Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default They say it happens in threes >:(

Well things can't stay all good for too long and things always happen at the worst possible time. With the mrs car out of action (permanently) due to a tree branch last Wednesday in the storms and the replacement, her nans, in such a bad state I wouldn't drive it in a paddock it was naturally the XR's turn for a problem.

So getting to the point of this thread/rant, I have an odd noise coming from I now think the front passenger corner of the XR. I noticed it when taking off a few times from traffic lights last night on the way home which at first made me think it was auto related but tonight as I was pulling into my driveway I heard it again.

It sounds like a groaning/moaning sound making me think brakes or wheel bearing related. It only does it at very low speeds, taking off or coming to a stop with the steering not straight. Any thoughts before I take it in to a brake/suspension shop.

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Check wheel nuts. Bluprint Micks ute had the same problem last week end

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Check wheel nuts. Bluprint Micks ute had the same problem last week end
Were they too tight or loose, I just re tightened mine the other day.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Loose. failing that dont mess with it get it checked properly .. too late when you figure its a bearing or steering component breaks whislt driving it
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

From a bloke that has virtually every part of the car break ..it sounds like..worn pads.. worn left lower ball joint....Does it happen when turning into corners slow as well ?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Loose. failing that dont mess with it get it checked properly .. too late when you figure its a bearing or steering component breaks whislt driving it
Too true, only problem is with all the other cars out of action I don't have any choice but to drive it tomorrow. Got to do 60 odd k each way up the freeway too. : : :
Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
From a bloke that has virtually every part of the car break ..it sounds like..worn pads.. worn left lower ball joint....Does it happen when turning into corners slow as well ?
Haven't heard it on slow corners and the pads were pretty good when they went in 6 weeks ago, Shaynets old premos from the TL50 so I don't think that is the problem. Unless of course I've given them a bit of a hard time (I have) and something has gone awry and needs to be re tightened. I should mention there has been a bit of a creak from the front end when I reverse over a bump/out of a driveway at low speeds that has been there since I got the car so maybe a lower ball joint is the problem.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I've replace 95% of suspension rubbers, and i've had that issue... ball joint and A-Arm rubbers where my issue...
Old 07-04-2008, 04:47 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

get the bushes checked out ... I have a squeak in the front (and a rattle) that is starting to annoy me.

Could be any number of bushes ... My next ones to replace on my ute are the swaybar bushes.

Best thing to do ... get one of those safety checks and see what the come up with (go to someone reputable though just to make sure they aren't telling you porkies).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Noise got slightly worse over the last couple of days so along with my groaning there is a "cracking" sound too. This is all good though as it made it easier to find the problem. Lower balljoints are not in a real good way so it's off on Friday for that and to get the IRS top shock mounts replaces at the same time as of course being 50k since they were last done they are shagged. For now I am "driving" a Hyundai Getz....YAAAY not.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I had a similar situation with my AU and ended up going to pedders to get a 28 point safety check for $14. Found out my lower control arm bushes were shagged as well as 'd' bushes on the front sway. Got them fixed and it steers sweet now.

My advice is, get it inspected & diagnosed first. Then make up your mind as to what you want to do.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I had a similar situation with my AU and ended up going to pedders to get a 28 point safety check for $14. Found out my lower control arm bushes were shagged as well as 'd' bushes on the front sway. Got them fixed and it steers sweet now.

My advice is, get it inspected & diagnosed first. Then make up your mind as to what you want to do.
That's what I had done this morning. These are the things the inspection showed up, not a pedders one as the pedders up here is pretty dodgy. All up it will cost me less than $500.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
That's what I had done this morning. These are the things the inspection showed up, not a pedders one as the pedders up here is pretty dodgy. All up it will cost me less than $500.
Thats a good price Russell. How does the car drive now?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-04-2008, 01:09 AM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Thats a good price Russell. How does the car drive now?
Gets done on Friday, atm is it a bit jittery and nervous over mid corner bumps which is not a usual characteristic of the AU.

As for price I have saved myself $50 by shopping around with Ford dealers. Ford up here wanted $102 a side for the mounts where as City Ford in Melb. (on the way to work) only wanted $77 a side. Suspension joint is only charging me $100 to install them because they are doing the balljoints at the same time.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #15
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I reckon it should be a well noticeable difference. Something certainly worth doing.

Those prices dont sound too unreasonable. Shopping around has paid off.

Let us know how it feels over the weekend. ;)

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I reckon it should be a well noticeable difference. Something certainly worth doing.

Those prices dont sound too unreasonable. Shopping around has paid off.

Let us know how it feels over the weekend. ;)
Shall do, I'll even post up a couple of pics so we all know what a shagged mount looks like lol.