Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #61
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Might be a little late for me, ill prolly head out at 9am if i can. Ill take advantage of the lull in traffic after 9 and before 10 that way.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 10:33 AM   #62
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
im heading over early friday morning, staying in werribee overnight then head over to heathcote saturday arvo with casper. What time are you leaving adelaide and from where?
Yep today's the day. Hope things work out as well for you as they did for me (just got my car back yesterday) !

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #63
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Yup todays the day.... again!
Also left some eagle eliminator leads for them to install today as well.

Ill ring them up at lunch and see how its going and update yas here with the news, good or bad.

"Yes Dave we fitted the cam, but then a valve dropped into a cylinder when we fired it up and well... you better get down here."

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 11-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #64
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

rang at lunch, i ****ing new it, the super saloon cam that came back from queensland has a crack in it, exposed from when it was reground. So now they are trying to source me another cam today, before I start loading the shotgun.

I spose I should be happy, plenty of folks wud have shoved the screwed cam in and taken my money.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 11-02-2005, 02:54 PM   #65
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Do it right and do it right the first time.

If it takes a while but it's done correctlty its worth the wait.

Old 13-02-2005, 08:46 PM   #66
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, I have also booked in to Road & Track for a Chiptorque Interceptor chip to be fitted to my AUII Xr6 VCT. According to them, and with my mods (PH4480 headers, Redback 2.5inch cat back, T series snorkel and K&N intake mods) gives the best opportunity to maximise power gains from this chip. I will post my results as soon as I get it back. Should be interesting reading for VCT owners!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #67
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
Yes, I have also booked in to Road & Track for a Chiptorque Interceptor chip to be fitted to my AUII Xr6 VCT. According to them, and with my mods (PH4480 headers, Redback 2.5inch cat back, T series snorkel and K&N intake mods) gives the best opportunity to maximise power gains from this chip. I will post my results as soon as I get it back. Should be interesting reading for VCT owners!
lol..nothing they havent all read before.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2005, 01:27 AM   #68
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What do you mean Casper - I thought the paccies were no good for the VCT?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #69
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
What do you mean Casper - I thought the paccies were no good for the VCT?
True JC, I was referring more to the Chiptorque chip in the VCT though. Regardless of what it is (unichip, Chiptorque, etc) it is a massive leap in performance for the VCT. They really NEED a chip to get the best out of them.
As for the 4480 pacies, theres been a few with them (including you) that never saw any significant results from them as is usually expected when fitting extractors.
I personally do not think they work very well, if at all, with the VCT engine as far as performance goes.
There is, however, a new twist to this which I am unsure how it effects the results.
All the VCT's I'm aware of that had the 4480 pacies were series1. On a series2 the results may be a little different (although I expect not) as I suspect there is a slight running change on the VCT head between models.
There appears to be a flaw in the Series1 head design that has dropped its compression ratio slightly. This seems to have been fixed in the AU2/3 VCT head.
I have no proof of this yet, just speculation, however I will have my hands on a VCT Series2 head shortly....and answers will be found.

Last edited by Casper; 14-02-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 19-02-2005, 10:43 AM   #70
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Well the cam is finally in

122rwkw at around 120kph
250nm at around 80kph

These figures are not in shoot 6 mode, just test mode.

ECU was reset so the idle is a bit lumpy at the moment, but im sure it will improve as the chip did when it went in.

The new power curves are a bit different, ive lost about 15kw down low since the chip went in, but even after a day this seems to be improving as I drive it. I think i might get a dyno done in melbourne while im over there after everything is run in and th ECU is out of retard mode.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Last edited by Casper; 19-02-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 19-02-2005, 05:11 PM   #71
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

How does it feel sour bastard..?
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 08:49 AM   #72
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

It feels ok, power is definately increased, low down power seems to be returning as the ECU relearns, however it smells weird, im not sure if its a smell from the engine being very rich or some sort of smell from the cam running in? Its quite odd. Idle is still very lumpy, but with aircon it, it goes away.

Seems to hesitate sometimes at low rpm when you give it the boot, which makes me think theres some sort of fuel overload going on down low???

I'm not a mechanic so I dont know. 300+ kms so far in running it in, mostly highway driving, and fuel consumption seems quite high. 350km for 55l so about 15l/100k which is quite high compared to the 9l/100k it was doing before on the highway.

Im wondering if the chip is tuned right or not, or if it is just the ECU.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 21-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #73
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After the ecu is reset I find it takes quite a while to relearn properly, and it does run very rich (I was somewhere around 18-19l/100 after last reset). Give it a bit of time and it will come good.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 02:51 PM   #74
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
After the ecu is reset I find it takes quite a while to relearn properly, and it does run very rich (I was somewhere around 18-19l/100 after last reset). Give it a bit of time and it will come good.
I figure ill run it everyday this week and see if it improves.
You said you have run on the road and track dyno before, can I ask if they also dyno'd your car in 2nd gear instead of 3rd? And if they used shoot6 mode for your dyno?

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 21-02-2005, 03:15 PM   #75
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, just test mode. They said it would get more in shootout though, but I have always don’t it in test I want to keep it consistent.

