Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-02-2005, 12:56 AM   #121
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Something is wrong there, that DEV5 cam should not taper off at high rpms, it should keep climbing to redline.

Maybe the extractors are at fault, or the cam hasn't been clocked up properly, or both.

Rick.
Looking at the graph soxx the old dyno sheet follows the same pattern.Could it just be the way that particular dyno reads?
On the Croydon dyno it does not follow the same pattern after dev 5 cam look at page 6 on this thread.Hmm???

Last edited by Stav; 13-02-2005 at 12:59 AM.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 05:29 AM   #122
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
The std XR6 cam vs Dev5 cam is surprising not much in it!
Would the lack of headwork account for the reason why the difference is not as high as you expected ?

Imo the Unichip brings the package alive on each count. Each time it made the car that much better.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 05:31 AM   #123
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Something is wrong there, that DEV5 cam should not taper off at high rpms, it should keep climbing to redline.

Maybe the extractors are at fault, or the cam hasn't been clocked up properly, or both.
Is it easy to check that the cam has been dialled in right ?

It would shit me if it wasn't as that would then throw off the current tune if it was adjusted, wouldn't it ? :

Both you and John have seen the headers I have. Rick you mentioned the primaries were very big...."robbing torque"...way different to the pacies and JMM ones.

I wonder how a pair of JMM ones would change things ?

There'd be no point in changing the headers just yet, as yet again, it'd mean another retune of the chip to suit.

I think I'll hold out til the headwork is done for that.....although the pacies aren't that pricey are they....

Wonder if I can get off work next wednesday for a trial run.

In the beginning when I committed to the dev 5 cam (but none of the other JMM gear), I knew it was gonna be hit and miss and a bit of an experiment...I knew I'd be the guinea pig in this test. So far I'm not disappointed. Obviously more power is better but if I can work out what's not gel-ing with this combo it'd def be helpful for future choices for modifications.

Old 13-02-2005, 05:33 AM   #124
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Looking at the graph soxx the old dyno sheet follows the same pattern.Could it just be the way that particular dyno reads?

My previous sheets are all here in this link.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v494/loxxr6/

They all seem to look similar at 170/180km/hr....

Old 13-02-2005, 08:31 AM   #125
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

I thought the dev 5 would change the power and torque curves push them both higher and flatter towards the top end. i mean thats how it feels to drive doesn't it. slightly worse down low but a kick from 3000 and never giving in till limiter cuts it.?
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 09:03 AM   #126
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
On the Croydon dyno it does not follow the same pattern after dev 5 cam look at page 6 on this thread.Hmm???
If it is the way the dyno reads, it's bunk.
The dyno shouldn't read any particular way, it should simply measure how much power the engine produces.

Rick.
Old 13-02-2005, 09:09 AM   #127
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Would the lack of headwork account for the reason why the difference is not as high as you expected ?
The porting would only make perhaps 10kw difference IMO.
Quote:
Imo the Unichip brings the package alive on each count. Each time it made the car that much better.
The chip should feel better through the 2000-4000rpm range, however the cam should annihilate the chip above 4000rpm, as the chip can only improve the AF ratios, whereas the cam will improve total air flow at high revs.
As a consequence AF ratios are also improved, however maybe not as good as they could be, hence the improvement with the chip.

Rick.
Old 13-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #128
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Is it easy to check that the cam has been dialled in right ?
Yes, if you know how.
Quote:
It would shit me if it wasn't as that would then throw off the current tune if it was adjusted, wouldn't it ? :
Yep, any change will effect the AF ratios, however a cam dial in would probably not effect it much.
Quote:
Both you and John have seen the headers I have. Rick you mentioned the primaries were very big...."robbing torque"...way different to the pacies and JMM ones.
Those Pacemakers looked pretty ordinary, and yes if the primaries are too big, you will lose midrange power, but I suspect it could also be hurting top end power to if they are aren't scavenging as well as they should.

