote . you havent criticised one over the other . and have pointed out the best values and differant points of both F6 AND GT's. WHAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME , IS BRING ME CLOSER TO THE F6, whilst enthrill my enthusiasm for the V8.
BEFORE FG . i wouldnt of even considered an f6 or xr6t. it would be xr8/or gt for me . now i think i would've tossed FG XR8 IN THE BIN . / and couldnt buy without driving them all 1st . like xr6, g6, g6e, xr6t, F6,GT,GT-P. ( not old enough yet to even look at the pussy GTE ) .
WHICH TELLS ME ONE THING . i think the FG , has created more choice, with a familiar destiction across the range . where as BA/BF the choice was pretty clear cut depending on what you like .

THANKS FOR THE WRITE UP. IT SEEMS TO BE THE LEASRT CRITICISING AND BIAS REPORT I HAVE READ YET . CHEERS.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
what an excelant write up mate . how could anyone criticise that ?? as a fdord enthusiast . i am happy to read what you wrote .
You're an fdord enthusiast too?!?! I thought I was the only one!! :
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #17
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
The guys at the Proving Ground are running between 4.8 and 5.1....... Either way, bloody quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With a best time of 4.78....... :

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #18
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute6
The guys at the Proving Ground are running between 4.8 and 5.1....... Either way, bloody quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With a best time of 4.78....... :
manual or auto times?
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
Sprint347
Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
i read in a motor (or maybe wheels) mag last night that the G6TE is quicker than the VE GTS to 100 and the 1/4!
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #20
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrane
i read in a motor (or maybe wheels) mag last night that the G6TE is quicker than the VE GTS to 100 and the 1/4!
Yeah, has been known for a while... I saw that Russ wrote in the reviews section that the GT 315 got a 5.4 0-100. Can anyone confirm this?

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post