Mine were run in 3rd gear so it wouldn’t hit speed limiter.
Old 21-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #76
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

ok thats odd, my speed limiter was removed by the chip, but they are still running me in 2nd gear, according to the speeds on the dyno sheet.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 21-02-2005, 03:36 PM   #77
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dispite what people say, running in different gears makes no difference to power output. I asked the guys at road and track when I was there last. I have had my car run in 4th as well and the results were the same.

I would rather have my car run in lower gears because it doesnt spin the driveshaft as fast (less vibration and wear/tear).
Old 21-02-2005, 04:38 PM   #78
Dez
Banned

whats a rough cost of the chip and cam sourbastard...just curious because i was reading some stuff about the I6 engines, and modding them, and wanted to compare $ - kw with what you have...
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 04:53 PM   #79
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Dispite what people say, running in different gears makes no difference to power output. I asked the guys at road and track when I was there last. I have had my car run in 4th as well and the results were the same.

I would rather have my car run in lower gears because it doesnt spin the driveshaft as fast (less vibration and wear/tear).
Wierd, I have watched dyno runs in 3rd and then 2nd right after then 3rd again and the ones in 2nd were always lower. This was at the aufalcon.com dyno day so I'm sure others say it as well. The one I can remember specifically was the TL50.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 05:10 PM   #80
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
Wierd, I have watched dyno runs in 3rd and then 2nd right after then 3rd again and the ones in 2nd were always lower. This was at the aufalcon.com dyno day so I'm sure others say it as well. The one I can remember specifically was the TL50.
I would imagine that this would happen if the dyno operator changed gears without making changes to the dyno software. I am no expert, but AFAIK the operator makes adjustments for gear ratios before the dyno is run and the software figures the rest out. If this was not the case then diff ratios would also affect dyno results, which they dont. Next time I am at road and track (probably soon) Ill ask then to explain exactly how it all works.
Old 21-02-2005, 05:15 PM   #81
Dez
Banned

wouldnt the car be "tired" if it runs 2 straight runs.....and if the 2nd was in 2nd gear, it might be lower as the car gets hotter etc?
Old 21-02-2005, 05:42 PM   #82
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I should have made clear that it was hitting the speed limiter, thus the change of gears but it didn't really help.

oh and just about every second/third run of a car made more power. Don't think the engines were getting 'tired' or that hot at all. in my case it was the third.... aircon off lol
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.

Last edited by DivHunter; 21-02-2005 at 05:44 PM.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 05:49 PM   #83
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
It feels ok, power is definately increased, low down power seems to be returning as the ECU relearns, however it smells weird, im not sure if its a smell from the engine being very rich or some sort of smell from the cam running in? Its quite odd. Idle is still very lumpy, but with aircon it, it goes away.
That doesn't sound like the best reaction to just having everything done and the car back. I guess in comparison when I had the dev5 and no chip i was feeling a tiny bit underwhelmed myself but since the chip I'm more than happy. I would have thought you'd be the same.

Quote:
I'm not a mechanic so I dont know. 300+ kms so far in running it in, mostly highway driving, and fuel consumption seems quite high. 350km for 55l so about 15l/100k which is quite high compared to the 9l/100k it was doing before on the highway.

Im wondering if the chip is tuned right or not, or if it is just the ECU.
I'd give it two weeks of driving and if it's not all good then take it back. My fuel economy is worse since the cam install but I'm thinking the enthusiastic driving is to blame for that.

Maybe even get a 2nd opinion from somewhere....

Old 21-02-2005, 06:00 PM   #84
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
whats a rough cost of the chip and cam sourbastard...just curious because i was reading some stuff about the I6 engines, and modding them, and wanted to compare $ - kw with what you have...
chip was 720 including dyno runs & installation
Cam was 350 by itself
regrind so it didnt destroy springs was 90
Cam Install labour was 110

Dyno runs done after cam install were free because of having to come back 3 times to get the job done. Usually they charge 120 an hour for that.

Edit: I wouldnt compare against $ / KW anyway because dyno's just arent that accurate. I'd compare $ against 10ths of seconds on the track.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Last edited by Sourbastard; 21-02-2005 at 06:02 PM. Reason: cause me forgot
Old 21-02-2005, 06:06 PM   #85
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Yer mate I agree.I got 109 on one dyno ..mdx, 141 one week later on another.I know that on dyno day it will be 128 rwkws.Its how it makes you feel that makes a difference.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 07:13 PM   #86
Dez
Banned

i wasn't just going by kw as such, i was trying to compare the cost of what you did to your car, against the DEV packages that i was reading about, and see what kind of power u were getting with your setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
chip was 720 including dyno runs & installation
$720? i thought they were over the $1k mark?
Old 21-02-2005, 09:15 PM   #87
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My chip was $600 from road and track, but I installed it myself. I guess the 5 minutes it took saved me $120.
Old 21-02-2005, 09:17 PM   #88
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
My chip was $600 from road and track, but I installed it myself. I guess the 5 minutes it took saved me $120.
AU isnt an install your own job anymore, theres a few things that need to be soldered. Still, for the price, the CT is hard to beat.

Old 21-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #89
Dez
Banned

well its good to see that its not priced on the wrong side of $1000. makes it a more realistic mod for me if i get an E series or AU later down the track...
Old 22-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #90
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Got some figures from road and track, the following is the cam specs

Lift
Inlet 528
Outlet 500

Duration
Inlet 270
Outlet 263