I know a lot of people aren't convinced when the JMM boys claim that other headers don't work with there cams, but the dyno doesn't lie.
Quote:
I wonder how a pair of JMM ones would change things ?
It could be an expensive experiment, though I may have something here you'll be interested in, PM me.
Quote:
There'd be no point in changing the headers just yet, as yet again, it'd mean another retune of the chip to suit.

I think I'll hold out til the headwork is done for that.....although the pacies aren't that pricey are they....

Wonder if I can get off work next wednesday for a trial run.

In the beginning when I committed to the dev 5 cam (but none of the other JMM gear), I knew it was gonna be hit and miss and a bit of an experiment...I knew I'd be the guinea pig in this test. So far I'm not disappointed. Obviously more power is better but if I can work out what's not gel-ing with this combo it'd def be helpful for future choices for modifications.
If I were you, I would wait for that dyno day so you can compare it to other cars. My old XH will be there, and that's a pretty decent reference point.

Rick.

Last edited by Sox; 13-02-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 11:30 PM   #129
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
It could be an expensive experiment, though I may have something here you'll be interested in, PM me.
PM sent.

Quote:
If I were you, I would wait for that dyno day so you can compare it to other cars. My old XH will be there, and that's a pretty decent reference point.
Sweet. That'll def be a good comparo as it it'll be under the same conditions.

Old 16-02-2005, 12:01 AM   #130
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Hows it running loxx?
Old 20-02-2005, 01:45 AM   #131
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Very good. I've hardly been driving lately but the odd spurt here and there is still providing entertainment. I'm not yet bored with how it goes. Most of my runs have been at night in the cool air. I'm just waiting on someone to give me a go lol.

I tried lighting the tyres up the other day - i've never really done it in a manual before - and the backs lit up without any trouble at all. The car kicked sideways and smoked away haha.

Running premium (although i don't have to) makes me cry sometimes due to the cost but I'm getting the most out of the engine so I guess its worth it.

The next minor mod is the supplementary air intake in the box but I just need to get a hold of a drill so i can punch some holes in for the piping. The BA intake pipe will also be on the cards. More air might help a tiny bit...

I'm really hanging on getting the headwork done and bringing it up to the power some more but it prob won't happen til mid year at the earliest.

If I can structure my pay/flex time right then I'll aim for a wsid run in the next few weeks to get some times down.

Old 21-02-2005, 09:35 PM   #132
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Its a bit late but here are the pics of the r00ted guides that came out the car.

Old 21-02-2005, 10:20 PM   #133
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Interesting, something to look out for.

I wonder why they would seem to suffer so much for a relatively low mileage.

looks like over tensioning but how did that happen?
Old 21-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #134
Stav
Smile

I recognise that!!!! That is the result of a cylinder head removal and the guy cracked the guides.I know because ive done it a long time ago on eb
Old 22-02-2005, 08:01 AM   #135
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

yes sounds likely a rough and ready cyl head gasket repair.
Old 22-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #136
EFFalcon
Last warning

very common problem with the guide... ALWAYS brakes
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #137
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I was told that they're a common problem and was very lucky that the head gasket was ok and didn't need doing.

The car is on about the 120k mark for mileage.

Old 22-02-2005, 05:28 PM   #138
Stav
Smile

You would think that ford would have made an alloy guides?
Old 22-02-2005, 05:34 PM   #139
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
You would think that ford would have made an alloy guides?
And make it even weaker?

Rick.
Old 22-02-2005, 05:44 PM   #140
Stav
Smile

Isn't there a tougher material?
Old 22-02-2005, 05:49 PM   #141
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Isn't there a tougher material?
They need to re-design them, as they have several points where the material is very thin.

I think you'll find though that in most cases they have broken because tensioners sieze, which in turn allows the timing chain to flog about - Or they have broken when some has done a head gasket.

Rick.
Old 22-02-2005, 06:46 PM   #142
Walkinshaw
Two > One

/me is guilty of breaking the guides when changing a head gasket. They are patheticaly brittle

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post